• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Trailer for The Mist TV Show Expands on Stephen King's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why do they have to milk it past its expiration date? Or is it expiation? I forget.
The movie was awesome, the novella was great.
There are other King stories that could use the TV show treatment.
Salem's Lot. Even IT would have been better suited. But any of those as a limited series at that.
Whatever, let's see it anyway.

I wonder why do they have to milk it past its expiration date? Or is it expiation? I forget.
The movie was awesome, the novella was great.
There are other King stories that could use the TV show treatment.
Salem's Lot. Even IT would have been better suited. But any of those as a limited series at that.
Whatever, let's see it anyway.
Honestly, the concept is very easily expandable for a long running show.

A military base is doing experiments opening portals to other worlds. Shit goes down and a portal gets left open, the other world starts spilling into ours. From there they can follow the book for Season 1 and then every season after they could go to a new town or city with new characters trying to survive the things coming out of the mist/portal. If they ever want to end it themselves have a season focus on an elite task force going back to the research facility to try and shut down the machine and close the door.

I mean hell they could even do a season through the portal if they wanted but I suspect the budget would be so lacking that it's not even worth it.

Replicant

Just hope it still has monsters and creatures...really hope they go that route along with The Arrowhead Project storyline instead of something paranormal.

For what it's worth, there's a guy who got grabbed by tendrils/tentacles:

JrGz7JG.png

So monsters may still be in it, depending on their budget.

robochimp

Honestly, the concept is very easily expandable for a long running show.

A military base is doing experiments opening portals to other worlds. Shit goes down and a portal gets left open, the other world starts spilling into ours. From there they can follow the book for Season 1 and then every season after they could go to a new town or city with new characters trying to survive the things coming out of the mist/portal. If they ever want to end it themselves have a season focus on an elite task force going back to the research facility to try and shut down the machine and close the door.

I mean hell they could even do a season through the portal if they wanted but I suspect the budget would be so lacking that it's not even worth it.

As season through the portal would be pretty horrific, darkness filled with monsters.

http://stephenking.wikia.com/wiki/Todash_space

Dalek

This show lives and dies on whether or not it can create a character as universally hateable as this fucking bitch:

If they can't do that its a failure from the start.

My wife refuses to watch anything Marcia is in because she hates her that much from The Mist.

cacildo

When most people think of Stephen King’s The Mist, the first thing that comes to mind is the best movie ever made

I been waiting on this.

Really liked the film. Which I felt more of a pull to this cast of mostly unknowns, but I'm still down.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I adore the universe but I highly doubt this will get the budget or direction to be anything more than a Walking Dead-style snoozer with lots of talking and maybe three monster appearances per season.

There are a bunch of interesting King adaptations coming out. I love the book and movie versions of The Mist and think they both stand on their own, but they also have a couple of minor issues that could be addressed. The book has an upsetting Stephen King affair fantasy that I should not have read when I was 10. The movie fixed that, but then changed the ending to something that, while jaw-dropping in the theater, is so extreme that it just becomes silly when you rewatch it. It would be amazing if this show fixed that stuff and then widened the scope of the story in a seamless way. But it's Spike TV so I have to assume it will be a pile of shit.

The religious lady is my most hated fictional character of all time. She got more of a reaction out of me than anything in memory.

This show lives and dies on whether or not it can create a character as universally hateable as this fucking bitch:

i literally had to get up and clap when she got got, I've never come come anywhere close to doing something like that before.

My soul would still be burning if she had somehow made it out.

I recently saw the movie for the first time. I was really into it until that shitty and unsatisfying ending, it was a pretty cool film up until then.

This looks ok, I guess

Awesome. Wonder if they'll keep the ending from the movie or the book.
If they do an ongoing series across different places, the ending of the book works perfectly.

As season through the portal would be pretty horrific, darkness filled with monsters.

http://stephenking.wikia.com/wiki/Todash_space
Oh yes I'm familiar :D

That's why I doubt they'd have the budget to make it happen ):

I adore the universe but I highly doubt this will get the budget or direction to be anything more than a Walking Dead-style snoozer with lots of talking and maybe three monster appearances per season.
This is my fear too, it's gonna focus way too much on the human vs human aspect with very little creature time. It's been a while since I've seen it read it but I'm pretty sure that all major action scenes except for one involve monsters so it was pretty monster-heavy.

Monsters probably are just humans turned when they breath in the mist. The reason I like the book/movie is because it has the 80s vibe to it, this doesn't seem the same from the trailer.

Geist-

The disaster that was Under the Dome is still fresh in my mind, but I guess I can keep an ear out for impressions when this airs.

Carcetti

The short story's a great setup for a post-apocalyptic Walking Dead style show with tentacles. They're gonna screw it up anyway but I'm hoping it'll be decent.

I'm already tired of the crazy priest, though, and I've seen him for like 10 seconds total.

Dynomutt

i literally had to get up and clap when she got got, I've never come come anywhere close to doing something like that before.

My soul would still be burning if she had somehow made it out.

Yep my hate for her got personal lol! The only person I hate more is Hugo/Josh Harnett in the Movie "O". To this day I swear to God if I see him at a mall I'll drop kick him down an escalator.

Razmos

Not sure I like that the mist seems to do some psychological stuff. I preferred it when it was just monsters.

That means an entire series of "Is this real or imiginary" bullshit which I never enjoy

The best short story I've read and the new movie was good. With that being said going by the trailer it looks like they are going with some mind control mumbo jumbo. They probably doing this to pad out the show and to make the villains more than just monsters but the people too.

They are going to try and Walking Dead this show. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Gattsu25

Banned

I thought her character was laughably unrealistic. It actually made it hard to invest in any of the drama of the movie.

The entire character + her followers felt like a reverse Jack Chick comic to me.

It's a depiction of someone who loses their mind to religion by someone that has never seen what that actually looks like.

Bad7667

I can only hope it isn't as fucking garbage as Under the Dome

I was so excited for that show and my god what a shit show. The acting was so bad. I made it 5 episodes before I couldn't take it anymore.

Hopefully, this turns out better but it being on Spike TV has me cautious.

The movie was actually good and the story is self contained enough to be one movie. Stretching this out to a TV series seems like a bad idea with a lower budget and filler story time on Spike, of all places. I have very low expectations.

Why do so many people keep talking about padding? They aren't looking to turn the short story into multiple seasons, they're gonna have it follow many groups in different locations. It's right there in the OP.

The best short story I've read and the new movie was good. With that being said going by the trailer it looks like they are going with some mind control mumbo jumbo. They probably doing this to pad out the show and to make the villains more than just monsters but the people too.

They are going to try and Walking Dead this show. I'm cautiously optimistic.
To be fair though that's part of the point of the whole thing and there in the book and movie too.

The Giant

Banned

If I was stuck is a situation like The Mist. First thing I would do is find out who is a religious nutjob like that cunty bitch in the movie and kick them out and watch them get killed.

Apt101

Still one of my favorite novellas. The movie was pretty damn faithful to it, not changing much drastically (save the ending, which I think was far better in the film). Apprehensive about stretching this out into a show.

Is it a limited series?

Edit: nm read up more and got the trailer to load (wouldn't for me on YT, for some reason....). Looks kinda shitty. The mist drives them crazy? Ugh. That ain't what Todash space does mang.

BW Cut is incredible. Love this film. It's a shame the theater cut was lame.

The religious lady is my most hated fictional character of all time. She got more of a reaction out of me than anything in memory.

She was awful, amazing movie all told. I really really enjoyed it. And that ending!

Must admit i think the way or religious nut nut cracked was excellent.

Fuck did I hate her character.

Isolated incidents sounds like a decent idea for a season. Season 1 - Day 1 would feature 3-4 Episodes spread across random locations, Day 2 3-4 Episodes, and Day 3 3-4 Episode.

I love the movie, but even there things starting to wear thin about three quarters of the way through. I can't see how they'll stretch this out over a 10+ episode season.

Can't one of these networks do a Cell TV show or hell, give me another The Stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom