• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrace House Aloha State on Netflix |OT| Sea, no Sex, and Sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Anna is the worst. Like, she flat out tells Taishi that she isn't interested, but then she completely impedes any possible relationship between Taishi and Niki.

When she brought out the apron and was like, "Taishi gave me this," I was so pissed.

I loved that Taishi was just staring into the sink not acknowledging shit.

It seemed very petty and needy on Anna's part. She didn't have interest in Taishi, but no way she want's to give up that attention.

DKehoe

If anyone here is wanting to be able to watch Boys x Girls Next Door, a fan project has started on the TH reddit to create English subtitle files for it. They have just finished the first episode, if you go here you can get them.

Finished Part 3.

I've kind of taken a turn on Taishi, his flip flopping around is bugging me. I understand not falling in love right away, but the way he's going about it all is very unconscious of the girls feelings. Props on Cheri for noticing it immediately and calling him out.

Cheri and Wez haven't really changed the dynamic of the house as much as I thought they would. Maybe in the next part that will set in more.

Actually shocked by the Guy/Niki development.

If anyone here is wanting to be able to watch Boys x Girls Next Door, a fan project has started on the TH reddit to create English subtitle files for it. They have just finished the first episode, if you go here you can get them.
I want to see it because they keep bringing up Seina. Shit must have been crazy.

Finished Part 3.

I've kind of taken a turn on Taishi, his flip flopping around is bugging me. I understand not falling in love right away, but the way he's going about it all is very unconscious of the girls feelings. Props on Cheri for noticing it immediately and calling him out.

Cheri and Wez haven't really changed the dynamic of the house as much as I thought they would. Maybe in the next part that will set in more.

Actually shocked by the Guy/Niki development.
Honestly, I don't think Wez will change much of anything. They say he will, but that seems to me that they think so mainly due to how he looks. Get past that, though, and he's just like any other guy--he says he likes someone and then makes no move and then just fades into the background.

That personality type is fine in normal circumstances, but remember that he's being out next to Taishi, who is aggressively trying to be the main character of the show (which is what I think is his real prerogative. I think the girl drama is made up so he can hold the spotlight). It's going to take a lot to overcome that.

Great seeing Arman again, though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah...Wez hasn't really done anything so far. He seems like one of those guys going on the show more to try and get exposure than anything. Not everyone can be Han-san ;)

In his defense though I get that feel from a lot of other cast members. You have a lot of models, actors and stuff getting on the show. As flip floppy as Taishi seems to be...at least he's interacting with most of the girls. Which can't really be said for some of the other guys on the show.

Honestly, I don't think Wez will change much of anything. They say he will, but that seems to me that they think so mainly due to how he looks. Get past that, though, and he's just like any other guy--he says he likes someone and then makes no move and then just fades into the background.

That personality type is fine in normal circumstances, but remember that he's being out next to Taishi, who is aggressively trying to be the main character of the show (which is what I think is his real prerogative. I think the girl drama is made up so he can hold the spotlight). It's going to take a lot to overcome that.

Great seeing Arman again, though.

I honestly thought the house would just get more outgoing and fun possibly. More drinkers, both Wez and Cheri seemed like the entertainment type, I just got the impression that they'd come in and possibly the house would get less laid back. Especially with Taishi being happy about them both being able to drink and stuff and Guy being happy about Wez rapping. Was thinking we'd get some good group fun from this group.

Yeah...Wez hasn't really done anything so far. He seems like one of those guys going on the show more to try and get exposure than anything. Not everyone can be Han-san ;)

In his defense though I get that feel from a lot of other cast members. You have a lot of models, actors and stuff getting on the show. As flip floppy as Taishi seems to be...at least he's interacting with most of the girls. Which can't really be said for some of the other guys on the show.
I think they're all there for that purpose, more or less. Like, they obviously can't just say it, but that is the point of the show, whereas everything else is a bonus.

What sets Taishi apart to me, though, is that he knows how to game the system. Like, yeah, maybe he does want to find "a love worth doing for" or whatever, but everything he does gets him more camera time, and he's been portrayed as pretty much the lead character since he got on the show. That's why he's emotionally unstable. That's why he chewed out Yuya for no reason. That's why he took Wez (and everyone new) out immediately. And that's why there's all this girl drama. He knows they'll be talking about him and showing more of him, and that's going to be a great acting resume for him in the long run.

He's kind of like the idol and chef from last season, except he isn't being dumb about it and trying to hide nefarious deeds.

I honestly thought the house would just get more outgoing and fun possibly. More drinkers, both Wez and Cheri seemed like the entertainment type, I just got the impression that they'd come in and possibly the house would get less laid back. Especially with Taishi being happy about them both being able to drink and stuff and Guy being happy about Wez rapping. Was thinking we'd get some good group fun from this group.
I'm still not sure about Wez, but Cheri seems sharp as fuck. Like, when they listed her credentials, it was almost intimidating. She's as close to "perfect" as you can possibly get, assuming she doesn't have some major personality flaw that we haven't seen yet.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think they're all there for that purpose, more or less. Like, they obviously can't just say it, but that is the point of the show, whereas everything else is a bonus.

What sets Taishi apart to me, though, is that he knows how to game the system. Like, yeah, maybe he does want to find "a love worth doing for" or whatever, but everything he does gets him more camera time, and he's been portrayed as pretty much the lead character since he got on the show. That's why he's emotionally unstable. That's why he chewed out Yuya for no reason. That's why he took Wez (and everyone new) out immediately. And that's why there's all this girl drama. He knows they'll be talking about him and showing more of him, and that's going to be a great acting resume for him in the long run.

He's kind of like the idol and chef from last season, except he isn't being dumb about it and trying to hide nefarious deeds.

the crying is a bit much though. that's when i can't take him seriously lol

I'm still not sure about Wez, but Cheri seems sharp as fuck. Like, when they listed her credentials, it was almost intimidating. She's as close to "perfect" as you can possibly get, assuming she doesn't have some major personality flaw that we haven't seen yet.

If she didn't strongly dislike her boss I would see it as a major personality flaw. From just that 5 sec interaction from when she was introduced I never disliked one person so damn much.

Rahk

I've already watched it all, but that's cool. Production values are pretty rough at the beginning but starts picking up and I enjoyed a lot of it more than B&GITC.

I just finished B&GITC.
And have now watched a couple episodes of Aloha State.

I guess they thought that moving the show would increase international appeal. But so far it mostly lacks both the charm and cultural window aspects of the series set in Tokyo.

Several of the cast seem like they'd be far more comfortable speaking in English. Lauren and Eric are constantly unintentionally switching to English. On the former's part probably because she's not actually that fluent.

Cf with Arman in the Tokyo setting, where he was pretty fluently bilingual and I don't think he ever had to revert to English to convey his thoughts.

So it ends up just being a bunch of Americans thrown into a house randomly speaking Japanese even though it's not their primary language.

Maybe it gets better?

Edit: the saving grace so far is the presenters are still there to be funny and absurd.

Kurita

Yeah the season gets infinitely better after an incredibly weak start, but I agree with most of your remarks, especially regarding the setting. Hawaii is not a very exciting location to me.
New members really elevated this season though, Taishi (love him or hate him) is already one of the GOAT members imo. Like a male counterpart of Sena.
Hopefully next season will go back to Japan.

Also this season graced us with amazing comments by the whole panel. There's actually a secondary audio track where they're constantly talking over the action which makes it even more enjoyable. No subtitles available for this though (it'd be impossible to do tbh). If you can understand Japanese definitely watch the show that way.

Catvoca

Banned
Only half way through part 3 but man, fuck Taishi. How is a shitty out of work actor gonna lecture another shitty out of work actor? Especially when he's like 10 years older then him and not accomplished at all lol.

Show might as well be called Taishi House, he's the only one who gets any air time since he's constantly hamming it up for the camera too. I want to see more Aviana before she leaves 😭

Only half way through part 3 but man, fuck Taishi. How is a shitty out of work actor gonna lecture another shitty out of work actor? Especially when he's like 10 years older then him and not accomplished at all lol.

Show might as well be called Taishi House, he's the only one who gets any air time since he's constantly hamming it up for the camera too. I want to see more Aviana before she leaves 😭

I never noticed it until this part but a podcast pointed out that the show seems to focus on one character more than the others for each part. Like part 1 was Yuya or Yusuke, part 2 was completely Laura, then part 3 seems to be mostly Taishi. It seems like the show wants to show one characters arc over a certain part of the show and then moves on? IDK, seemed to become apparent once inrealized that.

RedAssedApe

Banned

at least he's made the house interesting. can't really say the same for some of the other characters. what exactly does anna do again?

dhlt25

just finished part 3 and I still don't understand the ending with guy/niki, came out of nowhere. Japanese girls really like going the longest way to show their feelings lol, reminds me of people I know.

just finished part 3 and I still don't understand the ending with guy/niki, came out of nowhere. Japanese girls really like going the longest way to show their feelings lol, reminds me of people I know.

I suspect there was a lot of them watching movies together at night and chatting that wasn't shown. They seemed fairly close even thought the shown footage only showed them hanging out a few times

Show did get better. Eric, Naomi, Yuya, Avian and Yusuke were just uninteresting. Lauren is a mess.

Still doesn't match B&GITC. I still couldn't give a toss about Hawaii.

We finally have a date for when part 4 hits netflix. September 26th.

Pretty excited, i feel like it's been ages since part 3 came out.

maxcriden

Show did get better. Eric, Naomi, Yuya, Avian and Yusuke were just uninteresting. Lauren is a mess.

Still doesn't match B&GITC. I still couldn't give a toss about Hawaii.

I like Yusuke but found everyone else dull or unlikable. So, I'm interested enough to finish the current season. Didn't realize these eps were the final set.

ALERT

THEY'RE TEASING A NEW SEASON
https://instagram.com/p/BZeKm7QhTor/

Any word on if it'll be in JP again?

Kurita

Anyone have any idea how long it'll take to binge watch S1 and S2?

S1 (BOYSxGIRLS NEXT DOOR) isn't on Netflix in the West but I think some fansub is out there. It's 98 episodes long (and a "movie" that is just a longer episode), they're around 30 minutes each.

S2 (BOYS & GIRLS IN THE CITY) is 46 episodes long, mostly keeping the 30 minutes format. Some episodes can be a bit longer.

You don't have to watch them though. You'll just don't have any background when old members make cameos/the panel talks about them but that's it.

KRaZyAmmo

S1 (BOYSxGIRLS NEXT DOOR) isn't on Netflix in the West but I think some fansub is out there. It's 98 episodes long (and a "movie" that is just a longer episode), they're around 30 minutes each.

S2 (BOYS & GIRLS IN THE CITY) is 46 episodes long, mostly keeping the 30 minutes format. Some episodes can be a bit longer.

You don't have to watch them though. You'll just don't have any background when old members make cameos/the panel talks about them but that's it.

recommend to watch S2 seeing as S1 isn't on netflix?

Kurita

Finished the season.
Weakest one for sure. Ending was sweet but that's about it.
No memorable members outside of Taishi and Gai (and Chikako to a certain extent), boring first half. Just a bad casting all around (the starting 6, ugh) + an unexciting location.
Also the last group that sticked until the end was a bunch of old people compared to previous seasons.

Next season has a low bar to cross. Going back to Japan guarantees a more interesting cast, I'm sure.

Apparently it could be in Karuizawa, per IG comments. There's also speculation it could be California.

https://www.reddit.com/r/terracehouse/comments/72dv0o/whoa_whoa_whoa_is_that_what_i_think_it_is/
Nooo please no California. Come back to Japan.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'd be fucking sad if it's in California. I already live here I don't wanna see the same shit I sometimes pass by lol.

Really hoping it's back in Japan.

Yeah I'm kind of leaning towards the less westernized they are the better. With the occasional westernined guy or girl thrown in to shake things up like Armen. Also I know they try and get pretty people but...having them all be wannabe models and actresses is a bit much. I waver though.

If it's California, I'll bet it's in Torrance. If so, I'll totally try to find and swing by the house.

get on someone's instagram lol

Pein

Banned
So nobody has sex on this show? I just watched the first episode and none of this turns into romantic hi jinks down the road?

RedAssedApe

Banned
So nobody has sex on this show? I just watched the first episode and none of this turns into romantic hi jinks down the road?

Did you watch last season where the house reacted to hand holding on the first date as if they fucked? Lol (slightly exaggerating but the guys were like whoaaaa no wayyy)

The difference in culture is what makes the show for me. If you want to watch a show where everyone is just hooking up with each other you aren’t going to get that here.

Pein

Banned
Did you watch last season where the house reacted to hand holding on the first date as if they fucked? Lol (slightly exaggerating but the guys were like whoaaaa no wayyy)

The difference in culture is what makes the show for me. If you want to watch a show where everyone is just hooking up with each other you aren’t going to get that here.
I’ve never watched this series before but jeez you’d think they pair off at least lol

Rahk

Most Japanese people are unwilling to do as much as hold hands unless they're formally in a relationship. Certainly not going to see them
(with some exceptions)
pair off for sex until they've had several dates and decide if they like each other or not, especially on TV lol.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Excited for the new season and hoping it's in Japan.
Also agreed that AS was much weaker than the previous season and the first batch of members was pretty bad for the most part. Once everyone swapped it started getting interesting.
AS gets points for Chikako and Gai though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom