• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One year ago today, the Nintendo Switch was announced

It's done so much better than I had anticipated. I was there day 1, but I thought the gimmick wasn't that good. It's too expensive for a portable, too weak for a console. But then Nintendo launched what I think is their greatest software year in history. And in practice, the concept of really really nice. So I'm loving it.

2018 is the real test. After Xeno I think we're headed for a drought, and what's announced won't top Zelda or Mario not even close.

It's done so much better than I had anticipated. I was there day 1, but I thought the gimmick wasn't that good. It's too expensive for a portable, too weak for a console. But then Nintendo launched what I think is their greatest software year in history. And in practice, the concept of really really nice. So I'm loving it.

2018 is the real test. After Xeno I think we're headed for a drought, and what's announced won't top Zelda or Mario not even close.

Nintendo typically doesn't announce their full lineups until games are almost ready to launch.

I think Yoshi, Wolfenstein, Octopath Traveler, Lost Sphear + whatever else isn't too bad of a start, without having their quarterly direct to let us know more.

I was a big N fan on the Nintendo Wii era but that love dropped like a rock with the WiIU reveal because of how shit they did it.

When I saw the reveal of the switch I saw a world of possibilities and was one of the lucky ones to grab a preorder on amazon when they started.

Is still my most used console and handheld right now.

DMgST1BXkAA0jPd.jpg

Now that's how you handle a new system first year, and not like WiiU.

It's odd. Watching it back I don't really see it as a great reveal or anything. It served it's purpose though and showed what the system is about. However the Mario and Zelda footage was a very smart move.

It sold me on the idea however. It was the sales figures of the system itself that eventually convinced me to bite though.

Tahnit

Banned
They fact that they got a new zelda and Mario game in the first year is fucking nuts! But all the indie games being released is amazing as well. I never thought it would be my primary console for indies.

They are absolutely killing it and I don’t think another Nintendo console can come out without this concept.

There is no going back.

phanphare

Banned
You're implying that the first year of the Switch is going to beat the 10+ years worth of software available on the Wii U? Doubtful.

I'm implying that year 1 of the Switch will have pretty much matched the software output for the entire life span of the Wii U starting when it launched in Novemeber of 2012 less than 5 years ago

and I love my Wii U, it houses some of my GOATs

bionic77

I thought the reveal was well done and funny but not very convincing for me. I was more amused at the fake Switch and the JoyConBoyz fake Switch video than the actual reveal.

What sold me was Zelda.

Then once I actually got the system I was hooked. Can't go back to a regular console now.

mcw

I still remember watching the Easy Allies stream of the Switch reveal. They were completely speechless.

asagami_

Banned
I was pretty excited that day. And I'm still excited.

I hope buy a Switch next year, near the Fire Emblem Switch launch.

Griss

It was an utterly fantastic reveal. I was so confident in the machine. Then in the next direct (I think it was January?) they totally shook that confidence, but in the end the initial feeling that they had a hit on their hands was the right one.

Nintendo typically doesn't announce their full lineups until games are almost ready to launch.

I think Yoshi, Wolfenstein, Octopath Traveler, Lost Sphear + whatever else isn't too bad of a start, without having their quarterly direct to let us know more.

Zelda+Mario+Splatoon+Xeno+ARMS is a 10/10 software output year. I couldn't ask for more. The games you listed for 2018, while worthy of playing and buying for core gamers like us, for me don't even come close to the strength of this years lineup. I think a lot of gamers will see it the same way. If brand new Zelda and Mario and Splatoon won't sell them, nothing will. I expect Smash, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, Fire Emblem to all be really big titles, but at least 2 of those won't fall in to 2018 I think. They're relying on this years lineup to blast off Switch then 3rd parties and indies fill in behind while the big teams reload. It's working so far, but 2018 is the real test. I find it slightly troubling that I can go to amazon and buy one right now...

entremet

Y'all so terrible with predictions.

I didn't think it would be this successful, but you have dudes saying this would do worse than the Wii U. You lose all credibility from there. Wii U was a horrible and confusing concept and product. The Switch looked rather slick and compelling from jump street.

Davey Cakes

It was a very interesting time. Hype had built up so much, but I also think people were getting burnt out on speculation and rumors and fake leaks.

For Nintendo to put out something was just such a huge relief, and honestly, I think they had the marketing just about right from the outset. That "snap" of the logo coming together was PERFECT.

I'm quite happy that I'm getting my Switch with the Mario Odyssey bundle. 1 year and a little over a week after launch, just as the games library is really starting to take off. Couldn't have approached it with better timing, and right now I'm more excited than ever to get my hands on the little beast.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's doing far better than I anticipated it would, which is wonderful for the industry no matter how you slice it. I'm happy to say my predictions were made in error.

I'm even considering purchasing one sometime early next year, and I haven't gone near Nintendo hardware in a long while. I'd like to see more games for it which feature rich stories and sprawling worlds, but I think it's on the right track toward that as-is.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Y'all so terrible with predictions.

I didn't think it would be this successful, but you have dudes saying this would do worse than the Wii U. You lose all credibility from there. Wii U was a horrible and confusing concept and product. The Switch looked rather slick and compelling from jump street.

Worst case scenario was always going to be a contraction from the 3DS considering it's portability and singular development pipeline from Nintendo so something like 40-50 million. Wii u level wasn't ever likely but a slow start wans't out of the realm of possibility.

grimmiq

I've put a decent amount of hours into BoTW, but it's still the only game I've bought for it, looking forward to finally adding a 2nd game to my "collection" next week.

qko

I felt bad that Nintendo stole the spotlight from the RDR2 trailer because I loved RDR. The fact that a new console was coming out in March 2017 instead of a game in Spring 2018 simply made RDR2 an afterthought that day.

AdanVC

One year already?? Geez... Time is running scarely fast D:

I was extremely sick at that time, yet I was still hyped and watched the video the second it was uploaded to Youtube. I end up watching that trailer like 100 times after that, no joke. Still to this day, this reveal trailer manages to give me chills because of how well it was presented. Universes better than the shitty Wii U reveal trailer.

The shittiest thing here tho... is that I still don't have a Switch since I cannot afford it right now :'(((((( And with Mario Odyssey around the corner, I can't help but feel so miserable that I would not be able to play that game at launch :(

-shadow-

Its amazing how Nintendo went from 2006 with the terrific 2006 Wii marketing, to the bizarre 2011 WiiU marketing, back to the amazing Switch marketing in 2016. They have so many parallels by having a simple concept, easily explained without any ridiculous concepts or dubbed trailers needed.

Here's hoping they can keep the momentum going for the next few years, because this has been one amazing first year so far!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
That was the day Nintendo changed.

Thank god.

I don't understand, how did Nintendo change? They announced a platform with the usual set of gimmicks and announced a bunch of great software for it. That's more or less been Nintendo's M.O. for something like 20 years now.

The only difference is that folks are actually buying it this time around, like they did with the Wii. (But didn't with the Wii U.)

Seik

Banned
I remember the price got me a bit upset on the success of the console at first, I was planning to get one day one still. But I was hoping it wouldn't turn out as another failure like the Wii U.

Turns out it's a big success so far and I already bought 20+ games on the damn thing. :lol

phanphare

Banned
I don't understand, how did Nintendo change? They announced a platform with the usual set of gimmicks and announced a bunch of great software for it. That's more or less been Nintendo's M.O. for something like 20 years now.

The only difference is that folks are actually buying it this time around, like they did with the Wii. (But didn't with the Wii U.)

well their marketing was clearly changed for the better. that Switch video was concise and explained clearly what the system was all about. all visually too. compared with the Wii U's reveal that was a diametric shift. there was so much confusion around the Wii U because they just didn't have a clear and concise message.

next yeah they announced a lot of software but they actually released that software at a steady clip avoiding any major software droughts. the biggest drought was between Zelda and Mario Kart 8. compare that to how the Wii U and 3DS limped out of the gate and you can see some clear changes in strategy.

lastly semi-tied to their software they launched with a bonafide system seller. Wii U and 3DS lacked any single system selling software at launch.

The Switch reveal took me on a rollercoaster of excitement and disappointment that ended on a positive note.

I thought the console looked absolutely amazing in the initial reveal video. Full mainline Zelda and Mario on the go? Mario Kart with friends anywhere? Playing on the TV and in handheld? Amazing. I showed the video to so many friends and family.

Then the January press event kicked off with 1-2 Switch followed by ARMS, which had me thinking that Nintendo was stuck in the Wii era with all the focus on motion controls. That coupled with the uncertainty of Nintendo's future paid online multiplayer system scared me away from being a day-one buyer.

But then all those 10/10 reviews started coming out for Zelda BotW, and I was on the post-launch hype train like a bunch of others here on GAF. After weeks of constant searching, I ended up with a Switch and Zelda right before the end of the first month. No regrets. Can't wait to jump into Odyssey in a week.

Il never forget that I was un my AP Economics class when i\I finished my exam, took my phone and headphones out and watched that reveal in the classroom. I was overwhelmed with hype. I had lunch the next period and ran down to the cafeteria to discuss it with a friend. He was a naysayer, just like the rest of GAF. Sad!

It was such a great trailer. Really did a good job of showing the concept of the console and why it is appealing. It's especially great when compared to the trailer used to reveal the Wii U.

TheTeacher

Neo Member
I still remember the day as if it were yesterday. As a 27 year old, I hadn't been this excited for a console's launch since the Wii/PS3 generation. Second console I bought at launch (Wii being the first). I couldn't wrap my head around it. Was I going to be able to play Breath of the Wild on the go? Is that even possible?

Turns out it is! Had it since day one. Only problem I have with it is that I don't have enough time to play everything I'd like to.

The January reveal, although a tad disappointing, completely redeemed itself with that BotW trailer right at the end.

Also, the Switch is the best local multiplayer platform of the lot. Even just 8 months down the line we already have the best version of Mario Kart, an insanely well-balanced fighter in ARMS and a buttload of amazing indies.

The Switch is a success because it deserves it.

Thank you Nintendo.

Top Bottom