• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Any recommendations on whether these are too many days in specific cities?
I'm also left with 4 extra days and not sure whether Okinawa is worth it or to cut my trip to 16 days.

Also is it possible to climb Mt. Fuji in a day? I didn't want to book a tour for it but even so most of the tours I see only go to the 5th station, not to the top.

Thanks!

Looks good. Why not add 3 more days in Tokyo and 1 more in either Osaka or Kyoto instead of going to Okinawa?

How much high altitude mountain climbing experience do you have? It is possible to do in 1 day, but not for beginners. Best to stay overnight in a lodge to try to avoid altitude sickness.

Climbing tour here for example:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/CUL2J00101MKS/

Looks good. Why not add 3 more days in Tokyo and 1 more in either Osaka or Kyoto instead of going to Okinawa?

How much high altitude mountain climbing experience do you have? It is possible to do in 1 day, but not for beginners. Best to stay overnight in a lodge to try to avoid altitude sickness.

Climbing tour here for example:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/CUL2J00101MKS/

I'm not sure I was just thinking whether I could see more of the country rather than the cities.

I've gone up Vesuvius but Fuji is a big difference. I guess I could add another day to Tokyo (so they hold my bags) since I'll stay the night at Fuji.

Thanks for the info and any other suggestions are welcome!

I've gone up Vesuvius but Fuji is a big difference. I guess I could add another day to Tokyo (so they hold my bags) since I'll stay the night at Fuji.

Yeah, Vesuvius isn't tall enough to get serious altitude sickness. Remember to get some good shoes/boots and proper clothes and a jacket since it can get down to 0 degrees Celsius at the top. Average temperature at the top for July is around 5 degrees.

SalvaPot

I cut my thumb and I think its fractured too, maybe, with a ceramic plate that broke in half. Currently in Shinjuku station and there are no open clinics on sunday, hmm, options? It happened just before a bus trip and it didn't felt bad.

Already did first aid last night, alcohol, bandaid. I can move it, and bend it but it hurts a bit. I don' have insurance x), and I go back home in 3 days. I cut. My hand 12 hours ago.

Mendrox

I cut my thumb and I think its fractured too, maybe, with a ceramic plate that broke in half. Currently in Shinjuku station and there are no open clinics on sunday, hmm, options? It happened just before a bus trip and it didn't felt bad.

Already did first aid last night, alcohol, bandaid. I can move it, and bend it but it hurts a bit. I don' have insurance x), and I go back home in 3 days. I cut. My hand 12 hours ago.

No insurance and you travel???? What if something bigger happened, dude? Go to the doctor tomorrow then if you really cleaned it and it doesnt hurt too much. Watch your finger

SalvaPot

I'm ok. Bleeding stopped and I am able to move my finger more and more. I change my bandages and sanatize them every few hours and my aunt that is a pediatrist said it looked bruised but not broken, and if it was broken I'll be in unbeliable pain right now by just waving it.

Meanwhile I went to a Urawa, Saitama to visit the Rabbits Shrine and the UNIQLO there had the Nintendo shirts ar 990 yen, I picked 11 shirts for me and my store and got a free portable battery. Yay!

Edit: Oh yeah, about the insurance I thought I had because of my visa card buuut since I am over 24 and its a secondary account I don't apply, lol.

Darksol

I'm ok. Bleeding stopped and I am able to move my finger more and more. I change my bandages and sanatize them every few hours and my aunt that is a pediatrist said it looked bruised but not broken, and if it was broken I'll be in unbeliable pain right now by just waving it.

Meanwhile I went to a Urawa, Saitama to visit the Rabbits Shrine and the UNIQLO there had the Nintendo shirts ar 990 yen, I picked 11 shirts for me and my store and got a free portable battery. Yay!

Edit: Oh yeah, about the insurance I thought I had because of my visa card buuut since I am over 24 and its a secondary account I don't apply, lol.

Which shirts? I picked up a bunch myself today too. They look and fit pretty nicely despite how cheap it was. I got a canvas bag though, not a battery. UNIQLO is doing some sort of promotion because it's their birthday month I think.

SalvaPot

Which shirts? I picked up a bunch myself today too. They look and fit pretty nicely despite how cheap it was. I got a canvas bag though, not a battery. UNIQLO is doing some sort of promotion because it's their birthday month I think.
Mostly the mario ones, one samus, the last zelda shirt, pikachu. No boo shirts, sadly, and I got the magikarp one last week at another uniqlo, but I haven't seen them since.

kubus

I'm pretty pissed off at Uniqlo because I bought 7 of those Nintendo shirts last week at 1620 yen each :<

But at least I got all the designs and sizes I wanted. Went back on the day the sale started to grab some more but they only had Peach, the alphabet, grey Pikachu pattern and Mario hat designs left. Pikmin, Boo and Zelda were all gone. Men's section was picked clean as well, safe for the unpopular designs.

