• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Solo

More like three months.

Unpopular opinion: an Obi-Wan movie in-between III and IV would be more useless and unnecessary than a Han Solo movie. People want it mainly for more Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan I guess.

NONE of these Star Wars Stories/prequels/movies squished between trilogies are good ideas so far. Like, you've got this endless universe to play with....why not create some fucking new characters and stories and explore new themes?

Instead it's just pandering to nostalgia so far. ANH prequel with Vader? Check. Young Han Solo? Check. Obi-Wan between trilogies? Seemingly just a matter of time until that box is checked too.

Surfinn

Maybe they can start establishing May as the month for side stories instead of mainline films?

But I don't get what difference this makes

NONE of these Star Wars Stories/prequels/movies squished between trilogies are good ideas so far. Like, you've got this endless universe to play with....why not create some fucking new characters and stories and explore new themes?

Instead it's just pandering to nostalgia so far. ANH prequel with Vader? Check. Young Han Solo? Check. Obi-Wan between trilogies? Seemingly just a matter of time until that box is checked too.

I do believe we will start getting brand new stories after the first few are pumped out. But yeah, I can understand some of the frustration here.

In all fairness, Rogue One was somewhat of a hybrid and that turned out good (I thought anyway). It had brand new characters and explored other stuff that wasn't just the Death Star (ie Jedha)

Solo a Star Wars title. That's an inspirational amazing title if I ever saw it. It's the first solo Star Wars spin-off film. Get it? (It's okay though, I guess).

Seems like people have made their mind up before they've seen any footage.

Welcome to the internet, where people overract if a film has some serious production woes / change in director. It's doomed.

Doesn't matter. There's potential to be made with these Star Wars film, and Disney will milk the brand for as long as they can. Rogue One was of course a success, they have no reason not to continue making more.

My friend has worked on this, naturally I cannot repeat what he said exactly but the term 'cash grab' was uttered and not in a positive way.

I mean, hasn't it finished shooting?

TLJ finished its principal photography in July, 2016, with a December 2017 release date.

Yeah, Rogue One was cutting it pretty close since they had the reshoots and stuff, but the principal photography of that movie ended a lot earlier than when they did the reshoots in July 2016.

All in all, yeah they can make it, but usually with effects driven movies, you want around a year of post production.

Fisty

My friend has worked on this, naturally I cannot repeat what he said exactly but the term 'cash grab' was uttered and not in a positive way.

Well, Disney spent a ton of money and the series is a marketing/licensing team's wet dream come true. I honestly believe selling to Disney was a final middle finger from Lucas after all the bullshit the fans put him through.

Han says goodbye to Lando at the end of the film, shaking his hand with a smile.

Han grins quite Disneyly, nodding to Lando in approval of their success in their recent marketable adventures. “I guess it was inevitable. It’s time for us to go our separate ways.”

“I guess that’s why they call you.. Solo.”

Music swells, Han smiles to the camera as if looking straight to both the audience and to the trailer’s editing team. In the background, Chewbacca is seen leaning against the Millenium Falcon. Chewbacca gives off his trademarked roar.

Han looks back to Chewbacca and the Falcon. “Well, I guess I won’t be so Solo after all.”

Pan out shot of Han walking to the Falcon, putting his arm over Chewbacca’s shoulder as they step into the Falcon. Lando is seen saluting the Falcon. The camera lingers for 4 seconds longer while the music swells again. Credits.

DonShula

Can’t wait for the first trailer to drop, followed by a bunch of “well that didn’t look so bad,” followed by one or two positive rumors snowballing into intense hype for a movie everyone is currently expecting to tank.

Always found Emilia Clarke to be an extremely poor actress. Otherwise, the cast is serviceable, certainly elevated by Harrelson and Newton.

Eh, I don't know about that. She's been written incredibly poorly, and particularly so since they finished up her AGOT Blood of the Dragon material. I frankly think that's mostly to blame for her often wooden performance. I look forward to seeing her role in this.

I honestly believe selling to Disney was a final middle finger from Lucas after all the bullshit the fans put him through.

giphy.gif

Well it must be true then!

Well, Disney spent a ton of money and the series is a marketing/licensing team's wet dream come true. I honestly believe selling to Disney was a final middle finger from Lucas after all the bullshit the fans put him through.

Yeah, he really got us! Two critically and commercially acclaimed movies in and he's just sitting back laughing at our misery.

Also, literally every blockbuster ever made is a "cash grab." This industry is a business, just like all others. Of course Lucasfilm is going to make movies of characters it knows audiences like. The hostility towards this film when we know next to nothing about it is so damn strange.

Surfinn

Except

That's what most of the fans wanted

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Lucas: Fuck you, fans!

*Disney cleans up the universe and releases two films that have been both critical and finacial successs*

Lucas: that backfired harder than the entire PT

Surfinn

*Disney cleans up the universe and releases two films that have been both critical and finacial successs*

If that's true

Looks like he still has the art of backfiring perfected

Will this be better or worse than Episode 1? Place your bets!

It's okay, the casting could have been better though.

I'm pretty confident no future SW movie will ever be as bad as EP1-3

Voidwolf

Han says goodbye to Lando at the end of the film, shaking his hand with a smile.

Han grins quite Disneyly, nodding to Lando in approval of their success in their recent marketable adventures. ”I guess it was inevitable. It's time for us to go our separate ways."

”I guess that's why they call you.. Solo."

Music swells, Han smiles to the camera as if looking straight to both the audience and to the trailer's editing team. In the background, Chewbacca is seen leaning against the Millenium Falcon. Chewbacca gives off his trademarked roar.

Han looks back to Chewbacca and the Falcon. ”Well, I guess I won't be so Solo after all."

Pan out shot of Han walking to the Falcon, putting his arm over Chewbacca's shoulder as they step into the Falcon. Lando is seen saluting the Falcon. The camera lingers for 4 seconds longer while the music swells again. Credits.

"C'mon, Chewie, I'll let you take the main controls this time. Just try not to fly.. so low.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Eh, I don't know about that. She's been written incredibly poorly, and particularly so since they finished up her AGOT Blood of the Dragon material. I frankly think that's mostly to blame for her often wooden performance. I look forward to seeing her role in this.

For the record, I haven't got around to watching the latest season of GOT, so maybe she's much better in that. But in terms of her film roles and past acting work on GOT, I just find her incredibly lacking as an actress.

Surfinn

For the record, I haven't got around to watching the latest season of GOT, so maybe she's much better in that. But in terms of her film roles and past acting work on GOT, I just find her incredibly lacking as an actress.

She is fucking awesome in it

SpaceWolf

Banned
You didn't exactly sell me the "eh" comment by only saying Clarke was bad.

The cast is fairly solid.

With the "Eh" comment, I was voicing my concern that the cast wasn't particularly noteworthy or standout in that particular regard, not asserting that every actor involved was actively Tommy Wiseu tier in terms of their thespian staying power.

She is fucking awesome in it

Blimey.

Experien

welcome to Disney

Blader

And who owns Lucasfilm? And who is making all the Star Wars movie decisions? And who stepped in to change direction of the movie and get a new director?

Kathleen Kennedy, the president of Lucasfilm, made these decisions. She hires the directors and she fires the directors. Bob Iger just wants the movies out by a certain date.

Blader

tbh, of everything I've read, the division that Iger seems most personally invested in managing is ESPN.

There's frankly no reason for Disney to micromanage Lucasfilm, Marvel, or Pixar because these are all already-successful companies!

TankUP

A whole thread of people trying to outdo each other on toxic negativity about a move they know literally nothing about.

Cool, I'm out. I prefer to judge films after I've watched them, so obviously I don't fit in here.

Surfinn

A whole thread of people trying to outdo each other on toxic negativity about a move they know literally nothing about.

Cool, I'm out. I prefer to judge films after I've watched them, so obviously I don't fit in here.

Star Wars brings it out in people

DeathyBoy

Banned
This is how I predict this will go...,

1) Online critics see the film and proclaim "It's the best Star Wars film since Empire.., "

2) Everyone else goes and sees the film and gives it a collective shrug of the shoulders.

3) Star Wars fans feel the critical backlash and begin lashing out at anyone and everyone online.

4) You thought Marvel vs DC was bad? That's nothing. Begun, the Star Wars vs Everyone flame wars have.

*Inception gong*

Except most people not on Gaf liked TFA. It's this forum that's full of people who don't know what a Mary Sue is.

Surfinn

This is how I predict this will go...,

1) Online critics see the film and proclaim "It's the best Star Wars film since Empire.., "

2) Everyone else goes and sees the film and gives it a collective shrug of the shoulders.

3) Star Wars fans feel the critical backlash and begin lashing out at anyone and everyone online.

4) You thought Marvel vs DC was bad? That's nothing. Begun, the Star Wars vs Everyone flame wars have.

*Inception gong*

Based on..

Fisty

Eventually Disney will have to make a movie without all the characters, iconography, and story structure that Lucas already gave us.

Top Bottom