• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

rc213

I didn't even think about the possibility of it being back ordered because it said in stock at the time. I went and checked the Samsung site and it's listed as backordered with no estimated date given.

Same here both were in stock when I ordered. Finally got someone on their phone support they pretty much refused to tell me it's backordered. She kept saying my order is in fulfillment status at warehouse waiting to be processed.

Suerte

My OP5 unexpectedly showed up this morning after getting a text from DHL yesterday saying it would arrive on Monday. Still playing around and getting everything set up, but really like it so far! (coming from a Nexus 6P)

Guys, I will some software help

I am trying to overlay speed/location info on the some video I shoot.

At first I thought of making a mechanism tripod thing to point a gopro camera to my runner watch. I can then do picture-in-picture overlay in Premiere.

Then I realize maybe I can make a video recording of a speed/runner app directly on an android device, maybe even do video record of google map for extra effect.

I know it's very easy on PC. Can you do it on Android? What's the best app and what kind of lag are we talking about?

kaiyo

It's pretty solid on my Z5. I usually have it memorize my thumb 2-3 times as if it's different fingers, though. The sensor is smaller than it is on some other phones because it's built into the power button.

I'd assume the XZ and XZs are the same or better, but I can't really say.
XZ is better than the Z5

Guys, I will some software help

I am trying to overlay speed/location info on the some video I shoot.

At first I thought of making a mechanism tripod thing to point a gopro camera to my runner watch. I can then do picture-in-picture overlay in Premiere.

Then I realize maybe I can make a video recording of a speed/runner app directly on an android device, maybe even do video record of google map for extra effect.

I know it's very easy on PC. Can you do it on Android? What's the best app and what kind of lag are we talking about?

You can use DU recorder to record your screen

OnePlus sent me an email with a $5 coupon off for the delay. I guess it's not bad, but $5 is nothing. They've also stopped putting the $5 codes in the box with phones.

Putosaure

I guess we won't have small flagships like the Compact brand from Sony right ?
My Z1c is getting older, and I could grab one of the last OP3T while there is still some new...

That's almost insulting. $5 is $5 I guess. They could've very easily just sent you nothing.

Yeah I don't know who $5 would please really. Their accessories are overpriced so they are still making a ton of money if you buy something like a case. They should give free cases to people.

A $5 coupon doesn't make sense when I can buy another phone and get $20 off an accessory with referral code. Then just sell phone at cost. Headphones could be a good option to basically get free with phone purchase though.

Blue Lou

I'm intending to buy a new Android phone. I currently have a Samsung S3 mini. The Samsung J3 and Huawei Honor 6x are within my budget for a replacement. What's the better choice?

Saiyan-Rox

My OP5 unexpectedly showed up this morning after getting a text from DHL yesterday saying it would arrive on Monday. Still playing around and getting everything set up, but really like it so far! (coming from a Nexus 6P)

It's really light isn't it?

I saw this $5 thing and yeah thats a shit voucher to give out especially the way they rose the price of the cases :/ luckily I used a referal code and got the carbon case for £4 which is was really worth but I can't help but want the sandstone.

rc213

Lenovo Tab 4 tablets up for Pre-order on Newegg/Amazon $129/$179

Waiting for the Plus models myself which add finger print reader, More ram, HD display and USB-C Fast charging.

8" Plus hopefully under $250 will finally get me to retire my Nexus 7.

Lenovo Tab 4 tablets up for Pre-order on Newegg/Amazon $129/$179

Waiting for the Plus models myself which add finger print reader, More ram, HD display and USB-C Fast charging.

8" Plus hopefully under $250 will finally get me to retire my Nexus 7.

Waiting for the Plus too. I'm ready to replace my S2. Although I love it I would like all my devices to be USB-C.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
http://www.androidauthority.com/pixel-2-specs-leak-782456/

Google’s ‘Taimen’ device is said to be the bigger of the two options,
supposedly sporting a much larger 5.99-inch display compared to last year’s Pixel XL, and with supposedly much smaller bezels, too. The source says this device will use a 1440p OLED panel from LG, and will utilize a Snapdragon 835 processor and 4GB of RAM. There will be a 128GB model available, however the source says it may not be the only option available to consumers. The glass panel on the back of the device is said to make a return, though with the bigger physical size of the device, the source says the glass will no longer encapsulate the fingerprint reader.
No dual-camera orientation is said to come to this handset, so don’t get your hopes up for incredible portraiture like we’ve seen in devices like the OnePlus 5.

‘Walleye’ will apparently be a much smaller device, returning to 4.97 inches and maintaining its FHD 1080p resolution, similar to the standard model Pixel of 2016. The source says that this model will look almost identical to the 5-inch Pixel device of yesteryear, but will take advantage of the objectively large bezels to include a set of front-firing speakers. While this is an incredibly welcome addition for many, the source says it includes these at the expense of a 3.5mm headphone jack. This is the specification I find hardest to believe, especially considering the Pixel commercial seen last year, which took a very blatant jab at the iPhone 7’s lack of the port. That being said, anything is possible, and Google very well may have considered it ok to remove the jack as a trade-off with those front-firing speakers.

Taimen:

5.99-inch 1440p OLED display
Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
Smaller Bezels
128GB Storage option
Glass/Metal Back
Headphone jack

Walleye:

4.97-inch 1080p FHD display
Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
64GB Storage option
Glass/Metal back (Like 2016 Pixel)
Stereo speakers
No headphone jack

https://www.xda-developers.com/source-pixel-2-walleye-and-taimen-specifications-revealed/

Stereo speakers being a trade off hurts. Guess we'll see

The walleye rumor sounds so god damn stupid that I firmly expect it to be true. If they both really are true the hardware is a damn mess at this point.

Good luck breaking even a million when they are going against the S8 and iPhone j8sus.

Taimen:

Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
Smaller Bezels
128GB Storage option
Glass/Metal Back
Headphone jack

Walleye:

Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
64GB Storage option
Stereo speakers
No headphone jack

https://www.xda-developers.com/source-pixel-2-walleye-and-taimen-specifications-revealed/

Nothing about the Taimen makes me interested in upgrading from my Pixel XL. Will there even be a Pixel 3 in 2018 at this point?

Taimen:

Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
Smaller Bezels
128GB Storage option
Glass/Metal Back
Headphone jack

Walleye:

Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
64GB Storage option
Stereo speakers
No headphone jack

What the...no front firing speakers on the Taimen? Lame as hell.

The marketing was horrible for average consumers. So many people think it is a Verizon only phone. To me it's just a really poor value.

Well I mean the marketing is horrible because what is there to market?

"Stock Android" means literally nothing to the average human being that has a smartphone. You might as well market your new car as "Just an engine and wheels, it's all you need!" and get the same lukewarm response.

It's a poor value because they are charging as much for a very bare-bones stock experience as Samsung charges for every bell and whistle they have thought up for the last 396 years. If I had a choice between less and more for the same price, why would I choose less?

Pixel will never be mainstream in much the same way Linux on the desktop won't ever be either.

reKon

Banned
Well I mean the marketing is horrible because what is there to market?

"Stock Android" means literally nothing to the average human being that has a smartphone. You might as well market your new car as "Just an engine and wheels, it's all you need!" and get the same lukewarm response.

It's a poor value because they are charging as much for a very bare-bones stock experience as Samsung charges for every bell and whistle they have thought up for the last 396 years. If I had a choice between less and more for the same price, why would I choose less?

Pixel will never be mainstream in much the same way Linux on the desktop won't ever be either.

Facts

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
We've argued this before thousands of times - back to the Galaxy Nexus days. The idea of a barebone smartphone is a poor one. Which is why nobody bought the HTC 7s and Galaxy's with stock Android. Remember those?

Still... it's nice to have the option. Right?

Quasar

The marketing was horrible for average consumers. So many people think it is a Verizon only phone. To me it's just a really poor value.

And the world ends at the US borders I guess.

That said for normal people there's no value in any smartphone above $200 or so. Even thats a bit pricey. Most people I know use sub $100 phones.

Jeffrey

yeah pretty much in the US, its either carrier installment plans for iphones and samsung, or buy some cheap stuff through carrier or unlocked.

Chinese companies tried to get into the US last year with some budget flagships at $400, but the lack of any news on anything for 2017, doesn't make it seem like they did that well.

Mindwipe

I guess we won't have small flagships like the Compact brand from Sony right ?
My Z1c is getting older, and I could grab one of the last OP3T while there is still some new...

Sony are making a proper flagship compact this year, they'll announce at IFA.

The Pixel 2 sounds like an utter train wreck. Google fixing those supply issues by making it as unappealing as possible.

WarAdept

So my partner is in India right now and this phone called the Oneplus5 has just released.

He said that people lined up in droves to get it and coming from someone who currently uses a Galaxy S6 Edge, is this phone worth it?

Taimen:

Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
Smaller Bezels
128GB Storage option
Glass/Metal Back
Headphone jack

Walleye:

Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
64GB Storage option
Stereo speakers
No headphone jack

what the.. this is trash, if true.

Man, where do I go after my Nexus 6P? I want no bezel.

ArchAngel

Phase 1) Rumors: Google is trash! Fuck them!
Phase 2) Leaks: Google is doomed! Ugly, expensive, bad! Doesn't have SD card!
Phase 3) Reveal: Wow, awesome!
Phase 4) Release+5month: Best phone evarrrrr, FU skinned Androidz!
Phase 5) Buy Galaxy S*, shit Google Phone!
Phase 6) Repeat

So it has begun. Every single year it's been the same. EVERY!

Jeffrey

So my partner is in India right now and this phone called the Oneplus5 has just released.

He said that people lined up in droves to get it and coming from someone who currently uses a Galaxy S6 Edge, is this phone worth it?

Yep it's a good phone. Doesn't have the sexyness factor of Samsung stuff though.

Phase 1) Rumors: Google is trash! Fuck them!
Phase 2) Leaks: Google is doomed! Ugly, expensive, bad! Doesn't have SD card!
Phase 3) Reveal: Wow, awesome!
Phase 4) Release+5month: Best phone evarrrrr, FU skinned Androidz!
Phase 5) Buy Galaxy S*, shit Google Phone!
Phase 6) Repeat

So it has begun. Every single year it's been the same. EVERY!

I don't think step 3-4 was a thing last year. Was always ugly and expensive lol.

Ty4on

Maybe Google just removed the headphone jack because HTC' old design didn't have one.

I don't think step 3-4 was a thing last year. Was always ugly and expensive lol.
There was always the "but it's the fastest phone" comment about how smooth it was.

------------

That LG AMOLED rumor is interesting. That can mean it's not pentile, but I'm not sure how good LG's brightness and efficiency is.

So apparently oneplus 5 doesn't even have 2.0 optical zoom. It's 1.6 and rest is digital zoom. Focus on cameras and don't even give a good camera.

CronoShot

Taimen:

Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
Smaller Bezels
128GB Storage option
Glass/Metal Back
Headphone jack

Walleye:

Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
64GB Storage option
Stereo speakers
No headphone jack

If Taimen is a taller aspect ratio, it's my next phone. I don't want an enormous phone, but something just slightly bigger than the S8 would be perfect.

It's a shame that the smaller Pixel 2 is getting gimped. One of the best things about the OG Pixels is that they are identical outside of screen size and battery.

Top Bottom