• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

hEist

"finished" it the last night. was a great experience, specially integrating the player into the story. well, somehow i thought, that only mm could do this thing.

only need to get the last 3 trophies, getting through the levels without dying... oh gosh...

DirtyLarry

Only when you use the right trigger. If you press the camera icon on the touchscreen it doesn't make the sound
Very good to know, thanks.
I caved in though and started playing it today. Got a bit of sunburn yesterday so decided to stay indoors today, so there it was. Awesome game thus far.

Fredrik

I think SM3DW kind of stole vita's thunder. Another GOTY contender released on a very solid but overlooked gaming console on the SAME DAY, but all the media attention goes to SM3DW. It deserves all the attention it's getting, but I wish there was more to go around.
In EU it's a bit different, Tearaway is out now and SM3DW still hasn't been released, it's releasing on... PS4 launch day :p

Number45

You know, this game more than anything else has me tempted to pick up a Wii U. It's reminded me what I used to like so much about Nintendo titles (note: not a sleight against their recent quality, I just haven't played much from Nintendo since the GC).

Lamptramp

"finished" it the last night. was a great experience, specially integrating the player into the story. well, somehow i thought, that only mm could do this thing.

only need to get the last 3 trophies, getting through the levels without dying... oh gosh...

Platinumed last night \o/ and I'm generally rubbish at platformers so I'd say you'll be fine. Though the tear without dying was a little irritating.

Start to finish (and I keep saying this) and it was simply a delightful experience. Probably my favorite game this year despite its short length.

You know, this game more than anything else has me tempted to pick up a Wii U. It's reminded me what I used to like so much about Nintendo titles (note: not a sleight against their recent quality, I just haven't played much from Nintendo since the GC).

I was thinking the very same thing this morning. Its been ages since I just "enjoyed" a game in that I was wearing a stupid grin 100% of the time.

Skyzard

Banned
This game makes me feel the way games like Mario did when I was a kid. There is just a joyful wonder and creativity that it has. In fact, when I finished the game the first thing I thought is that I want my kids to be able to play it one day and I am not even married! I also think it is the best looking game I have ever played on any system.

I recommend Gravity Daze, this game actually reminded me a lot of that. That game is my only other Vita Platinum. There are also many other great games like Persona 4, Uncharted, Sound Shapes, etc...

My GF just beat the game tonight. Wow. She doesn't play games at all really; Candy Crush is the extent of her gaming. I watched her and cheered her on right to the end, even if there were a few difficulty spikes she struggled with.

She mentioned that if I hadn't told her the end choked me up when I beat it, she might have cried when she got to the end.

Being honest, I think Tearaway was a great first hardcore, start-to-finish game for her to sink her teeth into. It's a gorgeous, whimsical experience, and I feel she really got that when she finished and said, "Now I get why you love games so much."

Gravity Rush is the EU/NA title, Gravity Daze is the Japanese title. It, before Tearaway, was my favorite PS Vita game. I hope that Gravity Rush 2 reclaims it... and then I hope they make a Tearaway 2 to take it back. And then Gravity Rush 3... etc. <3

I want a Tearaway 2 so bad. I'll think positively. :3 With the reception it's gotten, it would make a lot of sense if they tried to do another. And with the engine done, they can make it longer by reusing some assets.

Playing the game is like being a kid again. Playing SMB for the first time, or Super Mario 64 (as much as that thread got trolled, he had a point on the impact it has on players so far).

Soul Sacrifice is awesome too. You should check it out. Oh, and Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery. It's an adorable puzzle adventure game like Professor Layton, with amazing art design, great voice acting and characters. It's indie, and I believe just $3! (it's also on mobile, but it runs flawless on PS Vita.. plus trophies~)

Yeah, even if the sales aren't what they should be, I could see Sony funding a sequel as it's a critical darling and a real feather in the vita's cap. Certainly making me look twice at the system.

That feeling you describe is really special. It's the rare game that does it, but when it does there's nothing quite like it. It's not really feeling like a kid, although you feel it most readily when you are one. Mario 64 and Yoshi's Island made me feel that way when I was young, but so did Shenmue, KOTOR, and most recently 3D World. I think it's a combination of deep immersion plus the sense of discovery waiting all around you.

Tearaway seems to evoke that feeling in spades and I can't wait to dig into it some day soon.

Really awesome impressions to read.

I know what you mean, it sort of cemented my decision not to skip a Wii U this gen.

Sky Chief

Haha I was thinking the same thing! Tearaway is the Wii U killer app, lol!

dreamfall

I don't know if it's the hazy lack of sleep, but two hours in and I'm completely blown away.

Like holy goodness- the creativity, the platforming with the touchscreen, the colors... I feel like I'm on a trip or something!

It's utterly wonderful. But I've got to close my eyes! This game is unlike anything I've played. And it's remarkable- I hope it doesn't end too soon!

For any other Gamefly types, they're having a $5 discount sale for Thanksgiving.

If you're like me and have one of their $5 coupons as well, you can do like me and keep this puppy for $22.

Mik3F

Finished this the other day and have been going through the levels again getting 100%

Sad that it is done and dusted now, one of the most enjoyable platinum trophies I have achieved

muteki

General question: are there any unlocks/is there any benefit to getting 100% collectibles other than Trophies?

I'm about halfway through, and I'm going back every few levels and 100%'ing each one, but would like a bit more to look forward to than just trophies.

VanWinkle

Just finished. One of the best, most creative and enjoyable games I've ever played. And I was surprised by just how much genuine platforming was in it. Some of it pretty difficult!

So I have the preordered tearaway avatar in my download list on the vita, but is says "cannot download using a psvita system". And I see no way of finding these downloads on my PS4. Is there anyway to download this avatar?

Doesn't it come with a 4gb card?

No, I bought the same bundle. It came today, no memory card included and it says in tiny letters on the back of the box "To play games, a memory card for the PS Vita System is needed". Pretty shitty move if you ask me. Now I have a new system and game sitting in front of me and can't even play it...

chadskin

Finished it a few minutes ago. I'm a little disappointed that it ended when it just became really, really great, with the higher difficulty and all. I could've played it for a few more hours at least. Which is also a testament to Mm's achievement in keeping the gameplay fresh throughout the whole game.

Only small complaint I have is the lack of any real boss fight.

When and where can I pre-order Tearaway 2, please?

Flipyap

I'm sure it's been done before, but man, infringing copyright has never been so fun!

mEmtq2W.jpg
l3iYbjL.jpg

And a proud king's new crown:

CodNNKD.jpg

depward

Weird bug (?) but the back of the system wouldn't respond. Had to do a complete restart of the system for it to work.

Now, that being said - one small hiccup in a beautiful, gorgeously well done and engrossing game.

sn00zer

Weird bug (?) but the back of the system wouldn't respond. Had to do a complete restart of the system for it to work.

Now, that being said - one small hiccup in a beautiful, gorgeously well done and engrossing game.

I had this issue in the demo...if your back screen gets scratched while you are playing it can f' everything up...restarting the Vita though seems to rezero everything

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it doesn't end too soon!

Don't worry. A lot of reviews have been saying it's too short, but it's the perfect length imo. They're probably looking at it from the typical "bang for buck" standpoint, but when you're truly immersed in a world like this one, you forget all about that. I kept thinking I was nearly reaching the end, and not wanting it to be over, but by the time it was... it was perfect. I didn't need another second.

I'm sure it's been done before, but man, infringing copyright has never been so fun!

mEmtq2W.jpg
l3iYbjL.jpg

And a proud king's new crown:

CodNNKD.jpg

Fantastic work on the Prince! And the dunce crown made me laugh. Bloody squirrels and their bad sportsmanship...

Finished this last night in bed, and I'm gonna tag my impressions about the ending, because sometimes when I read other impressions (even without going into content details) I sometimes feel a bit spoiled. Note that I do mention some content here, so don't read unless you've finished it.

I often read about "dem feels" and how people shed a tear/get bleary eyed/etc. at points in a game, and often it sounds to me like hyperbole. I've gone "Wow" and been speechless at times with games, and had some that tugged at the old heartstrings, but never had an actual game experience make me cry.

I saw similar responses about Tearaway, and thought "Well, that's it. I'll never be able to embrace this ending properly now because I've got these sobbing wankers in the back of my mind." At times like that, I scold myself for reading too much of an OT before finishing a game I'm truly enjoying.

But with Tearaway... My goodness. That last stretch towards the finale, all the way to the end, my heart was racing. It was like that bittersweet ache that happens when you know you're about to say goodbye to someone special. I was amazed at how surreal some of those final sections were, and how it blended the real world with the game world. That juxtaposition made the game world and what Iota had gone through that much more meaningful. By the time I was done reading "The Message", I had to blink the tears out of my eyes in order to see the credits!

I tend to look at games with a more analytical view and their emotional bits don't usually get to me. I'm not emotionally stunted or anything, and I don't think there's any baggage that Tearaway would have triggered, but something about it got through big time. I haven't felt anything remotely similar since finishing Grim Fandango. I knew it had to end, but just didn't want it to.

Bravo, MM.

VanWinkle

About the length, it was way longer than I thought it would be, having heard the complaints about it. I'd say it was at least 8 hours for me, with some exploration and whatnot.

Elvick

Banned
General question: are there any unlocks/is there any benefit to getting 100% collectibles other than Trophies?

I'm about halfway through, and I'm going back every few levels and 100%'ing each one, but would like a bit more to look forward to than just trophies.
Well, you get more papercraft plans and with all the confetti (not really all, since you have left overs) you can unlock more pre-set stuff to customize your messenger with.

If you don't use a guide, then taking the pictures of all the whited out stuff really helps you to appreciate the game's art design even more. :p

Otherwise, not really.

So I have the preordered tearaway avatar in my download list on the vita, but is says "cannot download using a psvita system". And I see no way of finding these downloads on my PS4. Is there anyway to download this avatar?
Sadly, you can't use premium avatars on PS Vita or PS4. Well, *use* isn't the right word... but you can't set them.

Unfortunately the way they're done is stupid, like the old online pass system. Where you'd have to download something for it. The newest versions would just attach to your ID.

I really hope they go through and change avatars to do that as well, but it'd be work to retroactively do such a thing, but they really need to.

You can do it from a PS3 with the avatars on them. Otherwise, I don't know how you do it. I'm not sure that you can on the websites either.

Finished this last night in bed, and I'm gonna tag my impressions about the ending, because sometimes when I read other impressions (even without going into content details) I sometimes feel a bit spoiled. Note that I do mention some content here, so don't read unless you've finished it.

I often read about "dem feels" and how people shed a tear/get bleary eyed/etc. at points in a game, and often it sounds to me like hyperbole. I've gone "Wow" and been speechless at times with games, and had some that tugged at the old heartstrings, but never had an actual game experience make me cry.

I saw similar responses about Tearaway, and thought "Well, that's it. I'll never be able to embrace this ending properly now because I've got these sobbing wankers in the back of my mind." At times like that, I scold myself for reading too much of an OT before finishing a game I'm truly enjoying.

But with Tearaway... My goodness. That last stretch towards the finale, all the way to the end, my heart was racing. It was like that bittersweet ache that happens when you know you're about to say goodbye to someone special. I was amazed at how surreal some of those final sections were, and how it blended the real world with the game world. That juxtaposition made the game world and what Iota had gone through that much more meaningful. By the time I was done reading "The Message", I had to blink the tears out of my eyes in order to see the credits!

I tend to look at games with a more analytical view and their emotional bits don't usually get to me. I'm not emotionally stunted or anything, and I don't think there's any baggage that Tearaway would have triggered, but something about it got through big time. I haven't felt anything remotely similar since finishing Grim Fandango. I knew it had to end, but just didn't want it to.

Bravo, MM.
That's why
I really really really want to do some papercraft and bring iota into our world. He's just kind of gone... and that makes me sad, but I can bring him back. I think that was genius, it really pushes the papercraft thing they were aiming for with that message. And not in an annoying way, but in a "I want to do this and see my friend again".

I mean we've been through so much! :p

Edgeward

I'm sad now.

the game ended. I want more.

The ending was a real treat. Very charming, effective and from the heart. I hope there is a sequel and the next game has more awesome platforming like in the last level.

Mii

Banned
This game packed more creative energy in than every Nintendo game of the last 10 years.

This game proves the platformer genre can still be relevant in this day and age.

This game better at least win game soundtrack of the year and a few GOTY nominations.

You can only knock this game's length. Everything else is perfect.

genbatzu

Amazon Cybermonday
[IMG.]http://abload.de/img/dsadsadasdasdv9on2.jpg[/IMG.]

yesterday they gave 18% discount, so instead of 169&#8364; something around 138&#8364; if it is the same.
however, yesterday the offer was 100% reserved after ~10seconds

dsadsadasdasdbzklr.jpg

3rd day in a row this offer appears, I think it will be -18% again and gone in 10seconds

Velcro Fly

Just played the demo and it seems to be the kind of game I've been looking for lately. Just something fun that doesn't have to be super intense. Maybe for Christmas :3

Elvick

Banned
Do I need to start a new game if I want to switch to Iota? The hair on Atoi ruisn whatever customizing plans I have.
I think that's the only way, at least I didn't find a way to switch between them. And I tried, since I wanted to check out Atoi in game.

Foshy

Beat it yesterday evening. What a game.

The last time a video game ending made me feel so happy was Journey.

The credits are LOOONG though, wtf. I thought I heard someone say that a 15-people team at Mm made this, but they just kept scrolling and scrolling and listing random Sony people lol

Elvick

Banned
Beat it yesterday evening. What a game.

The last time a video game ending made me feel so happy was Journey.

The credits are LOOONG though, wtf. I thought I heard someone say that a 15-people team at Mm made this, but they just kept scrolling and scrolling and listing random Sony people lol
Development isn't the only thing that goes into creating games. Marketing, legal, tons of crap. Plus there's different people in different regions doing the same job.

lol no, not in the year of Pikmin 3, SM3DW and ALBW.

Strongly disagree. Yay opinions.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This game packed more creative energy in than every Nintendo game of the last 10 years.

Sure thing soldier...

Why this bickering in a time when we have A Link Between Worlds, Tearaway and Super Mario 3D World to enjoy in the same month? :)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
lol no, not in the year of Pikmin 3, SM3DW and ALBW.
I'm sure that those games are really creative gameplay-wise, but even if their gameplay is as creative as tearaway(or even more) just the fact that tearaway has never seen before original characters and a "real" paper world(not just a 3d world with some 2d elements like paper mario) alone makes tearaway superior creative-wise imo.

Fabrik

Banned
I'm sure that those games are really creative gameplay-wise, but even if their gameplay is as creative as tearaway(or even more) just the fact that tearaway has never seen before original characters and a "real" paper world(not just a 3d world with some 2d elements like paper mario) alone makes tearaway superior creative-wise imo.

Do we really have to compare everything?
But the statement in the previous page is just trolling. The last ten years...right. SMG is 2007.

Top Bottom