• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time |OT| Happy Endings Gone Forever More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Ld5jP.jpg

I will continue to watch thank you very much

ryan-ts said:
The witch as mayor is so sexy and the main character is not so much, hard not to root for the bad guy.

The fairy tale parts are cringe worthy most of the time.

In Lost I was always more intrigued by the flashbacks. In OUAT I'm more invested in present day.

Both the teacher and mayor are hot but not so much their fairy tale characters.

-Babyteks- said:
I think you're being a bit sarcastic here but just in case, I think there's a difference between ruthless and heartless.

I actually really liked the scene between her and her 'Daddy' because it showed her vulnerability. The fact that she hesitated and even told him what she had to do...and the mere fact that she needed to sacrifice 'that which she loves the most' is proof that she CAN and DID/DOES love her dad. I can't wait to find out what Snow White did to her that was so bad that she absolutely couldn't let it go despite the sacrifice (I hope it's not being more beautiful than her like in the fairy tale, that would be a huge let-down). Besides she even named her kid after her dad (I'd be interested in knowing what happened to her dad in real life, and if he is also called Henry).

Anyway I started seeing her as more than just pure evil, someone who could potentially be brought back. Ruthless, definitely. Heartless, I don't think so.

Agreed, but she had been warned that the spell would do irreparable damage to her. Maybe she's kind of heartless too now even though she does seem concerned about Henry.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
fortified_concept said:
Agreed, but she had been warned that the spell would do irreparable damage to her. Maybe she's kind of heartless too now even though she does seem concerned about Henry.

Good point -
I look forward to her development.

Medalion

Banned
Lactose_Intolerant said:
The chick from house basically has one expression, the what's going on look where she wrinkles up her forehead.
That's what I've been saying... I don't think it's she can't act, it's just very poor character writing and bad directing

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Jennifer Morrison looked pretty, pretty great in both this and the first episode. Watching this makes me a little sad there isn't a Fables tv show, but the comics are still there for me to love, so I'm happy for this show to be around and become it's own thing. It's pleasant enough. As is Jennifer Morrison wearing close-fitting clothing.

^ Came here to post this.

I have high hopes for this show - was iffy after the first episode but the second really caught me on the concept.

Clevinger

I'm not really liking this. The lead girl and the little boy are terrible actors. And the art/costume design is hideous. The clothes and wigs are terrible. Snow White's wig was the worst. It looked like a black birds nest on top. And it's kind of an amazing feat, but they managed to make Lana Parrilla ugly as the Queen. All of that would be OK for me if the writing was interesting, but it's pretty boring as well.

The one thing I liked was Robert Carlyle.

I'm going to keep watching to see if it gets better, but I don't have much hope.

Medalion

Banned
This ep was much better, nice that something actually happened, reveal how Snow White and Prince Charming met, true love story, trolls, comas

Finally I get this show

But yes, limp wrist fairy dust throw was hilarious

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I'm enjoying this show quite a bit... As much as fringe fills the LOST void, this just feels... Familiar, in a very good way. (yes, I know, shared writers)...

Rinoa

Watched the first 2 eps of this silly show, it's quite fun if I turn my brain off.

Snow White with short hair reminds me of
YMwZu.jpg

The only good actor is Mr Gold/Rumpelstiltskin. He's so magnetic that everyone else isn't even wooden in comparison. They're cardboard.

Medalion

Banned
Ohhhhh Rumplestiltskin just said "precioussss"... I knew he was Gollum-y

Kills Cinderella's Fairy godmother, takes her magic wand and signs a deal with Cinderella

Wonderful

Medalion

Banned
Most unconvincing accidental pour coffee on themselves I've ever seen

Oh Jennifer, what has become of you?

Damn kid is such a terrible actor

So, is the sheriff
the big bad wolf
? Anyway, I'll keep watching for little red and the queen. It's a shame they couldn't get a better actress for Emma, her constant frown doesn't help either.

Medalion

Banned
The actress who plays Cinderella in tonight's ep reminds me of Brittany Snow

These "princes" that keep coming around... ugh, they are sometimes more clueless than the other people.

And yes, the Emma character is always having this issue where she is constantly frowning and worried, yet always does what she's told by everybody for the sake of plot... it's quite lame

I enjoy the story telling and mythos they are trying to create but Jennifer Morrison and the kid... the main protagonists of this show are a let down

Rumpelstiltskin is awesome villain

Medalion

Banned
I love the fact we keep seeing Jennifer Morrison in a hospital

House reference as far as I'm concerned

Evil Queen is a slut!

And pumpkin codename lol

Kid dropped a shoe on the stairwell... like Cinderella's glass slipper... ohhh parallels

Emma takes the Deputy role, finally a reason for her to stay and do something

Sheriff and Evil Queen affair aw snap

Good episode

This really is my favorite new show this year. It is a bit silly, but it is fun.

It is nice to see they are airing it well into December too - when most other channels seem to shy away from new eps.

Medalion

Banned
I missed the first few mins of this ep, but we have a new one tonight

Looks like the kid and his psychiatrist got trapped in a mine and now the evil queen and emma gotta save them

Jumpin' Jiminy Cricket save with the Umbrella! :O

Gat damn some of this stuff really hokey but entertaining

wtf is that thing she dropped down the shaft?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I haven't started watching this yet because I love Fables so much. Granted, I'm glad the Fables pilot that ABC ordered never appeared anywhere. It's a show that would have been much better suited for HBO or Showtime. But I still know that if I were to start watching this, I would compare it to the mostly unrelated comic series pretty harshly.

Instead I started re-reading the Fables TPBs. :) So good.

ivysaur12

Banned
Jesus.

"YOU DON'T WANT TO BE GOOD! YOU CAN'T CHANGE THIS IS THE THEME OF THE EPISODE!"

What the fuck, Once writers. We get it. I really want to like this show, but it's so heavy handed and over the top.

I missed the first few mins of this ep, but we have a new one tonight

Looks like the kid and his psychiatrist got trapped in a mine and now the evil queen and emma gotta save them

Jumpin' Jiminy Cricket save with the Umbrella! :O

Gat damn some of this stuff really hokey but entertaining

wtf is that thing she dropped down the shaft?

Snow White's Glass coffin?
Love the logo, btw

I just tuned in to this now. It's beautiful. Every single episode has tugged at my heartstrings. Everytime that key theme melody plays -- ugh. Am crey. It's as memorable as LOST's more well-know pieces already.

I'm surprised this hasn't got as much attention as it deserves. The initial trailers might have turned people off shitty CG and all -- but already, this ranks in my top 5 favorite series, and that's only going by the first four eps.

This is probably the closest show that can fill my void of LOST -- great character ensemble, solid themes (so far), flashback-of-the-week formula, and not to mention, the get-me-giddy LOST allusions.

I don't want to know how it's rating -- it might depress me. But I hope it does well enough to afford themselves better CG and more seasons in the future.

Medalion

Banned
I just tuned in to this now. It's beautiful. Every single episode has tugged at my heartstrings. Everytime that key theme melody plays -- ugh. Am crey. It's as memorable as LOST's more well-know pieces already.

I'm surprised this hasn't got as much attention as it deserves. The initial trailers might have turned people off shitty CG and all -- but already, this ranks in my top 5 favorite series, and that's only going by the first four eps.

This is probably the closest show that can fill my void of LOST -- great character ensemble, solid themes (so far), flashback-of-the-week formula, and not to mention, the get-me-giddy LOST allusions.

I don't want to know how it's rating -- it might depress me. But I hope it does well enough to afford themselves better CG and more seasons in the future.

I don't know how its fairing in ratings, but it must be good cuz the show was given a full season's order of eps earlier of 22~ eps

The show has potential but I still remain unconvinced by the 2 main characters of Emma and th little boy

The hell? Am I the only one who thinks the child playing Henry acts well? He's appropriately, convincingly child-like with just the right "cuteness" to balance the out-of-this-worldness of the fairytale theory.

On another note, I just caught up till the latest ep.

The Hatch just got real.

The hell? Am I the only one who thinks the child playing Henry acts well? He's appropriately, convincingly child-like with just the right "cuteness" to balance the out-of-this-worldness of the fairytale theory.

On another note, I just caught up till the latest ep.

The Hatch just got real.

I like the way he plays, but I cannot stand his pronunciation of most words.

DrEvil

Speaking of LOST allusions, did anyone see the Apollo bar in that last episode? Made me smile.

Came here to post this. There's been a few LOST Easter eggs this season, loving this show even more because of it :)

Wife dragged me into this show. I like the concept but the writing and acting is holy shit level bad.

Stuff I think they should've done:

1) Considering they're planning on running this for a long time, they should've played the "real life" part straight, and have you start doubting the kid and wondering if he's making it all up. Instead, they made the mom and her ploys over-the-top evil.

2) The movie Running Scared is a good example of a fairy tale existing in the modern/real world. Should've taken a cue from that for tone, etc.

3) Not made Rumplestilskin so impy. I like Mr. Gold's character, but Rumpy is a little too silly. Would've been cool to see him more menacing.

4) Avoid nasty women stereotypes about stealing husbands and being jealous to the point of murder.

Just got around to seeing the last ep. Was watching the Gophers basketball game on Sunday. Anyhow, one of the better eps of the season so far. Still waiting for a HOLY SHIT OMG great ep but none of these have been stinkers. Mary Margaret Blanchard is so hot. Really enjoy her character too. As already mentioned...loved the Lost reference. =) So, uh what was at the bottom of the hole?

Medalion

Banned
I believe this show is capable of having a holy shit great episode, there are elements in each ep if somehow combined smartly, COULD deliver, but I think the show needs time to grow and find its feet... in particular they gotta make the two other lead characters stronger, or else this thing will never work.

Fucking Jimmy Johns took over an hour to deliver, so I missed the first 30 minutes. Bastards. At least I got the subs for free after complaining I'd take my business elsewhere. At first the guy offered me a 5 dollar credit...yeah no. Anyhow, Ep has been good from what I've seen. Oh shit, dude just changed his mind.

DrEvil

So, Charles widmore is charmings father, and Ella and snow white drank some mccutcheon's whiskey, another prop / nod to LOST.

Love it.

Great episode from what I saw of it. Will have to watch the whole ep on ABC's site. Damn, I missed McCutcheon? Awesome!

Preview prediction:
My guess is the Sheriff dies.

Medalion

Banned
Good start so far, the tale of Prince Charming about to defeat a dragon for King Midas, and turns his sword into gold, nice

Just figured out, Jane Espenson writes on this show, she worked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, no wonder this show is kinda got that surreal feeling for me

Ah Rumplestiltskin gets in EVERYWHERE these days

oh snap a twin brother charming

Wow this is getting good, that dragon looks pretty damn good for television

LOL he just keeps coming :D

Very strong writing and acting almost all the way through

I can already honestly say this is the best ep of the show I've seen so far

This is the episode I can say made me a believer in this show. This show very well could be the next Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel.

1) Considering they're planning on running this for a long time, they should've played the "real life" part straight, and have you start doubting the kid and wondering if he's making it all up. Instead, they made the mom and her ploys over-the-top evil.

At first, this was also my exact thought -- something like that could've added another layer of mystery to the whole story. But basing on the first 6 episodes, there are other overarching mysteries that can very well be the yet-to-be-fleshed-out mythology of the entire show. I'm still waiting to see if the
glass coffin under the mining facility (a.k.a. The Hatch)
will be of any huge significance relative to the curse myth. Which leads me to this theory:
The glass figures/totems (?) in Gold's pawnshop like that of Red Riding Hood's in the "Real World," are actually made of the glass coffin of Snow White -- which can somehow "bring them back." hurhur

Also, "I hope you find what you're looking for."

Medalion

Banned
This latest ep was so great because all the other characters imo stepped up their game, especially the David/Prince character. I even wasn't that annoyed by Emma nor the little kid, granted he wasn't even in the show much is probably why. Hopefully a few more eps like this one, and this show could fill the void of the missing sci-fi/fantasy lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom