• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here avoid killing bugs?

LakeEarth

Ants, spiders, moths, or mosquitos, no problem. Anything big enough to make a squishing noise, no thank you. Time to bust out the vacuum.

I try to do my best to respect all living things. But if I feel like it might pose any kind of threat then my primal instincts kick in and it goes smoosh.

I do free their spirits after with a prayer so they dont haunt my dreams.

Certain bugs, totally.
Spiders, bees (but fuck wasps and hornets), and mantises get a free pass any time I see them inside. The bee's are typically right at a window anyway, so I just let them out. The spiders can stay wherever they feel like; haven't been bitten yet and they're awesome to have around during mosquito weather. Mantises I typically just bring back out to the woods/garden; too afraid I might accidentally kill it if its just wandering around inside.

Ants get killed... Plain and simple. Had a carpenter ant infestation at the appartment I grew up in that left some real bad blood between me and ants. Don't feel like taking the chance again; but even still I prefer to use traps rather than just go around crushing them.

Anything else I'll typically try to let out, but if they won't go that's on them...

jph139

Yeah, for sure. Bugs are gonna bug. They've got their own ecosystem and it's not my place to fuck with it.

If I'm seeing anything abnormal, or in unusual quantities, it's probably my fault for leaving food laying around or not cleaning well enough. Can't fault the little guys for taking the shot of I'm the one giving it to them.

Hanso

I avoid it as my whole body gets goosebumps when I hear or feel the shell crack. I can't stand that noise but when I feel it while stepping on one I could start vomiting anytime.

Fucking disgusting.

But other than that I try to save those fuckers especially spiders. Only mosquitoes I kill because these assholes attack me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I kill wasps, mosquitos, black widows, and brown recluses. And ants if there is a group.
That's it.
I'd kill roaches but I never see them.

Depends upon the bug.

Daddy long-legs are fine if they don't get too expansionist. A rare beetle is OK to do its thing. Everything else needs to GTFO within a pretty reasonable probation period or else gets squashed.

Mosquitos have earned nothing but seething hatred. As an insomniac, getting to sleep can be tough, and I'm easy to wake up -- the worst possible sound is that fucking mosquito buzz in the ears -- wakes me up, sends me on a single-minded hunter-killer program until the thing is dead, and then I'm awake for the next few hours. If I could wipe out the whole damn species I wouldn't have to think twice.

No roaches or ants ever at my place luckily, otherwise there would be war.

ChanMan

It really depends what type of bug and funny enough I have a ladybug just chilling in my apartment somewhere. I can't bring myself to kill those and Lightning bugs.

W-00

Generally, yeah, I try to avoid killing bugs.

Except fruit flies. Fruit flies infested a banana plant I'm raising. Fruit flies are the enemy. They didn't care about the layer of sand I added (since removed). They didn't care about the apple cider vinegar/dishsoap trap I set out (the outside ones, anyways; the flies inside the house dove right in). Sprinkling cinnamon around the plant worked for a little while, but it seemed like I'd've had to keep reapplying every day for it to stay effective and I didn't want to use that much cinnamon. So then I had to drive them insane with neem oil. They forced me to.

They're gone now.

TaterTots

Banned
Depends on the bug. If I spot a roach or something similar its dead. If a cricket gets in then I try to take it out. I'm a big proponent of spiders now.

Bugs: no, never. Humans on the other hand...

I once rescued a gnat from my glass of water and dried it out on my finger tip by blowing on it for half an hour. I felt awesome when it flew away. Must be what doctors feel like :D

Korigama

Ladybugs, yes. Flies only if close enough to a door or window, won't go out of my way for them. I occasionally ignored spiders, but now lean toward killing them on sight ever since one bit me. These are indoor policies, and even then, I prefer to never see anything around to kill anyway.

If outside, then I conclude that they have just as much place being there as I do.

blanchot

there is an ongoing war in my home being fought. me vs the cockroaches and i honestly dont think i will win. kill one and two appear.

there is an ongoing war in my home being fought. me vs the cockroaches and i honestly dont think i will win. kill one and two appear.

giphy.gif

Fbh

I kill flies , mosquitoes and spiders . 2 of them are annoying, the others are spawns from hell

I avoid killing all other bugs and try to bring them outside.

Really depends on the bug.
Mosquitos die when I can kill them.
Wasps die if they don't stop messing with me.
Most bugs throw away their life by entering my room (flies, I usually just shoo outside)

Bees are my friends and I often have to stop myself from petting them when watching flowers.

I once killed a particularly annoying wasp by boiling a liter of water, then throwing it over that little freak. Any means necessary.

Phu

Banned
Depends on the bug.

Last week I took the time to get a mantis out of the way of my lawnmower. Last year I went scorched earth on a colony of ants that kept getting in my house.

I avoid killing them when possible. If I'm outside and see a line of ants for example, I'll step over them. If I see a bug in my house, I'll catch it and release it outside if it's catchable, but if it's a very fast or hard to catch bug I'll kill it. I don't like bugs in my house, so they gotta go one way or the other, so if they're slower they can be set free :)

Oh, but I aggressively purge wasp nests in my yard/around my home, and mosquitoes get insta-swatted.

hoserx

I'll try to save anything I can within reason. Biting black flies though..... I have no mercy. They attack me, I will fight back. Spend a week backpacking in the Adirondacks or Vermont, any time between late April and mid June and you'll understand.

Schlorgan

I do. If I find a bug in the house I try to pick it up gently with a tissue and put it outside.

As long as it doesn't attack me, I put in the effort.

Foffy

Banned
The bug has as much right as you to exist, if we're talking naturalistically.

Just get the bug out of the environment if it's hostile or a problem.

I often open my bathroom window to let bugs I find out of the house, as I know my mom would just straight up kill them. :(

slider

I don't really get anything here apart from spiders. I'll scoop them up and put them outside. Ordinarily, I'd probably leave them (accepting that webs could be a problem). But my nearly four year old claims to be scared of them so will watch me pick them up and get rid.

Madness

Yep. The older I have gotten and the more I realize what life really is in the grand scale of the universe, your life doesn't matter any more than the spider you are killing. So I have been capturing and releasing bugs outside. Even a massive 3" spider jsut a few weeks ago that I won't lie I was a bit afraid to approach. Covered it with a plastic mug and then a paper underneath and took it outside. Why kill when I don't have to. I take no joy in killing anything else.

I rescue ladybugs (European) and bees... everything else I murder with gleeful abandon.

I got me one of them overpowered 4000 volts bug rackets and I'm probably the Roger Federer of bug extermination.

I try to save every bug except for crickets when they get in my house. If they didn't make constant annoying noise they could stay too.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I only kill really audacious cockroaches and mosquitos. Otherwise I either let them out or clean my house.

Top Bottom