• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

Ne0n

Banned
You can't draw directly on the Yoga Book screen and to me that makes it a flawed device with weird ass compromises on keyboard and art tablet functionality.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to those who are brand new to digital drawing, since you have to deal with the learning curve of drawing while looking away from your hands. If you are use to Intuos tablets, it's fine I guess, but in this day and age of really good pen display equipped 2 in 1 tablets for around $500, it's just a baffling device.

You can actually draw directly onto paper and it saves your sketches digitally, but for straight up digital drawing you can't no.
have been using the classic style of tablet for 10+ years so it's totally fine for me :), i think it's a much better way of digital drawing as you can be much more detailed with strokes and such as the pen hides too much when drawing on the screen I find. I know a lot of people hate it though.

Like I said in my initial post as a stand alone device for creating artwork? No way. but as a super light ultra portable media device that you can sketch concepts/ rough drafts that you expand on later? It's fantastic. It's much lighter/thinner and more portable than the others. Which is a huge selling point for me.

I find the more high end devices baffling, as someone who works with 5-10GB psd's for print, the surface pros etc are just totally pointless anyway, no device in the space right now is able to give high end professional output at all.

Shog, is this Yoga 720 pretty much all I should be looking at with a $1500 budget? Or, is it overkill?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...b-ssd-platinum-silver/5722755.p?skuId=5722755

I need a workhorse for a manga project. I had my eye on the i7 Surfacebook for the longest time, but I'm not really feeling it anymore.

That's the most powerful pen enabled 2 in 1 at the moment along with the VAIO Z Canvas, which also has quad core i7, but only Iris Pro GPU instead of the GTX 1050 in the Yoga 720 15.

I don't think it's an overkill, especially if you are dealing with really big and crazy layered PSD files, or doing 1 million+ poly models in Z Brush. I would personally order it from Lenovo though, so I can do 32GB of RAM. There is a config at their website with 16GB onboard memory and empty SoDIMM slot. Best Buy model has 8GB onboard na 8GB modules in the SoDIMM slot.

You can actually draw directly onto paper and it saves your sketches digitally, but for straight up digital drawing you can't no.
have been using the classic style of tablet for 10+ years so it's totally fine for me :), i think it's a much better way of digital drawing as you can be much more detailed with strokes and such as the pen hides too much when drawing on the screen I find. I know a lot of people hate it though.

Like I said in my initial post as a stand alone device for creating artwork? No way. but as a super light ultra portable media device that you can sketch concepts/ rough drafts that you expand on later? It's fantastic. It's much lighter/thinner and more portable than the others. Which is a huge selling point for me.

I find the more high end devices baffling, as someone who works with 5-10GB psd's for print, the surface pros etc are just totally pointless anyway, no device in the space right now is able to give high end professional output at all.

Yoga 720 15 and VAIO Z Canvas are two models that can do professional output no problem due to their quad core i7 CPUs. VZC is limited to 16GB of RAM and Iris Pro GPU so it may struggle with your 10GB PSD files, but the Yoga 720 15 has capability for 32GB of RAM and GTX 1050 GPU so It can handle your PSD files,

Can it compete with desktop workstations? No. But it can pretty much any content creation duties that iMacs and other laptops can.

But then again, most design professional are not dealing with 5~10GB PSD files. I'm an industrial designer, not dealing with large format print, so my PSD files rarely get bigger than few hundred MBs. For most of us, a Surface Pro will do the job, and especially if we need to do those jobs on the go.

I'm baffled that you don't see a need for someone to use these devices away from their desks, not tethered to a big desktop. Whether you see it or not, these on screen pen devices fills a lot of professionals' needs.

Ne0n

Banned
I see a need for it, I totally love 2 in 1's, but for me personally, it's counter intuitive for me to spend 1000+ on a super powerful one that just isn't as fast/has a small screen or easy to use as my workstation, the workflow is weird, and I can't get stuck into a project in a coffee shop or something.

Also, a huge factor for me is portability, I fly a lot. The yoga book weighs a tiny 600grams. it's pretty much like throwing a book in your hand luggage. having a 2+kg block of plastic together with bulky charger is just a hassle, especially when I won't even be using it for the bulk of my work. Will either be sketches or showing clients proposals. Which the Yoga book does fine.

That's the most powerful pen enabled 2 in 1 at the moment along with the VAIO Z Canvas, which also has quad core i7, but only Iris Pro GPU instead of the GTX 1050 in the Yoga 720 15.

I don't think it's an overkill, especially if you are dealing with really big and crazy layered PSD files, or doing 1 million+ poly models in Z Brush. I would personally order it from Lenovo though, so I can do 32GB of RAM. There is a config at their website with 16GB onboard memory and empty SoDIMM slot. Best Buy model has 8GB onboard na 8GB modules in the SoDIMM slot.

Bookmarked. Good rec.

So, Bamboo Ink Pen... Will that work out of the box with Photoshop and CSP? I don't need to buy anything like an adapter for whatever reason, right?

I see a need for it, I totally love 2 in 1's, but for me personally, it's counter intuitive for me to spend 1000+ on a super powerful one that just isn't as fast/has a small screen or easy to use as my workstation, the workflow is weird, and I can't get stuck into a project in a coffee shop or something.

Also, a huge factor for me is portability, I fly a lot. The yoga book weighs a tiny 690grams. it's pretty much like throwing a book in your hand luggage. having a 2+kg block of plastic together with bulky charger is just a hassle, especially when I won't even be using it for the bulk of my work. Will either be sketches or showing clients proposals. Which the Yoga book does fine.

Yoga book is hardly more useful than say a 10" Android tablet with pen capability, so let's leave that out of the discussion.

I'm currently doing work at my clients' for a month. I carry my VAIO Z Canvas to work everyday. Only 2.2 lbs so it's very portable. When I'm there, I can attach it to one of their Cintiqs at my assigned desk, or detach it from the Cintiq and use it during meetings in a conference or whatever with my Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart. At any point in the day, I have access to all my files and all my programs including Photoshop CC, Clip Studio Paint, Z Brush, etc... Not everyone deals with large format printing like you, so you don't necessarily need the power of a desktop workstation.

Something like Yoga 720 15 maybe a tad on the heavy side at 4.4lbs and basically the double the weight of my VZC, but even that beast is also plenty portable for travel.

Bookmarked. Good rec.

So, Bamboo Ink Pen... Will that work out of the box with Photoshop and CSP? I don't need to buy anything like an adapter for whatever reason, right?
I recommend Bamboo Ink Smart for Yoga 720 15 only for those who need to pick one up at a brick and mortar store TODAY. Best Buy carries them so it's convenient for that purpose.

But if you have time to order something for your Yoga 720 15 online, definitely save $30 and get the Bamboo Smart CS320AK instead. It's got the same load sensor as the Bamboo Ink but doesn't do the dual protocol with MPP that you don't have the need for. Unless you really really see the need for the BT button on the back of the Bamboo Ink.

https://us-store.wacom.com/Catalog/...t-for-select-tablets-and-2in1-S01#/undefined1

Ne0n

Banned
Whatever works for you man! This discussion has pretty much hit a brick wall at this point. and yes the yoga book is much more useful as it has an actual keyboard that looks like something out of 2104

Whatever works for you man! This discussion has pretty much hit a brick wall at this point. and yes the yoga book is much more useful as it has an actual keyboard that looks like something out of 2104

To be totally truthful here, I really really hate that fucking Yoga Book lol. When they announced it I had like a week long rant about it here and elsewhere. At this point my hate for it is so ingrained into my psyche that I have to comment on it anytime it is mentioned. Call it a personality flaw. Sorry. ;)

Much appreciated, Shog.

My pleasure.

Ne0n

Banned
haha it's fine. They really shouldn't be promoting this as any kind of device for serious output and in a lot of their advertising and they do, but this thing would totally melt even with a few layers in photoshop. it barely handles 10+tabs in chrome.

I'm just a huge sucker for cool looking devices and it does all I need it to. the VIAO Z canvas looks awesome, btw.

haha it's fine. They really shouldn't be promoting this as any kind of device for serious output and in a lot of their advertising and they do, but this thing would totally melt even with a few layers in photoshop. it barely handles 10+tabs in chrome.

I'm just a huge sucker for cool looking devices and it does all I need it to. the VIAO Z canvas looks awesome, btw.

As much as I hate its very existence, I will have to admit to its sexy factor 100%. Especially the Star Trek Next generation-esque keyboard.

UrbanRats

The Yoga arrived.
Looks great, but there's one simple problem... having ordered from Amazon France (the only place i found with the 15") the system language is in France (whatever, i can change Windows language easily) and... the keyboard is using AZERTY, instead of QWERTY.
This is fucking with my brain, and i sure as shit wouldn't be able to type on this thing.

I wonder if moving the keys around, after i set the software to QWERTY, is a viable option.

DrDamn

The Yoga arrived.
Looks great, but there's one simple problem... having ordered from Amazon France (the only place i found with the 15") the system language is in France (whatever, i can change Windows language easily) and... the keyboard is using AZERTY, instead of QWERTY.
This is fucking with my brain, and i sure as shit wouldn't be able to type on this thing.

I wonder if moving the keys around, after i set the software to QWERTY, is a viable option.

This may help ... http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2227707/change-azerty-qwerty-hardware.html

UrbanRats

Yeah i already changed my software to QWERTY, but the problem is the labels on the keys are all wrong now.
Not a huge deal for letters, since i have muscle memory, but for puctuation and symbols, it's annoying.
I wonder if some stickers would do the trick, there has to be something of the sort, so i don't have to swap the actual keys.

--
ANYWAYS, do i have to download Wacom drivers for the bamboo smart pen? It seems to work out of the box, but maybe not optimally?

The Yoga arrived.

It is possible, but I personally just have two keyboard languages set up. By holding SHIFT and tapping ALT, you can swap between your languages on the fly. If you can type blindly, it's more than fine. If I need to delve into weird special characters and have to look at the keys, I just tap the combination to switch.

UrbanRats

It is possible, but I personally just have two keyboard languages set up. By holding SHIFT and tapping ALT, you can swap between your languages on the fly. If you can type blindly, it's more than fine. If I need to delve into weird special characters and have to look at the keys, I just tap the combination to switch.

Let's say so and so.

I'll look for eventual stickers, assuming they exist, but yeah, swapping the physical keys around, i don't think i'll do.

Mailbox

I'm looking for a good tablet with HDMI any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think its a lot harder to find something that doesn't have those qualities actually.

- Do you just need any hdmi out? is a display port out okay? usb-c? mini/micro hdmi?
- what is your definition of good? Anything specific you want to do with it?
- Preferred form factor?
- Price range?

NotSelf

I think its a lot harder to find something that doesn't have those qualities actually.

- Do you just need any hdmi out? is a display port out okay? usb-c? mini/micro hdmi?
- what is your definition of good? Anything specific you want to do with it?
- Preferred form factor?
- Price range?

Just 3 things doodle gaming and watch youtube on my tv.

I was going to get a nvidia shield tablet but they seem to be discontinued $200 is my range ports one usb and the hdmi.

I did google this and the RCA 11 Galileo Pro with micro hdmi seems to be the
highest rated but would definitely appreciate second opinions on here.

UrbanRats

So i've been using the Yoga 720 a bit now.
I still need more time to adapt, but it's pretty great.

Unfortunately i still prefer the Cintiq, mainly for (and i'm doing some guess work here, because it's hard to pin down what a "feeling" comes down to):

1. The pen (Bamboo Smart, not the INK, which isn't available here yet) is awfully small.
2. The glass, is way too... smooth? It's missing that peculiar texture that makes the cintiq feel great to draw on.
3. I need my spring pen tip, i actually didn't even like drawing on the cintiq at all, until i put on this tip, that gives in a little (allegedly losing in sensitivity, but feels much more organic to me, i actually have more control over what i'm doing).

Hopefully number 1 and 3 can be remedied with a new pen, that perhaps support more traditional tips, in the future.
Point 2 could be worked around with perhaps a special screen protector, but for now i'll make do.

On the plus side, the portability of course is great, the tablet itself is wonderful (fingerprint scanner should available for desktop PCs too, lol) and:

1. Almost no parallax is great.
2. The supposed lag, i can barely tell it's there, tbh.
3. The 15" is a bit heavy to be using it as a walk around sketchbook, but the screen real estate is plenty.

Also, i do wish palm rejection was a bit more extreme, as sometimes it fucks up with my strokes, but it's very very minor.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hey Shog, or anyone else in the know, I have a friend who is asking which of the miix series can run photoshop fairly well without lagging, and which pen would you recommend these days? She doesn't need to work with anything in print resolution or anything, just web sized in general. This might be a long shot, but has anyone tried to run Animate CC on one of them yet either?

Thanks!

Damnit, I need some help. I ended up buying a Yoga 910(this model) yesterday as I got a great deal. On sale so $150 off, then $125 for student discount and then a $349 for an iPad return brought that down to like $630. With that I purchased a Bamboo Ink as well.

Now, tonight I can't get the damned thing to work and with a little research it seems the 910 isn't compatible with that pen. I suppose I should have looked into this before but the Best buy website, their damn displays and the clerk basically say that pen works with any Windows Ink computer.

DrDamn

Shog will probably confirm but I don't think the 910 is compatible with any pen, it's just a touchscreen without the gubbins for pen stuff (stop me if I'm getting too technical...).

Fuck, should have just gone with your recommendation. Its a damn shame, that's a fine piece of tech, those hinges look really great. The 700 series works with the Wacom pens though?

Item Box

So I've been on the fence between the yoga 720 and the surface pro 4(or book if I can find one at a good price).