I have never seen the Splatoon shirt because even on the day they went on sale they were all gone by noon ._.

SalvaPot

I'm pretty pissed off at Uniqlo because I bought 7 of those Nintendo shirts last week at 1620 yen each :<

But at least I got all the designs and sizes I wanted. Went back on the day the sale started to grab some more but they only had Peach, the alphabet, grey Pikachu pattern and Mario hat designs left. Pikmin, Boo and Zelda were all gone. Men's section was picked clean as well, safe for the unpopular designs.

I have never seen the Splatoon shirt because even on the day they went on sale they were all gone by noon ._.
I just went to Nakano. They have several! Including Boo and Zelda in all sizes. Only one S size of Pikmin left. I got the last Mr Resetti shirt, too and my gf finally got ths boo one she wanted.

I saw the splatoon design on Okayama, but after that, nothing.

Zyzyxxz

Guys, does ramune exist? Checked convenience stores/vending machines in Osaka and Kyoto and I dont think I have seen one.

Drink something you haven't tried before! This is your chance to dive in the diverse selection of drinks at the convenience stores! Don't you want to sample 7-Eleven Tomato flavored water?!

dani_dc

I've seen some supermarkets selling Ramune, definitely worth checking those, more so than Conbinis.

I never buy clothes at full price in Uniqlo, they're bound to be on sale in a weekend sooner rather than later.

Now the question is if I buy the shirts now or wait for them to drop even lower...

Once I got lucky and managed to snatch some 8 MH t-shirts for 390 yen's a few months ago!

Well, after putting it off for years i finally booked my first trip to japan! Going to Tokyo for about 2 weeks in the start of November, and found a decent Airbnb to stay at. It even comes with portable WiFi, which is pretty cool. I'm so excited to explore Akihabara, and i can't wait to fill my camera up with so so many pictures. Gonna spend the next few months planning more stuff, since right now all i have planned is shopping and going to Mount Takao one day.

This thread has been pretty useful so far with all the information in the OP.

havokex

So I was reading up a little on the weather in Japan for September and it seems that although the rainy season has already passed, that September is prime Typhoon season? Anyone have experience travelling through Japan in September and could shed some light on how bad it is?

So I was reading up a little on the weather in Japan for September and it seems that although the rainy season has already passed, that September is prime Typhoon season? Anyone have experience travelling through Japan in September and could shed some light on how bad it is?

I went to Japan during TGS in 2015. It was very hot, little rain, and my allergies destroyed me. This was earlier in the month. Later September might be different.

havokex

I went to Japan during TGS in 2015. It was very hot, little rain, and my allergies destroyed me. This was earlier in the month. Later September might be different.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I should be in Japan for the first three weeks of September, so seems like it should work out fine for me!

I need to get back into the habbit of posting in here like I did in the lead up to my first trip :p

Has anyone been up to the Zao Fox village, trying to get my head around how exactly to get there from Tokyo, looks like it would be completely doable as a day trip while I'm.

Also trying to budget my cash out for spending money and all that, would 400,000 Yen be enough to get me through 4 weeks there, I'll have a 3 week rail pass and hotels paid off before that. But just for food, getting around on the non JR lines, Disneyland and various sightseeing, that should be more than enough right.

danowat

Banned
Depends on how much you splurge I guess, we had 212000 yen, for two people, for three weeks..........and we still had a reasonable amount left over at the end of the trip, we didn't think we were being particularly thrifty, although we didn't spunk 15000 yen on a meal like some do.

Has anyone been up to the Zao Fox village, trying to get my head around how exactly to get there from Tokyo, looks like it would be completely doable as a day trip while I'm.

There's some info on their site:
http://zao-fox-village.com/en

There's a bus going there every Tuesday and Friday, but you'll not be able to catch the bus if you're traveling all the way from Tokyo, so you'll need to take a taxi from Shiroishi-Za&#333; Station instead :p

Could possibly catch the bus on the way back though.

Depends on how much you splurge I guess, we had 212000 yen, for two people, for three weeks..........and we still had a reasonable amount left over at the end of the trip, we didn't think we were being particularly thrifty, although we didn't spunk 15000 yen on a meal like some do.
Looking at last time I was there for 17 days I went through about 360,000 yen on my own :/ I did buy some things that costed alot like a Virtual Boy and getting a 3DS and Vita modded for video capture which came to about 80,000 yen so I might need to be more frugal with what I buy and get. Don't think I'll be all in on retro game shopping this time and just more sightseeing and eating food. Going back to the Square Enix Cafe will hurt my wallet though ._.

There's some info on their site:
http://zao-fox-village.com/en

There's a bus going there every Tuesday and Friday, but you'll not be able to catch the bus if you're traveling all the way from Tokyo, so you'll need to take a taxi from Shiroishi-Za&#333; Station instead :p

Could possibly catch the bus on the way back though.
Yeah I checked the site, they do mention something about a shuttle bus that runs from Sendai station but you need to book ahead for that, thats what I'm finding trouble getting info on.

Mendrox

lol only got 30000 Yen for my 16 days and I still had 2000 Yen left. But I only ate local food, but did very much sightseeing. :D Also bought a One Punch Man figure.

We found both of those things remarkably cheap, especially considering how expensive Tokyo / Japan is supposed to be, but like I said, I am sure it's possible to spend a bomb though!
Food was the best, staying in Ikebukero and just being able to get a great feed for under 1000 yen was awesome.

I think I'll just need to be careful with the shopping and places I go, I think my big worries will be

Disneyland & Disney SEA (thats going to be over 40,000 yen)
Universal (more if I get the Fastpass thingo)
Trip down to Toba to the Aquarium (Aquariums are the cheapest)

and then just shopping, as I said I want to keep game shopping to a min this time but do have my eyes on a few Japanese Switch games and some DS/Game Boy stuff if I see what I'm after. Also the Pokemon stores and Square Enix Cafe.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I think getting a credit card to use for emergencies might be the best.

Yeah, I brought two new JDM watches, not out of our 212000 pot though......could have brought more.........
Its funny how quick the money goes when you don't pay attention, I'm looking at where I went and what I got and I'm like how the heck did it come to that much :/

havokex

Is it better to go with one of those tour groups or just do it on our own? If on our own, any tips on what we need to do beforehand? Anything to reserve or bring with us?

Probably slight safer going with a tour group.

If you do it on your own you should read all this and check the lists of stuff to bring:
https://www.fujimountainguides.com/climbing-mt-fuji.html

It could possibly go below freezing in September and start snowing, so make sure you take it seriously.

They also offer a mountain hut reservation service on that site:
https://www.fujimountainguides.com/mountain-hut-reservations.html

Violet_0

Banned
I've been googling pics of Okinawa again today, it just looks so all-around lovely. Rain forests and coral reefs for diving, exactly my kind of place. I'm set on going there in Summer next year (and including the usual Tokyo and Kyoto circle). How much would a flight be from Tokyo?

Dyle

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Japan for early April for 8 days hitting Tokyo, Osaka, and Hiroshima and would love some advice. I'll be spending 4 days in Tokyo, 2 in Osaka, and 1 in Hiroshima, with some daytrips yet to be determined. I'm going to be going alone, which I enjoyed a lot on previous trips to Europe, but I'm worried that Japan might be a little too much for me to handle by myself, particularly dealing with the isolation aspect of culture shock. I'm specifically looking at hostels that advertise English speaking staff, are there other resources available that could help me? I'm not worried about the navigation aspects of being in a foreign country, just the social ones.

I've been googling pics of Okinawa again today, it just looks so all-around lovely. Rain forests and coral reefs for diving, exactly my kind of place. I'm set on going there in Summer next year (and including the usual Tokyo and Kyoto circle). How much would a flight be from Tokyo?

Should pay max 10800 JPY as a foreigner one way, but you could get something as low as 4-5000 JPY if you get cheap tickets from discount airlines. :p

Of course, depending on what islands/places you want to visit, you might need to fly between the different islands in Okinawa.

Violet_0

Banned
Should pay max 10800 JPY as a foreigner one way, but you could get something as low as 4-5000 JPY if you get cheap tickets from discount airlines. :p

Of course, depending on what islands/places you want to visit, you might need to fly between the different islands in Okinawa.

much obliged!
I have like a year of planning left, I might drop in here occasionally to ask a question or two

e: wait, seriously? That's like Ryanair prices

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Japan for early April for 8 days hitting Tokyo, Osaka, and Hiroshima and would love some advice. I'll be spending 4 days in Tokyo, 2 in Osaka, and 1 in Hiroshima, with some daytrips yet to be determined. I'm going to be going alone, which I enjoyed a lot on previous trips to Europe, but I'm worried that Japan might be a little too much for me to handle by myself, particularly dealing with the isolation aspect of culture shock. I'm specifically looking at hostels that advertise English speaking staff, are there other resources available that could help me? I'm not worried about the navigation aspects of being in a foreign country, just the social ones.

What social aspects in particular worries you? Are you talking about norms, the language barrier or just the culture being different to yours in general? Neither of the three are any concern for worry.

Top Bottom