• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel 2 | OT | The best Android phone gets better

TMC

Got my XL in today. It's on the charger now. Case supposed to show up by end of day, but still need to order a screen protector.

Had one on order from Amazon but people are consistently giving it bad reviews because of the adhesive not sticking and the protector sliding around while touching the screen so I cancelled it.

Anyone have any recommendations?

No input regarding screen protectors, but what are your initial thoughts on the screen?

Plumpman

Can anyone with a non-XL2 comment on the black crush issue some people are seeing?
Is it overblown or noticeable? I watch Netflix in bed sometimes and it would be a major problem if the blacks were crushed out.

Phionoxx

No input regarding screen protectors, but what are your initial thoughts on the screen?

I don't have any thoughts yet, I literally unboxed it and plugged it in to charge and then went out to lunch. I'll start working on migrating over to it later today. I'm coming from a Nexus 6 so pretty excited.

I have my phone now, but I didn't realize my old phone has a Micro SIM. Now I need to visit a T-Mobile store. :mad:

Also, the blue on the screen at anything other than a direct viewing angle is intense. People are going to hate it.

Edit: Yeah, this might be bad enough for me to return it and get a non-XL instead.

TheZink

Just got my regular Pixel 2. Already gonna return it. The screen is uneven color wise. Top is a cold tent and the bottom is much warmer. I hate that kind of stuff. I’m a little annoyed right now.

Plumpman

Just got my regular Pixel 2. Already gonna return it. The screen is uneven color wise. Top is a cold tent and the bottom is much warmer. I hate that kind of stuff. I’m a little annoyed right now.

Is it possible its a defective unit?
Seems like there is so many issues with both versions regarding the screens. :(

TheZink

Is it possible its a defective unit?
Seems like there is so many issues with both versions regarding the screens. :(
It’s not horrible but I’m not spending $650 on something that will bug me every time I look at it. Literally as soon as I turned it on it was obvious.

Does anyone know how to get the Now Playing thing to work? Nothing is happening for me.

And I am also not liking the curved edges. There's too much light reflection.

Jeffrey

my xl2 is here. the screen is actually hilarious. the setup screen is white, but even slight tilt it goes blue. Pretty neat effect if you turn the phone back and forth. Like those old 3d card things you had as a kid.

Kevyt

my xl2 is here. the screen is actually hilarious. the setup screen is white, but even slight tilt it goes blue. Pretty neat effect if you turn the phone back and forth. Like those old 3d card things you had as a kid.

So the screen is bad?

So RED doesn't have the first holographic phone.

jaydogg691

I just ordered a Pixel 2 XL this afternoon. Should be here first week of November.

Has Google ever stated whether or not it can display HDR videos? I know the Pixel 1 got software updated to support HDR content, but wondering if my Pixel 2 XL is gonna be able to watch Digital Foundry's new HDR content in its intended color and contrast.

That's the only feature that's a mystery to me at this point, but clearly since I ordered it already, it's not make or break.

Also a bit bummed about lack of vivid color in favor of naturalistic accuracy. I hope Google can add an option for more vivid colors, as its my personal preference on mobile devices -- I like having a screen that just pops with color.

I would also like to known this.

Every video review I’ve seen so far has not addressed whether the screen is HDR capable.

HDR on phones has been a main interest of mine since the Note 7 unveil (RIP). It would have been my main gauge on my next 4K TV purchase.

Now that the phone is out in the wild hopefully someone will be able to confirm this.

Cancelled my XL and went placed an order on a regular. I wanted the more modern screen of the XL but I should've stuck with my gut feeling that LG can't not mess up a phone. The screen is either bad or QC is absolute garbage on it. If only Samsung would make another Google play edition for the s8 I would buy it in an instant but I can't stand the crap they put on their devices.

Cancelled my XL and went placed an order on a regular. I wanted the more modern screen of the XL but I should've stuck with my gut feeling that LG can't not mess up a phone. The screen is either bad or QC is absolute garbage on it. If only Samsung would make another Google play edition for the s8 I would buy it in an instant but I can't stand the crap they put on their devices.
Yeah, I do wonder if it's QC because I see people defending it online, and I'm not sure its defensible. I put it next to my wife's iPhone 6s and my own o.g. HTC One, and it looks blue at anything other than straight on.

Here's mine:

6GMwP4j.jpg

Moreche

I’m so tempted to get this over the iPhone X as I’m due to upgrade from my iPhone 6.
I think I’m just so sick of the Apple UI decisions and changes, I absolutely hate that top left back button on the status bar and the notification screen on the Pixel looks so much better.
I’m sure it’ll have its quirks but Apples pricing on its stuff at the moment and future does nothing for me. I also think the way google is using all of its data collection and AI, machine learning is something Apple could never compare to them on.

Ash735

Don't worry guys, Google is "maybe" thinking of fixing the screen issue people are having, you'll just have to pay to send it in for repair though, how kind of them! :'D

Yeah, I do wonder if it's QC because I see people defending it online, and I'm not sure its defensible. I put it next to my wife's iPhone 6s and my own o.g. HTC One, and it looks blue at anything other than straight on.
It has to be. I'm putting mine at all kinds of angles and not seeing any blue.
I haven't compared it to any other phone though. The white definitely isn't pure white, but I just don't see the blue. I'll compare it to my old phone and my wife's XL 2 when I get home

Lace

I've been really interested in the Pixel 2XL ever since the original was announced. However, the consistency and severity of bad screens is really pushing me away from purchasing one. At this point it appears that Samsung is the only manufacturer who can consistently put out high quality mobile OLED panels.

I am going to return my xl for a smaller one this screen is awful, it's fine straight on, and the colours are actually quite accurate. but the tint at any angle other than straight is bad for a phone that cost so much.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I am going to return my xl for a smaller one this screen is awful, it's fine straight on, and the colours are actually quite accurate. but the tint at any angle other than straight is bad for a phone that cost so much.

I don't understand, who views their phone at an angle?

I have my phone now, but I didn't realize my old phone has a Micro SIM. Now I need to visit a T-Mobile store. :mad:

Also, the blue on the screen at anything other than a direct viewing angle is intense. People are going to hate it.

Edit: Yeah, this might be bad enough for me to return it and get a non-XL instead.

You can actually cut down a micro to a nano... obviously you have to be careful. It worked for me when I bought a 6P.

Jigolo

Damn phone looks phenomenal with a few caveats. I can't wait to see custom Google SoCs in action. Maybe 2019. They just bought HTC and phones are usually made throughout 18 months so Pixel 3 is definitely not gonna be all Google. Pixel 4 should be all Google built from the ground up. Hopefully something happens with Fuschia by then..

You can actually cut down a micro to a nano... obviously you have to be careful. It worked for me when I bought a 6P.
The guy at the T-Mobile store did this for me for free ... which means I'm committed to this phone now.

Luckily, everything except the blueshift is incredible.

LogicStep

I'll know when I get it but from the screens I don't think it'll bother me.

What's the supposed benefit of the polarized screen?

Mr. RPG

The Pixel 2 has even more hardware issues than the first generation Pixels had...

I'm seriously considering going back to an iPhone. :(

I really wish the Pixel 2 had smaller bezels like the XL...

Top Bottom