• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: The 'PS Vita Isn't A Very Strong Product'

Fixed1979

Better launch period sure, better product? Not so sure about that.

Depends what you mean by better product...actually I don't even think it does matter. The Vita is a better product IMO than the 3DS in nearly every facet.

Cry, "better launch" all you want, a non Naughty Dog Uncharted prequel and a port of Ultimate MVC3 hasn't helped it at all.

People seem to be already forgetting how shitty the 3DS launch was...

highrider

Banned
Well, I'm loving my Vita and not getting much out of my 3DS at the moment. They're both great pieces of hardware that struggled out of the gate. I'm glad the original article addresses that. Miyamoto stresses some important points. I think the Vita needs to re-position itself with a $199 price point and maybe hit a few new notes on the ad campaign. It's a fun system that brings the console experience to life in your hands. Stress that. The ads right now are really uninspired.

Vita doom and gloomers on NeoGAF are a joke. Just like the 3DS ones were a year ago.

No one is denying the Vita's struggles but I get the impression some people want it to fail, just cause, and will find every quote to prove that it will.

this. couldn't have expressed it any better.

filler

Banned
Depends what you mean by better product...actually I don't even think it does matter. The Vita is a better product IMO than the 3DS in nearly every facet.

Better in every facet, except the one that actually matters, GAMES.

Levyne

Banned

let's give the Vita equal market time and see what comes out for it. Unfair to levy 3D Land, FE, Kart, and Uprising against the Vita when those weren't out at launch.

Fixed1979

I'll disagree with that, I really enjoyed Ghost Recon and Mario (World and Kart) got a little bit into the Zelda game but most everything else I bought hasn't really done it for me. If you're a big fan of the Nintendo franchises then you're probably doing alright, for me personally there's already way more games that interest me on Vita in it's relatively short life than have been released for the 3DS. On the rare occasion I pick up my 3DS now it's usually to quickly play Excitebike or another game I got for free. Depends on the experience your looking for.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
by any chance do you know a guy named hyuga at your place of work?

What is it to you? Or is it bad enough that you think I'm of a certain allegiance and it consumes you enough to associate me with someone of whom you have an opinion about? I think I'm moving on from this.

let's give the Vita equal market time and see what comes out for it. Unfair to levy 3D Land, FE, Kart, and Uprising against the Vita when those weren't out at launch.

The point, is that they were either known about before or shortly after launch. This is the problem with Vita.

sphinx

the piano man
DoctorWho said:
Vita doom and gloomers on NeoGAF are a joke. Just like the 3DS ones were a year ago.

are you suggesting that people claiming that Sony has a problem with Vita are just talking non-sense? cause that would be extremely debatable

Kusagari

I like the fact people jumping to the fact because Miyamoto admits 3DS didn't do so well it's suddenly ok to call Vita a bad product too

In HIS opinion, not everyone here agrees

The majority of the gaming public obviously agree with him considering the Vita's horrid performance even compared to 3DS initially.

see5harp

Unfortunately, I sorta agree right now. Super Stardust, Motorstorm RC, and Hot Shots are the only 3 games I like. It seems like it's been weeks since I've even thought about playing my Vita. I don't want console ports and I really don't want to play PSP games.

Fixed1979

are you suggesting that people claiming that Sony has a problem with Vita are just talking non-sense? cause that would be extremely debatable

Personally I believe that without knowing Sony's targets there's little point to debate how big of an issue it is. I have to believe that the 3DS launch at least had to give them pause and have them rethink their launch plans, I'd love to know exactly how concerned they are about it's current state. I'm sure it's not where they wanted it to be right now but how far off is it from their actually launch targets.

gogogow

I'll disagree with that, I really enjoyed Ghost Recon and Mario (World and Kart) got a little bit into the Zelda game but most everything else I bought hasn't really done it for me. If you're a big fan of the Nintendo franchises then you're probably doing alright, for me personally there's already way more games that interest me on Vita in it's relatively short life than have been released for the 3DS. On the rare occasion I pick up my 3DS now it's usually to quickly play Excitebike or another game I got for free. Depends on the experience your looking for.

It's fine to disagree, but I would say the majority of the people who buys a Nintendo console/handheld is to play Nintendo franchises.

Wiz

Playstation All-Stars would have been a great system seller had it been a Vita exclusive. Vita just needs that defining, must have game.

this is weird
i'm pretty sure i remember people saying that a couple months after the 3ds launched too

and then i read his quote

Miyamato didn't, he acknowledged it himself, straight away.

It doesn't even matter; right NOW, the 3DS is outselling the Vita massively.

Diablos54

Personally I believe that without knowing Sony's targets there's little point to debate how big of an issue it is. I have to believe that the 3DS launch at least had to give them pause and have them rethink their launch plans, I'd love to know exactly how concerned they are about it's current state.

Considering how bad the sales have been, Sony needs to be in panic mode. Hell, The 3DS was doing much better sales wise and Nintendo still went into panic mode.

this is weird

i'm pretty sure i remember people saying that a couple months after the 3ds launched too
And the Vita's situation is much worse than the 3DS's was, what does that tell you?

gogogow

Personally I believe that without knowing Sony's targets there's little point to debate how big of an issue it is. I have to believe that the 3DS launch at least had to give them pause and have them rethink their launch plans, I'd love to know exactly how concerned they are about it's current state.

Surely more than 8.000-10.000 a week in Japan. I hope Sony will dedicate a large chunk of their E3 press conference to Vita, can't wait to see what they have in store.

MisterHero

I think his criticisms of both launch windows could also be a criticism of 3rd parties. I mean, if it refers to software variety/quality in general, they have to be part of that complaint too.

