• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you own games as a kid you could never figure out?

the45thlyric

Neo Member
Couldn't figure out how to beat Level 7 for the longest time in Legend of Zelda as I refused to look at any guide. Was beyond ecstatic when I finally figured it out.

jaws-usa.png

Santar

530728-tau-ceti-commodore-64-screenshot-ready-to-launch.png

Tau Ceti on the Commodore 64 comes to mind.
I got it on a multi game compilation and sorta gathered it was supposed to be some sort of space sim, but I could never make heads or tail of it, never managed to do anything in the game.

Ailike

Legacy of the Wizard. It was one of my first games, so there was a -lot- of hitting my head against the wall on that one.

ghibli99

Raiders of the Lost Ark on Atari 2600 as a kid (was in maybe 3rd grade at the time?). Got to like the 3rd or 4th screen and had no idea what to do without hints in magazines and such. Still couldn't figure that game out beyond that... I still remember a classmate making a comment that it was easy and that the ark was in a mesa somewhere. It'd be interesting to try again today. With the help of hints again too. LOL

Therion

It must have been at least a year before I figured out Jaws on the NES.

Also, I think Night Driver on the 2600 required a special controller that I didn't have, so every time I tried to play I just drove off the side of the road instantly. But I still tried...

Orayn

6 year old me didn't understand Samus Returns in the slightest. My parents got it for me with my Game Boy and wound up trading it in for something else, though I can't remember which one.

Reminiscing about it really makes me want to try the 3DS remake.

m00h

Banned
QuackShot for Sega Mega Drive.

As I was 8yo I couldn't figure out how to get past the wall in the very first level
QuackShot_(SMD)_Replay_08.png

Figured that out few years later. But then I was stuck at that endless floor level and couldn't figure out how to continue
quackshot_3.png

15 years later I figured that out on my nostalgia replay, and finally finished the game for the first time. I also never use guides.

Deadly Towers for the NES. To be fair that game is busted but I had no idea what I was doing. I'd just sort of walk around kill a few things then turn it off.

Roger Rabbit for the NES was another one that was hard to crack. My cousin and I did eventually figure it out and ended up beating it.

uceenk

Excitebike on NES

i had no idea how load/save supposed to work in this game, and to make it worst i didn't understand what "load/save" means back then

Aizo

Banned
There was a boss late into the story of Bomberman Tourmament on GBA that seemed invincible no matter what I tried. All bombs seemed to be useless against him. I just quit after dying many times.

FiveSide

Banned
alundra-2-a-new-legend-begins-usa.jpg

Alundra 2. When I was a young 'un, me and my family had majorly shit taste and this was the ONLY RPG I had for the PS1. Yup. Hell I didn't even have the first Alundra.

And the kicker? I've never even gotten past the first level. Got stuck in some area of the airship and couldn't figure out how to proceed.

The Lion King and Jurassic Park for SNES

But I loved the shit out of LK and JP so I didn't care if I didn't know how to play them :p

Brother got a game called Hellbender for Windows PC in the late 90's and I couldn't figure out what the point of the game was besides getting laser upgrades and kamikaze into enemy ship or the ground.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Took me like two years to figure out the final starmap puzzle at the end of Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception on the Apple IIe.

Drain You

I was stuck on Myst for a long time until the answer came to me in a dream.

Lester for Snes I never beat as a kid but that was just cause it was a shit game.

Halfmunch

49357_front.jpg

Legacy of the Wizard, loved the title but had no clue what to do to make progress in the game. Never finished and I still feel bad about it. 😂

You shouldn't post pictures without any context or information explaining why you're posting the image. What are we supposed to discern from this picture?

---

When I was a young teen I couldn't figure out what the "point" of Cel Damage was. I thought it was a racing game like Mario Kart, but there were no tracks. I didn't know how to win or how to progress through matches.

The game had lots of cheats so I would just play multiplayer against bots and hope I would win. Eventually I figured out that the objective was to get kills, but by then I was pretty set in my ways. I never played the campaign ever and just used cheats to unlock everything right away and play bots in the multi.

Matty77

Milon's secret castle and Shadowgate, both NES, both I actually banged my head against an impenetrable wall I never got past way longer than most people.

Usually the amount of time I will do that pays off, such as the mentioned in thread multiple times NES Jaws title. It was unclear as hell but it clicked one day and from that point on I actually would win every time I played, all about triggering the boat ramming scene where you aim to spear his ass.

Fun times.

I did figure it out as a kid, but this story is sort of relevant. In Phantasy Star IV you have to use an item to break a barrier, and then again in a boss battle to not do 1 damage to the boss. I broke the barrier then had to stop playing for a month (I forget why, maybe I was in trouble and had my video game time revoked?). Anyways, I couldn't remember the item for the boss. Grinded until I was 50 levels past where I was supposed to be, Almost beat him, ran out of items except for THE item. Use the item. One shot kill him. Felt really dumb.

My very first Zelda game. Link's Awakening. I got stuck in the first dungeon because I didn't know it was a thing to push blocks and the only hint I had wasn't even relevant to progressing. "Turn aside the spined ones with a shield" I had no idea what that meant at the time. should have said spiked instead of spined which I thought meant the Stalfos. All I had to do was push a block and I was then able to progress.

Indecently I traded someone Metroid 2 for Link's Awakening which I had no clue what to even do.

Top Bottom