• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

JoeFu

Banned
God dammit. I swear it was zero effort to flash ROMs on the Nexus One with ADB. Seems with the GNex, you have to root, push the file with ADB into cache and then flash. Think i'll just wait for the OTA

Yeah it kinda sucks... To put new updates on the N1 was so easy. Just load the update on the SD card and power up and hold the vol. down at the same time and just choose apply update... Why can't the GN do that?

First impressions on 4.0.4 for GN

- I really like improved quick controls on the stock browser
- Pressing the running apps button doesn't result in massive system lag
- when you toggle brightness it gradually brightens/dims, as opposed to insta-switch
- likewise, when you turn on the screen it gradually gets brighter
- Play Books, Play Music, Play Movies, all installed

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
First impressions on 4.0.4 for GN

- Pressing the running apps button doesn't result in massive system lag

mR280.gif

http://i.imgur.com/mR280.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]

So far it's my favourite feature, accidentally pressing it often ended up with me being dumped back to the home screen and closing whatever I was doing.

It's not perfect there is a delay in the running apps popping up, but it's an acceptable delay that doesn't bog everything down.

I'm not sure if I've been spoiled by Chrome, but the stock browser on 4.0.4 feels pretty laggy.
Shame as quick controls and no address bar browsing is awesome.

Edit: Android OS battery bug is gone, now you get a proper breakdown of whats been using your powa.

Menelaus

Banned
Is it possible to run a different kernel without wiping? Might finally be time to test out some underclocking and see if I can get more juice out of this thing.

Husker86

I'm not sure if I've been spoiled by Chrome, but the stock browser on 4.0.4 feels pretty laggy.
Shame as quick controls and no address bar browsing is awesome.

Edit: Android OS battery bug is gone, now you get a proper breakdown of whats been using your powa.

Strange, I find it to be exactly the opposite which sucks because otherwise I really like Chrome. Scrolling is laggy for me unless I go back through what I've scrolled, then it's smooth.

Menelaus, you can flash kernels without wiping, I usually wipe Dalvik though.

Strange, I find it to be exactly the opposite which sucks because otherwise I really like Chrome. Scrolling is laggy for me unless I go back through what I've scrolled, then it's smooth.

Menelaus, you can flash kernels without wiping, I usually wipe Dalvik though.

Having re-enabled root and had a little play around the site which lags the most is the facebook mobile site. Scrolling is choppy and the page is slow to load. Other sites which contain a little more graphics and data are fine. Weird.

Same experience for me. Love Chrome's UI and features, but stock browser is much quicker for me (and also has quick controls).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
God dammit. I swear it was zero effort to flash ROMs on the Nexus One with ADB. Seems with the GNex, you have to root, push the file with ADB into cache and then flash. Think i'll just wait for the OTA

lol wut

Mafro

Are you on about 4.0.4? I flashed it with minimal effort without being rooted using the Toolkit on xda developers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Agree, Chrome can get pretty bogged down on pages that the stock browser chews through easily.

Random example: http://ik.duduf.com/

There's nothing complex about that page at all, but Chrome stutters like a mofo, stock browser no problem.

Chrome handled that page fine for me. Loaded it in two seconds.

DXPett1

see

Yeah it kinda sucks... To put new updates on the N1 was so easy. Just load the update on the SD card and power up and hold the vol. down at the same time and just choose apply update... Why can't the GN do that?

Are you on about 4.0.4? I flashed it with minimal effort without being rooted using the Toolkit on xda developers.

So you have unlocked the bootloader (which wipes the phone on the GNex) and running a custom recovery?

Mafro

So you have unlocked the bootloader (which wipes the phone on the GNex) and running a custom recovery?
I unlocked the bootloader a few months ago, and was on 4.0.2 without a custom recovery installed. What I basically did was download the newest version of the toolkit, install the USB drivers, used the option that boots your phone into CWM Recovery temporarily rather than permanently flashing it, then flashed the 4.0.4 update from Google.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
All you have to do is unlock the boot loader, root it, flash CWM, put a ROM n the SD partition, then flash away. It's the same as the N1.

Since getting 4.0.4 I can safely say that I've booted Chrome Browser to the kerb. Stock browser, with quick controls and full screen browsing is the new hotness.