Cipherr

I've arrived at the profound conclusion that platform wars are basically race wars.

Sega fans are the slaves, right?

Let my people go.

This entire line of posts is amazing.

It doesn't matter, noone, not even this interview is focused on what someones personal opinion of the launch lineups is. Its based on the consumers reception of the two handhelds. And they were both received poorly. How much you liked one launch lineup over the other is irrelevant. Never mind the fact that Miyamoto himself remebered exactly how shitty the 3DS launch was...

Kusagari

Surely more than 8.000-10.000 a week in Japan. I hope Sony will dedicate a large chunk of their E3 press conference to Vita, can't wait to see what they have in store.

They better considering we still know almost nothing about games coming - if they are coming.

gogogow

Playstation All-Stars would have been a great system seller had it been a Vita exclusive. Vita just needs that defining, must have game.

And LBP Karting, the Vita needs these games much more than the PS3. I have no idea what Sony is thinking.

Penguin

Wii Sports illustrated what could be done with motion controls which was the selling point for the Wii. 3D was supposed to be the 3DS's equivalent.

EDIT: And one day you're going to realize that people devalue gaming machines.

Wii Sports Illustrated would be an awesome name for the next Wii Sports title. Perhaps give it a magazine feel.

sphinx

the piano man

how could sony not dedicate like, 90% of their conference to Vita? it's its first E3 with the thing on the market, this has to be the absolute blowout of Vita gaming extravaganza and all that jazz, what are they gonna talk in their conference, PS3 multiplat games?? fuck that, we know GTA5 is coming there no need to use precious time on that.

if Sony doesn't blow me away with Vita this e3 then fuck them, if they won't take their product seriously I don't see why should I.

how could sony not dedicate like, 90% of their conference to Vita? it's its first E3 with the thing on the market, this has to be the absolute blowout of Vita gaming extravaganza and all that jazz, what are they gonna talk in their conference, PS3 multiplat games?? fuck that, we know GTA5 is coming there no need to use precious time on that.

if Sony doesn't blow me away with Vita this e3 then fuck them, if they won't take their product seriously I don't know why should I.

*cue 45 minute blowout on Sony All Stars*

cyborg009

Banned
Considering how bad the sales have been, Sony needs to be in panic mode. Hell, The 3DS was doing much better sales wise and Nintendo still went into panic mode.

And the Vita's situation is much worse than the 3DS's was, what does that tell you?

3DS didn't have much competition during it release while the Vita does(its cheaper than the PSP!). but regardless they do need bring their A game at E3

Fixed1979

if Sony doesn't blow me away with Vita this e3 then fuck them, if they won't take their product seriously I don't see why should I.

Don't disagree with the first part. This will definitively be an important event for the Vita, hopefully they don't blow it.

gogogow

if Sony doesn't blow me away with Vita this e3 then fuck them, if they won't take their product seriously I don't know why should I.

I hope so, the Vita really needs the games and attention. But knowing Sony, they will probably demonstrate, LBP Karting, GOW:A, Playstation All-Stars, Bioshock Move and whatever EA DLC partnership they have, 15 min. per game.

I really like the PSP for the creative & fun games with cool/unique aesthetic such as Patapon, Locoroco, Half Minute Hero, Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe, Crush, Holy Batman/My Lord series.
Can't believe there isn't anything that's looks as charming graphically with interesting gameplay mechanics for PSVita, and it is the main reason I haven't bought it.

Levyne

Banned
I hope so, the Vita really needs the games and attention. But knowing Sony, they will probably demonstrate, LBP Karting, GOW:A, Playstation All-Stars, Bioshock Move and whatever EA DLC partnership they have, 15 min. per game.

You forgot charts. Don't they usually have some charts?

Though they often do them in a fairly neat way, like with the LBP integration that one time.

Maedhros

It's like this thread is a flamebait for system wars... seriously, how can people even not have a system war on a thread were the title is a bait and there's not enough information?

zroid

Banned
You forgot charts. Don't they usually have some charts?

Though they often do them in a fairly neat way, like with the LBP integration that one time.

That was effing awesome. Will gladly sit through ~10 more minutes of charts if it's presented like that again.

Hopefully Sony have a way to address this. I'm talking price cuts in line with compelling , well marketed software

Oh who am I kidding

ReaperXL7

*cue 45 minute blowout on Sony All Stars*

No that will be the week before E3.

This thread is something special, I love my Vita there is no doubt about it, but I really don't see why it and the 3DS can't co-exsist. Despite them both being handhelds I don't think that they would automatically appeal to the same kind of audience for a variety of reasons.

I think the three big conferences are going to shine light on Vitas future greatly, if Sony shows up to all three (E3, Gamescom, and TGS) and ignores, or treats the Vita lightly, then yeah it's probably going to have a rough time doing anything. If they decide to get agressive and have stuff to show from all three markets, then it can come back and remain a stable, and great platform for games.

They need to show games, and that third parties are interested in bringing major games to it in the long term, and they do need at least a slight price drop. If they can atleast price the wi-fi model at $199 and include a memory card then I think that will make a big difference in the Vita being competative on a price scale.

Tookay

Between this and the Penny Arcade Kickstarter comic, some of GAF needs to brush up on reading comprehension.

Yeah this is embarrassing. I know that not reading the first post is a bannable offense, but I think the mods really need to start clamping down on the people who just post immediate kneejerk reactions to the thread titles without even checking the discussion beforehand. Additionally, we need to have a discussion on inflammatory, poorly paraphrased titles, which only encourage this kind of behavior. I mean, come on, it's Miyamoto; he very rarely bags on the competition without good reason. Use some common sense people. Chances are, if it's a harsh comment, it's usually a blog twisting something small into something big for hits.

Top Bottom