• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Games: what does this thing have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm just going to leave one comment; the content of the thread seems intended to introduce people who already love their 3DS to obscure classics they may have missed, while the premise of the thread seems intended to introduce people who are skeptical of the 3DS to the top shelf stuff they claim it doesn't have.

Because these two things are at odds, you are going to fail in your premise. People who are skeptical of the 3DS will enter the thread, see stuff like Virus XX and even Samurai Warriors Chronicles, and say "wow, those look like piles of shit". Meanwhile, I don't believe the 3DS has a deep enough library of hidden gems to need to educate people who are already active fans of the system--so if you did mean to aim at fans who are looking for the diamond in the rough, well, the thread is premature.

The DS thread with all the games worked so well because everyone already knew the DS had great games, but almost no one actually knew how many it had, so the thread's purpose and content were very aligned. The thread was curated by ethelred, who repeatedly beat back suggestions to add marginal titles just because someone out there liked them. I might not have liked all of the titles on the list personally, but they all justified their inclusion through critical or GAF reception as an aggregate. And pretty much everyone who entered the thread found something they didn't know about and found interesting.

By all means continue the thread and use whatever guidelines you want to decide what goes in the OP. This is just my immediate reaction.

Are these games actually, well, confirmed to be good?

I've heard mixed to negative things about: Samurai Warriors Chronicles, Senran Kagura, Doctor Lautrec, Ridge Racer 3D, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Steel Diver, Cubic Ninja. I've heard nothing at all about the 3DS port of Sonic Generations, Gundam 3D, Virus Shooter XX, Pokemon Rumble Blast.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm just going to leave one comment; the content of the thread seems intended to introduce people who already love their 3DS to obscure classics they may have missed, while the premise of the thread seems intended to introduce people who are skeptical of the 3DS to the top shelf stuff they claim it doesn't have.

Because these two things are at odds, you are going to fail in your premise. People who are skeptical of the 3DS will enter the thread, see stuff like Virus XX and even Samurai Warriors Chronicles, and say "wow, those look like piles of shit". Meanwhile, I don't believe the 3DS has a deep enough library of hidden gems to need to educate people who are already active fans of the system--so if you did mean to aim at fans who are looking for the diamond in the rough, well, the thread is premature.

The DS thread with all the games worked so well because everyone already knew the DS had great games, but almost no one actually knew how many it had, so the thread's purpose and content were very aligned. The thread was curated by ethelred, who repeatedly beat back suggestions to add marginal titles just because someone out there liked them. I might not have liked all of the titles on the list personally, but they all justified their inclusion through critical or GAF reception as an aggregate. And pretty much everyone who entered the thread found something they didn't know about and found interesting.

By all means continue the thread and use whatever guidelines you want to decide what goes in the OP. This is just my immediate reaction.

I've heard mixed to negative things about: Samurai Warriors Chronicles, Senran Kagura, Doctor Lautrec, Ridge Racer 3D, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Steel Diver, Cubic Ninja. I've heard nothing at all about the 3DS port of Sonic Generations, Gundam 3D, Virus Shooter XX, Pokemon Rumble Blast.

This was the exact thought I had, and I'd actually been trying to work out how to word it, because I'm in the boat where I only own some titles (zelda, street fighter, res evil + 1 or 2 others) and was looking for the big main bad boys.. but was seeing these titles i've never heard of.. and being confused as to if there was nothing... i dont know.. ive allso drank alot tonight.. .but I just wanted to say I actually really enjoyed your posts, and it is one of the best posts i've readi n a while so you can have a cookie

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay I got the Zelda Unit just this week (I made a thread about trying to get one earlier) on Monday, and that's the only game I have. I'm going to grab Mario Kart this weekend. Only reason I didn't is I bought the system at GS because they were the only place I found with the bundle left, and I didn't want to buy other crap there. I've been busy with family, friends, and my gf all week though (as well as Portal 2) so I just haven't gotten much playtime in yet.

So what do you think about my 3ds plan of attack GAF? I have OOT + 4 Swords, and am getting Mario Kart. I figure after I beat OOT as well as play a bunch of Kart that Mario 3d Land would be top of the list. Outside of that I'm really looking forward to the US release of Tales in Feb. as I like the series. The 3ds port is a worthy one right?

Outside of that what else should I be doing? My Nephew just got a 3ds in Nov for his birthday so we can share games. He has Pilotwings, Monkeyball, and Lego Starwars. (Has Kart too, but I'm getting my own copy). Anything else that is a must have that I missed? I know people liked Street Fighter and Ghost Recon at launch, and DOA fans liked that as well when it hit over the summer. I sort of feel like especially for the fighters that their time has passed? Am I crazy?

SF64 is semi intruging as well, but not at $40. The $40 thing in general is sort of a block for me going back to older games. If some solid games are cheap and worth it though I might take the plunge. I'm a big Kart fan though so that's a must even at $40. Yet I might be convinced to wait out Mario 3d for a bit if there are some cheaper worthy titles to go play through 1st.

Thank you for your feedback everyone. As I said it's a work in progress.

I'm thinking of adding a category where I recommend you if it's worth it. Alot of the games I put up there I got for half price or less.

I think I might start saying if you should buy it at full price or wait for a sale, what do you think?

I plan to have links to OT's for the games and thumbnail sized images that you can click to expand. The problem is trying to find screenshots in their native resolution.

Anyways I have to work all day and will update more tonight and during the weekend. If anyone knows where to get proper screenshots PM me.

Sqorgar

Banned
Don't think I've seen any negative comments about Samurai Warriors Chronicles. Mostly been positive, both from Musou fans and first time players.

Boney

Banned
You should post links to the gaf threads of the games and reviews as well.

I really think these kinda threads need to be a few years into the lifetime so they can blossom.

tzare

bought it for MK, as i am a big fan of the franchise. Will probably buy RE in January but that's it. Nothing more appeals to me unless they announce Advance Wars. The same happened with DS though, so i am okay with spending 140€ on the device for just 2-3 games.
The HW is not as good as should be, lack of 2nd analog makes it useless for a variety of genres. I guess people who like DS will enjoy this one as much.

Emitan

Wait... WHAT? How did that happen? When?

3DS is the new GameCube confirmed? I'm so happy ;_;
I've probably spent hundreds of hours on the N64 and Gameboy Color ones. Never tried the GBA or Gamecube versions.

bought it for MK, as i am a big fan of the franchise. Will probably buy RE in January but that's it. Nothing more appeals to me unless they announce Advance Wars. The same happened with DS though, so i am okay with spending 140€ on the device for just 2-3 games.

How the heck does someone only find 3 games appealing on the DS and have a NeoGAF account?

tzare

I've probably spent hundreds of hours on the N64 and Gameboy Color ones. Never tried the GBA or Gamecube versions.

How the heck does someone only find 3 games appealing on the DS and have a NeoGAF account?

well there are a lot of peple who are gaffers and do not own a ps3 or a 360. not my fault.

-KRS-

well there are a lot of peple who are gaffers and do not own a ps3 or a 360. not my fault.

Isn't that all the more reason to get more DS games though? :p
I don't have a PS3 nor a 360, but I do have around 20 DS games that I bought over the course of say 4 years. That's not THAT many games really, and all of them are quite good. And still there are games that I kind of want for the system.

I hope the 3DS can give me at least that. And so far, I'm one quarter of the way there!

edit: @creid: well I suppose that's a fair point. carry on then.

Don't think I've seen any negative comments about Samurai Warriors Chronicles. Mostly been positive, both from Musou fans and first time players.

This is why I think a thread like this is worth it. We can talk about the games like this without bumping their OT's.

In fact, I was wondering if I should get Chronicles because I have never played a Dynasty Warriors style game before. Right now I'm playing Devil Survivor Overclocked but after that, I may have an open time slot for that or Ace Combat.

Only games that interest me in that list are Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land, and Mario Tennis (not in the list but someone mentioned it). Everything else honestly looks terrible to me.

I picked up Samurai Warriors for $12, and it was worth every penny. I sunk a shitton of time into it. Great mindless fun with tons of content and a laughable draw distance at times. Still, worth it for the price.

All in all, $40 for many of the games listed is too much. This includes Pilotwings, which has 4-5 hours of gameplay. However, for $5-12, even Pilotwings is worth owning.

In short, new 3DS owners are lucky. Launch games are dropping in price, and they're worth checking out at lower prices.

Sqorgar

Banned
In fact, I was wondering if I should get Chronicles because I have never played a Dynasty Warriors style game before.
Well, it's dirt cheap so what do you have to lose.

If you've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, it's like a cross between a beat'em up and a real time strategy game. There is a giant field with objectives to take over, like closing reinforcement gates or conquering castles, but you control a single character and beat the living crap out of everything to do so.

SWC is a little different in that you have four officers available to you at a time, and can switch between them instantly. You can give them destinations and they'll move around and take objectives even when you aren't controlling them. The first time you play a mission, you have to play a set four characters, but on repeated plays, you can bring in any character that you have unlocked.

SWC has a few minor problems though. To unlock characters to play in other missions, you need to raise your affinity with them - usually by playing their story mission a couple times and answering a question afterwards. That and the annoying crafting system mean that if you want to unlock and max out all characters and their weapons, there will be a lot of grinding. But it's not that bad in practice, since you can work on leveling up four characters simultaneously in a level.

Everyone needs to buy Nano Assault and Ace Combat.
Two amazing games that provide hours of fun and are rock solid in pretty much every category.

Screens of Ace Combat:

ace_combat_3d_09.jpg
ace_combat_3d_10.jpg

Also, this topic should link back to the OTs of the games.

Nano Assault
Ace Combat

Ace Combat 3DS is so fucking good.
Its my first one (thanks for recommending GAF) and im having a blast.
And I nominate it for best sound in the whole system (the explosions, the planes flying and the amazing music). The music is one of the best parts of the game, so epic.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, 20 3DS games? I thought I had a lot of 3DS titles already (7 of them).

There's still a lot I want to get eventually, like Sonic Generations and Cave Story 3D.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't even see the 'has no games' comment anymore...

Thread is odd, and Stump already posted my thoughs. (again!)

tzare

Isn't that all the more reason to get more DS games though? :p
I don't have a PS3 nor a 360, but I do have around 20 DS games that I bought over the course of say 4 years. That's not THAT many games really, and all of them are quite good. And still there are games that I kind of want for the system.

I hope the 3DS can give me at least that. And so far, I'm one quarter of the way there!

edit: @creid: well I suppose that's a fair point. carry on then.

So you shoudn't have a gaf account either :p

As creid said, i am not a superfan of japanese games, at least the ones that DS has. I like arcade games so psp fits my tastes better, i have more games on it, not many but a few more. I guess 3DS could handle better that DS those kind of games, but i doubt sega would release Virtua Tennis on 3ds for example. SSFIV is a good example of what i would like to see on a portable system, like 3ds or vita

usmanusb

Is there any fps game coming? Hoping to get COD and metroid prime...
I hope to get more announcements for 3ds... any guess guys??

Tunavi

Banned
I hope to get more announcements for 3ds... any guess guys??
I would take the ambassador games as a major hint for future releases.

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - Ocarina of Time 3D
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 - Super Mario Land 3D
Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Mario Kart 7
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Fire Emblem Awakening

That leaves us with these questionable titles:
Metroid Fusion - I REALLY want a 2D Metroid with 3d effects, not an FPS. A sequel to Fusion would make me the happiest person ever.
Wario Land 4
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity

wsippel

Banned
Senran Kagura is the most successful new IP by Marvelous in years, isn't it? I want to play that game. Get on it, Rising Star! We got equally borderline but far worse shit like Agarest Wars and Neptunia for fuck's sake!

Wow I'm loving all the feedback. So it seems I will have a message saying whether to buy it or wait for a price drop.

Also don't worry y'all I will add more games tonight. That's what I thought about at the top of my head at 2 AM lol.

I can't really recommend Monkey Ball or Tetris Axis though. Both left a sour taste in my mouth.

I will also have a section dedicated to upcoming releases so don't worry guys!

Alrus

Senran Kagura is the most successful new IP by Marvelous in years, isn't it? I want to play that game. Get on it, Rising Star! We got equally borderline but far worse shit like Agarest Wars and Neptunia for fuck's sake!

Not the most successful no, that would be Grand Knight History. Still, for the kind of game it is, its success was sizeable indeed.

I don't expect it to come to the west anytime soon though.

The Boat

I
All in all, $40 for many of the games listed is too much. This includes Pilotwings, which has 4-5 hours of gameplay. However, for $5-12, even Pilotwings is worth

Sorry, but this isn't true, Pilotwings has a lot more than 4-5 hours. Of course, you need to like high score games, but getting good scores on everything takes quite a bit of time. I believe I've seen people here with 35 hours. If you're the type of person that wants to breeze through things though, yes, it might have 5 hours but that doesn't do the game justice. It's true that it needed bigger variety of vehicles and levels though.

Edit: I recommend linking to the games' OT or similar, it's the easiest way to find out what othet people think, especially since many just look at screenshots and go "that seems like shit".

wsippel

Banned
Not the most successful no, that would be Grand Knight History. Still, for the kind of game it is, its success was sizeable indeed.

