• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Klepek: Don't Reward Nintendo For This SNES Classic Pre-Order Bullshit

SalvaPot

economics5.gif

There has to be a moment where Nintendo is like "Fine, we'll open preorders a year in advance and make as many as they are ordered, and never make more again".

jacobeid

Banned
I took a deep breath when I saw the GameStop link come through my Twitter feed. RESIST.

You're the man, Patrick.

Patrick Klepek said:
It's on Nintendo to figure this out. The rest of us should stop playing along, and Nintendo should forfeit the right to complain about why people use emulators

Agreed wholeheartedly. I for one will be using my retropie instead of giving Nintendo money. I tried. Four times.

8byte

Banned
I don't understand how selling fewer products makes Nintendo more money than selling more products, assuming the price of the product remains unchanged.

Selling more of the SNES will net them a one time sale. They can under produce, get tons of free publicity from people who can't find them, them being listed all over Ebay & Craigslist / FB Market place, etc.

Then they can use that publicity this holiday season to bolster the Nintendo Switch, where the opportunity to generate more revenue over time is considerably higher. Especially if they can get news of their subscription based virtual console out before that point in time (getting people to buy a switch on the promise of streamable classic games via a "Netflix" like service).

This is intentional.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I do think Nintendo's overly-limited limited editions are frustrating as hell. Make it easy for fans to give you their money. I now sigh whenever Nintendo unveil a cool LE instead of being excited. Still haven't found a Bayo amiibo.

I'm just glad I have no interest in this.

oti

Banned
I only wanted to resell so I could spend the money on something worthwhile.

Selling more of the SNES will net them a one time sale. They can under produce, get tons of free publicity from people who can't find them, them being listed all over Ebay & Craigslist / FB Market place, etc.

Then they can use that publicity this holiday season to bolster the Nintendo Switch, where the opportunity to generate more revenue over time is considerably higher. Especially if they can get news of their subscription based virtual console out before that point in time (getting people to buy a switch on the promise of streamable classic games via a "Netflix" like service).

This is intentional.

Oh come on. Not this nonsense again.

molnizzle

They had a shitton of Wii Us and Animal Crossing Amiibos. This doesn't always happen and people who think it's somehow deliberate consistently miss the mark.

If you don't think this SNES classic shit is deliberate then I have a bridge to sell you.

Somnid

Do not reward Nintendo by attempting to buy their hyper valuable and resellable console that you can't get even though you want it.

Anyway, we knew preorders were going to go in an instant, which is perhaps why they didn't bother to do it last time. It's not about the stock but the perception of the stock. People will buy as many as can be physically produced in the first run. How many more runs is the question.

They had a shitton of Wii Us and Animal Crossing Amiibos. This doesn't always happen and people who think it's somehow deliberate consistently miss the mark.

It happens more often than it doesn't though. The animal crossing amiibo line is about the only one released in the past 3 years that hasn't been near impossible to find for months if you didn't get a pre-order in. The way they've handled both amiibo and the NES/SNES Classic is woeful.

Madness

12+ years Nintendo has been doing this artificial scarcity bullshit. The only console manufacturer that does this. Hell I cannot even think of another electronics manufacturer who consistently drops the ball time and time again. Random limited preorders of console bundles, places like NA being screwed out of things EU ans Japan get or likewise, and now likewise yet again. This is something that has been happening since the Wii.

NES Classic was gone before most even got a chance to see it in stores anywhere. Switch is still having issues. If you cannot make them open the purse strings and bring more manufacturers on board.

Jrs3000

But what if playing Star Fox 2 is worth this to me?

Mod and load the ROM on your NES classic or retropie

+1

This "totally not limited edition" console Classic shit is aggravating. They're not making enough to meet demand, they won't commit to manufacturing any beyond 2017.

What the fuck is the point of these things? Are they just a cheap way to insure that Nintendo has one of the "hot gadgets" this holiday season. God dammit you launched a new console this year that you can't even meet demand on. This is all negative mindshare. 2017 will be the year Nintendo released two different products that failed to meet half of their demand.

Just seems so damn stupid. Add all that to the fact that you can buy like 90% of these games on every console Nintendo has released in the past ~decade, except the one released this year, for extra befuddlement.

This is a systemic problem with Nintendo, and it literally only happens with Nintendo. Again and again, they undership fucking everything. Like they're the only company that doesn't want my money.

Until people make a clear message they are tired of their antics or management that pushes this strategy is fired, it will keep happening. Even then I doubt they'd change. A lot of Nintendo fans and customers are a glutton for punishment.

829.jpg

I got one and I'm going to give it to my sister in law and get a raspberry pi instead. I really don't like that they keep making people jump through these hoops.

This is intentional.

It's nonsense.

I'm actually legitimately interested in the SNES mini and would love to buy one.

I've come to accept that I won't be getting one. I won't even bother.

3rdEdge

What's sad is this situation actually is better than it was with the NES Classic. Only Target and Toys R Us had pre-orders (briefly) available for that one.

Luckydog

Doesn't anyone find this cathartic? Nintendo made the decision for me. RaspberryPi it is. I dont reward nintendo for shitty customer service and I dont reward scalpers. Done

This is intentional.

Doesn't this idea only work if they have surplus Switches that they're trying to get rid of

8byte

Banned
Oh come on. Not this nonsense again.

I'm not advocating reselling. It'll happen, I'm just pointing out that to Nintendo, scalpers hysteria and press is far more valuable than the one time sale for the $80 toy.

Otherwise they wouldn't simply produce and release it for less than 6 months.

finalflame

Gold Member

This is intentional.

Wow, someone who gets it. The money they stand to make by applying this free publicity to the rest of their major product lines far outweighs the profit from selling additional SNES Minis. Period. End of story.

This is a marketing move and it is calculated.

Doesn't this idea only work if they have surplus Switches that they're trying to get rid of

If you don't think they have a plan to produce enough Switches to meet demand for the holiday season then you haven't thought about this for very long.

MoxManiac

This is intentional.

Don't they actually have to have Switch consoles available to have this pan out as a strategy? As an experiment just now, I went to every major online retailer and could not find a single Switch console in stock (aside from 3rd party scalpers).

They never have excess inventory. They order a small amount of hardware and sell it all at a profit, while generating tons of buzz due to how rare the thing is. It's basically an elaborate marketing campaign at the expense of the fans.

So the logic here is that people will want to buy the SNES Classic because they're rare, and when they can't they'll instead decide to buy other Nintendo products? Of course I can't say that that isn't Nintendo's reasoning here, but if so I can't wrap my head around it. It would make more sense if the Switch had a Virtual Console on which you could play all these SNES games, but it doesn't. I don't know how denying people the SNES Classic is supposed to drive sales of other Nintendo products.

8byte

Banned

You don't think Nintendo is preparing a lot of units for the Holiday season? Selling them now is great, but selling them Nov-Dec is significantly better because historically attach rates are much higher, and a console leaving then will probably have a game or two and an extra controller attached.

You don't think Nintendo is preparing a lot of units for the Holiday season? Selling them now is great, but selling them Nov-Dec is significantly better because historically attach rates are much higher, and a console leaving then will probably have a game or two and an extra controller attached.

So your argument is that they wouldn't sell these out if not for the SNES Classic functioning as advertising?

Ex-Psych

I agree it sucks and Nintendo should know better but what can you do to retaliate, not buy it? Thousands would quickly take your place for the system.

I feel like this is just a shaking our fist at clouds type of situation.

Anth0ny

This may be a stupid question. But, given the demand, would it have been in Nintendo's interest to take pre-orders earlier and produced units based on that number? Instead of the other way around? Is that a thing in this world?

I will always think back to when they released Dragon Ball on DVD for the first time in Japan:

The Dragon Boxes were limited items in the truest sense of the word. An order start date would be announced several months in advance, as well as an order deadline. The ordering windows were typically several months in length, and all manufacturing of the box sets were based solely on the number of orders received. In other words, they only made enough boxes to satisfy the orders made within the given timelines, after which point production on the boxes ended indefinitely. With so few actual Dragon Boxes in circulation (most of which already in the loving arms of Dragon Ball fans), it makes finding these boxes nowadays somewhat difficult.

It seemed to work just fine, but for some reason you never see this anymore.

Really makes me believe that they're just holding back stock to create hype. The NES Classic hype carried over to this year with the SNES, and will carry over to next year with the N64.

I am not a scalper, just a guy in PST who happened to be on the internet last night to snag a Best Buy pre-order. Just because Patrick Klepek couldn't find one does not mean they went solely to scalpers.

Murrah

Banned
Speaking as someone who actually managed to get a preorder in this afternoon, I 100% agree with the sentiment. I saw a lot of heartache last year over the NES classic, and it bums me out knowing there's gonna be a lot more of that. However, I'm pretty excited to replay Secret of Mana with my girlfriend and finally get to play through Final Fantasy 6. So I guess I'm buying in protest.

randomkid

I don't understand how selling fewer products makes Nintendo more money than selling more products, assuming the price of the product remains unchanged.

I don't understand how this product makes Nintendo much money at all to begin with. Factoring in packaging costs, two controllers, the design of the system, securing a (deliberately season-limited!) supply chain, and the devaluing of their virtual console library pricing, with no further DLC, subscription, or other monetizing options, what is Nintendo actually getting out this, and for just four months to boot? I don't like playing armchair analyst but nothing about this product makes any sense to me.

Fury451

Banned
dont reward waypoint for this clickbait bullshit
blame retailers for holding preorders at random times or holding back stock for overpriced bundles

Nintendo are experts at pulling this kind of bullshit, whether the article is click bait or not in its title is irrelevant.

DryvBy

Nintendo could meet demand if they gauged it remotely accurately and manufactured accordingly.

They don't want to. If this wasn't in limited demand, people wouldn't be foaming at the mouth. I was hit up near a dozen times asking how they can get one to flip. $300 on eBay is a nice profit.

jmizzal

I walked to gamestop 10 mins after they tweeted about in store preorders, got one no issues lol sorry I dont see the issue

Its a limited item, Nintendo said its a limited item, cant help there are bots and scalpers out there

Hey, an article by Patrick about the dumb SNES Classic preorder situation. I wonder if he did something useful like seek comment from Nintendo or talk to a source about what's going on.

Oh, it's just sour grapes/venting. I wish he had some sort of insight into the situatiom, like he usually does.

Audioboxer

Nintendo can indeed piss on an electric fence for knowingly and purposefully exploiting their fan base by under-shipping stock constantly. Not only for mainstream devices, they do it for a fucking release of two low-end pieces of hardware (NES/SNES) that China can probably shit out for 10$ shipped and Nintendo won't even keep them on repeat order for purchase.

GUZBkCC.gif

Stranya

It seems odd to blame the manufacturer in all of this... it's not like Nintendo can create infinite amounts of these consoles.

Who is even handling the pre-orders? Is it Nintendo giving retailers their initial allocations and then the retailers allocating so many of them (or all of them) to pre-orders?

No-one even knows how many consoles Nintendo is producing, or what their production limits are like. As far as we know Nintendo had their internal estimates and ratcheted them way up and are still behind. But this is an entirely new SKU with it's own production demands, you just don't go from 0-100 or re-allocate other resources magically.

I know the general attitude between this and the NES Classic is 'lol Nintendo' but some critical thinking would get you to the thoughts that if Nintendo had the means to sell you a console they would, and they aren't doing this out of spite.
I think there's a sensible middle ground somewhere between "infinite amounts" and "deliberate scarcity". Nintendo don't get any money from the resale market, so I don't understand why they'd make so few of these things. They could easily double or triple the number and would still sell out. They obviously don't hate money, so there's only one plausible, yet irrational answer: rarity purely for rarity's sake.

I walked to gamestop 10 mins after they tweeted about in store preorders, got one no issues lol sorry I dont see the issue

Its a limited item, Nintendo said its a limited item, cant help there are bots and scalpers out there

The way some of you defend how Nintendo has handled this situation is genuinely making me ashamed to be labeled a fan of the company.

Your post essentially amounts to a "Fuck You, Got Mine" attitude.

Veitsev

At this point I am pretty much giving up on getting one and just sticking to my modded NES classic. I'd like to give Nintendo money but if its this big of a hassle why bother.

Kureransu

This situation happens because past history has indicated that there may not be anything at day 20 or day 100.

Well doing it online makes it even more obnoxious though. Scalpers do this for a living pretty much. the chances of us beating them is slim to none. I know it's how the times are, but it doesn't make it any less infuriating for those who just want to enjoy a product they truly desire to have.

Top Bottom