• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | February 25 - March 3 | Not here to talk about Street Fighter

ismk

from what i've heard, kevin was offered a large sum of money upfront + paid travel to a lot of events. i don't offer salaries for players or signing bonuses, and maybe that's just what he wanted. ultimately it's all good :3 i'll just have to work harder to be the best team in the fgc again

Looks like Dieminion loves that paper so much that he can't tell his (now) former boss that he's leaving.

It's good that you're taking this in good spirit, Koogy.

Shouta

This attitude just reeks of jealousy. Don't really see why it's anybody's responsibility to support what they have no interest in.

I secured the spot for 3rd stream at Final Round. If Larry says I gotta cover Melty Blood and Spooky/FunkyP get SF4 and Marvel, I'm still cool.

Think "naivety" is a better word than "jealousy", the truth is that people want to pretend that their favourite fighting game is the best fighting game ever and everyone should support it, but problem is there are tens of fighting games that can be held in a tourney. And it's pretty naive to expect the FGC to support every of the fighting games. Time is limited, resources are limited, it's just not possible for someone to care much about the poverty Melty Blood/Skullgirls/VF5 when in the first place he would rather spend time playing LoL or COD than a fighting game.

It's neither jealousy nor is it naivety. If folks want to grow the community so it has better support overall, then supporting all the games are important. We can argue what are the highlight games at the time, sure, but we should be supporting the ones that are decided on. And by support, I mean something as simple as leaving a stream on the background or not being an ass about the games that you don't play. Ideally, it'd be for everyone to watch as many games as they can and enjoy the competitive aspect because you don't need to play a game to enjoy seeing two guys play the best they can.

It's about passive support, not necessarily active support. Yeah, folks are not going to have time for every game, that's understandable. But not choosing to support other games in some small fashion (or even going as far as deriding other games) is frankly, silly.

On Dieminion: Pretty stupid not to tell Koogy directly about it. That's notable lack of professionalism. I can't really fault him for going with the best offer on that economic front but you can't burn your bridges, especially in a community of this size.

If Red Bull can sponsor technology development and execution of a sub-orbital jump, then they shouldn't have any problem with IPL financially. I do wonder how they will manage it. This has potential to be a game-changing shift.

Edgeward

Someone needs to photoshop the nwo Hogan heel turn with Dieminion, or just put a giant black circle on his face, wearing a BT shirt as he rips it off and drops leg on Macho Koogy Savage. Just like the LeBron vid.

Shouta

No, just no. Lol. Last thing I would do is leave TS in this point in time knowing what's about to happen, real rap lol ;)

I uploaded another match from Top 16 in SFXT off stream btw -
AGE Chris G (Hwo/Chun) vs EG Ricky Ortiz (Rufus/Chun) - winners top 16 -> top 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDGpxvqdxkY

Oh, didn't realize you had an account here, Art.

Thanks for the SFxT matches. Us Online warriors were hungry for some more matches to watch from WB.

Horseress

No, just no. Lol. Last thing I would do is leave TS in this point in time knowing what's about to happen, real rap lol ;)

I uploaded another match from Top 16 in SFXT off stream btw -
AGE Chris G (Hwo/Chun) vs EG Ricky Ortiz (Rufus/Chun) - winners top 16 -> top 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDGpxvqdxkY

Yo, that Hiro x JWong match that you posted earlier was amazing! I really hope we have more stream time for SfxT at Final Round

ismk

The tourist board will continue to put money into it as long as people keep attending VXG. Last year had 150 international players from the Caribbean alone and 2 major islands didn't attend. VXG isn't solely dependent on US players to survive, the Caribbean players view this as their event and will continue to support it.

From the looks of it, most of the money for VxG is coming from the tourism board, not the Caribbean players. The way they are spending money from sponsoring Cross Counter and multiple major events not counting their own event (where most of their money will go), I highly doubt this whole lavish Caribbean tournament isn't viable.

Regarding the 150 international players, a lot of them were probably sponsored player or were given a free play trip to St. Maarten. Lastly, if the US players aren't there, their tournament won't be as big. It would be just another regional tournament with maybe a handful of international players.

Great to see that some big things are going to happen at TS. The team deserves it especially Spooky.

Venfayth

Dat viscant

ZJcAyGZ.png

Koogy

Neo Member
funny story about viscant.

at NEC i told him repeatedly to get a twitter. i explained to him it was the ultimate form of media for him. he was very upset at me, told me i was not pure and kicked me out of the suite.

2 days later he gets one, and the rest is history.

Think "naivety" is a better word than "jealousy", the truth is that people want to pretend that their favourite fighting game is the best fighting game ever and everyone should support it, but problem is there are tens of fighting games that can be held in a tourney. And it's pretty naive to expect the FGC to support every of the fighting games. Time is limited, resources are limited, it's just not possible for someone to care much about the poverty Melty Blood/Skullgirls/VF5 when in the first place he would rather spend time playing LoL or COD than a fighting game.
I think the scene is in a better place than it has been in the last couple of years. More of what has happened this year would be fine with me, I guess.
This guy cracks me the fuck up lmao.

ismk

you don't have to quote me ;_; i'm right here ;_;

but yeah, no plans to expand

No surprise to hear that you won't be expanding after losing Dieminion. I just hope whoever your next player is, he is outgoing and a strong AE '12 player.

spoonztt

From the looks of it, most of the money for VxG is coming from the tourism board, not the Caribbean player. The way they are spending money from sponsoring Cross Counter and multiple major events not counting their own event (where most of their money will go), I highly doubt this whole lavish Caribbean tournament isn't viable.

Regarding the 150 international players, a lot of them were probably sponsored player or were given a free play trip to St. Maarten. Lastly, if the US players aren't there, their tournament won't be as big. It would be just another regional tournament with maybe a handful of international players.

Your assumptions are a bit off there. I'd say 90% of the international players went on their own dime last year (myself included) and the marketing was nowhere near as much as this year. Regardless of what you might think the tourist board is quite happy with exposure they're getting from VXG. I'd estimate at least 500 international players coming this year with about 75% being Caribbean players who are paying their own way.

dude it took me 2 years to get a gaf account, i can't hook him up with anything lol

Koogy, thanks for getting Viscant a Twitter, the man is a riot.

And yes, tell him to register for a GAF account. We'll see who the ultimate theory fighters are between him and FGC-GAF.

All I can say about Dieminion, I hope you know what you're doing, good luck and keep fiercing people in the mouth.

Red Bull bought IPL according to Sir Scoots.

Solid pick up.

A lot of people were wondering what was gonna happen to Red Bull after their Day 9 run tournament wasn't as big as they hoped, I guess now we know.

Top Bottom