• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

Litan

I'm not surprised this is turning out good, but I am honestly taken aback by the praise Gadot is receiving. I had very little confidence in her being able to pull it off. Glad to hear I can put those doubts to rest.

It looks like I'll be going to an early screening of the film on Saturday. I'm pretty excited, especially since my mom will be tagging along and she's happy to finally see a female superhero film.

The more I think about it the more I really wish the Themyscira training sections had been longer. The island is so lush and the scenes so well done that I would have loved to hang out longer and get to know more Amazons. Especially given how overlong all of the romantic scenes feel.

Penguin

The more I think about it the more I really wish the Themyscira training sections had been longer. The island is so lush and the scenes so well done that I would have loved to hang out longer and get to know more Amazons. Especially given how overlong all of the romantic scenes feel.

Yeah wanted it to be longer, but as others have noted it couldn't have been. Like what would you trim from the film

I still don't know what to think of the climax. It's not bad, I enjoy it... and it plays into the story, but something just felt off.

Also never really bought Ares as a threat, but I wanna rewatch the movie to see the different ways he helped push them forward

Like he paid for their voyage, he ran it out of his office to keep an eye/ear on their exploits, and almost certain he was the one who told the general to fire at the town they just freed

It kills me that I won't be able to see this film until a week after US-GAF does. I'm keeping my expectations in check and I doubt I'll like it as much as Man of Steel but as long as it's better than BvS and Suicide Squad, I'll be happy.

Regarding some of the early reactions to WW, it's funny how many comic-book movies fall apart in their third acts. Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Logan, etc. They're all solid films but none of them really managed to reach the finish line imo.

Penguin

Is Ares a good villain in this at least? Because I've had my fill of shitty comic book villains.

He is the final big bad, but not the main villain.

I actually like the other two villains. I think because their motives are kind of simple. One is a man who needs a war and wants to continue fighting it.

The other just likes finding new ways to kill people with gases. The simple pleasures of life.

ReiGun

Random little fanboy bit: At the end when Diana is rushing off to save the day, I so wanted to see Giganta when they turned that corner. lol

Is Ares a good villain in this at least? Because I've had my fill of shitty comic book villains.

He's okay. He does his job within the narrative.

Doctor Poison is the best villain.

I actually like the other two villains. I think because their motives are kind of simple. One is a man who needs a war and wants to continue fighting it.

The other just likes finding new ways to kill people with gases. The simple pleasures of life.

So is it his presentation/CGI that drags him down a bit?

Penguin

Speaking of....MAJOR SPOILER

When her God mode activates and she mows through those soldiers... pretty bad-ass visuals.

Quick

Banned

When her God mode activates and she mows through those soldiers... pretty bad-ass visuals.

Is that connected to the scenes in the trailesr where she's running in the streets and gets hit by an explosion, only to just bounce off the wall and eventually breaks through a window and fights a bunch of soldiers?

I feel like the WWI-era limitations in technology sorta helped the two villains feel a bit more effective you can sort of buy into how they execute their plans. That might sound like a weird sentence but I can do "we're gonna fire this fucked up hydrogen-based super gas over a civilian town" over "Here's a barely explainable super magic thing that's just gonna end the world."

My honest to god unironic favorite scene in the whole movie is when the Not Howling Commandos under sniper fire and Diana does her thing. I'm not usually a cheering person in a theater but even that got a "Holy shit!" from me. That and when he straight takes on a massive blitz of German machinegun fire on an open battlefield.

Also it took until the end for me to recognize Chris Pine's secretary as Dawn from The Office...

Penguin

Is that connected to the scenes in the trailesr where she's running in the streets and gets hit by an explosion, only to just bounce off the wall and eventually breaks through a window and fights a bunch of soldiers?
Naw

Was the leaked plot description from a few months back accurate? It's sounding like it was.

Pretty much. I think once the third trailer dropped it was confirmed accurate, but in writing they made it sound a lot more... generic I guess

Thinking a bit more, I feel the last 20 mins are a huge disservice to everything before it.
You have the theme of humanity's choices and Ares' control (or lack of it) and Diana's disillusionment , with everything heading into Diana's realisation of what Trevor meant about believing and then watching the others and Trevor actually making that choice.

And then we get Trevor with a trite "I love you"(after 4-5 days..) and Diana says it's all about love and goes Super Saiyan.

Reveal and the couple of mins after that we're good. Really bad after that.

I decided that I'm not gonna watch this but changed my mind.
Injustice really made me thirsty for a good dc film.
I'm going in with low expectations and just enjoy the film.

I know they filmed extra scenes. In trailers teen Diana had training scenes with Artemis.

Overall wish we learned even more about the society.

Yeah, while I'm not big on huge CGI battles, I liked how it went live action anime there.

It kills me that I won't be able to see this film until a week after US-GAF does. I'm keeping my expectations in check and I doubt I'll like it as much as Man of Steel but as long as it's better than BvS and Suicide Squad, I'll be happy.

Regarding some of the early reactions to WW, it's funny how many comic-book movies fall apart in their third acts. Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Logan, etc. They're all solid films but none of them really managed to reach the finish line imo.
I thought Logan had a good third act. Revenhe against side villain by the kids. Satisfying action climax and one of the best endings to a comic book film.

However, a lot of blockbusters have weak third acts. Probably because it might be the last thing they shoot, writing an ending is hard, or choreographing a final action sequence they don't have the inspiration anymore.

