• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time |OT| Happy Endings Gone Forever More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime

Banned
LOST reference of the week was a bottle of MacCutcheon, which just so happened to appear in the same episode as Alan Dale (AKA Charles Widmore). Heh.

Medalion

Banned
Rewatching last night's ep again and I kinda had a duh doy moment... they keep telling the backstory to these characters backwards or out of order to what led up to the curse
We see Prince Charming is not really the actual Prince, forced into a loveless marriage with King MIdas' daughter, they take scenic carriage ride through woods and this is where the story converges with meeting with Snow White for the first time in an earlier episode

Great stuff

I like the Lost references and the flashbacks. This show does have potential. Too bad the ratings have been dropping after each episode.

Vlad

Rewatching last night's ep again and I kinda had a duh doy moment... they keep telling the backstory to these characters backwards or out of order to what led up to the curse
We see Prince Charming is not really the actual Prince, forced into a loveless marriage with King MIdas' daughter, they take scenic carriage ride through woods and this is where the story converges with meeting with Snow White for the first time in an earlier episode

Great stuff

I don't know if all the backstory stuff has been out of order, though. Unless I'm way off, the one with Jiminy Cricket's origin would have had to have taken place way before all the other ones, as Gepetto was still a kid.

Medalion

Banned
Sorry to hear the ratings keep dropping, and just when the show imo is getting really good, at least we'll get the full season's worth... it may even go for a 2nd season, as these ratings while dropping, if it stays in the 3.0~ range it's still way better than my fave shows ratings

The only good actor is Mr Gold/Rumpelstiltskin. He's so magnetic that everyone else isn't even wooden in comparison. They're cardboard.

Agreed, Robert Carlyle is a great actor, I don't think I've seen him in a role I haven't liked. He was great in Stargate Universe as well.

Medalion

Banned
Robert is quite good, I like he gets to play two different types of mannered characters

Kind of crazy insane and wacky Rumplestiltskin
and Mr.Gold is more refined, subtler sense of evil foreboding

Zalasta

I like how they flesh out the different plotlines in subsequent episodes, even things that seemed insignificant at first. Such as the creepy dolls that were seen in Mr. Gold's pawn shop in Cinderella's backstory turned out to be Geppetto's parents. Same with Rumplestiltskin ambushing the fairy godmother was probably due to the information he obtained from the King.

The only thing I don't care for is the ambiguity and seemingly contradiction in the fact that Mr. Gold and the Mayor may know something of the curse. We were told many times that no one should remember anything. Yet they are often working in tandem to hide important information or to prevent certain events from taking place (such as Charming and Snow White getting together), which they should have no idea of in the first place. It just seems that everything they do and have done are deliberate, as if they know a secret and are trying to protect it.

Medalion

Banned
From what I gathered, it is entirely possible their instincts are so ingrained in them, while they may not remember their Fairytale personas, certain characteristic traits of evil and deception, jealousy seep in no matter what, albeit in a different shade

Vlad

The only thing I don't care for is the ambiguity and seemingly contradiction in the fact that Mr. Gold and the Mayor may know something of the curse. We were told many times that no one should remember anything.

Well, as far as "nobody remembering anything", I never figured that applied to the Mayor. I mean, it IS her curse, after all. Why would she give herself amnesia when she'd probably much rather remember everything so she'd know exactly what she took away from everybody.

Mr. Gold, on the other hand.. perhaps he's immune to the curse, considering that he's the one who made it. He's been portrayed as the most powerful character so far, so it's not completely out of the question.

Zalasta

Well, as far as "nobody remembering anything", I never figured that applied to the Mayor. I mean, it IS her curse, after all.

Actually, according to episode 2, she obtained the curse from Rumplestiltskin. Who, before telling her what she did wrong the first time she tried to invoke the spell, stated that neither of them will remember their agreement. So we were explicitly told that no one, not even them, will retain their memories. However, they often act as if otherwise, that they somehow have more information than the others.

I think the idea of them acting inherent to their nature is interesting though, but still does not explain why they have anything to hide in regards to the "truth", since they should be oblivious to it themselves.

