• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soooo snapchat has added a very questionable feature

Turned ghost mode on immediately. Why did they think this was a good idea? I can see peoples houses, what is this??

Also Snapchat, did you maybe think that not every person wants their friends to just randomly show up to whatever it is their doing? Jesus.

Meier

No biggie. Instagram Stories are the same way and absolutely dwarf Snapchat now in terms of user base. My account isn't private -- I find it pretty weird how many people lock their shit down on there actually.

I guess I misunderstood the OP a little. I think IG Stories may only be location based if you add a location tag to it but honestly I'm not sure. It may pull from the metadata and list it under the city you're at.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I have to say that this is like my favorite thing now.

Just randomly clicked on different places in LA, and I see random videos. I mean, it's weird and interesting.

I just saw lots of green stuff. 😂

Also, just in time for VidCon. You can see tons of snaps from there.

hateradio

The videos on the map are just people adding it to "Our Story" right?

TBH I never figured out how "Our Story" works
  1. Scroll left (to your contacts)
  2. Click on the Search box on the top
  3. Scroll down to the Around Me section

That's basically it. This is just the newest extension of that. I think it's cool.

I love this feature for randomly picking places in Manhattan and seeing what's going on.
That's basically the point. If you want to go out and do something, you can scout the scene first.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Choice makes me choose to only have my friends see. Don't see the problem with that unless you have a bunch of strangers as your friends in which case, ghost mode

1. Scroll left (to your contacts)
  2. Click on the Search box on the top
  3. Scroll down to the Around Me section

That's basically it. This is just the newest extension of that. I think it's cool.

That's basically the point. If you want to go out and do something, you can scout the scene first.

Right, but what determines if a snap is public and shows up on the map for everyone or not?

hateradio

Right, but what determines if a snap is public and shows up on the map for everyone or not?
Publishing it to "Our Story" puts it on the map, so anyone can see it. So I think that it's just random. Once the 24hrs are over, the video/image should be gone.

Trouble

Banned
Snapchat was originally created to be a sexting app. We should be surprised when anything they do isn't questionable.

The only thing that makes this feel weird is that it shows exact location, like if I turn it on it shows me sitting in my bedroom right now pretty much exactly. At least you can turn it off super easily and never have to turn it on if you don't want to.

I don't mess with Snapchat.

Had it a grand total of twice: First time I had it a friend sent me a snap of himself taking a girl from behind and I deleted the app immediately. Decided to try using it again a few months later and someone sent me an ISIS beheading video.

Yeah...fuck Snapchat.

PSYGN

I haven't used Snapchat in like 3 or 4 years it feels, and from what I understood of it when I messed with it for a day, it was like texts in video format, but you also couldn't save your friends videos (but could you save your own?). So if I understood this right, you can now share your location and a video you snapped there recently? I'm 28 and feel out of the loop.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't mess with Snapchat.

Had it a grand total of twice: First time I had it a friend sent me a snap of himself taking a girl from behind and I deleted the app immediately. Decided to try using it again a few months later and someone sent me an ISIS beheading video.

Yeah...fuck Snapchat.
Uh, I don't think the problem here is Snapchat.

Wow this is actually really cool. Turned on ghost mode obviously but the way you can just tap around town and see snaps people have made public is crazy. They have like a heat map for snaps too. Clicked on a hot spot and there was a black metal show happening.

Edit: Fuck I'm about to get sucked into a hole of finding weird snaps around town

Anion

It can tell I'm in a car

hm1hp603vg5z.jpg
LOL

Yeah I turned ghost mode on while I'm at my parents home. When I move later, I won't care lol. But I don't want people to know where the Agent AA1 HQ is LOL

Anion

Feature doesnt tell me usernames just the particular popular snap. Doesnt seem that intrusive
When your friends update, you'll be able to see where they are if they share location. It will show their bitmoji character and you can zoom into what the building looks like lol

Feature doesnt tell me usernames just the particular popular snap. Doesnt seem that intrusive

You can also zoom in and see like a blue heat mark for individual snaps and pretty much tell exactly where it came from. I think they maybe need to pull back how granular that gets.

Go to the rich part of where you live and start tapping and it's like rich kids of instagram. Snaps of super expensive Charcuterie spreads and champagne lol

big_z

I turned on ghost mode then looked around the map. Seems a little invasive but the third one I saw was at the airport. A guy was pissing into a dyson hand dryer with the caption "worst urinal ever"

hateradio

Wow this is actually really cool. Turned on ghost mode obviously but the way you can just tap around town and see snaps people have made public is crazy. They have like a heat map for snaps too. Clicked on a hot spot and there was a black metal show happening.

Edit: Fuck I'm about to get sucked into a hole of finding weird snaps around town
It's like pokemon go, but without having to go anywhere.

The heat maps are awesome.

The Bay is DAF compared to LA. Stupid LA, why you make me go an' miss you. ;'(

I turned on ghost mode then looked around the map. Seems a little invasive but the third one I saw was at the airport. A guy was pissing into a dyson hand dryer with the caption "worst urinal ever"
😂

Honestly I can see getting a lot of use in this (in ghost mode). Might even contribute some public snaps which I never have before

neemmss

I like it! Only posts that go into 'Our Story' will show up. It's so cool seeing what others in the world are up to!

BigDug13

Pretty sure they sent me a message on Snapchat about this feature like they do with all new features.

Also, isn't this about on par with Instagram allowing you to just follow someone to view all their stuff? Pretty sure there's likely a privacy feature you can turn on to prevent strangers from viewing your stuff.

I know I thoroughly read all the emails and messages social media companies send me.

I know I thoroughly read all the emails and messages social media companies send me.
Not sure what else they can do considering that it's detailed in update notes along with the fact that you have to manually enable the feature, which is fully explained once again before you can do so. It's not their fault if people are going to ignore the messages too lol.

Ajax125

Banned
from a business perspective, it's pretty smart actually.

It's taking the main feature from periscope and implementing it into it.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Instagram take this feature

riotous

Banned
Sounds like it's meant for people to use at concerts, festivals, bars, whatever... why are people freaking out about this?

Whew I just found out the address of several acquaintances and people I met on random forums. I think I'll be deleting Snapchat soon.

So what? Anyone who knows my real name can quickly google my address; that's true for every home owner (in the US at leas) since your property purchase is in several online databases.

hateradio

from a business perspective, it's pretty smart actually.

It's taking the main feature from periscope and implementing it into it.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Instagram take this feature
Instagram has been snatching Snapchat's features for a while now.

vikki

I was curious what this feature was, but it wouldn't work on my Snapchat, because I needed to update. The update states that the update is for this new feature specifically. When I opened the app after updating, it prompted me to choose whether to be visible to everyone, just to friends, or ghost mode. I haven't tried, but I assume anyone can toggle between those three choices. I think you've done a better job highlighting the new feature than warning us.

Future

Sounds like it's meant for people to use at concerts, festivals, bars, whatever... why are people freaking out about this?

So what? Anyone who knows my real name can quickly google my address; that's true for every home owner (in the US at leas) since your property purchase is in several online databases.

Actually this is awesome. Cool to see snaps in the neighborhood. Who gives a fuck I don't know these people

BigDug13

Not sure what else they can do considering that it's detailed in update notes along with the fact that you have to manually enable the feature, which is fully explained once again before you can do so. It's not their fault if people are going to ignore the messages too lol.

Not my fault you didn't read our updated terms and conditions you clicked "agree" to.

Top Bottom