Winter Soldier is exactly my reference for Wonder Woman, in terms of quality, and how I felt the third act is lacking compared with exceptional scenes preceding it.

What's interesting is how reshoots were in the third act, and evidently was an improvement. I'd like it as a deleted scene to satisfy curiosity.

Winter Soldier is exactly my reference for Wonder Woman, in terms of quality, and how I felt the third act is lacking compared with exceptional scenes preceding it.

What's interesting is how reshoots were in the third act, and evidently was an improvement. I'd like it as a deleted scene to satisfy curiosity.

Well, even though I'm not that big of a fan of Winter Soldier, if that's what I should expect out of Wonder Woman then that's a pretty good outcome. I always thought that film would end up being slightly above average at best (for no particular reason, just a gut feeling), but I've been very pleased by the early impressions. I didn't think Gadot could pull it off and I'm glad I was wrong.

I thought Logan had a good third act. Revenhe against side villain by the kids. Satisfying action climax and one of the best endings to a comic book film.

However, a lot of blockbusters have weak third acts. Probably because it might be the last thing they shoot, writing an ending is hard, or choreographing a final action sequence they don't have the inspiration anymore.

I just saw Logan for the first time a couple of days ago so I haven't really formed a final opinion on it yet. The last shot was certainly brilliant but while he didn't ruin the movie, the "final boss" just felt unnecessary to me. It was a really good film and a beautiful epilogue to the X-Men saga but I'm a bit frustrated by the fact that it was this close to greatness but didn't quite get there.

Theorry

Thread title change is perfect.

I dont get it. :(

Review from Reddit.

Didn't have a chance to post yesterday, as I didn't get back until close to midnight after having to drive 2 hours each way to catch the showing, but here are my brief thoughts:
Was hoping to like the film, but came away loving the movie. Really guys, the movie is so good. I caught it with my sister-in-law (my wife didn't want to make the drive and my sister-in-law lives much closer to where the screening was) and she LOVED it.

Pros:

-Funny, heartfelt, stirring, action is fantastic, and romance is the best of any recent comic book film.

-Performances are top notch. Was blown away by Gadot. So much more range than I expected from her. Pine in some ways carries the film, not because he's so great necessarily (though he is), but because of how he's such a great foil to Gadot in some ways. Supporting cast is all top-notch.

-There's a scene in the movie (and once you watch it, you will know what I'm talking about), that just might be one of the best sequences that the DCEU has ever put out. Floored by it. It'll make you want to cry and cheer at the same time.

Cons:

-While the story flows very well, there are a few SCENES that drag a bit and could have been pared down to give the movie a more even feel throughout.

-The movie does suffer a tad with the villains, but once the movie hits its climax, I found everything with the antagonist(s) very satisfying.

-Wanted more Amazons!

Overall: My favorite quality of the film is how well it exudes heroicism. It might be the most heroic superhero movie I've seen. It instill hope while never being cheesy. As for how it ranks, it's certainly the best made DCEU film so far, though how much one enjoys it will be up to the viewer. I put it up there with the BvS:UE as tops.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
giphy.gif

tumblr_mf029l9F6g1qf4dh3.gif~c200

3N16MA

Banned
Wait, what was wrong with "Waiting for Gadot"?

That was perfect.

That's actually brilliant. Not sure how I missed it but I would have used it if I had known.

I'm horrible at coming up with thread titles. I would just throw the directors name in there and be done with it.

a916

Yeah wanted it to be longer, but as others have noted it couldn't have been. Like what would you trim from the film

I still don't know what to think of the climax. It's not bad, I enjoy it... and it plays into the story, but something just felt off.

Also never really bought Ares as a threat, but I wanna rewatch the movie to see the different ways he helped push them forward

Like he paid for their voyage, he ran it out of his office to keep an eye/ear on their exploits, and almost certain he was the one who told the general to fire at the town they just freed

I think I know what it was that bugged me... there's no actual turning point in that scene.

I mean, think back,
what was the actual turning point that made WW overcome Ares? It was fun and good to watch, the action that is, but the flow was really just... eh punchless?

Vengal

Gods Status question:
Does the movie talk about the pantheon in detail, like their status?

In that leak
it said something about Zues and Ares being brothers and ares killing all the other gods.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I liked the idea of Ares more than the real thing. The film would've been better if his influence on humans remained a mystery, which would've let Dr. Poison be the main part of the climax, rather than Ares, which would've also been better since the battle wouldn't have happened the way it did since she completely gets sidelined the second Ares shows up.

Gods Status question:
Does the movie talk about the pantheon in detail, like their status?

In that leak
it said something about Zues and Ares being brothers and ares killing all the other gods.

There's an animation early on that talks about the history of Zeus and Ares a bit. I believe it's said that Ares killed all the other gods and only Zues and him remained.

Penguin

I think I know what it was that bugged me... there's no actual turning point in that scene.

I mean, think back,
what was the actual turning point that made WW overcome Ares? It was fun and good to watch, the action that is, but the flow was really just... eh punchless?

I thought the turning point was
realizing love overcomes all. Once she decides to spare Doctor Poison

I thought the turning point was
realizing love overcomes all. Once she decides to spare Doctor Poison

That was my main problem with the ending.
It felt like they were going for a different theme for the rest of the movie till the "love overcomes all" turn.

Top Bottom