• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game titles that sound like they're in a different genre than they actually are

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Slap Fight is an odd name for a shoot 'em up.

slap-fight-1.png
Same thing with Image Fight

Timu

Black and White sounds like a game you see the world in for black and white, not a great god game I used to play back in the day.

Orcastar

Dead Space sounds like some kind of magazine layout design simulator.

Sleeping Dogs sounds like a game where you plan and carry out burglaries.

Timu

Brawl Brothers sounds like a fighting game between bros, not a beat em up that has a ninja and a female wrestler.

rudy

Neo Member
Dead or Alive certainly wouldn't bring a 3D fighter to mind just off its name. Sounds more like a shooter and/or zombie game.

So true :) even today after playing the games, every time I read "Dead or Alive" my first thought is zombies.

Timu

Death by Degrees sounds like a horror game in the winter setting, not a action adventure game starring Nina Williams from Tekken.

Overwatch is a title that screams for an XCOM squad tactics game, and when Blizzard announced it I was actually rather let down that the world and characters were being spent on an FPS instead.

Phediuk

Half-Life sounds like it should be either a chemistry game in the vein of Conway's Game of Life or else a puzzle game where the blocks keep degrading and you get less points the longer they're on the board.

Phediuk

In the same vein: I always found the name "Maximum Carnage" a little too extreme for what it actually was - a superhero beat 'em up. I know it's named after the character, but when I hear "Maximum Carnage" I'm picturing a Doom or Mortal Kombat-esque 90s gore game.

That would be Total Carnage.

Madao

Earthbound sounds like a game about space travel where there's a lot of difficulties that won't let people get off the planet.

i was one of those that tought Animal Crossing was a breeding game since the title sounds close to the spanish word for breeding.

Sin & Punishment sounds more like a detective visual novel than an on-rails shooter.

Armigr

"Cho Dengeki Striker" sounds like the name of an over-the-top action game rather than a visual novel (with an action bent, to be fair).

senj

Phalanx_SNES_touchup.jpg

The game named after a Greek word for a rectangular Infantry formation, featuring a bearded banjo-playing extra from Deliverance on the cover is, as one might suspect, a futuristic space shmup set on an alien planet.

Phalanx_SNES_touchup.jpg

The game named after a Greek word for a rectangular Infantry formation, featuring a bearded banjo-playing extra from Deliverance on the cover is, as one might suspect, a futuristic space shmup set on an alien planet.

I adore this cover, and I get it, but I can't explain why I get it, or what there is to get

I always thought this title was weird too. I've heard it was named because it's even more puzzle-heavy than Zelda, but it also had better combat then Zelda too, and fairies that actually do shit. I don't think puzzles are the only selling point.

Brain Lord was a fucking awesome game. hella tunes too

but lol that title

also hot damn is that cover character based on a Yoshitaka Amano illustration or something??

Story of Thor (beyond Oasis in the US) has fuck all to do with Thor or anything even remotely Norse for that matter. You'd expect something like Volgarr the Viking.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, is there a more fitting title than Streets of Rage?

Top Bottom