• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soooo snapchat has added a very questionable feature

Alienfan

It's pretty neat actually. The map shows hot spots of activity and if you click on a hotspot/area you get all the publics snaps taken there. You're getting tracked regardless, may as well get something out of it. I can see how busy the clubs are before hitting town lol

giga

I like it! Only posts that go into 'Our Story' will show up. It's so cool seeing what others in the world are up to!
No. It's more than that. If you enable location, Snapchat will publish your location on the map to your friends every time you open the app, regardless if you posted to Our Story or not. This confusion is the cause concern for the average joe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th.../23/15864552/snapchat-snap-map-privacy-threat

When you update Snapchat and get to the Snap Map walkthrough, as seen below, only three screens need to be clicked through to complete it. Though it mentions sharing your location, it’s vague on what that exactly means. Users might not understand that Snap is posting your location on Snap Map every time you open the app. Not just when you share Snaps to Our Story.

Turned out, she didn’t know she had Snap Map enabled, and didn’t know it was showing her location every time she opened the app. When she updated Snap and went through the Snap Map introduction, she believed Snap was giving the option to geotag her Snaps for Our Story, as shown in the promotional video. Instead, she had inadvertently broadcast where she lived to every one of her Snap contacts.

CS_Dan

I've had the location permission revoked for months, Snapchat is enough of a battery hog without it spying on me.

This is literally my favorite thing to ever come out of social media. Facebook did something similar a year back or so. It's so cool you can just check out what people are up to all over the world. And then see places people are hanging out and new cool things to check out. For me it's like there is finally a purpose to this shit. I don't know what is so questionable about it.

No. It's more than that. If you enable location, Snapchat will publish your location on the map to your friends every time you open the app, regardless if you posted to Our Story or not. This confusion is the cause concern for the average joe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th.../23/15864552/snapchat-snap-map-privacy-threat

Correct, this is an important distinction. The snaps themselves are deliberately made public. However, if you’re not in ghost mode every time you open the app it will put your location on the map, and your friends (by default) will be able to see it

Persona7

Banned
This is literally my favorite thing to ever come out of social media. Facebook did something similar a year back or so. It's so cool you can just check out what people are up to all over the world. And then see places people are hanging out and new cool things to check out. For me it's like there is finally a purpose to this shit. I don't know what is so questionable about it.

Some people might not know it is enabled and inadvertently reveal private info (location, etc) to people who they may follow on snapchat but don't really want them to have information like that.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
had to update it to see the map but man this feature is so dope. If youre not on stalker mode, it kind of makes you want to go out and share shit with the world.

Damerman

Yoooo me and my buddy are planning a trip to peru and i just used the feature to see whats good over there and i just found the hostel we might stay at. This feature is fucking awesome. I never used snap, but i will now.

Don't you have to specifically select to put the snap as "public" under "Our story"?
Not entirely sure what happens with your snaps if you enable this feature, but now that I've actually opened Snapchat and checked it out, this feature isn't enabled by default, and you actually have to open it up with that pinch zoom thing you only find out about if you viewed the update from the message they send you, it tells you all about it, and from there you're given the option to enable it or disable it for your own snaps.

This is a terribly overblown thread topic. Not only do you have to go out of your way to enable the feature, but it gives you three options to choose from, one being ghost mode where it doesn't post any of your stories through this feature, another where it only shows it to your friends, and then the public option.

Anion

giga

Honestly, I have no remorse for people who can't comprehend when it literally says it will post your location whenever you open the app.

Does it? These are the three steps. Step two is the important part and doesn't say it'll post your location whenever you open the app.

snapmap.jpg

I kind of love this feature. They used to have something similar when you could see random cities' stories, but now that you can go wherever it's da bomb.

Top Bottom