On one hand, I love the real estate and extra power the 720 has. On the other, I could really use something I can easily carry around at all times and is lightweight.

I'll be using it mostly for editing and drawing (Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender, 3DS Max) and a little gaming at times.

I have about $1000 to spend and I've been going back and forth between the two. 🤔

zerosystem02

Neo Member
Besides the Yoga 720 which 2 in 1 is also good for gaming. Have to send my Yoga 720 back as it developed two issues within a few days of getting it. (black line cross the top right of the screen and wireless AC issues).

DrDamn

Besides the Yoga 720 which 2 in 1 is also good for gaming. Have to send my Yoga 720 back as it developed two issues within a few days of getting it. (black line cross the top right of the screen and wireless AC issues).

If you still have it I read something interesting on the black line issue the other day. Apparently something is loose and slipping down - what happens if you leave it with the screen upside down over night (in laptop bag with hinge at top for example).

Almost pulled the trigger on 720 as now available in the UK via Lenovo. I'd like to see one in person once before buying but it's not appeared in bricks and mortar shops yet.

zerosystem02

Neo Member
If you still have it I read something interesting on the black line issue the other day. Apparently something is loose and slipping down - what happens if you leave it with the screen upside down over night (in laptop bag with hinge at top for example).

Almost pulled the trigger on 720 as now available in the UK via Lenovo. I'd like to see one in person once before buying but it's not appeared in bricks and mortar shops yet.

I left the laptop upside down for a day and was still there when I opened it.

I don't think 15 inch 720 will ever appear in UK shops as it is a web exclusive.

I've got my eye out for a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro for when they come available in the UK.
Wacom EMR digitizer and a rx540 dGPU (Only 1080p disapointingly) in a slightly smaller and lighter footprint than average for 15" 2in1's.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/windows-laptops/15-18/notebook-9-pro-15--np940x5m-x01us/

Lisa@MobilTechReview did a 3 way comparison between a Spectra X360,Yoga 720 and the Samsung.

MobilTechReview 3way Smackdown

Tl:Dr - Spectre for looks and display; Samsung for best pen, slightly better performance than Spectre and lightest overall; and Yoga for class leading grunt by quite some margin.

Thanks guys, 720 works with Bamboo Ink but the buttons don't seem to be very consistent across apps. Downloaded the latest Wacom Pen drivers and set the top button for right click and the bottom for the Undo function. It seems to work fine with Sketchpad app but in Photoshop the bottom button only activates the zoom function.

Well folks, the Dell Canvas is finally available for order! (pre-order?)

"Sale" price of $1799 USD for you Americans, regular price is apparently $2500:

Outrageous markup to $3455.71 CAD for Canadians. That's 1000 dollars over the exchange rate price.

I truly cannot express my disappointment after waiting for so long for an affordable cintiq replacement and THAT's the Canadian price. Don't know what to do now, considering the 27QHD is about to be replaced in less than 6 months with new Pro models in 24 and 32 inch sizes respectively.

Mailbox

Well folks, the Dell Canvas is finally available for order! (pre-order?)

"Sale" price of $1799 USD for you Americans, regular price is apparently $2500:

Outrageous markup to $3455.71 CAD for Canadians. That's 1000 dollars over the exchange rate price.

I truly cannot express my disappointment after waiting for so long for an affordable cintiq replacement and THAT's the Canadian price. Don't know what to do now, considering the 27QHD is about to be replaced in less than 6 months with new Pro models in 24 and 32 inch sizes respectively.

wait, is that the Canadian SALE price, or is that the Canadian Regular price.
Because at regular price, that's ~$300CAD over the exchange rate.
If that is the Sale price, that is unacceptable

Thanks guys, 720 works with Bamboo Ink but the buttons don't seem to be very consistent across apps. Downloaded the latest Wacom Pen drivers and set the top button for right click and the bottom for the Undo function. It seems to work fine with Sketchpad app but in Photoshop the bottom button only activates the zoom function.
Photoshop isnt set to using Wacom wintab probably.

ameleco

Hey! So I'm a physics teacher and in class I'm always doing example problems. I'm wondering what you guys may recommend for a tablet that allow me to write down problems and upload them to some presentation software like powerpoint? I've been looking at potentially Wacom tablets since that would be way cheaper than a traditional tablet, but I'm just not sure it would work well. Their "active area" seems really small and does it even work for what I would want? Anyways, thanks!

WillyFive

Hey! So I'm a physics teacher and in class I'm always doing example problems. I'm wondering what you guys may recommend for a tablet that allow me to write down problems and upload them to some presentation software like powerpoint? I've been looking at potentially Wacom tablets since that would be way cheaper than a traditional tablet, but I'm just not sure it would work well. Their "active area" seems really small and does it even work for what I would want? Anyways, thanks!

