• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, Dorne is likely to side with her, because feminism and Lannister hate. And I don't think anyone but the Lannister-Tyrell forces would even bother.

Was there any talk of Dorne? There are no slaves in chains, absolutely no reason at all for them to even consider stopping there unless I'm forgetting something.

Also, don't forget that Varys went off somewhere in Westeros to try and recruit an ally, who knows who that could be.

Plus I don't think the North will step up to prevent Dany from taking the throne, they will not sacrifice greater numbers knowing what the real threat is. Not to mention the likelihood of there even being a crown by the time Dany gets there is slim.

If the rumors and speculation are true. Then she will arrive there as she saw back in season 2. The Red Keep will be burnt, and she will end up in the North at The Wall just as she saw in her vision, hallucination or whatever it was.

Brashnir

What if the ending to the series is just that whoever wins the iron throne just ends up getting annihilated by the winter and the whitewalkers. All of humanity just ends. Then all the struggles and pettiness would be for nothing in the end.

It wouldn't be all of Humanity, unless the WW can get across the Narrow Sea. (And if they could do that, they'd just go around the wall)

But yeah, #TeamWhiteWalkers all the way, man.

Grinchy

Banned
It wouldn't be all of Humanity, unless the WW can get across the Narrow Sea. (And if they could do that, they'd just go around the wall)

But yeah, #TeamWhiteWalkers all the way, man.

The winter itself could be quite devastating even without encountering any whitewalkers. But if they can reach high population areas and animate full cities of dead citizens, I could see it being the end of humanity.

Does Winter actually matter to the rest of the world or is that just a Westeros thing?

I mean, Winter is a season, so everyone to a degree is effected by the year long seasons.

There is a place in the east that is named "The land of always summer", just like up north near the poles it's "the land of always winter".

So I would think that the seasons work just like they work for us, just longer and more random.

The threat would be absolutely pointless, as would half of this story if it didn't.

Let's all just move to Essos.

I mean, just because mass migration is an option to survive the White Walkers, it doesn't mean it's a viable option.

-griffy-

Banned
Was there any talk of Dorne? There are no slaves in chains, absolutely no reason at all for them to even consider stopping there unless I'm forgetting something.

It's just logically, if they're going to take boats from Slaver's Bay then they're going to travel past Dorne first on their way to King's Landing. And we can assume Dany would be into a group of women who overthrew the previous patriarchy and who happens to hate the Lannisters. Dany could land in Dorne, form an alliance and travel north from there.

What if the ending to the series is just that whoever wins the iron throne just ends up getting annihilated by the winter and the whitewalkers. All of humanity just ends. Then all the struggles and pettiness would be for nothing in the end.

I've always thought the ending will probably be total destruction...save for one blue rose that blooms amidst the rubble.

P.S. Can you imagine being Daenerys and finally making it to Westeros...only to find it under attack by ice monster assholes?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The threat would be absolutely pointless, as would half of this story if it didn't.

Let's all just move to Essos.

I've never really gotten the impression that people from Essos fear that long winter like Westeros does. I'm inclined to believe that Essos might just get "normal" winters.

I don't know how sansa would know. Little Finger and that brat had resolved to help them a few episodes ago but when they finally met up it was more hostile. There's a chunk of plot missing because the last time they met was more confrontational than anything.

Either I way I dont see how you could possibly blame her for that.

Well she never mentioned she had sent for it atall even when pushed into a near argument about helping and waiting for longer she never says "Ive asked for help from X he could be here soon" (about 12 hours soon infact)

I get its all done for dramatic effect as well but I guess she will have alot of explaining to do.

I mean, just because mass migration is an option to survive the White Walkers, it doesn't mean it's a viable option.

But it's an option.

Let me ask you a question, does winter bring with it the White Walkers, or do the White Walkers bring winter along with them?

I'm betting it's the latter.

If Westeros is fucked, soon Essos will follow.

Einchy

But it's an option.

Let me ask you a question, does winter bring with it the White Walkers, or do the White Walkers bring winter along with them?

I'm betting it's the latter.

If Westeros is fucked, soon Essos will follow.