Medalion

Banned
I am still of the belief neither of them are aware of their Fairytale past yet...

With Emma returning, she would bring about the restoration of memory to everybody little by little if the legend is true

Vlad

Actually, according to episode 2, she obtained the curse from Rumplestiltskin. Who, before telling her what she did wrong the first time she tried to invoke the spell, stated that neither of them will remember their agreement. So we were explicitly told that no one, not even them, will retain their memories. However, they often act as if otherwise, that they somehow have more information than the others.

Well yeah, by "her" curse, I meant that she was the one who used it, even though she didn't actually make the thing. I was just assuming that she had full memory of everything. I'll have to go back and rewatch the scene where here and Rumplestiltskin discuss the curse.

Man...what an amazing episode. I really missed a lot missing the first 30 minutes...so I finally caught the whole ep tonight. The music to this show is incredible. It almost got me when he was saying goodbye to his mother.

Medalion

Banned
A new ep is one right nao, but I missed the first few mins... so I will have to catch the rebroadcast in another couple or so hours

Medalion

Banned
Sheriff Graham is such a horn dog holy shit lol

And I also wanted to say for awhile he reminded me of Chase from House and him kissing Jennifer Morrison was just intruiging

The Evil Queen and Snow white at a Funeral for her father?

The Sheriff is a Huntsman, figures

and he's dreaming about his Fairy Tale past

Mary insinuating Emma's a ho lol

Oh gawd, does everybody have to be paired up in this show?

The Evil Queen hires the Huntsmen to be a hired assassin but he obviously has heart, at least for animals he does

Dat dress

Snow white and the apples

Emma is a sucky dart player

and why is she still working at the police station again? Thought she quit

It's getting boring listening to Regina telling Emma to stop talking to people

Damn, that must've been some powerful letter

Graham is buying into the mythos way too easily lol and apparently he's the Tin Man cuz he needs to find his heart hah

Once again as usual Emma, being skeptical then is all like.. duh ok, let's do it then

Snow White blabbed whatever the Queen's secret was and that's what she can't ever forgive?

Graham got found out, not the right heart that opens something in the Queen's vault

Emma dropping some truth bombs, and Regina clocks her, CAT-FIGHT! Awww lame, over so quick

Aw snap hidden underground lair beneath the casket

Evil Queen just KALI MA'ed the Huntsman :O and now makes him her slave

Ok...looks like Regina has way more rememberance to the Fairy Tale past than previously suggested

And Graham and Emma kiss again, and more memories flood him... he remembers everything now

Queen crushes the Huntsmen's heart and Graham collapses and probably dies? Damn that was good

Episode 7 -- just watched and I'm in awe and shock and oh god I have so many feelings about this one. This one just kept delivering punch after punch. Intense. Wtf though -- they seriously just pulled of an Aeris with the Sheriff! They make us like him and kills him off just like that. Am crey. All progress just went down the drain. I'm sure there's a trope term for this -- killing off the character who knows too much.

So wait -- is Emma supposed to kiss everyone to get their memories back now? Sure hope not.

EDIT: Also, Medalion, brother, that post totally looks like a liveblog of the show. Hah! Too bad I can't do that.

That latest episodes really was amazing, probably the best since the start of the series. It was much darker than previous episodes, dropped some of the silly stuff, and was very light on Henry. I honestly don't mind him, but I think the episode benefited by him been in the background. You could kinda tell, even without knowing beforehand, that it was written by the main guys (Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz).

Also, I guess this is a contender for most eye zooms in an episode since LOST

idt1m09yVhQYR.gif

MarkusRJR

I am still recovering from the death of Graham. :(
Me too. It came out of no where. I was like "hey maybe the show is finally going somewhere good!"

Then he dies.

This episode was the best yet though. The break till the next episode is going to feel like an eternity. :'(

Me too. It came out of no where. I was like "hey maybe the show is finally going somewhere good!"

Then he dies.

This episode was the best yet though. The break till the next episode is going to feel like an eternity. :'(

January 8, 2012

Hopefully more people discover the show from now til then.

Ohwiseone

makes me sad that this show is losing Viewers, I really don't want this show to get canned.