I don't expect it to come to the west anytime soon though.
Grand Knight History started better, but do we have current figures? Kagura is still full price at Amazon.jp for example, and was still in the 3DS top 10 last time I looked a few weeks ago. Kagura also had a successful and single and art book, and a manga now - all kinds of shit. Hard to tell in the end I guess.

cajunator

Banned
After seeing this thread, I think I might need a 3DS. I cant see the 3D effect because I have fucked up eyesight but whatever.
when does Kid Icarus game come out? that may be when I come aboard.

Boney

Banned
After seeing this thread, I think I might need a 3DS. I cant see the 3D effect because I have fucked up eyesight but whatever.
when does Kid Icarus game come out? that may be when I come aboard.

It's a March release

:)

Lack of region free kills the system for me. The awesome JP games coming out for it just make this even worse.
Let's go Somali pirate style and steal a Japanese 3DS shipment. I get Miku and you get Atlus.

Okay I got the Zelda Unit just this week (I made a thread about trying to get one earlier) on Monday, and that's the only game I have. I'm going to grab Mario Kart this weekend. Only reason I didn't is I bought the system at GS because they were the only place I found with the bundle left, and I didn't want to buy other crap there. I've been busy with family, friends, and my gf all week though (as well as Portal 2) so I just haven't gotten much playtime in yet.

So what do you think about my 3ds plan of attack GAF? I have OOT + 4 Swords, and am getting Mario Kart. I figure after I beat OOT as well as play a bunch of Kart that Mario 3d Land would be top of the list. Outside of that I'm really looking forward to the US release of Tales in Feb. as I like the series. The 3ds port is a worthy one right?

Outside of that what else should I be doing? My Nephew just got a 3ds in Nov for his birthday so we can share games. He has Pilotwings, Monkeyball, and Lego Starwars. (Has Kart too, but I'm getting my own copy). Anything else that is a must have that I missed? I know people liked Street Fighter and Ghost Recon at launch, and DOA fans liked that as well when it hit over the summer. I sort of feel like especially for the fighters that their time has passed? Am I crazy?

SF64 is semi intruging as well, but not at $40. The $40 thing in general is sort of a block for me going back to older games. If some solid games are cheap and worth it though I might take the plunge. I'm a big Kart fan though so that's a must even at $40. Yet I might be convinced to wait out Mario 3d for a bit if there are some cheaper worthy titles to go play through 1st.

You know about registering your games for a free download of the 3D Classics Kid Icarus and/or entering a draw for a free Mario/Peach/Toad skinned 3DS, yes?

Also, download Swap Note and participate in the Swap Note thread nao!

Have a look at the Pushmo/Pullblox thread and see if this fine eShop title is your cup of tea. Hint: it is excellent.

cj_iwakura

It's a March release

:)

Let's go Somali pirate style and steal a Japanese 3DS shipment. I get Miku and you get Atlus.

I've never swapped consoles just to play JP games, and don't plan on starting now.

I wonder if an import adapter's viable... it'll be just like my Saturn!

disco

I would take the ambassador games as a major hint for future releases.

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - Ocarina of Time 3D
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 - Super Mario Land 3D
Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Mario Kart 7
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Fire Emblem Awakening

That leaves us with these questionable titles:
Metroid Fusion - I REALLY want a 2D Metroid with 3d effects, not an FPS. A sequel to Fusion would make me the happiest person ever.
Wario Land 4
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity

Nice.. theory.. Hmm..

-KRS-

I can't really recommend Monkey Ball or Tetris Axis though. Both left a sour taste in my mouth.

But you can put a womens dress on your male Mii. That totally makes it worth it! Though I'm not sure if others you play against online can see the Mii or not.

No seriously it also left me a bit disappointed. None of the modes except for the original Tetris marathon mode are really that interesting. And even that is basically just the same as marathon mode in every other Tetris released recently on Nintendo platforms. So if you own Tetris DS or Tetris Party or whatever there's basically no reason to buy this at all, because the rotation system in all those games is exactly the same. So they all feel exactly the same. That's what I don't like about the post-SRS Tetris games. There's not enough variety.

Edit: Oh and the 3D in this game is really not necessary and actually detracts from the experience imho, because the upcoming block-preview window and the "hold" window are on a slightly different plane compared to the playing field/well, making it harder to focus on what's coming up next and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom