• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New series, The Orville coming this fall from FOX starring/created by Seth McFarlane

That man is such a huge Trekkie, and tried so hard to get the show back on the air without silly JJ verse crap. He deserves to make fun of it! Colour me VERY INTERESTED! :p

And please, make it a comedy and no character development. Character development belongs in Drama and in shitty SitComs (Which are not comedy, but just more drama with catch phrases).

WHAT!? I like bad movies and parodies! :D

No offense, but how do you write without characters?

How is Discovery's pitch anything like BSG?

Not so much the plot directly, but the fact that it's serialized instead of episodic, that early articles and interviews about the direction of the show pushed edginess and sex also reminded me of BSG. The all-access pay model is the last thing that, while nothing like BSG, annoys me.

I like Trek/Twilight Zone style stories which are only done by Black Mirror these days. Episodic, morality-theme based, high concept sci-fi packed up in a militaristic-yet-optimistic shell.

gforguava

Exactly what I was thinking.

Other Space was awesome, someone needs to pick it up
hotflamesofcoldlogic.png

Always nice to see other fans of the show.

And watching the trailer for this, well it wasn't the worst thing in the world but whose idea was it to give this thing such a substantial budget? That fact alone basically dooms the show, this should've been made as cheaply as possible for both the charm of it and as an incentive to keep it around assuming it gathers a modest or vocal audience. This feels like it is already on the chopping block.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Ha, this. I spent the trailer cringing, with the odd guilty laugh involuntarily escaping.

Why couldn't it have been a Stark Trek knock-off musical, we could have had it all. Put them singing pipes to work, MacFarlane.

Maybe they'll visit a musical planet where everyone must communicate in song form.

Is that all just supposed to be the first episode or is it a season long arc or what?

Likely all footage from the pilot episode.

Kevin

Trailer looked good but the jokes were hit and miss and what a terrible name for this show. I think the name of the show itself will offput people.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jesus, a toilet seat joke. What is this, the fifties?

95% of that trailer was awful. Even got the patented Seth banter that's aged horribly.

Zero315

Banned
McFarlane has his hands on Fox balls so I wouldn't be surprised that this does end succeeding.

Almost all his other tv series have failed miserably. The only two real successes are Family Guy and American Dad. Cleveland only lasted as long as it did to get it to enough episodes for syndication, Bordertown was shit and I don't even think it lasted its full season, Dads was cancelled after one season, The Winner was pulled fairly quickly, those awful one hour specials he used to do with Alex Borstein crashed and burned.

Ross61

Almost all his other tv series have failed miserably. The only two real successes are Family Guy and American Dad. Cleveland only lasted as long as it did to get it to enough episodes for syndication, Bordertown was shit and I don't even think it lasted its full season, Dads was cancelled after one season, The Winner was pulled fairly quickly, those awful one hour specials he used to do with Alex Borstein crashed and burned.
X_____X

I like the trailer. And I absolutely hate Family Guy.

I'll watch it in appreciation of Seth getting us a new Cosmos series a while back.

Wasn't he only a producer or something on those shows?

Looks like fun.

The designs are especially great. Love the uniforms, love the addition of a Green associated division of whatever this show's Star Fleet is called.

Venture

Not a fan of MacFarlane's stuff but I'd give this a watch. Just going by the trailer this could use more parodying of sci-fi and less jokey jokes.

DBT85

Not a fan of Mcfarlanes work usually but I'll try this. It needs to do better than toilet seat jokes though.

It alternated between very funny and a bit flat, but I love me some half decent SF comedy so I'll give the pilot a chance.

It won't be a Red Dwarf, but it could possibly be at least better than Quark or Hyperdrive

Someone in the production thread called it "The Fyre Festival of Television."

lol. at least they had the good sense to delay it until production is completed rather than put out 12 episodes of a crew sitting on green screen chairs and wandering around a desert passing off as a planet.

xrnzaaas

It's cute they're still trying their luck with spoof shows, but I can see this bombing hard like The Good Guys and Scream Queens.

I don't like Family Guy but this trailer looks alright. As long as it has some proper humour in there and it's not all just cheap shots and obvious "look at how we subvert this sci fi cliche!" gags.

Honestly, I'm interested in Mcfarlanes humor with irl characters. Ted was too busy trying to be a movie, but 1000 ways to die really hit that note a few times. I'm on board, glad he didn't push another fucking cartoon.

After that trailer I am cautiously optimistic.

2:1 odds of it being better than Star Trek: Discovery.
If nothing else at least Seth has managed to push out a trailer in a reasonable time period. I mean we still haven't gotten shit on Discovery and it was originally supposed to air in like January.

Honestly just happy to get another network spaceship show at this point.

Top Bottom