• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 new Resident Evil VII: Not A Hero Screenshots (Another Melee Finisher Returns)

liquidtmd

Banned
Real Resident Evil is back?!

Can we have one RE7 thread that isn't immediately derailed by nudge-nudge-wink-wink digs about what the franchise as a whole should and shouldn't be?

I said the same thing months ago about the future of first person RE and "fanboys" (who apparently failed to turn up for their precious RE7 which had disappointing sales) told me to shut up. Looks like we know who Capcom really listens to these days tho. So it must suck to be them.

You can defend a game and it have disappointing sales, in the same way you can shit on a game that was reviewed very well by large parts of the commercial media

Not particularly you, but sections of GAF seem to be relishing in RE7 not setting the world alight despite it selling well enough and reviewing great. And trust me, I enjoyed RE7 but it's flawed (that last 1/3 after some time really doesn't sit well). However Capcom changing direction and trying some new things with it is the last thing they should be hung with.

Besides which - take Resident Evil 1 / Remake. Slow paced. Wander round an estate. Slower paced mystery. Guns used but strategically and ammo often conserved. High tension. Some twists. Yeah real Resident Evil is back...

Astral Dog

I said the same thing months ago about the future of first person RE and "fanboys" (who apparently failed to turn up for their precious RE7 which had disappointing sales) told me to shut up. Looks like we know who Capcom really listens to these days tho. So it must suck to be them.
RE7 sold well for an (half)horror game, just not as much as Capcom xpected

It especially odd when this month we're seeing chris in the RE5 design.
ItF3U4x.jpg

Though going by the director or someone from RE7. Apparently both styles are here to stay in some capacity. RE7 chris for these more realistic RE engine games and the regular RE5 style chris to stay for not realistic stuff. Still odd but whatever.

Even off looking Vendetta Chris really grew on me,
tumblr_opxe82Rf0o1to4jpyo8_r1_540.png

I don't think 7's ever will,

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Post seems uncharacteristically aggressive but alright...

Somebody on the US Gamer podcast said that one of the RE VII DLC packs was being made by ex-PT developers? I guess this one isn't it ? Does anybody have any intel on this?

I think we will. Between this DLC and Vendetta. I think capcom knows at this point. It's best to keep RE as a broad franchise in-terms of genre. No reason to seclude it to only one style or perspective.
REV2 was announced at TGS right? Well maybe this Tuesday.... lol who am I kidding, Capcom ain't announcing a new RE at that show.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looking forward to it.

Off topic:
Though with the recent Gold version announcement and it apparently selling for $49. I paid the full price and $25 for the season pass and definitely feel like the season pass has not delivered.

Ah well .. Capcom gonna Capcom I guess.

majik13

How is there no talk of VR in this thread. Just one unasnwered question about it. So has there been any mention of VR for the DLC? I was assuming it was a givin, but now with no talk nor confirmation Im not so sure...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How is there no talk of VR in this thread. Just one unasnwered question about it. So has there been any mention of VR for the DLC? I was assuming it was a givin, but now with no talk nor confirmation Im not so sure...

They confirmed that both Not a Hero and End of Zoe support PSVR fully.

Disappointing because Capcom has ridiculous expectations, not because it didn't sell.

You seem oddly hostile about this. I'm not sure why.

Anyway, there's a place in RE for both styles.

DVCY201

Well that didn't stop them when made RE5 Chris look ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like RE1 or RECVX Chris

The cast of RE1 largely had their designs cemented by REmake, so much so that their faces were practically reused for RE5. They've had a consistent design for longer than they were inconsistent

It is what it is, but I'll forever prefer this look

dlauv

This looks good to be honest. I just hope they've made some adjustments to combat to make shooting enemies actually exciting.

It's nice to see that a little melee is all it took to keep some of the bigger Action RE fans happy here.

Pooya

hopefully movement and general feeling of the controls isn't as awful too otherwise action focus is pointless. It doesn't work well in this game when everything feels floaty and unresponsive.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also for the record, Not a Hero (the free one) is more the action focused DLC (that's not to say there's zero horror elements, but it is more action-oriented), while End of Zoe (the final DLC of the Season Pass) is more horror oriented.

The easiest comparison to make I suppose would be Resident Evil 5's DLC, where one DLC was more action (Desperate Escape) and one was more horror (Lost in Nightmares). Except obviously RE5's was RE5 styled, while for this it's RE7 styled. Given both NaH and EoZ have surprises in store and both have unique mechanics, enemies, locations, and design things for them that aren't in the main game.

---

For combat stuff, yes the combat is different between Ethan and Chris. Ethan's inability in first-person shooting was a very intentional design decision to not make the game a first-person shooter.

T.O.P

Banned
Always so hostile huh

Anyway, hyped as fuck for this, new Chris looks good and I'm really confident about this DLC quality, better be meaty as fuck :D

"You'll be outnumbered, but not outgunned" sums up the modern RE games pretty well. Lots of paper thin generic zombies to shoot that grab you when they get too close and you just mindlessly spray them. Where're the mention of intricate puzzles, survival tactics, item management, weapon cycling?

Neoxon

I feel like it’ll be satisfying as hell to mow over the enemies that gave us a hard time in the main game.

As a wise man once said, “Payback’s a bitch”.

labx

Banned
So people hated RE7, huh? The more you know.

Personally I love this game to death. Is up there in my top 3 RE games. It is flawed like every game. I didn't mind the combat at all (why people are looking for the perfect combat in a resident evil game? Because RE4?). The "bad" thing of the game is when the plot derails in the 3/4 of the game. But in general one of my favorite games of the year.

edit: And a shout out to Dusk Golem, I still remember the "blind" playthrough of this game and the demo. Amazing experience. I'm going to be there, day 1 with you man. I know you are going to stream it like a champ

liquidtmd

Banned
edit: And a shout out to Dusk Golem, I still remember the "blind" playthrough of this game and the demo. Amazing experience. I'm going to be there, day 1 with you man. I know you are going to stream it like a champ

Yeah, lol.

The hype mystery and seeing people lose their minds playing Beginning Hour and following / contributing in the GAF thread was so involving and entertaining I can almost forgive their actually being legitimately no way to escape until the final patch.

The 'Go Tell Aunt Rhody' trailer used to reveal the game also was perfect.

Real Resident Evil is back?!

Huh I’m usually on board with your posts but this is way off base. RE7 (a) was great and (b) sold fine - “disappointing” sales for Capcom is meaningless when their sales targets were absurd. Its insane to think that a massive shift in gameplay style would not translate to some sales differences. That was a big risk, they took it and in the context of major risk, it actually worked out reasonably well.

The RE5/RE6 defence force on this board is one of the most confounding things I’ve come across on the internet. I simply cannot make sense of it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm interested to see how they blend the horror and action elements in this one. There's a lot of potential for both with RE7's approach.

TreIII

It's cool that this seems to be more action based, but I doubt this will even come close to scratching the same itch as previous action RE titles. The kinda of action RE provided just doesn't work with a first person view.

Hopefully we'll get a new third person action RE game (a new sub series maybe?) sooner rather than later.

Yeah, this is me.

Bring on that new Biohazard game you've been working on, Kobayashi.

Piers

Watch as future games with Chris Redfield go back to his RE5-6 design because "We were just experimenting in RE7 lol"

Top Bottom