• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World - Gamescom Impressions

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
Some glider action. Already thinking of ways to use this w/ HBG and setting up air shots.

giphy.gif

I just saw the IGN stream. This looks pretty much exactly like what I'd want in a modern MH game. I'm kind of shocked at how good this seems to be..

I noticed that your stamina doesn't seem to go lower than the default amount, which hopefully is the new standard (you can get 150% or 200% stamina, but not 50% or 25%).

Unlimited whetstones was probably a demo-only change, but that would also be nice. Anything that cuts down on the busywork will be of great benefit to the game.

Also worth noting that the demo being "easier" could just be reduced health on the monsters to compensate for the halved time limit. The amount they stagger and the player's damage/defense could be normal.

Nintendo and PC is a beastly good combo though :)

You're underestimating the MT Framework engine which is a last gen engine. That engine is goddamn versatile,it run on alot of computers of various types. If you can run DMC4SE or Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen then there is a good chance you can run MH:W.

Trust me I know lol. When I say PC I have a Kangaroo mini PC and a Mac mini. I'm out of luck on that front.

Raide

I just saw the IGN stream. This looks pretty much exactly like what I'd want in a modern MH game. I'm kind of shocked at how good this seems to be..

I love me some MH but World looks way beyond the previous games, yet retaining what people want from a MH game. I hope is sells bucketloads and gets Capcom to push homeconsoles even more.

Need me a demo!

Ridley327

I noticed that your stamina doesn't seem to go lower than the default amount, which hopefully is the new standard (you can get 150% or 200% stamina, but not 50% or 25%).

Unlimited whetstones was probably a demo-only change, but that would also be nice. Anything that cuts down on the busywork will be of great benefit to the game.

I wouldn't mind unlimited whetstones, since they've always been very generous with doling them out and, realistically, you're going to be using less than a handful on any given hunt.

Ridley327

looks like charms are upgrade-able now:

Oooooh, this could mean that they're dropping the whole charm table nonsense that made people hate them and give them a more permanent presence at the cost of materials. That's a really good change.

Anura

I'm midway through my first playthrough of MHFU, and holy shit it's janky.

Forget the usual "Plesioth hip-check hitbox is shit"stuff, I've had monsters retreat into the water/sky/underground for minutes at a time and constantly retreat from one area to another. Even the hit detection for my own attacks is a bit off, my hammer's charged slam regularly passes through the heads of monsters without doing any damage (yet the initial strike always hits, so clearly I shouldn't be missing).

Everything pre-Tri is a chore to go back to, and even the third generation games are messy and clunky. If you're excited for MHW, playing 4U or Generations (or importing XX) is the only path forward that won't sour you on the series prematurely.

Hammers in FU are super janky, lol. I think it something to do with the way hitzones are prioritized. It seems that it will prioritize the neck/foot if they're hit. So even if it looks like you hit the head it will count it as a foot/neck hit if they're included in the hitbox. Luckily, the opposite is true in the newer games. If you want to hit the head try to space it so only the tip of your hammer's range hits the monster.

looks like charms are upgrade-able now:

Really hope they're just craftable items rather than something you grind out. I don't really want to have to deal with charm farming in World. I don't mind farming materials to craft them, but there was so much variance in the possible charms you could get in the 3DS games that it just wasn't fun farming and praying you got what you wanted.

Defuser

Rocksteady Mantle gives you wind resist, earplugs, resist to weapon attacks and reduce the reaction of getting hit. Which means I won't have other players keep tripping me with their goddamn Longsword/Hammer/Gunlance shelling.

What's with the voice acting and weird cutscenes? I'm still not sold on this, I get the impression they've tried to modernize and a bit too much but still, I'm willing to give it a go.

Hopefully, it'll be good because I get the feeling this is the future of Monster Hunter.

Kinsei

Banned
What's with the voice acting and weird cutscenes? I'm still not sold on this, I get the impression they've tried to modernize and a bit too much but still, I'm willing to give it a go.

Hopefully, it'll be good because I get the feeling this is the future of Monster Hunter.

You can turn off the voice acting to turn it into the traditional MH gibberish.

The mid hunt cutscenes (Like Diablos coming out of the sinkhole) are jarring. Hopefully we can turn them off, get rid of the incessant tutorials, and remove most of the HUD.

Mupod

I was told that one of the dub options will be the usual monster hunter gibberish. I'm ok with voice acting if so.

I REALLY hope Phil is wrong about accepting new quests while out on the field being demo-exclusive. I love the idea of not needing to return to town between missions, assuming there's a way to restock supplies and deposit loot from the camp.

Its not!!

There was mention of EXPEDITION mode as well!

Top Bottom