A wireless Intuos should work very well. Hold it in your hand like a regular tablet, and draw on it from anywhere in the classroom while your pen strokes appears on-screen.

I haven't used the modern Intuos, but I have the previous generation Bamboo tablet, and it's active area is plenty large.

ameleco

A wireless Intuos should work very well. Hold it in your hand like a regular tablet, and draw on it from anywhere in the classroom while your pen strokes appears on-screen.

I haven't used the modern Intuos, but I have the previous generation Bamboo tablet, and it's active area is plenty large.

Ah okay. I was definitely looking at those and just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy or something. It's basically down to the Inutos or an Asus tablet or equivalent.

Mailbox

So, my screen protector for my Miix 510 and my bamboo smart pen that i ordered still haven't arrived almost a month later. I'm trying to get my money back for the smart pen, and they amazon marketplace seller for the screen protector (I've actually gotten some minor scuffs on my miix now, so... yeah i'm mostly looking for the matte texture for the pen on this one lol) is being re-sent w/ priority shipping so hopefully they don't use Royal mail b/c they are absolutely ass for delivery in canada :mad:

The good news is, I found out that there is a way to get the Wacom ink pen in canada. Its only available through the microsoft store (srsly, not even ebay has it) so if i get my money back from the smart pen, then I'll probably order one.
W/ student pricing discount, and including tax, its equivalent to $68.50USD which I think is a pretty good price.

The student pricing is only $9CAD less than w/o, but whatever I think its worth it, especially since it looks like wacom doesn't ship to canada (why have a drop-down menu for country if you only list USA, WACOM!)

I'll post the link for the Ink pen for fellow canadians looking for AES or MPP pens :)

Wacom Bamboo Ink Pen

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So I've got an older Wacom Bamboo tablet, but the issue is that it doesn't detect pressure sensativity anymore and the drivers are ancient at best on Windows 10.

Is there any decent, sub $200 priced tablets that could fit the bill?

I mainly use it for graphic design, but I'm looking in for illustration as well. I know it's not the best budget range, but it's the most I have at the moment.

Mailbox

So I've got an older Wacom Bamboo tablet, but the issue is that it doesn't detect pressure sensativity anymore and the drivers are ancient at best on Windows 10.

Is there any decent, sub $200 priced tablets that could fit the bill?

I mainly use it for graphic design, but I'm looking in for illustration as well. I know it's not the best budget range, but it's the most I have at the moment.

What size are you looking for?
Because you can probably get an Intuos Pro Small for $250 or just an Intuos Draw (its quite small and only has 4 shortcut keys) for $99.

You could also go for some alternatives. Thankfully, the alternatives in this catagory have made so much headway that its pretty easy to recommend them.

For example the Huion H610 Pro ($77) and the Huion New 1060 Plus (~$90) seem to be solid options for Drawing pads.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
What size are you looking for?
Because you can probably get an Intuos Pro Small for $250 or just an Intuos Draw (its quite small and only has 4 shortcut keys) for $99.

You could also go for some alternatives. Thankfully, the alternatives in this catagory have made so much headway that its pretty easy to recommend them.

For example the Huion H610 Pro ($77) and the Huion New 1060 Plus (~$90) seem to be solid options for Drawing pads.

So my current one had no buttons at all. The model is the CTL460.

My main thing is a pad that will work with Windows 10 and has pressure support. If all those buttons help out, then cool.

dafodeu

Can someone please help me. I want to buy my first Surface and this deal looks like it maybe to good to be true on Amazon for the Surface Pro 4 i5 4gb ram, 128gb ssd for
$628 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01606KJ6C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

To me it looks like the same Surface Microsoft sells regular for $999 but with the new Surface Pro they are having $150.00 off on the Microsoft website for $849. It is also on Microsoft's website refurbished for $729 so is the Amazon listing to good to be around $100 dollars less than the refurbished one? Am I missing something?

Bulzeeb

Can someone please help me. I want to buy my first Surface and this deal looks like it maybe to good to be true on Amazon for the Surface Pro 4 i5 4gb ram, 128gb ssd for
$628 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01606KJ6C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

To me it looks like the same Surface Microsoft sells regular for $999 but with the new Surface Pro they are having $150.00 off on the Microsoft website for $849. It is also on Microsoft's website refurbished for $729 so is the Amazon listing to good to be around $100 dollars less than the refurbished one? Am I missing something?

The only thing I see do far is that it is not being sold directly by Amazon but for a store called digital universe

Top Bottom