• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flaked |OT| Won't someone please help Will Arnett's new Netflix show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Surprised to see the negativity here. Binged 5 episodes yesterday, and I'm enjoying it more than either Master of None and Love. Different strokes, I guess.

I don't get the negativity either. I think people largely aren't trying it due to the low scores. I'd say I found Master of None more enjoyable but it had a happier tone, and Love was good but had its issues. This is probably in-between the two of them for me.

I'm two episodes in and I'm really liking the series so far. I absolutely love the choice in music, and the episode pacing is just right so far. Not crazily fast, but not slow enough to lose my attention. The
kombucha
reveal at the end of episode 1 seemed weird though. You'd think they'd wanna save that for a few episodes in.

Sai-kun

Banned
I got two episodes into this and felt nothing. It wasn't particularly amazing, but it wasn't particularly terrible either.

It just has no hook whatsoever. It just...exists.

The Beard

I just finished this series. It showed a 4.75 star rating on Netflix and I'm a fan of Will Arnett's so I figured I'd give it a shot. I had no idea about all of the bad reviews while I was watching it. I was just thinking to myself, how in the hell did this get 4.75 stars? Why is any of this happening? Stool store with zero customers and 1 stool, why? The "big reveals", wut?
(he killed London's brother. Hold up, his ex wife killed London's brother.) So, is he or isn't he an alcoholic? He's going to continue to let his girlfriend believe that he killed her brother? He didn't want to tell his best friend something that he clearly already found out about? I may have partially zoned out towards the end but what the hell was the point of that SaVenice meeting at the end? They were 100% against building a Hotel, but were suddenly all onboard after Chip's 2 minute speech?

It was a terrible and pointless show. Arnett did a pretty good job but the material was just garbage.

Smellycat

I have watched several episodes, and this is such a boring show. Like others were saying, this show is pointless and uninteresting, which is a terrible combination.

Yikes. Hadn't seen the terrible press until just now. I finished the series yesterday and thought it was fairly good. If you enjoy Arnett, there is lots to love in this show.

DrBo42

I couldn't even make it past the pilot. Awful writing. Arnett's character is like a boring AA hall monitor with a side of creep. Wasn't a single likeable character or decent joke in sight.

Surprised to see the negativity here. Binged 5 episodes yesterday, and I'm enjoying it more than either Master of None and Love. Different strokes, I guess.

WOW. Honestly, that's shocking to me.

Having seen this twice now (once alone and once with my girlfriend), I really do think this show is super solid, but suffers from Bojack syndrome where the first few episodes are the worst and set a tone that really isn't too indicative of the show as a whole.

Thankfully fan reaction seems quite positive, so hopefully we can get a second season despite the fact critics railed on it.

mil6es

Hold it, I really like this show? Don't what's so bad about it? Binged it what I rarely do anymore these days and enjoyed it start to finished and was bummed out when there were no more episodes to watch.

Edit: question is it just GAF being GAF that everyone has seen the reviews beforehand and preemptively decided to shit on it in here?
group think?

Just finished up season 2. Didn't see a thread but I'm curious about the London's brother story. Season 2 spoiler question :
why did she get mad when Chip tells he he didn't kill her brother?

i didn't get how at the guy's mobile birthday party they all just relapsed and no one really seemed to care.

i guess that's how it is in real life, though. it was just jarring.

EDIT both, not all, i guess.

Oreoleo

Just finished up season 2. Didn't see a thread but I'm curious about the London's brother story. Season 2 spoiler question :
why did she get mad when Chip tells he he didn't kill her brother?

Because he had already lied to her a bunch and had the whole "I don't want to lie anymore" sort of confessional moment with her. Plus it was kind of the foundation of their whole relationship. It's a HUGE lie to maintain for as long as Chip did. How can you be with someone/trust someone who puts that kind of effort into being deceitful?

i didn't get how at the guy's mobile birthday party they all just relapsed and no one really seemed to care.

i guess that's how it is in real life, though. it was just jarring.
You mean at the wine shop after their girlfriends broke up with them? They were at their lowest and looked for relief in the one place they knew they could find it. Seemed pretty true to life to me.

no i mean at the stoner guys birthday party. it was before she broke up with chip.

they're just popping bottles in the Winnebago

Oreoleo

no i mean at the stoner guys birthday party. it was before she broke up with chip.

they're just popping bottles in the Winnebago

Hm yeah, I went back and looked and you're right. It looks like Dennis is just passing out drinks to others at first but there's a shot of him and Chip both with cups in hand. You could make the argument Dennis was just keeping up appearances with his gf since she didn't know he wasn't an alcholic (and up to that point demonstrated he could be around wine/alcohol and control himself), but Chip, yeah idk. Good catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom