• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paladins Open Beta Thread | PC

sibarraz

Banned
Will Paladins surpass tf2? at least the mouth to mouth of the game has improved and I have seen lots of friends playing it lately

At the moment Paladins is at 10k users below TF2

The first time that I saw the loadouts with the gem rarities of hearthstone I freaked out, thanks god all the cards had the same rarities, otherwise I would have dropped the game

At first that was the idea. The card system had so many iterations. At first I think it was randomly earned cards during the matches, slightly before my time. Then when I joined up you built a deck with 1 of each rarity. Later it had the point system and each rarity had a cost like it does now pretty much, but each rarity had to be crafted (which was somewhat random). But they also had stronger cards with like a choice between 2 prime cards that couldn't be paired with eachother. The current system is really well done since you don't need to worry about obtaining rarities and it's more balanced among the options too. And I didn't even play every build.

They made a ton of simple improvements in this update.

The new UI for the in-match card store works perfectly with a controller now, as does the skin store and a lot of other sections that didn't work before.

Shengar

At first that was the idea. The card system had so many iterations. At first I think it was randomly earned cards during the matches, slightly before my time. Then when I joined up you built a deck with 1 of each rarity. Later it had the point system and each rarity had a cost like it does now pretty much, but each rarity had to be crafted (which was somewhat random). But they also had stronger cards with like a choice between 2 prime cards that couldn't be paired with eachother. The current system is really well done since you don't need to worry about obtaining rarities and it's more balanced among the options too. And I didn't even play every build.

They should keep the current card system. Adding rarity system will make the balance dip to the worst. Like Smite, Hirez should rely on exclusive cosmetics and founder's pack for income.

The card system is sort of a cross between Heroes of the Storm and Paragon, which seems like a reasonable choice for a fast paced hero fps. I don't really care for deck tweaking so the more it's streamlined the better in my opinion.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You get it for free when you win 5 public matches with the steam version. I don't think you can even use credits to purchase it......

Correct. I mean I could've saved the credits on unlocking the character to unlock someone else. I figured it was a TF2 in-game item. Not an in-game TF2 themed item.

belushy

Banned
New update is godly. My performance shot up nicely and the changes they've made from UI to maps is great.

Still got a defending round win that didn't count towards the score which was weird.

Ploid 3.0

When I go to training room and back to the lobby, my Profile link, and my gold currency are invisible Upper Right corner. Weird, especially when I was testing characters to see if I wanted to spend gold on their cards.

Figments

So I've noticed a few bugs with Overtime in this build. Sometimes it works, other times the bar doesn't even move but you can still hear the announcer counting down, and sometimes the time for the round just doesn't display altogether.

On another note, I'm still having audio issues when shit gets hectic. I still have no idea what the fuck is causing it, because performance itself isn't suffering, but the audio is. Makes it impossible to hear anything above a shit ton of static and crackling.

New update is godly. My performance shot up nicely and the changes they've made from UI to maps is great.

Still got a defending round win that didn't count towards the score which was weird.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Hopefully they send out a bugfix patch soon.

Ying is a lot of fun. Pretty good heals off her mirror images to the point that your opponent wants to kill them first before killing you I think. If you place them out of LOS you're in a good spot. Then once your opponent is low on HP, have them kamikaze for high burst damage.

Countering ying: destroy the clones. Keep track of where they are too cause she can teleport between them.

I was in a bot game earlier and someone got like 94 elims with her

But it was a bot game...

Typically real players will not produce those results.

belushy

Banned
Ying is a lot of fun. Pretty good heals off her mirror images to the point that your opponent wants to kill them first before killing you I think. If you place them out of LOS you're in a good spot. Then once your opponent is low on HP, have them kamikaze for high burst damage.

Countering ying: destroy the clones. Keep track of where they are too cause she can teleport between them.

But it was a bot game...

Typically real players will not produce those results.

I know.

Gravidee

Game runs a lot better than before now, looking forward to future patches. After spending some more time with the game, it seems worthy of investing into so I got the founder's pack. Now I have Overwatch to play on console, and Paladins for PC.

Ah...payload is both frustrating and rewarding. Rewarding when you get teams where they help push the payload alongside you, and frustrating where you are the only one to push the payload. I'm also surprised by the fact that after a Payload round ends, you have to rebuy your items for the next round.

Oh sick, his flamethrower's not completely useless now?

Eh, you're not melting(heh) enemy health bars, but you do have a bit more kick in the flamethrower. I'd like to see Fernando get a card where it increases the duration of his burn debuff up to a maximum of +2 seconds, because then he would be the closest thing to the TF2 Pyro.

Figments

Eliminations are just sort of assists it seems. She can tag enemies easily with clone explode and her beams.

I think Eliminations are more than just assists. "Solo kills" seem to depend on enemies you've handed alone, whereas Eliminations are kills earned by playing as a team, with each player getting credit for the kill.

I dunno, that's how I view it. Someone can correct me at any time.

Game runs a lot better than before now, looking forward to future patches. After spending some more time with the game, it seems worthy of investing into so I got the founder's pack. Now I have Overwatch to play on console, and Paladins for PC.

That's basically my same situation. I have a crapton of friends on console who play Overwatch that I'm trying to convince to play Paladins with me, but it's hard work. :<

Eh, you're not melting(heh) enemy health bars, but you do have a bit more kick in the flamethrower. I'd like to see Fernando get a card where it increases the duration of his burn debuff up to a maximum of +2 seconds, because then he would be the closest thing to the TF2 Pyro.

At least it's better than it was before. Lasting effect is better than one-off.

Xyber

I think Eliminations are more than just assists. "Solo kills" seem to depend on enemies you've handed alone, whereas Eliminations are kills earned by playing as a team, with each player getting credit for the kill.

I dunno, that's how I view it. Someone can correct me at any time.

It works just like in Overwatch. Do any damage to someone and when he dies it counts as an elimination for everyone involved in the kill. It's pretty much assists but with a different name (but kill credit on the scoreboard doesn't just go to a single person) because getting 60 eliminations feels better than 60 assists.

clemenx

Banned
I know I'm supposed to hook people and wreck their faces short range with Makoa but it feels off that a freaking cannonball has damage fall off.

He rocks tho, totally my favorite champ.

Has anyone have an endless Payload round? I just had one last like 40 minutes at and the defending team had to give up for it to end :| It has to be a bug.

Ploid 3.0

Good thing I didn't unlock Evie yet, she was going to be the character I unlocked when I mentioned holding out until the patch. Free costumes unlock the characters too.

Evie Black Ice skin started with 10k.
http://www.everyeye.it/notizie/pala...10-000-codici-per-personaggi-skin-273066.html

2BbpIYD.png

Vecks

For casual, I wish they had something where you just pick the character you want to play and they make teams based on that. Getting into a match takes really long with the way it is, especially when people just refuse to pick.

For casual, I wish they had something where you just pick the character you want to play and they make teams based on that. Getting into a match takes really long with the way it is, especially when people just refuse to pick.

That would be bad, since you want to pick based off your teammates too. And what when you keep getting matched without a front line or support? I think casual as it is is about as good as it gets for that type of playlist for this type of game. I wasn't a fan of how blizzard did hots casual, but also consider their playbase is way larger than this, I'd imagine, so the queue times aren't so bad... but even with that there was little guarantee of a good composition.

Ruff

I literally can not unlock that TF2 skin. I've got to level 5 on Barik since yesterday and no skin. I'm pretty sure I've won more than 5 times by now.

I've installed it from steam, the steam overlay is there so what am I missing? I heard any bug with the redeeming was supposed to have been sorted by now.

mcz117chief

Evie is fun too. Not as much as as her CB version but still quite fun. I still miss the card that gave her faster shots travel time.

I think she is very underpowered imo, all the other flankers can wipe you in moments but Evie needs to hit you multiple times with her only damage ability (basic attack) to kill you, having a broom and a teleport feels like a redundancy, I would replace the teleport with some form of slow of stun that also does damage, like some frozen spike or something.

Vecks

That would be bad, since you want to pick based off your teammates too. And what when you keep getting matched without a front line or support? I think casual as it is is about as good as it gets for that type of playlist for this type of game. I wasn't a fan of how blizzard did hots casual, but also consider their playbase is way larger than this, I'd imagine, so the queue times aren't so bad... but even with that there was little guarantee of a good composition.

I just want a quick match option, so they can build team compositions based on what you pick. Like if you want to play support, they'll find other people who picked other roles and match up a team from there.

The queue times aren't terrible, but last night I just sat for 10 minutes, just to play a quick match and it was like: join game, okay. One person failed to join, okay, I get kicked back into queue. Join game, okay. One person failed to join, okay, get kicked back into queue. Join game, everyone joined, YES, time to pick. Pick whatever you want. Watch as timer counts down and one person doesn't pick. Okay, get kicked back into queue.

I think she is very underpowered imo, all the other flankers can wipe you in moments but Evie needs to hit you multiple times with her only damage ability (basic attack) to kill you, having a broom and a teleport feels like a redundancy, I would replace the teleport with some form of slow of stun that also does damage, like some frozen spike or something.

The soar is really great for escapes and getting into position whereas blink is more of a combat tool.

mcz117chief

The soar is really great for escapes and getting into position whereas blink is more of a combat tool.

still, she is a flanker that can't melt, which is kind of weird. Right now she works as more of an artillery and area suppression. She needs her basic ability improved drastically if she wants to become a proper flanker. The thing is that she can get into position effortlessly but once she is there she is having a hard time doing anything and her ultimate is really more of a support ultimate. That ice storm needs to be bigger and deal many many times more damage to actually do something worthwhile. Imo it is the worst ult in the game right now.

still, she is a flanker that can't melt, which is kind of weird. Right now she works as more of an artillery and area suppression. She needs her basic ability improved drastically if she wants to become a proper flanker. The thing is that she can get into position effortlessly but once she is there she is having a hard time doing anything and her ultimate is really more of a support ultimate. That ice storm needs to be bigger and deal many many times more damage to actually do something worthwhile. Imo it is the worst ult in the game right now.

I haven't had trouble melting people with her. I'm out of practice with her and still had top damage. I used to be real good with her.

I think you're under rating her ult though. It's instantaneous and can easily lead to a team wipe if you hit multiple people.

Evie's ult can't be worse than Grohk's. At least Evie's makes it so that enemy movement abilities can't be used when they're inside the blizzard. Grohk's ult does pitiful damage and pitiful heals.

mcz117chief

Evie's ult can't be worse than Grohk's. At least Evie's makes it so that enemy movement abilities can't be used when they're inside the blizzard. Grohk's ult does pitiful damage and pitiful heals.

Oh yeah, I will give you that one, Grohk's is worse.

I think you're under rating her ult though. It's instantaneous and can easily lead to a team wipe if you hit multiple people.

40 damage per tick won't kill anyone

Oh yeah, I will give you that one, Grohk's is worse.

I really want Grohk's ult to give some kind of buff to his allies that get hit with his lightning bolts. Maybe a 5 second boost of speed and/or damage. That way, his allies would be "SURGING WITH POWERRR". I'd be okay with his ult doing pitiful damage if it just gave his allies some sort of buff along with the pitiful heal.

It would also make his ult more unique in comparison to his other supports.

gypsygib

I'm really enjoying it. Clone or not is up for debate but undoubtedly every dev copies aspects of popular games. Gaming evolution can't be stopped, the best qualities are reproduced in other games while bad gameplay aspects are dropped. It's like genetic fitness. All modern shooters are COD4 clones, and if you go back far enough, they're doom clones.

In fact, every subsequent game in a genre that wasn't the first game of the genre is arguably a clone. The only possible innovation is a new gameplay mechanic or a new combination of gameplay mechanics and if it's good, guaranteed it will be copied.

But who cares. Only thing that matters when any game comes out is if the game is good or not, and Palidins is good. It is very good.

I'll take free versions of all the best games thank you very much.

clemenx

Banned
I've still never seen a Grohk vs live players. I'm only level 12 tho but that speaks badly when the roster is so small still.

mcz117chief

You can escape skye's ult easier imo. Evie's causes cripple iirc, which stops you from using movement/escapes. And then you just take them down easily. What is the exact dps on the ult? Like 120 dps?

It still is just "an ult that needs a follow up to be useful" kind of ult which is something that supports should have. If an assassin type character requires her whole team to make use of her ult then she isn't much of an assassin. All the other flanker and damage ults are designed to augment your killing power except for Evie. I would like to see her remade.

It still is just "an ult that needs a follow up to be useful" kind of ult which is something that supports should have. If an assassin type character requires her whole team to make use of her ult then she isn't much of an assassin. All the other flanker and damage ults are designed to augment your killing power except for Evie. I would like to see her remade.

I wouldn't consider her to be an assassin character. She is one of my most played characters, I definitely wouldn't consider her ult to be weak. I think it's one of the stronger AOEs in the game that can't be blocked and is instantaneous. It's so strong that the damage had to be constantly nerfed over time to keep it in line.

edit:
Okay, so it does 160 dps, and it cripples, and it snares. I think you're underestimating those stats. Yeah it's 40 damage a tick but you get hit 4 times a second. I just had a 130k+ game. I think evie is a really strong character and in part due to her ult. You combine that aoe damage with her primary fire, and just go to town, you can easily swipe some teams solo. Before the damage was too high I think. This doesn't feel broken or weak.

Top Bottom