• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GPD XD Handheld Android Console

Interesting. Will be interesting to see how well it does performance & battery-wise with rockchip x android.

Pyra should be coming out this year too, but that'll be a lot more expensive.

redlemon

It strongly definitely seems to be the closest the Chinese manufacturers have gotten to producing a decent android handheld. The dpads position seems a bit to low to be comfortable though. Hard to say until people get done hands on time.

I had seen this when it was a rumor/prototype on the Dingoo City forums, glad to see that's it's coming to fruition.

I had always held off on getting one of these since each system had it's own quirks - mainly in the controls. The recent Q9 looked promising with the Saturn style dpad, but the Analog nub killed my interest.

I'm curious to see how this one pans out. My gut reaction is that this will have hinge problems given the build quality of these consoles and the use of cheaper, more brittle plastics. Heck, look how long it took Nintendo to engineer a hinge that could actually take some abuse.

mnannola

This looks nice, but being Android kills it for me. Your stuck with either emulation or android games.

I would love for something exactly like this, except for an x86 chipset that could run Steam. Put something in there that is capable of running older games at 720p on low and I would pay $3-400 for it. Call it the Backlog Annihilator.

This looks nice, but being Android kills it for me. Your stuck with either emulation or android games.

I would love for something exactly like this, except for an x86 chipset that could run Steam. Put something in there that is capable of running older games at 720p on low and I would pay $3-400 for it. Call it the Backlog Annihilator.

With an Atom x7 SoC... it would be able to play games at 720p on Xbox 360 settings. :eek:"""

With an Atom x7 SoC... it would be able to play games at 720p on Xbox 360 settings. :eek:"""

there is no market for the kind of high budget games that the 360 had. You're stuck with what can be sold at a pricepoint of "free."

so, enjoy candy crush in slightly better resolutions.

there is no market for the kind of high budget games that the 360 had. You're stuck with what can be sold at a pricepoint of "free."

so, enjoy candy crush in slightly better resolutions.

If its on Steam there is. Atom x7 is an x86 CPU. So it can runs x86 games on Steam. So 360 games.

Rich!

I really want one of these, but I'm hesitant on placing £100 down until it starts shipping and reviews come in. It looks fantastic, and would be ideal for retroarch (snes, NES, mega drive, PS1, GB, GBA, arcade, etc). I've been looking for a decent android handheld for a while, and none of them seem to be any good - but this one is promising imo

Some more photos of the release model, complete with horrendous watermarking:

GPD-XD-handheld-black-1.jpg

GPD-XD-handheld-black-3.jpg

GPD-XD-handheld-black-2.jpg

GPD-XD-handheld-black-4.jpg

Shizuka

The Vita design would be better, by who am I, it'd be better to just grab a controller for my smartphone or something.

Rich!

The Vita design would be better, by who am I, it'd be better to just grab a controller for my smartphone or something.

find me one with a good d-pad and SNES style layout with shoulder buttons that snaps onto my xperia Z2 that isn't an iomega (had one, it was shit) or gametel (own one, it's not great).

low-G

I don't think that's even remotely close to being true. I mean the x7 upcoming chips aren't even up with some mobile GPU output. You wouldn't even get some 360 multiplatform games to run at lowest settings.

Rich!

DualShock 4

right. so uh, how does that fit in my pocket? defeats the purpose entirely.

What I don't understand is why some company hasn't released a shell that's the same kind of design as a 3DS XL, with a slot on the top half for you to slide your mobile phone into. It could come with various size fittings to adapt to various models. It'd be fantastic. But every single snap on controller released so far is either too bulky or cheap shit.

I don't think that's even remotely close to being true. I mean the x7 upcoming chips aren't even up with some mobile GPU output. You wouldn't even get some 360 multiplatform games to run at lowest settings.

Of course that is true. Just check these Surface 3 videos with games such as Mass Effect 3 running at higher framerate than xbox 360 version.

RM8

It looks like a hideous 3DS knock-off. I don't like when these niche handhelds try to look like Nintendo or Sony systems, but this one is the worst offender because the lower part looks super empty and just terrible. Basically, nope.

Melpontro

I hope that Nvidia doesn't scrap the Shield Portable. I want a refresh too.
I was initially going to hold out for a Shield Portable successor but I got tired of waiting, the fact that it will probably be much more expensive than the XD was also a contributing factor though.

Veal

If it has the same dimensions of the New 3DS XL, you could feasibly use the grips made for it on this. Very tempting...

Deft Beck

I bet the main reason that there's no touch input below the screen is to avoid the wrath of Nintendo's lawyers. The device is toeing the line as it is.

Still, I like it. I've always wanted to try one of these devices.

v0yce

I bet the main reason that there's no touch input below the screen is to avoid the wrath of Nintendo's lawyers. The device is toeing the line as it is.

Still, I like it. I've always wanted to try one of these devices.

Same.

Being able to play some of my Dreamcast games on the go is really intriguing but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

Overside

Banned
Hrm, is the 720p screen really necessary at that small size?

*Watches emulator run gundam dreamcast game*

Fuck thats clean looking....

Okay, somebody give some reports on how long that 6000 mAH battery lasts.

Has anyone picked one of these up? Worth it?

With handheld NX coming next year or very soon after, I'll wait. The build quality of this looks low quality and the performance, while ok, is not quite there to warrant a purchase. It's great at emulating older consoles though I'll give it that.

Overside

Banned
With handheld NX coming next year or very soon after, I'll wait. The build quality of this looks low quality and the performance, while ok, is not quite there to warrant a purchase. It's great at emulating older consoles though I'll give it that.

Yeah thats a good point....

On the other hand, we just know somethings going to be goofy, like a 320p screen.

B4s5C

I miss my Caanoo so much sometimes. It was such a neat little machine that I would have liked to learn to code for.

This reminds me of the Pandora but without a keyboard. Pandoras seemed so cool when I was looking for a portable emulation machine.

v0yce

Yeah, I'd just want it for emulation but I'd be afraid of it crapping out after a few months.

Aru

I was thinking of bumping this thread since I ordered one yesterday. I'll wait for it to arrive here. Should probably take a month.

DizzyCrow

If you reorganize the layout a bit, that's one of the designs I would want from the handheld NX. Either that or something like the PSP Go

bbjvc

I brought one and it just arrived today, cannot really play it out as I'm still at work, but I did quickly get a feel of the buttons,

Dpad is to soft and mushy, and would be too small for most people (I got a small hand so I'm ok with the size, but I imagine people with average hand size will find it too small).

That being said, I think the Dpad is good enough if not playing fighting games.

and other than that, the buttons are pretty solid, especially the R# buttons, very clicky.

The build is ok, not bad consider it's price and spec.

I miss my Caanoo so much sometimes. It was such a neat little machine that I would have liked to learn to code for.

This reminds me of the Pandora but without a keyboard. Pandoras seemed so cool when I was looking for a portable emulation machine.

I treated myself to a Pandora a while back and it's great if you're fine with the higher price tag. It's amazing what the developers have done to optimize the hell out of everything for it considering the lower specs. I haven't been completely satisfied with some higher-end emulation (N64 doesn't seem like it's going to get much better, Dreamcast is more or less a pipe dream), but the community support the system receives makes up for it in my eyes.

The GPD XD seems pretty alright though. Any word on this thing's battery life? That seems to be what kills my interest in a lot of these. That, and I'm not big on Android for gaming purposes, but this seems pretty decent for price.

SaiyanRaoh

Any of you have have this? How's the dpad? Amazon finally has these with Prime shipping (I hate waiting)
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger based on all the videos I'm seeing on YouTube. I need some Gaf'er opinions on the dpad though.

stone drum

Neo Member
I got mine 2 days ago.

I'm in love with the device. In fact, I'm struggling to find faults with it. At first I ran into a few quirks, but they've all turned out to be permanently fixable. For instance, out of the box, the diagonals on the d pad didn't work. Then I switched the game pad to PS3 mode and the d pad started working FLAWLESSLY. I'll take more on the d pad below.

The build quality is definitely premium. Basically, it feels as high quality as a ninty handheld. In fact, in ways feels better than 3ds xl. It's heavy, the finish and materials feel very very good. Only build quality irk is the hinge is slightly too tight. It creaks but not in an alarming way, and just opening the device slower solves it. It's really a very minor quirk, and a sign that the hinge is not going to break, actually.

The controls are superb. At first, the d pad and buttons feel a tad different than Nintendo, because it's not Nintendo. But the responsiveness is on point with the d pad and buttons. These are buttons for gamers. What the d pad lacks is a strong sense of feedback. The d pad itself does feel extremely comfortable, and is very accurate and again responsive, including the diagonals. But the sense of feedback could be better, but once used to it, don't be surprised to prefer it to ninty d pads...it's that good. I'm giving the d pad a 9/10, because in actual practice, the accuracy and responsive are good even for speed runners and fighting gamers.

The other buttons have no room for complaints. Analog sticks are better than ps vitas. The resistance is more comfortable and has a softer spongier feel, while being more accurate than vitas. The other buttons are great. The trigger buttons are a bit TOO clicks though, but feel admittedly incredibly good.

Sound is great... No complaints

Screen is...jaw dropping....the colors are just gorgeous...and no ghosting. Very responsive and crisp. The screen makes games like yoshis island make my mouth water with its crispness and vivid colors.

Emulation is very solid. Anything up to snes is perfect. Sonic adventure 2 on dream cast runs at a blazing frame rate, as does many other dream cast games. Again, the screen makes games like sonic adventure 2 pop off the screen and melts my eyes.

Battery is excellent. I've gotten more than 9 hours on it playing ps1/dream cast/n64

I can't recommend this thing enough. I paid 140 for it NIB on eBay. I will be honest with you all, this is not an 140 dollar device, in hardware or its capabilities to a more retro gamer. This is more like a 200-300$ device in terms of quality, hardware, screen etc.

Does anyone have any questions for me?

CO_Andy

My XD i bought earlier this month has been stuck in Customs for over 10 days. Should get mine in the next week or two.

I hope that Nvidia doesn't scrap the Shield Portable. I want a refresh too.

I'm holding off buying a tablet in hopes of this. I considered buying the old shield aftermarket since it was discontinued. But people want so much for them. I really want a refresh.

Top Bottom