• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's back in stock at Miniature Market and CSI. I'm tempted to pick up two core sets so I could get 4 players playing.

So this is gonna be annoying but for 4p I would really recommend 3 cores so you can deckbuild well.You can do it with 2 but the fourth deck is really gonna be leftovers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
u just ruined my life

hahaha...i'm sure on bgg you'll find people who say 2 is totally fine and great, but you can pretty easily see how you feel about it by going on arkhamdb and trying to build four decks with two cores. three will be totally fine but the fourth is rough

So this is gonna be annoying but for 4p I would really recommend 3 cores so you can deckbuild well.You can do it with 2 but the fourth deck is really gonna be leftovers.

I would probably go 2 cores and 1 copy of Dunwich Legacy if you were starting a 4 player game and were willing to get 3 games. It's a tad cheaper and more importantly you get greater card diversity in each class meaning you don't need to splash outside your core class as much, reducing the amount of card conflict. I'm in a 4 player game through Dunwich and we all constructed characters with those starting games and we had very little card competition (multiple people wanting Peter Sylvestre is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head).

Noaloha

If you do find your group doing 4p with two cores, have the fourth deck (the one that's making do with leftovers by and large) be Wendy's. She actually doesn't necessarily mind drawing shit cards, since they fuel her special. Edit: thinking about it a little more, I think 2-core 4p might offer acceptable decks if the gang doesn't include Skids - he wants access to the blue weapons that Roland will also want. Daisy and Agnes can get away with mostly doubling on their strong yellow and purple respectively, then Wendy - without Skids - gets to take the green spike damage plus her own red fail-manipulation cards. Not great, but - in my head at least - the decks seem like they'd be stronger and more focused than those offered by 1-core 2p.

Ryuukan

I've only played the revised Dungeonquest twice so far. I'd like to play it again soon.
For kids? Maybe if they're 10 or over, I'm guessing. There are a lot of cards to be separated and set up, and the like. Then, kids might also not be keen on the 'oops, you instantly lose' aspect of the game. I'm going to say 'no' unless you're playing with older kids, or modified the rules to be more cooperative and less insta-death.

I'll hold off then, thanks for the tip

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the tutorial scenario for Road to Legend in Descent. I think I found my new addiction. The amount of content in the base box is pretty great.

I would love to paint the minis but then I think about having to store them properly so they don't get damaged, which would be a pain since I will likely be taking the game to friends houses often.

zulux21

cardhaus has a decent memorial day sale going on.

though some of the better stuff has already sold out.

I placed an order because I wanted clank at $37 so I found a few other things :p

fenners

Anybody seen the Scythe Metal coins in stock at a mainstream online store? Supposedly available again in small numbers, but I haven't seen 'em yet.

XShagrath

I would love to paint the minis but then I think about having to store them properly so they don't get damaged, which would be a pain since I will likely be taking the game to friends houses often.

There are lots of portable storage solutions out there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH8P1E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is what I use for Mansions of Madness. I've got all the content, and still have room to grow. Now, there's a lot more available for Descent, so if you went all in, this probably wouldn't work. But it could get you started.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There are lots of portable storage solutions out there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH8P1E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is what I use for Mansions of Madness. I've got all the content, and still have room to grow. Now, there's a lot more available for Descent, so if you went all in, this probably wouldn't work. But it could get you started.

That's pretty cool, thanks love. BAre your minis painted? Is it necessary to line the Plano with foam or anything?

It will probably be a while before I can get all the Descent content. It will be a slow build.

XShagrath

That's pretty cool, thanks love. BAre your minis painted? Is it necessary to line the Plano with foam or anything?
I've probably got about 75% of them painted, and need to base them. The supplied bases are absolutely horrendous! I've kinda hit a lull in my painting, which is a shame. I just recently picked up an airbrush, but haven't really found the time to get in much practice with it. I won't be surprised if I end up painting the rest with the airbursh, and decide to go back and redo all of the ones I handpainted because they're not up to par.

You shouldn't need to line it with foam or anything. Painted minis aren't as fragile as people tend to think. If you put a coat of varnish over the top of them, you won't have any problems. Even if you don't, they'll probably be fine as long as you don't purposely try to get the paint off.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I've probably got about 75% of them painted, and need to base them. The supplied bases are absolutely horrendous! I've kinda hit a lull in my painting, which is a shame. I just recently picked up an airbrush, but haven't really found the time to get in much practice with it. I won't be surprised if I end up painting the rest with the airbursh, and decide to go back and redo all of the ones I handpainted because they're not up to par.

You shouldn't need to line it with foam or anything. Painted minis aren't as fragile as people tend to think. If you put a coat of varnish over the top of them, you won't have any problems. Even if you don't, they'll probably be fine as long as you don't purposely try to get the paint off.

Thanks. I give them a coat of varnish. With my mansions monsters I have stated rebasing them. Almost have them all done, I've thankfully have had help painting them from a friend. I get into lulls as well.

zulux21

Some splotter games hugely discounted.

personally I got

- 1x Clank!, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $37.99

- 1x Council of Verona, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $6.99

- 1x Hanamikoji, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $10.99

- 1x Cthulhu's Vault, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $12.99

- 1x Covalence: A Molecule Building Game, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $11.99

- 1x Saltlands, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $25.99

- 1x Beyond Baker Street, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $22.99

EYEL1NER

I got a good haul from the CardHaus sale today. I picked up:
Scythe
Scythe: Invaders from Afar
Scythe Promo Pack 3
Star Wars Armada: Imperial Light Cruiser
Clank!
Pandemic Iberia
Ice Cool (not part of the sale but I added it to hit free shipping prior to deciding to get Pandemic Iberia)

I picked nothing on sale I think.

All expansions for concordia
Hansa Teutonica and all expansions
Lorenzo il magnifico
Yokohama
Merkator

The great zimbabwe and indonesia were really tempting though

So I played my first three games of Terraforming Mars recently.
The first game (five players, mostly new) I went Big Energy then was dealt no way to spend my energy except a few city cards that needed to reduce energy production to be built. To make matters worse two other players starting going into heat and the temperature rose quickly, meaning I had nothing to do with all my left over heat. Meanwhile another player goes Big Greenery and runs away with the game. I made a note that Greeneries were huge, what with often being worth three of more points each, while Heat and Energy were much worse off since there was nothing to do with them once the temp maxed out unless you have the right cards.
Second game (four players, one new) I go for a more balanced strat with a heavier focus on plants and win with a good lead.
Third game (three players, none new) was the most balanced by far. Every player put a ton into cities and greeneries. We managed to fill every non-reserved space on the board and the scores were a good 20-30 points higher than the previous games.
I feel like cards that trigger off cities getting built are overpowered early game. The Pets can can get you 6 or more points for fewer than 20 Space Dollars and it's uncounterable.
Not sure why there's an extra greenery placement round at the end of the game. Like they thought greeneries were underpowered? They were the single largest source of points in every game I played and I don't see that changing for future games.
I still liked the game, thought. Will play again.

So I finally have gotten off my kiddie feet in LotR LCG and tried playing something beyond the core set mirkwood quest. Started on the the river one... Fuck man right out the gate the starting troll is like a giant brick wall >_<

I'm running a tactics / leadership deck, but am now heavily considering a leadership / willpower deck. I now really am itching for more cards, but am having a hard time finding the ones I want still in print.. primarily the heirs of numenor and its subsequent adventure packs.

EDIT: where does everyone buy their games from? I started buying from CoolStuffInc since they have a store not far from where I live, but what other affordable places should I buy from?

zulux21

How good is Clank! when compared to other deck builders like DC and Alien: Legendary Encounter?

I'll let you know in a week or two.

but I have heard a ton of good things about it.

I have to believe it's at least better than the DC deck builder because that one isn't that great as it is :p

I mean it's a decent intro to deck builders, but not great overall.

Karkador

Banned
EDIT: where does everyone buy their games from? I started buying from CoolStuffInc since they have a store not far from where I live, but what other affordable places should I buy from?

I'm gonna guess if you're doing the free pickup at a coolstuff store, you're probably getting the best deal possible right now.

zulux21

I buy from
coolstuffinc
funagain games
cardhaus
and amazon.

amazon is rarely the cheapest in general but it doesn't require a shipping threshold of $100+ to get free shipping.

coolstuffinc used to be my go to for a lot of board game buys but they have really cut back on games on sale recently. Other sites have been doing a lot more sales of interest.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I buy from
coolstuffinc
funagain games
cardhaus
and amazon.

amazon is rarely the cheapest in general but it doesn't require a shipping threshold of $100+ to get free shipping.

coolstuffinc used to be my go to for a lot of board game buys but they have really cut back on games on sale recently. Other sites have been doing a lot more sales of interest.

where does coolstuff standard pricing stand? b/c they never really had good sales but usually near the best everyday prices. now that i'm so much into star wars destiny and arkham lcg, i've actually been buying more stuff at my lgs since i just buy less frequently.

zulux21

where does coolstuff standard pricing stand? b/c they never really had good sales but usually near the best everyday prices. now that i'm so much into star wars destiny and arkham lcg, i've actually been buying more stuff at my lgs since i just buy less frequently.

coolstuf tends to have solid every day prices, plus their customer discounts aren't bad.

I think if I am buying stuff at every day prices CSI is still my go to, but most of my shopping at CSI anymore is see something I want go on sale, and then fill it in with games on my wishlist that are at decent prices.

XShagrath

I'm in the same boat. I'm about 10 minutes from their Maitland store. I'll occasionally order stuff from Amazon if there's a good price, and sometimes also go in on an order with a friend at places such as Gamenerdz to share on shipping, but CSI is my go-to source.

I've never felt like it was worth it to put together $100-150 worth of stuff to get free shipping at MiniatureMarket, Cardhaus, etc. I'll usually just place an order and grab one or two things when they release. My orders rarely ever exceed $100, unless I'm ordering stuff for a friend who wants to use my customer rewards discount.

EYEL1NER

Anybody seen the Scythe Metal coins in stock at a mainstream online store? Supposedly available again in small numbers, but I haven't seen 'em yet.
In addition to MeepleSource, TopShelfGamer also has them in stock (but not the $2 or $50 coins).
https://www.topshelfgamer.com/products/metal-coins-for-scythe-set-of-80
I ordered a set earlier, along with the promo dials and the board extension. I went with them because they had a set of Zen Bins for Star Wars Rebellion that I also ordered. Shipping was 2-day priority for like $9 for me.

fenners

In addition to MeepleSource, TopShelfGamer also has them in stock (but not the $2 or $50 coins).
https://www.topshelfgamer.com/products/metal-coins-for-scythe-set-of-80
I ordered a set earlier, along with the promo dials and the board extension. I went with them because they had a set of Zen Bins for Star Wars Rebellion that I also ordered. Shipping was 2-day priority for like $9 for me.

Yeah... Those were the two places I was trying to avoid, so I could get some games along with them ;)

Oh well. Ordered the coins + factory promo cards ;)

How good is Clank! when compared to other deck builders like DC and Alien: Legendary Encounter?
It's a good deckbuilding and as far as competitive gaming it's way better than DC. I like the push your luck element and the tension after someone ran out of the dungeon and trigger the countdown. There are also certain things I don't enjoy and some cards can be a tad too powerful. It's not the game I seek out but if someone ask me to play I would not turn it down.

fenners

It's a good deckbuilding and as far as competitive gaming it's way better than DC. I like the push your luck element and the tension after someone ran out of the dungeon and trigger the countdown. There are so. Etching I don't enjoy and some cards can be a tad too powerful. It's not the game I seek out but if someone ask me to play I would not turn it down.

Much the same feeling here. I didn't mind my play of it, I'd play it again, but the player elimination left a bit of a bitter taste. It does a good job of push-your-luck though.

EYEL1NER

Yeah... Those were the two places I was trying to avoid, so I could get some games along with them ;)

Oh well. Ordered the coins + factory promo cards ;)
I would have preferred to get the coins and board expansion with some games from MM/CSI/CH but odds are if the coins were in stock and ready for me to order, the board expansion wouldn't be. Or vice versa. Or an OLGS would finally get the coins in but then I'd go back to MeepleSoure and find that the board was OOS again. So I figured I'd get them now, especially with shipping being so cheap.

I'm gonna guess if you're doing the free pickup at a coolstuff store, you're probably getting the best deal possible right now.

Yeah I'm near the Hollywood one so it's great for the pickup shipping.

I buy from
coolstuffinc
funagain games
cardhaus
and amazon.

I'll check those out. Most of sets I want CSI doesn't carry anymore or is sold out of so these other options are something I'm def interested in.

I buy from
coolstuffinc
funagain games
cardhaus
and amazon.

That's my problem, even if Amazon isn't the cheapest up front after shipping from other places it evens out.

XShagrath

I'm running a tactics / leadership deck, but am now heavily considering a leadership / willpower deck. I now really am itching for more cards, but am having a hard time finding the ones I want still in print.. primarily the heirs of numenor and its subsequent adventure packs.

It's not that the packs are out of print, but are between printings. If you take a look at Fantasy Flight's upcoming page, you'll see quite a few packs and deluxe sets are listed as "on the boat," which means they should be showing up in stores in about a month or so.

Cerity

Got around to playing Viticulture , love, love it. The theme and mechanics have melded together so well. The essential edition box itself looks and feels amazing too. Only downside is that the mama/papa & visitor cards are so obviously kickstarter patrons.

Also picked up Mysterium, it's easily gone down as one of the favourites. Definitely going to start using it to introduce people to the hobby. Dracula: The Gay Musical is now a meme within my main gaming group thanks to this game. The connections people draw between visions and the cards on the table to the dismay of the ghost is amazing and just ripe for those situations where you end up talking about the game hours after it's finished.

It's not that the packs are out of print, but are between printings. If you take a look at Fantasy Flight's upcoming page, you'll see quite a few packs and deluxe sets are listed as "on the boat," which means they should be showing up in stores in about a month or so.

Awesome! This helps alot especially since I'm roughly 5 years late on the LotR LCG bandwagon.

Cool, I used to go there when I lived in the area. The big monthly meetups are great.

Yeah I'm prob not as close as you were, but I took public transit there from where I live and it wasn't that bad at all. My first time there was roughly a week or so ago picking up my LotR core set.

The facilities are way nicer than most gaming stores but I do kinda wish it was less grey :p

Much the same feeling here. I didn't mind my play of it, I'd play it again, but the player elimination left a bit of a bitter taste. It does a good job of push-your-luck though.

Player elimination is always a big turn off for a lot of people and in this case I understand that it help to add the tension otherwise there it would mute the risk / reward thing. My problem is the game allow someone to bum rush and this is my in-law favorite thing to do and it just sort of turn the game off for me. I read they are fixing some of the card (like magic carpet) and the new expansion board it's harder to run in and run out.

Blizzard

Banned
Phew, that was close. I browsed a local game store and almost bought Pax Pamir from the small box and promise of intricate strategy.

Then I realized there's apparently no official solo mode, and the chances of getting anyone to sit through the game with me are quite low.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I gotta say Arkham LCG is an absolutely insane phenomenon. I'm sure it's nowhere near the level of all the Star Wars stuff, but like six of the last seven times I've gone to game stores (mostly different ones) there's been at least one if not two groups unwrapping or setting up Arkham. To the point where it's almost comedy level. Like I was at a store yesterday morning and there were just three of us there for Destiny, and the only other person was unwrapping Arkham. So well deserved and I'm hoping it meant even more investment in great art etc. for the game. I wonder if FFG would ever consider doing theme nights with kits and stuff where people could show up with groups and get promo materials and maybe even a little adventure for ten bucks per group or whatever (sort of like they do for their competitive stuff). It really seems to be a game that brings people to LGS.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta say Arkham LCG is an absolutely insane phenomenon. I'm sure it's nowhere near the level of all the Star Wars stuff, but like six of the last seven times I've gone to game stores (mostly different ones) there's been at least one if not two groups unwrapping or setting up Arkham. To the point where it's almost comedy level. Like I was at a store yesterday morning and there were just three of us there for Destiny, and the only other person was unwrapping Arkham. So well deserved and I'm hoping it meant even more investment in great art etc. for the game. I wonder if FFG would ever consider doing theme nights with kits and stuff where people could show up with groups and get promo materials and maybe even a little adventure for ten bucks per group or whatever (sort of like they do for their competitive stuff). It really seems to be a game that brings people to LGS.

Yeah it's great to see it doing so well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So besides for the theme what makes Arkham LCG so great?

Theme is actually not even close to the best part (and I like Arkham Files stuff). Great mechanics and a fulfilling campaign combined with really interesting deckbuilding and team choices (not just initially, but as you progress). It nails what people have been looking for from Arkham games for over a decade now -- an actually cohesive story, combined with the usual quality design. Eldritch, Elder Sign, even Arkham Horror (for its age at least) have always had good mechanics, but the "story" in this game is just a mishmash of random pieces more than anything, and Arkham LCG really addresses that, which also introducing an overaraching campaign that none of those games had.

It's kind of a co-op gamer's dream unless you really hate the theme or your group can't handle 2.5+ weight. I really enjoyed my playthrough of Pandemic: Legacy, but for what I'm looking for ALCG does co-op campaign way better.

SUSD hits the nail on the head as usual: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/review-arkham-horror-the-card-game/

There's like a billion reviews too but this one's pretty comprehensive: http://www.cardboardquest.co.za/review/arkham-horror-card-game-review/

Emarv

Is Arkham best with 3-4 people or would 2 people be enough? One reason why Pandemic Legacy worked for me was it was pretty easy to play with just me and my wife. Would love if Arkham worked well with two people.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is Arkham best with 3-4 people or would 2 people be enough? One reason why Pandemic Legacy worked for me was it was pretty easy to play with just me and my wife. Would love if Arkham worked well with two people.

Works great with two people.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
We played through the entire core campaign of arkham today with the werewolf side story added. Lost every scenario but it was a great time. Tried Skids and the reporter, forgot his name. Some stuff that happened in the first scenario really came back and haunted the shit out of us and the werewolf scenario was just nuts. We were chasing him the entire time never able to catch up with it. I wouldn't mind playing it again and actually can't wait to try and actually beat it this time.

Top Bottom