Other than Game of Thrones, this is the only show I am truly into..

Maybe ABC will still support it, I think it being on Sunday is killing it a bit.

tirminyl

Kinda surprised to see Graham guy. They got me to like the dude and then the queen just...she is cold as ice. I guess they also stopped hinting at her knowing the past and just completely exposes it. Guess the same can be said about Mr. Gold.

Medalion

Banned
He couldn't be allowed to live because he remembered everything.

Better hope Emma doesn't kiss any more important people

Medalion

Banned
To go on straight up fantasy would be awesome but it's not that kinda show

Seems to be a popular concept to balance the real world and a fantastical world these days

In The Shepherd, the first line of the original Prince James (?) after slaying the brute is "This time, make sure I'm dead." -- I think this is foreshadowing something, hurr hurr

Also, THEORY TIME! Rumple is looking out for Charming/James/John/David and Emma and Henry the kid -- cos why?
They're all from the same bloodline!!!

Xena

I'm loving this show... I really hope it keeps it up. Was a bit skeptical on the first two episodes but it has grown on me since then.
And dang that evil *beep* who killed the hottest hunk... argh.

Show is getting better. This episode reminded me of LOST's last season when love is the way to get people remember their old life. The twist is that the queen sent them all from fairy tale land to purgatory.

Medalion

Banned
Noticed the correlation when the kid has minimal screen time, episodes are usually way way better

I think I am liking Emma a wee bit more, but she still needs better direction/motivation

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Ugh, Why did they have to Kill Graham! :( I loved him in this episode and bam out of nowhere he's dead!

This show is losing viewers? Odd, I'm really starting to dig it. This last episode was my favorite for sure. I still have the faintest hope that Graham is still alive.... (somehow, it is fantasy after all)

Medalion

Banned
Usually when quality of shows go up, viewers drop out cuz that's America at large, they don't want something good, just something dumb and predictable and comfortingly crap

SuperPac

I'd been TiVo'ing the episodes since the show began but didn't start watching it until New Year's (my wife and I were reminded by the promos during New Year's Rockin' Eve for the New Year's Day marathon). It's a week later and we watched the first 7 episodes.

It's definitely been getting progressively better as a show, but my god is the CG horrifically bad in this. I thought V was the worst CG in television but this looks way fakier. Not completely unwatchable but you definitely have to try hard to suspend the disbelief. TV show budget, so it's understandable but a bit disappointing all the same.

I'd been TiVo'ing the episodes since the show began but didn't start watching it until New Year's (my wife and I were reminded by the promos during New Year's Rockin' Eve for the New Year's Day marathon). It's a week later and we watched the first 7 episodes.

It's definitely been getting progressively better as a show, but my god is the CG horrifically bad in this. I thought V was the worst CG in television but this looks way fakier. Not completely unwatchable but you definitely have to try hard to suspend the disbelief. TV show budget, so it's understandable but a bit disappointing all the same.
CG this year on pretty much all shows has been awful.

Tonight's Episode (mild spoilers):

When we left ‘Once Upon a Time’ back in December, Regina/The Evil Queen crushed the heart of Sheriff Graham, the Huntsman in the fairytale world, because he dumped her for Emma. With Graham dead, Storybrooke needs a new sheriff, and Emma steps up to be a candidate. Also on tonight’s episode, “Desperate Souls,” we learn more about Mr. Gold (Rumplestiltskin). If you need to catch up before tonight’s episode be sure to read our ‘Once Upon A Time: ‘ recap.

If you need to catch up. Here is a good source, for good (long) recaps of all aired episodes here. Much less dry than reading a Wikipedia summary:

‘Once Upon A Time’ Pilot – Recap
‘Once Upon A Time: The Thing You Love Most’ – Recap
‘Once Upon A Time: Snow Falls’ – Recap
‘Once Upon A Time : The Price Of Gold’ – Recap
‘Once Upon A Time: The Shepherd’ – Recap
‘Once Upon A Time: The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter’ – Recap

Personally, I am not turned of by the CG - although having watched LOST, I don't think anything will ever beat that crap submarine shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom