• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Trailer for The Mist TV Show Expands on Stephen King's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
This is not going to be good. Even if it were on a channel with a reputation for good TV, I'd still be saying it is not going to be good.

But... Spike?

555.jpg

KonradLaw

Not sure. Loved the novella and the movie, but when they announced a tv series I thought they would expand upon the material by showing the Arrowhead projet and exploring more of the monsters/otherworld. Instead it looks like they will just clone the orginal story with introducing more closed locations for different groups of survivors and still don't explain much about the different world.

caliph95

Not sure. Loved the novella and the movie, but when they announced a tv series I thought they would expand upon the material by showing the Arrowhead projet and exploring more of the monsters/otherworld. Instead it looks like they will just clone the orginal story with introducing more closed locations for different groups of survivors and still don't explain much about the different world.
Basically doing a Walking Dead season 2

Kinda looks like the mist is now messing with people's minds and showing them visions or some shit.

It's been years since I read the story, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't in there.

eso76

I don't know how the fuck this is going to work past 2 hours.

It's kind of a basic story.

Yeah this.
SK has stories that would work great as TV Shows, I mean, both IT and The Stand are perfect source material for that. I assume the Dark Tower as well but I never read those.

The Myst though ? Several episodes, seasons possibly, of people in fog ?
Sure, there are ways to expand the story, but they all seem like it would require a much bigger budget than we can expect.

Yeah this.
SK has stories that would work great as TV Shows, I mean, both IT and The Stand are perfect source material for that. I assume the Dark Tower as well but I never read those.

The Myst though ? Several episodes, seasons possibly, of people in fog ?
Sure, there are ways to expand the story, but they all seem like it would require a much bigger budget than we can expect.

They stretched people being stuck under a dome across two seasons when at most it should have lasted four/maybe five hours as a mini series.

They'll find a way, it won't make for good television or storytelling, but they'll find a way to stretch it out over multiple seasons if they have to.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Stephen King presents: an abject terror descends upon Fart Creek, USA.

I like the original tale. It's a fun little one that it manages to be dark and oppressive story with some great atmosphere (I think world building may be a bit too much given the scale), but it's not like it has a lot of material to build a multi-season TV show on top of it.

Then there's the movie. Which had some great highs coupled with some hideous lows and some corny yet very interesting creature designs which could be easily replicated on a TV budget. But honestly, it's a story set in a tiny town during a one time event. Keeping the same feeling of dread and terror through several seasons is going to be impossible, not to mention that I don't trust Spike TV of all channels to come with a good story. Show too much of the creatures and they stop being scary. Make it a psychological thriller and it'll be a mess without some stellar writing.

I know damn well I'll be right there for the pilot anyway.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
miniseries would be a better idea.

also, the smaller the monsters in the movie, the worse they looked. big colossi in the mist looked boss.

bengraven

My favorite story of all time. The ending was open ended, unlike the movie, and I always hoped King would sequelize it.

That said, once the mist arrives it should be pure survival. I'm not sure how this psychological bullshit will work. It's mist full of Lovecraftian monsters not the most itself as the monster.

I don't know how the fuck this is going to work past 2 hours.

It's kind of a basic story.

So is the Walking Dead.

They just need to tell good human stories and show us cool monsters and not prolong it past the fourth or fifth season.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
miniseries would be a better idea.

also, the smaller the monsters in the movie, the worse they looked. big colossi in the mist looked boss.

Tentacle thing right at the start looked hideous beyond words.

Most of the CG was very, very shoddy for its era. I remember being at the cinema, amazed by how awful everything looked. The behemoth and the spider-like things were by far the best of the bunch.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I hope we see less emotions and relationship crap and more monsters. I don't want no teen beat Mist, I want people getting fucked up.

Tentacle thing right at the start looked hideous beyond words.

Most of the CG was very, very shoddy for its era. I remember being at the cinema, amazed by how awful everything looked. The behemoth and the spider-like things were by far the best of the bunch.

The black and white version of the film helps tremendously to hide the shoddy CG. I won't even watch the movie in color anymore.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This will follow the Walking Dead formula of Action Packed Season Premiere > 8 Episodes of People in a Confined Setting Talking to Each Other > Action Packed Season Finale.
Or just pull another Under the Dome and have us all cackling into an aneurysm at the utter idiocy of all from pilot to season finale.

RhDYoE3.gif

At least Under the Dome had Rachelle Lefevre looking stunning in skinny jeans.

Or just pull another Under the Dome and have us all cackling into an aneurysm at the utter idiocy of all from pilot to season finale.

Sheriff tried to kill us! Let's forgive him... Sheriff tried to kill us again! Let's forgive him again... (Repeat x 2654680)

I didn't like the mist movie, but I'm willing to give the show a chance. I hope it ends up just being a stealth miniseries. As others have said- it needs to have a beginning and end.

Which Mist is this one continuing? The Pirates of the Mist one, or the I Lol'd at Ending one?

Also in the remake one, I never understood why they didn't just kill the religious bitching or forced her outside, as she was clearly a risk in their survival and obviously trying to get everyone else killed.

It's too bad they are breaking the Franchise up between studios considering it's all one persistent universe, it means you can't get cohesion between themes and designs.

In the Mist there are crabb creatures that are featured in other books, and I think there's even links to IT. In there right?

So what would of been great would be starting to link those differing worlds but since it's all being whored to different buyers that'll be impossible.

cacildo

This will follow the Walking Dead formula of Action Packed Season Premiere > 8 Episodes of People in a Confined Setting Talking to Each Other > Action Packed Season Finale.

I wish they at least talked to each other

Most of the time TWD characters just make angry faces while in a dangerous silence.

And then they say something DEEP

And then season finale with the worst shooting action ever filmed

EDIT: And then Tv review says it was fantastic. Audience snores and wake up when the cell phone falls in the face

So is the Walking Dead.

No idea why people keep bringing this up as some sort of positive example

1) that shit was an ongoing with no sign of ever ending when it got adapted.

2) it went off the rails verry early in its lifetime

3) is sadistic, wheel spinning trash now and has been for the last 5 years.

I mean, sure, The Mist could be that too, but who here would actually want that shit?

Why?

iddqd

Wait, people hate the ending of the movie?
I always thought it was pretty ballsy, does the short story end differently?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

It was one of the few amazing things about the movie.

I can always appreciate a nicely thrown, unexpected gut punch.

Yes. I don't know if you care to be spoiled but the ending of the book is VERY different from the movie. King, however, said he absolutely loved the ending of the movie, for whatever that's worth.

cacildo

The ending is fantastic

The only low point of the movie is the unfortunally bad early 2000´s CG - and that is just a few moments in the movie

Somebody should make a REMASTER with BETTER GRAPHICS

iddqd

Yes. I don't know if you care to be spoiled but the ending of the book is VERY different from the movie. King, however, said he absolutely loved the ending of the movie, for whatever that's worth.

Might just read the story then, I have some free time over Easter and I have not read anything King since hitting puberty.

Man, I can understand why anyone will get a "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" thoughts if you see this giant monstrosity.

Game over, man. Game over. This world is no longer ours to rule. We're the insects now.
Eh... naw. It's a lie perpetuated by cinema. The bigger you are doesn't mean you're flesh is more durable, just thicker. Even then we have weapons that will make mince meat of those slow giants. Makes you question all of pacific rim's logic.

caliph95

Eh... naw. It's a lie perpetuated by cinema. The bigger you are doesn't mean you're flesh is more durable, just thicker. Even then we have weapons that will make mince meat of those slow giants. Makes you question all of pacific rim's logic.
I mean in one of the endings(i think official)
the military just cleaned up and got rid of them, the townfolks had no chance but any decent military had no problems

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Questioning the logic of people using giant robots in a giant robot film kind of misses the point.

It's too bad they are breaking the Franchise up between studios considering it's all one persistent universe, it means you can't get cohesion between themes and designs.

In the Mist there are crabb creatures that are featured in other books, and I think there's even links to IT. In there right?

So what would of been great would be starting to link those differing worlds but since it's all being whored to different buyers that'll be impossible.

Yeah, the Mist as well as like... 18 other Stephen King books are all part of The Dark Tower (some in more subtle ways than others, like The Mist and IT). Doing something on that scale... like that's beyond even what Marvel is doing. It would be so cool but I don't think even the DT movies will do it justice, let alone trying to expand out beyond that main story.

There's no way it's going to match one of the best horror movies of the 2000s. I doubt they're going to show much of the monsters, cause of budgetary reasons so it'll just be a chamber drama.

There's no way it's going to match one of the best horror movies of the 2000s. I doubt they're going to show much of the monsters, cause of budgetary reasons so it'll just be a chamber drama.

The movie was unbearable, but I might give the tv series a shot.

LOL always love wildy different reactions between consecutive posts.

I actually really really love the movie. Saw it first before even knowing the novella existed and hoped for a bigger look at the overrun world. Reading the novella now and am cautiously optimistic about the series. Hopefully it really does surpass Under The Dome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom