• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a Battle Royale game exist?

luulubuu

Battle-Royale-e1482340602771.jpg

Giving the context that the genre Battle Royale is getting crazy and no one can stop it, could a licensed game about the manga Battle Royale have a chance?

Imagine a Battle Royale Battle Royale game where you incarnate a student and you are dropped in an island and you have to survive with the tool you get and move between zones before you die.

Of course, in this version, the pacing would be way more slow, with high use of the dialogue and teamwork between strangers to survive.

Imagine you are dropped with a lantern, you can't choose where you are dropped, your item seems totally worthless, but night is almost here and you can use it to lure people into a trap.

I think it would be very cool and a nice change of pace, what do you think Gaf?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
If any of the survival games are to be believed, it will be less working together and traps and more instant KOS with rocks and sticks.

A single player story driven game wouldn't work. A multiplayer game could work.

They could do a tournament story-lite multiplayer campaign. Everyone who wins gets put into a higher bracket of winners with story bits added each time. Although that never seems to work very well haha.

I wonder if a battle royal game with character abilities like moba or overwatch could be fun.

FluxWaveZ

Similar thought behind a thread I made yesterday.

I think, if it had an emphasis on story, it might be too linear for it to be mechanically rewarding. The inherent openendedness of Battle Royale means that it would need to constrain the player in a lot of ways, or else the story could diverge in all sorts of ways. Since I love the setting, though, a TTG Battle Royale sounds like what this would be.

A much slower pace and perhaps more of a focus on survival (water & food) means this might not work in a large multiplayer capacity like PUBG. Unless it became a straight up survival game or something, which removes its appeal.

A focus on melee and unconventional weapons would be cool, though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That'd be cool, but I don't know if many (at least, American) publishers would be willing to take the media flak for a schoolchildren murder simulator.

Oh cool, like very tactical and sneaky? Like a knife could do a devastating damage?
If somebody could make a melee system thst isn't completely awful it would be something. Rust, Ark, H1Z1, PUBG pretty much every survival and/or BR has suffered from abysmal melee combat. Not sure if it's latency or engine problems but it's pretty bad.

Blam

I wouldn't mind playing a more slow paced Battle Royale game.

But it has to be done right or it's gonna suck.

Slow paced battle royale won't work because nobody likes spending 2 hours setting shit up and building their player just to die.

PUBG gets it right because the games are JUST short enough not to instil fatigue. Games feel more disposable and immediate.

nelo_inc

I doubt a single player game based on the movie would work, and as for a multiplayer mode if similar to the movie i don't think it would work either.
PUBG already explored and transformed this "theme" in the proper way.

Cirerus

I think a game based on the "Battle Royale" franchise would work better as a Telltale's game than a PUBG clone.

Übermatik;249093406 said:
Slow paced battle royale won't work because nobody likes spending 2 hours setting shit up and building their player just to die.

PUBG gets it right because the games are JUST short enough not to instil fatigue. Games feel more disposable and immediate.
This is a big one. The fact that you get thrown into anither match instantly also makes it less frustrating. In KOTK a few quick deaths meant that was it for the day.

luulubuu

Doesn't Japan already have a few franchises where teenagers kill each other?

Buuuuustedd ~

This is a big one. The fact that you get thrown into anither match instantly also makes it less frustrating. In KOTK a few quick deaths meant that was it for the day.

Maybe if you add a progression system? Like you get to know more about the island and make stuff happen faster, like set a trap or walk crouching faster... But that would need a very complex matchmaking

luulubuu

I think a narrative driven game with maybe

*very close to the mic*

dark souls elements

Would work.

You make your character, and you enrole into the BR game, based on the creation system, maybe random generated, you get an item, with that item you need to progress around and gathering better items and stuff, while is singleplayer, you could be invaded by a Rival Student that is a character controlled by another player that will try to kill you and steal things from you.

You can also help others etc

could a licensed game about the manga Battle Royale have a chance?

Are we talking about the same Battle Royale manga serialized on Young Champion and illustrated Taguchi Masayuki?
It's too trashy, silly andpredictable so no publisher would finance it.

The sequel and side story could work but I don't think they would make very interesting games.

And original story could be the way to go for a Battle Royale game.

luulubuu

Are we talking about the same Battle Royale manga serialized on Young Champion and illustrated Taguchi Masayuki?
It's too trashy, silly andpredictable so no publisher would finance it.

The sequel and side story could work but I don't think they would make very interesting games.

And original story could be the way to go for a Battle Royale game.

UHm do you saw my pitch about giving it a souls approach?

UHm do you saw my pitch about giving it a souls approach?

Yes, that would an intersting concept and I would like to try something like that but my previous post was only about the idea of making a BR game on the already existing entries in the series (book, manga and movie).

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
A bump on this thread, since I've recently started reading through the original book of Battle Royale (I watched the film years ago when I was a teen so I don't recall most of it) and it's pretty gripping.

I think that a multiplayer, Battle Royale style game which took some of the style of it, if not the actual story beats, could be decent. I think features that could make it a distinct thing from PUBG and more its own beast.

A greater focus on melee would be good, since it's apparently an afterthought in PUBG compared to the gunplay; limiting the firearms and making melee a viable system would be grand. In addition, a health system that's more than just a healthbar - getting into a knife/sickle/ice pick fight might be a bit more tricky if you risk injuries that could bleed out or become infected.
Forbidden zones that acted like the book (so random grid squares that become lethal, as opposed to a collapsing circle); and having to mark them manually on a map instead of just knowing where it is.

I'm going to take a stab that PUBG is so successful at least in part due to the way it's built, being as simple/intuitive as possible to grasp. It's also likely that the suggestions I'm making would turn off the majority of players. But I still want it, damnit.

I'd love a "Battle Royale" mode for PUBG. By that, I mean being dropped on the island with a backpack and a random object inside.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Hunger games would be more appropriate given the ages of the characters, (still teenagers but still), plus I dig these costumes over school uniforms:

Honestly don't see how a narrative version of PUBG would work considering the unpredictable of other players that couldn't possibly be replicated by AI or enhanced by dramatic cutscenes and characters is what makes it so good in the first place.

Widge

If any of the survival games are to be believed, it will be less working together and traps and more instant KOS with rocks and sticks.

Unless the game was structured to make certain places on the map defendable by small knit groups, or areas and mechanics that benefit trios rather than a lone wolf.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I mean it's not like there aren't good online multiplayer games with good melee combat (that aren't fighting games). Handling it on the scale of something like PUBG might be harder but it can't be impossible.

I would also accept a new Condemned game with multiplayer, C2 online was absolutely beast

Ferrio

Banned
Maybe singleplayer, definitely not multiplayer. The whole killing aspect of the movie is one of it's weakest points. It's more about the drama and character reactions to the situation they've been put in, the killing is just a vehicle to move that forward. That's something you're never going to achieve in a multiplayer game, and it's going to be *very* hard to achieve in a single. It would have to be some weird cross between a TellTale game and pubg.

AAMARMO

Banned
Sadly no because it would be an AO rating. Due to kids killing kids that why we haven't seen it happen yet same as the Hunger Games.

Radnom

Of course, in this version, the pacing would be way more slow, with high use of the dialogue and teamwork between strangers to survive.

I believe the reason teamwork and working together is discouraged (well, outright banned) outside of dedicated squad mode servers in PUBG is to prevent big groups from just logging onto a server and dominating the game by working together. As much as it would be great to try and negotiate peace with random people you find, in a game like this you're much less likely to get people grouping together naturally in the game and much more likely to have groups using Discord gather up and gang up on individuals, and ignoring the in-game comms.

There's definitely a good reason why you can report players who aren't killing each other.

I think it'd be really hard to make this feel fun and fair for solo players logging on, and I don't know how to get around it. Maybe there could be soft mechanics that encourage you to work together with people that you might not otherwise group up with - an example could be some kind of weapon that you need two other people with the other pieces of the puzzle to operate it with you, selected randomly so you can't rely on real life friends. Or, 'soft' teams where if you survive along with some other players wearing the same logo as you, you both win, or something like that. I don't think these would be ideal solutions though.

gabbo

I believe the reason teamwork and working together is discouraged (well, outright banned) outside of dedicated squad mode servers in PUBG is to prevent big groups from just logging onto a server and dominating the game by working together. As much as it would be great to try and negotiate peace with random people you find, in a game like this you're much less likely to get people grouping together naturally in the game and much more likely to have groups using Discord gather up and gang up on individuals, and ignoring the in-game comms.

There's definitely a good reason why you can report players who aren't killing each other.

I think it'd be really hard to make this feel fun and fair for solo players logging on, and I don't know how to get around it. Maybe there could be soft mechanics that encourage you to work together with people that you might not otherwise group up with - an example could be some kind of weapon that you need two other people with the other pieces of the puzzle to operate it with you, selected randomly so you can't rely on real life friends. Or, 'soft' teams where if you survive along with some other players wearing the same logo as you, you both win, or something like that. I don't think these would be ideal solutions though.

Well Battle Royale does have the exploding collars AND has Forbidden Zones that change randomly. I've not played any real multiplayer survival games or whatever PUBG would fall into, but if these could be incorporated, OR have a player as the overseer who plays on a tactical map and the players on the island are trying to defeat your traps/etc, who is restricted in when and how they can blow collars (ie player indicators on the tactical map light up red for infractions) it might work. Besides, in BR, team work is encouraged to the extent that it's not against the rules. Having 'previous winners' as the book does, who are either high powered AI or top level players who can come in and bust up a team would help even out what you're mentioning

As a single player story-focused game, I don't see it working out well, because the game requires a certain level of randomness and reaction/cooperation from the player that being funneled down a scripted plot couldn't achieve as easily.

Top Bottom