Mobile FB site seems laggier than Chrome, loading and scrolling, but I can live with that. Everything else, including having flash support back, is just great.

4.0.5 wishlist - T9 dialler and an option to take pictures in widescreen resolution (and improved performance, I'm sure there's a few extra % they can squeeze out of it)

Circle T

Since getting 4.0.4 I can safely say that I've booted Chrome Browser to the kerb. Stock browser, with quick controls and full screen browsing is the new hotness.

Mobile FB site seems laggier than Chrome, loading and scrolling, but I can live with that. Everything else, including having flash support back, is just great.

4.0.5 wishlist - T9 dialler and an option to take pictures in widescreen resolution (and improved performance, I'm sure there's a few extra % they can squeeze out of it)

I'm using CM9, so this might be part of that ROM, but isn't this already possible on stock ICS?? Bring up the camera settings, and in the "Picture Size" section, click the "<" left arrow to adjust resolution. For example, I went from normal 5 megapixel 4:3 down to 4 megapixel 16:9 ratio here...

N3Uyv.png

kinggroin

Banned
This is without a doubt, the most boring Android device I've owned. Outside of the issue with 3rd party app support, this is the first time a phone on this OS just works. No tinkering or anything needed.

There's so little for me to complain about post 4.0.4. Such a flippin shame so few smartphone users aren't experiencing android this way...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This is without a doubt, the most boring Android device I've owned. Outside of the issue with 3rd party app support, this is the first time a phone on this OS just works. No tinkering or anything needed.

There's so little for me to complain about post 4.0.4. Such a flippin shame so few smartphone users aren't experiencing android this way...

Damned with faint praise.
KuGsj.gif

Bboy AJ

The OS isn't fast enough. It still lags when jumping from app to app. Additionally, the multitask window doesn't pop up fast enough. Yes, 4.0.4.

I had an Original G1 before switching to the GNex, talk about an exciting phone. What made me finally jump ship was one day it turned itself off and when I turned it back on it had deleted everything including the new rom I had just installed like a month before hand.

Mafro

So ever since updating to 4.0.4, my Galaxy Nexus never goes past 99% battery when charging. Is this normal? It never did that when I was on 4.0.2, always went to 100%.

I'm using CM9, so this might be part of that ROM, but isn't this already possible on stock ICS?? Bring up the camera settings, and in the "Picture Size" section, click the "<" left arrow to adjust resolution. For example, I went from normal 5 megapixel 4:3 down to 4 megapixel 16:9 ratio here...

N3Uyv.png

Must be a CM9 mod, no such options stock ICS.

Are you sure? I just asked a buddy with a stock Galaxy Nexus, and he said what I suggested worked. I think the camera in CM9 is just stock for now, so it should work.

Yes, just checked. I can change resolution, but not too a widescreen one (options are 5mp, 3mp, 1.3mp, VGA, qvga)

Circle T

Yes, just checked. I can change resolution, but not too a widescreen one (options are 5mp, 3mp, 1.3mp, VGA, qvga)

Oh, I see. I thought you were saying that the option to change wasn't there. I didn't ask him what resolutions were there. I stand corrected then. Apparently the CM9 camera does have some improvements over stock.

How's CM9 for the Nexus (LTE)?

Is there a preferred project someone can link me to from XDA?

I just use the main one. I installed it a few days ago, with the stock included kernel, and things have been fine for me....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1514333

kinggroin

Banned
The OS isn't fast enough. It still lags when jumping from app to app. Additionally, the multitask window doesn't pop up fast enough. Yes, 4.0.4.

A did say, "so little"

Anything can be faster, but the GN as is moves from app to app at speeds I fiind to be more than acceptable. If you want to see just how fast it CAN go, shut or shorten the transition animations. My iPad 3 takes about two seconds to reinitialize frozen apps, and that thing is a monster.

The multitasking button DOES need better memory caching so we can get an instant pop up on press. Still, its more than fast enough for 90% of usage cases (only let's me down if I'm navigating the phone at frantic speeds).

No actually, my only remaining gripes are the performance issues when the keyboard is present, and the shit stock battery life with the lte model. One of those can be fixed however.

Top Bottom