• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biggest Regrets in Life.

Blam

Personally it's passing up now on 4 cryptocoins since I couldn't trust my own good predictions.

If you're wondering what I passed up on. Bitcoin (7 times now). Bitcoin Cash (2 times), Monero (30$ to 90$), and now just today Ripple which went from (0.0006$ to 0.23$).

I regret it so much, but I keep watching and telling people what to buy then they don't listen to me and see I wasn't joking.

So GAF what are your biggest regrets?

Dynomutt

These threads can be so depressing...

This is the number one rule for your set
In order to survive, gotta learn to live with regrets
On the rise to the top many drop, don't forget
This is the number one rule for your set
And through our travels we get separated, never forget

cwmartin

Eh, crypto is just a whole speculation market. Don't beat yourself up. Sia, Ripple, Eth, its literally only as useful as the applications built upon it. And right now, its just pure speculation. I got caught up in it for a while too, but its not worth the trouble honestly.

CazTGG

If I recall, most people thought Bitcoin was going to be a fad at the time due to cryptocurrency being a relatively new concept.

As for my regrets, I suppose not waiting a few weeks to get my laptop since the Nvidia 10XX laptop line was being released?

bosseye

Not going out with Amy Waddington when she asked me when I was 16. Man, I could have got my wriggle on. I said no because I was a completely immature nobhead. Considering my obsession with sex at that age, a functional teenage girl throwing herself at me should have been an obvious win.

What was I thinking.

Blam

Eh, crypto is just a whole speculation market. Don't beat yourself up. Sia, Ripple, Eth, its literally only as useful as the applications built upon it. And right now, its just pure speculation. I got caught up in it for a while too, but its not worth the trouble honestly.

Yes but dropping 1000$ on Ripple would have made me 363K or even 100 dollars would have been 36K.

I'm not beating myself up because I already did that with bitcoin just pissed that I don't follow my gut..

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Couldn't save my marriage. Spent far too much of my life drunk and disorderly and blacked out. I work as a lawyer which is a job I hate but I still owe the government tens of thousands for it.

Life is kind of shit wall-to-wall. I kind of expected a more depressing OP than "I lost the equivalent of $5000" because money is just money.

Yes but dropping 1000$ on Ripple would have made me 363K or even 100 dollars would have been 36K.

I'm not beating myself up because I already did that with bitcoin just pissed that I don't follow my gut..
You would have sold way earlier and regret that. No way you'd have stuck it out through the ups and downs over the years.

Sness

Banned
Mine are more around my laziness as opposed to bad decisions. I think things would have been much, much easier if I had put my head down and got great marks in high school. It would have opened doors and given me nearly unlimited options. Second to that would be attending a community college - wish I'd gone to a legit University, or nothing because that's about what college is worth these days.

Peltz

Worrying about my failures so much. At the time, some of them seemed so horrible, but in hindsight, none of them had any lasting negative impact on my life.

FairyD

The waiter asked if I wanted soup or salad. I choose the salad. To this day I still wake up in the middle of the night thinking about that soup.

Raptomex

I should have bought TWO copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy when it released so I could have a new copy unopened. That and the fear thing posted above.

Kind of wish I made a better choice early in college. When I started community college I didn't know what I wanted to do so I went Liberal Arts and tried a few subjects. Now I definitely want to go into Computer Science and will transfer to a completion degree program at a 4 year school but only around 40ish of those credits transfer to it. I also wish I did more research early on regarding 4 year schools I.E. planning where I was going on advance and only taking courses that would transfer.

Earlier regrets in life would be that I kind of wish I went to public school instead of getting homeschooled. I feel like I missed out on social opportunities and am a pretty big introvert at this point in my life although it's possible that would have happened regardless. Also, wish I got involved with some sort of sport or worked hard and joined my college track team when I started here.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Not working harder in school.

I used to blame all sorts of things for not doing well in school. Things like crappy teachers, unfair amounts of schoolwork, bad instructions, and so on. While those complaints may have been valid, the truth is that if I just sucked it up and actually worked harder like so many other students, I could have overcome all that stuff, and probably would have a better job than what I have now.

It's my fault. I just didn't want to admit it to myself at the time. It's not that my current job is that bad, but I think I could have done better.

For people who say there are other fish in the sea.

They are wrong

Nah son, this is one thing I firmly stand by. There truly are plenty of fish in the sea. That's something you gotta remember.

7.4 billion people on Earth. Why cry over someone who doesn't want you when you could be mouth harassing a hamburger instead?

Blam

You would have sold way earlier and regret that. No way you'd have stuck it out through the ups and downs over the years.

Haha I would have. I might have sold a few but I would have never of sold all of them at once. I probably would have sold and bought more when it dropped.

MedIC86

But isnt that with all things in hindsight? if i bought 5000 dollar of apple stock in 2004 etc etc...

also could be worse, a friend of mine has a bitcoin wallet with 7 in it but he does not know the password anymore...

Had a girl I had a huge crush on for YEARS in high school. We were very close, lots of flirting, lots of sexual "dreams" (fantasies) about each other that we'd share... But she had a long term BF.

They broke up, and I jumped right in and invited her over to my house that weekend. We were lying in my bed watching a movie, and she sent every possible sign to me that she wanted to make out/fool around. Literally pushing her ass into me, unbuttoning her cardigan and showing off her cleavage, puckering her ilps... In hindsight it was absolutely ridiculous how much she wanted something to happen.

I didn't make a move. We finished the movie, I drove her home, and afterwards on the phone she straight out told me that she wanted it, but that "we have time".

Like two days later she got back with her long term boyfriend. She's now a pretty popular cosplayer with 60k Instagram followers. We still stay in touch here and there.

Fuuuckk.

Blam

But isnt that with all things in hindsight? if i bought 5000 dollar of apple stock in 2004 etc etc...

also could be worse, a friend of mine has a bitcoin wallet with 7 in it but he does not know the password anymore...
I mean he has it to bruteforce at least.

Also this was just 3 days ago. Much less of a timespan.

dcelw540

Had a girl I had a huge crush on for YEARS in high school. We were very close, lots of flirting, lots of sexual "dreams" (fantasies) about each other that we'd share... But she had a long term BF.

They broke up, and I jumped right in and invited her over to my house that weekend. We were lying in my bed watching a movie, and she sent every possible sign to me that she wanted to make out/fool around. Literally pushing her ass into me, unbuttoning her cardigan and showing off her cleavage, puckering her ilps... In hindsight it was absolutely ridiculous how much she wanted something to happen.

I didn't make a move. We finished the movie, I drove her home, and afterwards on the phone she straight out told me that she wanted it, but that "we have time".

Like two days later she got back with her long term boyfriend. She's now a pretty popular cosplayer with 60k Instagram followers. We still stay in touch here and there.

Fuuuckk.

It's just a girl. And everything happens for a reason :)

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I wish that a woman and I hadn't wasted our twenties on each-other. I'm sure she feels the same.

But really, I just wish that I had been nicer to people. More thoughtful.

Midas

Oh, sorry for your friend. But you're correct, I take a look at my portfolio and think; what if I did this, all the time. But wtf, it's just money. As long as you're not in debt...

Lunaray

Should have spent more time in college making friends and just interacting with people and not fixating over unimportant busywork. Graduated Magna Cum Laude but I don't feel any sense of nostalgia or sentimentality towards my alma mater.

Ăśbermatik;246736920 said:
Past ~4 years of my life. Not realising who I was soon enough. Not being around the right people. Not pushing myself.

Etc., etc.

I kinda hope I do get to that point, because I do feel like I'm not at the point where I'm fully in tune to who I am and what I want to do. I mean I know I'll be kicking myself for all the time before that but hopefully I'd feel more fulfilled and purposeful.

Anth0ny

focusing so hard on school to the detriment of relationships, making friends, having fun when young and ignoring my dreams.

now i have a fucking university education but no friends. in a field I have no interest in working. pretty much feel regret every day I wake up. it's shitty.

Should have spent more time in college interacting with people and not fixating over schoolwork.

yup!

Didn't know what I wanted to do as a career so I just picked Biomedicine as a degree. Fast forward to now and I realized I actually enjoy web development and there's more jobs in that area. I should have done CS instead.

I wish I went out with this hot Spanish girl in my class, and also I should have studied abroad. I turned an opportunity to study in the US down because I thought it would cost too much.

Buying a black Vita and missing out on this:

WNpgLYi.jpg

Not getting the chance to see my friends as much as I could, or going outside & playing around because I was more concerned with random conversations. Sometimes childhood passes you by.

Air

Banned
It's only a regret if you choose not to learn from your experience so I'm always trying to improve on myself and not make the same mistakes twice.

Not getting into or studying art. I've always been a super creative person with a vivid imagination, but I gave up on drawing at a young age because of my declining health. If things had been different I'd almost certainly be an artist by now. It's too late to start over now though.

gwarm01

When your head tells you one thing and your gut tells you another, listen to your gut. My head has led me astray more often than I'm willing to admit.

Top Bottom