• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So when did you first hear about E3

Lunar15

I remember there was a Nintendo Power I borrowed from a friend where they had a big blowout on E3 info and the headliner was Banjo Kazooie,

an E3 blowout issue of PSM back when that magazine was still fairly new. i was obsessed with my PS1 and from then on i would always make sure to pick up the E3 special issues of all my favorite gaming magazines.

Prophane33

Definitely EGM and Gamepro back, in 95/96; of course, I remember reading about CES in Gamepro (or was it Nintendo Power?) even earlier.

As far as watching it live? Maybe since 2004, definitely by 2005. I used to take off work and/or school for it, except for my short tenure at EA. My team was between projects, so we just watched E3 stuff all day. Nowadays, due to working in academia I don't really do much in the summer anyway.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Next Generation Magazine, probably 1996 or 97, back when it was still in atlanta.

I remember vividly saying to myself "That would be so cool to go to, but i'll never get to".

I got into the industry doing an online Nintendo site (N-Sider) and I went to my first E3 in 2001.. and have gone nearly every year since.

I'm sure I read about it before '00 or '01 in mags but that's when I started to know that's where new game announcements were. I remember some of the staff on the old dreamcast site I visited talking about going and seeing the new Sega games in 2000.

psyfi

Banned
I started paying attention to gaming magazines around 1995, so probably since then? I'm not sure. I definitely remember expo coverage almost as soon as I started reading magazines, but it may have been for TGS or something else.

Hobbes211

When Fallout 3 was being announced. I didn't really start paying attention to it until around 2013 anyway. There was a long period in my life where I found out what was going on mostly through friends and
/v/

Voidwolf

I think it was around 2008 or 2009, a summer before high school when I started watching G4. I used to read EGM back in the day though, my cousin used to get them in the mail and we lived in the same building. So I was surely seeing E3's megatons every year and not realizing it.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Which ever E3 the Ocarina of Time gameplay debuted at so maybe '97? I had to put a video tape on long play and forward through six hours of it the next morning to see the UK TV gaming show 'Cybernet' which had info about E3 and footage of OoT. I can still remember being blown away seeing child Link run through Kokiri forest for the first time.

I might have read about E3 prior to that in gaming mags circa '96. Reading about people discovering it in the past few years makes me feel very, very old lol.

B0rnAsGh0st

Neo Member
1998. I worked for a company that had a booth there. I didn't make the trip, someone had to hold down the fort, but I remember the work it took leading up to it.

Fun times.

Fou-Lu

I've known about it since around 2000-2001, but I didn't really understand the point of it until I watched the conferences for the first time in 2004. That Twilight Princess reveal.

SledGod

Learned about it from Game Informer, back when their content was a little less mainstream friendly. I got the impression that it was a ridiculous sea of booth babes, free alcohol, and really out of place celebrity appearances.

Either by reading magazines back in the day 99 ish such as my beloved Playstation Official UK or PLAY OR by that UK station on the recesses of Sky, Game Network?

I feel like it was replaced by Babestation which did nothing for my young gay gamer ass.

Olinad

Neo Member
Early 2000s through magazines. I don't remember when I started watching it online though... Maybe around 2008?

The_Lump

Banned
I think it would be N64 reveal in 96? I remember a spread in a gaming magazine, can't recall which one.

First footage I ever saw from e3 though was Ocarina of Time trailer, so that would be 1998.

Damn. Nearly 20 years ago.

First e3 I got properly hyped for before hand though was 2001 with the Gamecube reveal. Early days of proper internet use for me and after the Spaceworld 2000 Zelda demo and the rumours and leaks (Project Dolphin, Starcube etc), picking up the Official nintendo magazine and seeing those close up pics of that beautiful purple box for the first time was epic. My favourite console reveal/launch by far.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
My earliest memory was back in 2001, I believe. I just entered my my junior year in high school, and I found out from my cousin about the first news of SSBM. I loved gaming back then, but I didn't follow it closely at all.

Whatever year True Crime: Streets of NY came out. I remember buying a Gamepro magazine that featured it and other games that were at E3 that year.

VanWinkle

I didn't know it was a thing until I started using the internet a lot, around 2003. I think Halo 2 MP might have been the big thing for me there. I've been very into it, though.

In México there was a tv program called "Nintendomania", which lived through the SNES and N64 era (as far as I know), and they used to show special programs about the games shown during E3, the latest that I saw were when the "Dolphin" was announced, so... around 2000?

PetrCobra

I think it was sometime in the mid 90s, in local game magazines. First they were just reports taken from foreign magazines, then at one point they started to actually attend. The reports were cool even back then, when they were just a few pages of stories and photos and some interviews.

Top Bottom