• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are nomodern movies or tv adapting lovecraft?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Wouldn't an anthology tv show be great? Each season could be an expanded version of a Lovecraft story. This is actually what I thought American Horror Story was going to be when it started. Boy was I wrong.

If not tv then where are the A Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Dunwich Horror, and Call of Cthulu movie adaptations?

I feel like cloverfield is the closest we have gotten.

Ubername

Banned
Yeah i thought american horror story was gonna be this too. Damn is that show bad. you could wake me out of a deep sleep with the dialogue of that show bc it is just facepalm after facepalm

It's going to be because he was a proper, full-bodied, no-messing-about racist. Remember the laughable REEEEfest over that HBO show they are looking to make where the south won the American civil war. Times that by a 100 if anything from HP got optioned today. Twitter would be interesting, to say the least.

It's going to be because he was a proper, full-bodied, no-messing-about racist. Remember the laughable REEEEfest over that HBO show they are looking to make where the south won the American civil war. Times that by a 100 if anything from HP got optioned today. Twitter would be interesting, to say the least.

Ironically, several of Lovecraft's best works have themes that go against his xenophobia. "At the Mountains of Madness" is the most obvious.

"The Horror at Red Hook, his most innately racist work, is also one of his worst. And even then you can just replace "foreign cultists" with "cultists" and change the demographics to get rid of that element.

Yeah, that's why 30 years ago we were getting tons of Lovecraft adaptations. Once people started getting on social networks and caring about racism they just dried right up.

---

Lovecraft is really, really hard to do visually. That's kind of the point, it's generally people encountering the unknowable. But I think it mostly comes down to theme and how depressing most of his stuff is. We just don't see that much in mass market horror, where the monsters are usually defeated. And at the same time you can't really do an adaption of the Call of Cthulhu on a few million dollar budget like you can make a Raw or the Witch.

Most of his stories are also quite short by film standards. Obviously you can pad them out to a degree -- and this isn't always bad, I feel Dagon is surprisingly good -- but I don't see how you could make a film out of a story like Pickman's Model, which aside from its length would actually be relatively easy to adapt.

But just on the whole his stuff is very antithetical to the vast majority of horror film. It's not about monsters killing people or serial killers or ghosts, Lovecraft wrote about an unimaginably vast universe that simply doesn't care at all about humanity. There's very little evil in his work, it's more about apathy and how horrifying that can be.

PSlayer

Probably one the reasons is the fact that is hard to visually adapt something whose whole concept is "beings that do not have a form that our brains are capable to process."

It ends up being downgraded to "giant slugs being awaken by crazy cults".

jason10mm

Gold Member
The "Masters of Horror" anthology from a few years back (which was pretty good all around) did 1, maybe 2. Of course those were directed by Stuart Gordon, the only guy to consistently do HP well. And there is Hellboy, stuff like Stranger Things, lots of lovecraftian themes pop up in media.

Direct adaptations of huis stuff never seem to work well, probably because they are almost all journal style stories with only 1-2 characters and almost no dialogue. It is no wonder why Innsmouth gets the lions share of adaptations, it has actual characters.

kingbean

I would assume its because it would be hard to adapt well?

Any racism is easily removed from the stories.

Most of his stuff has been done but not directly. A lot of modern horror would probably be different if he didn't write as much as he did.

Probably because most DIRECT Lovecraft adaptations are public domain. You can't copyright Cthulu or anything like that, which makes it more difficult to exclusively make money off of and control the brand.

That said lots of shows and movies still use Lovecraft as inspiration on some level. As mentioned before Stranger Things, as well as pretty much anything supernatural written by Stephen King, borrow heavily from Lovecraft.

Monocle

Less marketable than other things, maybe. Lovecraft's influence is pervasive though. Sometimes subtle, but present in so much of our modern horror and fantasy.

OP you should watch The Void if you haven't already, it's a fucking fantastic movie. It's not an adaptation of Lovecraft, but it expands on its themes in a different but equally interesting direction as Bloodborne did.

Yeah, that's why 30 years ago we were getting tons of Lovecraft adaptations. Once people started getting on social networks and caring about racism they just dried right up.

---

Almost exactly 30 years ago we got Re-Animator and From Beyond. Two more than in recent times. Congratulations, you torpedoed your own shitty zinger.

Almost exactly 30 years ago we got Re-Animator and From Beyond. Two more than in recent times. Congratulations, you torpedoed your own shitty zinger.

Ah yes, two faithful adaptations if I've ever seen one. The 80s really were packed with Lovecraft films!

You made a dumb argument -- Lovecraft has never seen heavy film adaptation, and not because of some easily removed racism -- relax and move on.

(And I do like both films, just for the record, though his more recent Dagon adaptation is both better and more faithful in my eyes. Also based on a far more racist original work, for bonus points.)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Ah yes, two faithful adaptations if I've ever seen one. The 80s really were packed with Lovecraft films!

You made a dumb argument -- Lovecraft has never seen heavy film adaptation -- relax and move on.

(And I do like both films, just for the record, though his more recent Dagon adaptation is both better and more faithful in my eyes. Also based on a far more racist original work, for bonus points.)

Is lovecraft blatantly racist? I must confess I haven't read all of his stuff. I didn't think A Shadow over Innsmouth, The Dunwich Horror, At the Mountains of Madness, The Color Out of Space, or some of the other big ones had blatant racism.

Is lovecraft blatantly racist? I must confess I haven't read all of his stuff. I didn't think A Shadow over Innsmouth, The Dunwich Horror, At the Mountains of Madness, The Color Out of Space, or some of the other big ones had blatant racism.

I think if you want to be gentler you could say most of his stuff is extremely xenophobic, and racism sometimes partnered up with that. But yeah, his stuff was filled with racism, and Lovecraft himself was definitely racist outside of his writing. And not just in a way that was so universal to the era, like some fans proclaim. He was considered especially racist even by his contemporaries.

We had a decent discussion over this on GAF relatively recently, sadly I can't seem to find it. But here's a relatively recent essay on the subject that you might find illuminating.

An excerpt that gets to something I find especially intriguing about Lovecraft:

Laura Miller said:
In Lovecraft's case, this impulse is particularly perverse because the power of his fiction derives from the hot mess of its creator's psyche. Like Poe, Lovecraft speaks to a gnarled, doomy and phobic corner of human nature that all of us visit from time to time.

Without defending his racism by any means, there's an argument to be made that he wouldn't have been able to write what he did without it. It's an interesting situation.

You made a dumb argument -- Lovecraft has never seen heavy film adaptation, and not because of some easily removed racism -- relax and move on.

You know you've lost the argument when you have to move the goalposts that badly. "Bu-bu-but the adaptions weren't very faithful!" Come on lad.

Top Bottom