• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Animation |OT| Cartoon, Cartoon, Cartoon

munchie64

y78ieKr.gif

ZdQPAE6.gif
I need to watch this again.

Shout outs to Jim Cummings, Mel Blanc, Frank Welker, Tara Strong, Billy West, Tom Kenny, and Rob Paulsen for voicing most of the cartoons I grew up with.

Double points to Cummings.

jim-cummings-1-sized.jpg

Fox318

Does Stop Motion belong here?

Henry Selick, Laika productions, and Aardman Animations probably belong in here.

my top 3 western avant garde animators:

Harry Smith
heavenandearthmagic_newsite.jpg

Heaven and Earth Magic (1962)
psychedelic cut-and-paste occult surrealist masterpiece. at one point Harry Smith was working on a 6 hour version of Wizard of Oz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbjSSyAo9WA

John Whitney
hqdefault.jpg

Catalog (1961)
Whitney made animations by re-purposing surplus WWII anti-air computers and programming them to control cameras. pretty much the first computer animations ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbV7loKp69s

Jordan Belson
Allures_Jordan_Belson_viaCVM.jpg

Belson created custom camera and lighting equipment to shoot surreal and abstract films that would accurately capture the spiritual visions he had. his estate is super strict about keeping his films offline but they are really wild, the only thing i can compare them to is the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey. often it feels like you are in the presence of some ghost or other entity. very trippy.

Fox318

You're gonna have complicated feelings when you realise most of your favourite cartoons in the '80s / '90s were actually Japanese animation (Ducktales, Transformers, etc.).

I mean if we define where its animated like 70% of all animated shows are produced in South Korea right?

I mean if we define where its animated like 70% of all animated shows are produced in South Korea right?

Yeah, and a lot of anime episodes aren't actually animated in Japan.

Anyway, it will be nice to have a thread like this to discuss shows that aren't yet popular enough to get an OT. For example, back when We Bare Bears started, everyone was discussing it in the Steven Universe thread for some reason.

I suppose this could also be used to link a new show OT when it's made.

Samurai Jack gifs?

Samurai Jack gifs.

tumblr_n50vorGQ5u1qi7iyqo1_400.gif

NX8jm.gif

giphy.gif

3adc407edfb67d94d59e61ee079c9091.jpg

tumblr_mid9jtrIfp1rr79ifo1_400.gif

The best thing about that show was how nobody making it showed any constraint. If they had an idea, they'd just go all out. Remember that fight scene that was entirely in black and white?

giphy.gif

I'm really enjoying star wars rebels

is the clone wars cg show just as good?

Clone Wars gets better and better as the seasons go on. There's a decent amount of character development involved Ahsoka going from inexperienced Padawan to disciplined Jedi and Anakin becoming more and more disillusioned and touched by the dark side. It's also a really beautiful looking show at times with the last season in particular having some very cinematic scenes.

PaulloDEC

Glad to see it get some love in here.

Us1K3pe.gif

Only two pages and already so much love for Tron Uprising.

This is going to be a good thread.

PSY・S;221504755 said:
would you guys recommend grabbing that Australian Over the Garden Wall Blu-Ray?

There's an Australian Blu-Ray of Over the Garden Wall? Looks like I'm going to JB Hifi after work.

EDIT: I dun did it you guys:

Happy to answer any questions. Looks pretty great at first glance.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Lol at the rating: "Scary scenes". Is there commentary on all the episodes or just a few? I've never been more tempted to own a bluray player in my life.

Only two pages and it's already full of love and adoration to the people and products of the industry. I really wish we had a thread on web based animation and the like. From the up and comers starting their journey on the web to people making shows on the web, to just fight animations and such. Oh well, maybe some day.

Rated-G

Love seeing TRON Uprising get recognition. I also have to recommend Motorcity. It also aired on Disney XD with TRON. Easily my favorite thing Titmouse has done. Awesome and unique style, very dynamic animation, and Mark Hamill is always welcome in animation. It was also cancelled with TRON, and only has the one season.

I'd also like to throw in Moral Orel, which I slept on and recently watched on Hulu, realizing my mistake. The show is a ride and gets very dark and very real in the end of the second season and all of the third.

Both are available on Hulu in full in the US, as well as on Amazon and iTunes for purchase.

PaulloDEC

Lol at the rating: "Scary scenes". Is there commentary on all the episodes or just a few? I've never been more tempted to own a bluray player in my life.

To my surprise, looks like commentary on all ten episodes (all by creator Pat Hale and art director Nick Cross). There's also an eight-minute behind the scenes featurette, a "composer's cut" (which seems to be an isolated score), the original pilot and some cut animatics.

Some quick screenshots:

Top Bottom