• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•06-08•17 - Ponies trampled by Runner, Mountain Between #1 & #2

I said it in the other thread, but the dream was dead as soon as Stallone announced Dec 2018 as the release date. No way Coogler was going to start and finish Creed 2 in that short of an amount of time.

December 2018 now gives us:

Bumblebee
Animated Spider-Man
Aquaman
Mary Poppins Returns
Creed 2

Something is still telling me that Han Solo is going to get bumped too.

That's pretty packed, and it's funny to think that all those movies combined will probably still make less than the next 2 Decembers.

Dabanton

The idea that, in 2017, people still "go in blind" for a film without doing any research whatsoever about whether or not it fits their interests is mind-boggling to me.

It’s sadly how a lot of people go to the cinema.

People deciding to see a film at the last minute or getting to the cinema and picking whatever film has the most interesting poster or is starting in the next 5 mins or which one they’ve been bombarded with non stop TV adverts.

Cheebo

Banned
A lot of theaters seem to be charging an inflated $25 a ticket for Star Wars IMAX showings on the Thursday preview night I have noticed.

I assume that price hike gets counted into its BO returns.

berzeli

Banned
I don't think expecting anything close to $487M overseas is reasonable, but I think that Blade runner has a decent shot at $300M worldwide, which would be disappointment territory instead of outright bomb.
My hope at this stage is $300 million international + whatever it does in the US. Which is still a possibility at this stage. But at lot of that comes down to how it does in South Korea + Japan + China.
Interstellar had a poor opening but great legs in Australia. It's second week was only a 9% drop. Blade runner won't come close to it in the end. Interstellar finished close to 17 million. Blade runner will struggle past the 10 million mark IMO.
Oh it's way too early to call, but it was the comparison offered by Sony and I just examined it a bit further.

AndyVirus

Also, over or under $200 million for Last Jedi's opening weekend? I'm going with the over here.

I don't think there's any way it will be under. Right now I'd say 220m. Globally should be interesting. I have my doubts it'll crack 500m that weekend (China day and date would have done it) but it should be close.

Mario007

I don't think there's any way it will be under. Right now I'd say 220m. Globally should be interesting. I have my doubts it'll crack 500m that weekend (China day and date would have done it) but it should be close.
To be fair China cares as much about Star Wars as the US about Transformers.

Cheebo

Banned
I see it doing less than the last film. Much like when Age of Ultron dropped under the original Avengers.
Same.

It will out-gross Avatar and be the #2 film of all time domestically (I mean, is there even anyone doubting this does 700 mil+ domestically?). But fall short of the 936 mil domestic that The Force Awakens brought in.

I see the range on this one being 770 mil to 830 mil domestic.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Same.

It will out-gross Avatar and be the #2 film of all time domestically (I mean, is there even anyone doubting this does 700 mil+ domestically?). But fall short of the 936 mil domestic that The Force Awakens brought in.

I see the range on this one being 770 mil to 830 mil domestic.
I’ll take that bet. I’m guessing 600 mil domestically m

Cheebo

Banned
I'll take that bet. I'm guessing 600 mil domestically m

Really? You think it will gross more like Rogue One? That seems improbable. A spin-off film last year did over 530 mil. A full out sequel to the film that did over 930 mil grossing more like the spin-off doesn't add up to me.

WaffleTaco

Really? You think it will gross more like Rogue One? That seems improbable. A spin-off film last year did over 530 mil. A full out sequel to the film that did over 930 mil grossing more like the spin-off doesn't add up to me.
I’m probably a little too biased as to how I personally feel about Star Wars as a film...(so yeah I’m like 100% wrong lol)
There's no way it's dropping $335m from TFA.
It could happen!
I mean that is barely above what a spinoff did. It's crazy.

It's like predicting that Avengers 3 will gross more similar to Ant Man than Avengers 2.
Maybe it will if the film is bad. It will be interesting to see how they balance this film, but I think Avengers 3 Part 1 will not be received well. It will be about getting all these people back together as Thanos comes to power. Avengers 3 Part 2 should be decent though and will probably do better than the original Avengers.

Last Jedi could drop 30% from Force Awakens and still be the third highest grossing film ever. Shit, it could drop 50% and be #11 domestic, overtaking the original Star Wars. It will be fine.

A lot of theaters seem to be charging an inflated $25 a ticket for Star Wars IMAX showings on the Thursday preview night I have noticed.

I assume that price hike gets counted into its BO returns.
That's how much it cost for me. They're calling it a fan event. And I noticed some theaters are doing the same thing for Thor so I guess this is something Disney will do going forward.

Jeez. Disney really wants that 1 billion domestic gross.

They have more levers to pull to guarantee that too, like turning the screws on theater owners to bully other films out of imax screens and shaving down their cut of the ticket sales or else no disney movies for you!

Z3M0G

males over 25 represented 50% of the audience and females over 25 were 27%, while males under 25 represented 15% of moviegoers and females under 25 were 8%.

So how do they collect this data, anyways? Are the ticket clerks selecting these when they sell tickets without asking your gender/age?

Cheebo

Banned
That's how much it cost for me. They're calling it a fan event. And I noticed some theaters are doing the same thing for Thor so I guess this is something Disney will do going forward.

I was a little taken aback by it when I saw it. But I gave in... essentially $80 for 3 tickets.

Miles X

Is Wonder Woman still playing anywhere other than the US? It has 496k to overtake Spiderman globally, be shame to get so close but not surpass it!

Also 593k domestically off a true X4 multiplier.

By the looks of it, it has 100k domestic left in it :(

Is Wonder Woman still playing anywhere other than the US? It has 496k to overtake Spiderman globally, be shame to get so close but not surpass it!

Also 593k domestically off a true X4 multiplier.

By the looks of it, it has 100k domestic left in it :(
What a failure.

WaffleTaco

I didn't ever like the sound of Gigantic, so I'm looking forward to their other movie announcement soon.

I am guessing a Zootopia 2 announcement. It's weird how there hasn't been much talk about it considering it grossed a billion dollars.

kswiston

I am guessing a Zootopia 2 announcement. It's weird how there hasn't been much talk about it considering it grossed a billion dollars.

They waited 4 years to announce Frozen 2. I'm sure that we will get a Zootopia sequel, but I am not expecting it soon.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I’m watching Zootopia right now, and by killing Gigantic they’ve ruined one of the best visual gags in that movie. Huge scandal.

Miles X

Apes releases in Japan on Friday, wonder if it'll do enough to push it over $500m WW

Needs $15.1m.

Dawn did $12.7m, Rise did $30.2m.

AndyVirus

What gag?

MEltIK6.png

Anth0ny

December 2018 now gives us:

Bumblebee
Animated Spider-Man
Aquaman
Mary Poppins Returns
Creed 2

Something is still telling me that Han Solo is going to get bumped too.

That's pretty packed, and it's funny to think that all those movies combined will probably still make less than the next 2 Decembers.

oh wow, that is a busy december.

disney needs to confirm han solo going to december already so those movies can spread out a little bit.

It's a Star Wars film. It's going to drop, be seen as a disappointment for some people overreacting, and still make a shit-load of money, because it's Star Wars.

It's the bannings. And that insipid Blade Runner thread.

I've stopped checking those threads lately (the box office disappointment threads) since I know the response is just going to be constant facepalming. Might go into the Thor one since I expect some decent jokes in there.

Been saying it for months, but get ready for a major shitshow once Justice League hits.

And DeathyBoy, have I got plans for you when you lose that JL bet in a few weeks!

It prolly won't. They gotta gag him and keep him out of the public eye when it's pr time tho

But I still think it ends up being highest grossing comic movie this year. But ultimately an appetizer compared to star wars obviously

It prolly won't. They gotta gag him and keep him out of the public eye when it's pr time tho

But I still think it ends up being highest grossing comic movie this year. But ultimately an appetizer compared to star wars obviously

Gotta overtake Wonder Woman domestically for that, and Spider-Man Homecoming for worldwide. Unless Thor does absolutely batshit numbers.

Between Affleck and Whedon (will Whedon even be part of the junket, I wonder. Will Snyder?), that's an unfortunate amount of people in the news for the wrong reasons on one junket.

Top Bottom