I think long winters are just things that happen without the White Walkers being involved.

Watching season 1 currently and someone asked Tyrion how many winters he had lived through, he said 8-9.

Neospartan

Neo Member

Also, don't forget that Varys went off somewhere in Westeros to try and recruit an ally, who knows who that could be.

I, and many other people apparently, think Varys went to Dorne. It's the closest part of Westeros to Mereen, they were able to fend off Aegon's Conquest of the place, and they have reasons to ally with Dany. Don't know if Varys knows that last bit, but since he was the Master of Whispers back in King's Landing, it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Plus I don't think the North will step up to prevent Dany from taking the throne, they will not sacrifice greater numbers knowing what the real threat is. Not to mention the likelihood of there even being a crown by the time Dany gets there is slim.

If the rumors and speculation are true. Then she will arrive there as she saw back in season 2. The Red Keep will be burnt, and she will end up in the North at The Wall just as she saw in her vision, hallucination or whatever it was.

Which is why I reduced the whole Westeros' numbers to just the Lannisters+Tyrells.

And yeah, I think (episode 10 speculation following)
Cersei will try to only burn the Sept, but will be too stupid to realize the whole city is rigged or that she might start a chain reaction and burn everything down.
But I'm just playing with the numbers here :p

I think long winters are just things that happen without the White Walkers being involved.

Watching season 1 currently and someone asked Tyrion how many winters he had lived through, he said 8-9.

But those are natural winters. There has to be a difference between long winters and the long night.

MK_768

Yup.

I wonder, has the show ever established what awakens the Walkers? Like why are they awake for this winter and not the previous ones?

I, and many other people apparently, think Varys went to Dorne. It's the closest part of Westeros to Mereen, they were able to fend off Aegon's Conquest of the place, and they have reasons to ally with Dany. Don't know if Varys knows that last bit, but since he was the Master of Whispers back in King's Landing, it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Yeah, that could definitely be where he's off to.

I remember him saying going to Westeros though for some reason.

I think it was mentioned when Arya and the Hound helped some farmers, the winter takes like 7 months , when Jaime saved Brienne he said those people wont survive the winter alone since they dont have enough food

Neospartan

Neo Member
Yeah, that could definitely be where he's off to.

I remember him saying going to Westeros though for some reason.

Yeah, he said that, we're all speculating here.
I'm guessing he didn't say where specifically in Westeros to leave himself some room for turned down alliances?

But those are natural winters. There has to be a difference between long winters and the long night.

Yep, about an order of magnitude.

Yup.

I wonder, has the show ever established what awakens the Walkers? Like why are they awake for this winter and not the previous ones?

Neither the books nor the show has established that. There are theories, most of them based on book evidence, but that's about it.

There doesn't.

So you think that the weather would remain the same in Essos regardless of the weather in Westeros?

I doubt it. It's not just winter, it was called the long night. It was darkness according to Old Nan.

So lets say it just got a little cooler in Essos, and days got shorter. What then would happen to the crops? or the opposite, it got hotter and the heat turned the lands to desert.

It's one world, there has to be a shift in global climate, not just continental.

Yeah, he said that, we're all speculating here.
I'm guessing he didn't say where specifically in Westeros to leave himself some room for turned down alliances?

Hmmm. Was hoping we'd have just forgotten about them and moved on, lol.

Einchy

From Reddit.

lm4czVM.gif

Even Sansa wouldn't do something this evil.

Brashnir

So you think that the weather would remain the same in Essos regardless of the weather in Westeros?

I doubt it. It's not just winter, it was called the long night. It was darkness according to Old Nan.

So lets say it just got a little cooler in Essos, and days got shorter. What then would happen to the crops? or the opposite, it got hotter and the heat turned the lands to desert.

It's one world, there has to be a shift in global climate, not just continental.

Sorry, I thought you meant the threat of the White Walkers, not just the weather. Sure, the weather would carry over to some degree. I'm not sure how much the White Walkers amplify the effect of winter in Westeros, and how much that would carry across the sea.

Actually, about those winters.

Remember when the Children of the Forrest (CoTF) created the Night King? It was all green, it wasn't winter, it was more of a tundra environment, if that at all.

Now the place is all winter. I mean, consider the name, Night King.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that White Walkers are the source of The Long Night, considering that once the White Walkers were driven back The Long Night ended.

It also makes sense, their main source of power is from reanimating the dead. Bodies don't decay much in near zero degree temps.

Einchy

The way I think it works is that winter comes and goes and sometimes you get a pretty long winter, which is what people fear cus it would decimate their crops and they'd run out of food, many would die during this. SInce no one in Essos has ever brought up winter, it leads me to believe that winter in Essos is like winter in Florida, it comes and goes and you barely even notice it, while winter in Westeros is like winter in the north pole, it's something to fear. The White Walkers, at least from what I gather, are mostly associated with the long night which also is occupied by a long winter.

Probably wrong but that's just what it seems to work by the scenes where winters and long nights were talked about.

Tonky

Actually, about those winters.

Remember when the Children of the Forrest (CoTF) created the Night King? It was all green, it wasn't winter, it was more of a tundra environment, if that at all.

Now the place is all winter. I mean, consider the name, Night King.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that White Walkers are the source of The Long Night, considering that once the White Walkers were driven back The Long Night ended.

It also makes sense, their main source of power is from reanimating the dead. Bodies don't decay much in near zero degree temps.
They could have just created him during the summer.

FStubbs

It's a world with dragons and a big ice wall and random length seasons and the red waste and smoking sea and a bunch of other crazy stuff. It works like an RPG probably. Here's a desert, and over here for no reason is a jungle next to the frozen lands.

Kadayi

Banned
Man I hope that there some serious 'WTF were you thinking?' Talk from both Tormund and Davos to Jon after he completely fucked up their battle plan and got a shedload of his troops slaughtered. At the rate they're going through Wildlings, they'll be going the way of the Dodo before the show ends.

Also Sansa better get a major dressing down from the war council as well for keeping Littlefingers army to herself. A lot less men on their side would of died if they'd had that information to hand before the battle.

With all that said. Episode 9 was pretty goddamn epic and I'm looking forward to episode 10. Also same director, so I'm expecting some action for sure.

Khaz

Neither the books nor the show has established that. There are theories, most of them based on book evidence, but that's about it.

Hm. My own (not based on books or online theories afaik)

Regarding the origin of winters
-
The apparent randomness of seasons is magic-based, and white walkers awake with big winters. They are the embodiment of winter, with bigger forces at play. The lord of light against the lord of ice, living creatures being pawns on the world chess board. The seasons and frozen/warm areas represent the map possession by the gods, and it's only random to us because we don't know their game. I liked this one best but the revelation that the Children of the forest created them probably broke it.
-
the white walkers, created by the magic of the Children of the forest, are causing the seasons irregularities, each winter happens when they wake up. The strength of the season depend on their own strength/number. They were weak during previous winters and/or got caught early enough by wildlings / Children of the forest. Last (somewhat strong) winter was a generation ago so not many wildling remember it. This time they managed to grow even stronger, notably with the help of Craster who fed them lots of baby boys.

Regarding seasons in their daily lives:
I would say they have
yearly weak four seasons like ours (because Physics and Biology) and that the "winter is coming" seasons that last years are the ones magical. iirc back in season 1 Arya laughed at the coming winter, as the last one she experienced was weak. Old Nan then told her that real winters lasted for years and were stupid cold. She is a sweet summer child: she only experienced normal winters, during a "summer" era. It's like GRRM was influenced by irl ice ages, except in his world they last a generation instead of 5 000 years.

Protein

Banned
I can just imagine the smaller dragons getting killed/reanimated and fighting Drogon, and probably ripping him apart. GRRM would dare.

Grinchy

Banned
If the long winter isn't actually all that dangerous, I'm surprised they've been so scared of it for 6 seasons.

Winter is coming! It will be a minor inconvenience to our way of life.

Einchy

If the winter isn't actually all that dangerous, I'm surprised they've been so scared of it for 6 seasons.

Winter is coming! It will be a minor inconvenience to our way of life.

It definitely is in Westeros, which is why everyone there shits their pants at the idea of having a long one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom