• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Grinchy

Banned
I played some Holoball for the first time in forever and remembered how awesome the game is. I wasn't planning on playing a ton of it but I ended up doing a 1.5 hour session.

I finally beat Hard mode and I got to the final round in Expert 4 times, losing them all. The CPU hits the ball so fast in that round and it constantly hits it in the bottom left corner where I can never seem to return it.

MattAces

I played some Holoball for the first time in forever and remembered how awesome the game is. I wasn't planning on playing a ton of it but I ended up doing a 1.5 hour session.

I finally beat Hard mode and I got to the final round in Expert 4 times, losing them all. The CPU hits the ball so fast in that round and it constantly hits it in the bottom left corner where I can never seem to return it.

Holoball is fantastic, but the music and the voice gets old very fast. Good news is you can play your own music in the background. The ball is also not the most satisfying thing to hit. I'm really excited for SPARC, it's like Holoball double.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

How big of a play area do you have? I almost completely destroyed a vive controller against a wall playing the game when it first came out... does the PSVR version use a smaller play area?

MattAces

How big of a play area do you have? I almost completely destroyed a vive controller against a wall playing the game when it first came out... does the PSVR version use a smaller play area?

Pretty much the same from looking a few videos of Vive version.

Grinchy

Banned
Holoball is fantastic, but the music and the voice gets old very fast. Good news is you can play your own music in the background. The ball is also not the most satisfying thing to hit. I'm really excited for SPARC, it's like Holoball double.

Yeah definitely agreed on the music and voice. And agreed on SPARC. That game looks awesome, and it has online multiplayer.

It was kinda disappointing how the Holoball dev told the Vive community that MP was in the works, and then said the same thing to the PSVR community, and MP came to neither.

Pretty big. I don't have any measurements for you but it's by far the most space-requiring game on PSVR so far. I doubt many people with PSVR can even play it properly. The worst part is that the headset cables and camera cable are too damn short, so your setup not only needs a big play area nearby, but it has to work with the short cable lengths.

I'm actually thinking about just getting a really long HDMI cable and a really long USB cable so that I can have the breakout box really far away from the TV/PS4/Couch. Then I wouldn't feel so tethered by the crazy tension on the PSVR headset cables when standing back far enough for games like Holoball.

MattAces

Does Sparc have a single player mode or is it MP only?

They describe it as "challenge mode". Not sure if it's bot, or just "hit this ball in specific way to achieve this" tutorial.
Beyond the game's 1 vs 1 core gameplay, Sparc includes challenges for players to engage in on their own, designed to improve their skill through practice of the fundamental physical actions like throwing and deflecting. Working on the basics solo will help against real, human opponents. We think of them like batting cages for baseball or automatic ball launchers for tennis.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/06/12/fast-paced-virtual-sport-sparc-coming-to-ps-vr-in-2017/
https://youtu.be/xBbwEjAjmJ0?t=4m45s

MattAces

Hey everyone,
Another update for you on The Brookhaven Experiment AIM Controller update: We are still waiting for Sony to approve the patch that has AIM support. We ask them daily. We are sincerely SO sorry for the delay and are doing all we can to help push it along. We're hoping that it's any day now, but we're disappointed just like you that it hasn't come yet. We will update you as soon as we know anything.
Phosphor
God damn arrogant Sony strikes.

Can't wait to get out of work

PSVR and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
LAONJjP.png

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Here is the list of the games on sale. This is NA store. You will need PS+.

Chess Ultra $12.99 -> $11.69 (10% off)
Darknet $14.99 -> $10.49 (30% off)
Ghostbusters is Hiring: Firehouse $6.99 -> $4.19 (40% off)
Mortal Blitz $19.99 -> $13.99 (30% off)
Moto Racer $39.99 -> $11.99 (70% off)
Passangers: Awakening $9.99 -> $5.99 (40% off)
Tethered $24.99 -> $9.99 (60% off)
Trackmania Turbo $39.99 -> $15.99 (60% off)
Waddle Home $9.99 -> $3.99 (60% off)

Tethered is a steal at that price. Mortal Blitz is also a great game.

I am considering the games below.

I have heard good things about Darknet. I heard Passengers and Ghostbusters are very short. I read Moto Racer VR mode is fairly limited and not very good, but this is steep discount. I have no idea if Waddle Home is any good, but I might just bite at that price.

Any advice?

Did Mortal Blitz get an update to fix its sound?

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else - Playstation VR is compatible with YouTube's new VR180 videos.

Rather than a full 360 degree view, this format concentrates on what's ahead of you while still offering a level of immersion. The upshot is much higher video quality and 3D seemingly as standard.

Go to the PS4 YouTube app (ver2.03) select the VR tab and then scroll down to the small selection of VR180 videos at the bottom to try it out.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else - Playstation VR is compatible with YouTube's new VR180 videos.

Rather than a full 360 degree view, this format concentrates on what's ahead of you while still offering a level of immersion. The upshot is much higher video quality and 3D seemingly as standard.

Go to the PS4 YouTube app (ver2.03) select the VR tab and then scroll down to the small selection of VR180 videos at the bottom to try it out.

Nice! 3d is massively needed for these videos

ranmafan

Well I got my farpoint/aim bundle today and I'm so glad I went ahead and bought it when I found one on sale (also the last one the store I found that had it in Japan actually had) What a fun game so far. The aim controller really is quite cool. I know I'm going to have a fun time with it.

Oh btw, weird question and on a different topic, does anyone know whatever happened to the apollo 11 vr game release in the us? I know it was released in Europe but that's not an option for me so I've been waiting for it on the us and Japan stores yet still nothing. Anyone know what happened to that?

Joystick

When wobble gets bad, try pausing, taking the headset off and putting it on a flat surface like a coffee table for a minute. I've heard that can help.

You don't have to take it off. Keep your head VERY still for 10 seconds and you will see the screen movement freeze. Then you can move again.

Hope its some proper VR game and not some needless VR gimmick content like that lame fishing shit.

I'm actually really on board for the fishing game lol. I was thinking randomly how awesome a VR fishing game could be, and it sort of just materialized :p

If they can nail the bonding stuff, it would be a fun romp I think.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm actually really on board for the fishing game lol. I was thinking randomly how awesome a VR fishing game could be, and it sort of just materialized :p

If they can nail the bonding stuff, it would be a fun romp I think.

I've never played FFXV but the idea of chilling with my bros, fishing in VR, sounds pretty great.

joeblow

I like the improved quality of the VR Youtube videos. It's definitely worth checking out, especially when you find some decent content.

One of my favorites so far is "Rogue One: Recon - A Star Wars 360 Experience". Be sure to get the correct one because there are a lot of SW clips. If it starts out in space and says presented by Verizon, it's the correct flick (I found it under Recommended videos while wearing the PSVR).

It's the same perspective (but different action) as the SW Battlefront VR mission, but it's "real" video instead of computer graphics. The 3D effect in the cockpit is awesome.

Here is the list of the games on sale. This is NA store. You will need PS+.

Chess Ultra $12.99 -> $11.69 (10% off)
Mortal Blitz $19.99 -> $13.99 (30% off)
Tethered $24.99 -> $9.99 (60% off)
Trackmania Turbo $39.99 -> $15.99 (60% off)

Tethered is a steal at that price. Mortal Blitz is also a great game.

I am considering the games below.

I have heard good things about Darknet. I heard Passengers and Ghostbusters are very short. I read Moto Racer VR mode is fairly limited and not very good, but this is steep discount. I have no idea if Waddle Home is any good, but I might just bite at that price.

Any advice?

Trackmania Turbo is amazing fun on the PSVR. The non-VR game is the actual purchase, but the VR mode is free DLC. I previously posted my impressions here after I "beat" it. Also, unlike DriveClub VR and (from my hands on alpha impressions) GT Sport VR, this racer actually looks really good.

If the 60% discount is still in effect, go for it.

MattAces

Agreed. I can't afford to buy everything full price. Not shaming, just complaining I can't afford them all ��

Worst part about VR is, you just want to try everything, or at least 90% of them. I just get excited about any game release and open to buying any of them. For normal gaming stuff, I'm always very strict about picking them, I will only buy the best of the best indie games and AAA games. My Switch will be sitting at 2 AAA games until maybe Mario x Rabbids/Odyssey.

ranmafan

I like the improved quality of the VR Youtube videos. It's definitely worth checking out, especially when you find some decent content.

One of my favorites so far is "Rogue One: Recon - A Star Wars 360 Experience". Be sure to get the correct one because there are a lot of SW clips. If it starts out in space and says presented by Verizon, it's the correct flick (I found it under Recommended videos while wearing the PSVR).

It's the same perspective (but different action) as the SW Battlefront VR mission, but it's "real" video instead of computer graphics. The 3D effect in the cockpit is

That is a good video. Was watching it last night. Had great 3D and just was a ton of fun like the battlefront mission was.

Another great video I found last night on YouTube was a pretty nice 3D VR 20 minute long video of a tour of the White House from former president Obama. That was really cool!

Got my PSVR all hooked up. Wasn't too much of a pain but I'm definitely going to need to figure something out for cable management.

On a related question, is the PSVR processor box designed to be plugged in all the time? I notice if I unplug it that basically means I'm cutting out the HDMI from my PS4 to my tv. So it has to be on even if I'm not using the PSVR?

MattAces

Got my PSVR all hooked up. Wasn't too much of a pain but I'm definitely going to need to figure something out for cable management.

On a related question, is the PSVR processor box designed to be plugged in all the time? I notice if I unplug it that basically means I'm cutting out the HDMI from my PS4 to my tv. So it has to be on even if I'm not using the PSVR?

Yep, it will be the main hub for HDMI signal redirecting. You can unplug your headset though.

ckohler

I just played the first three missions of this. I went in expecting it to be lame and came away impressed!

The graphics are sharp and detailed (PS4 Pro). Good character models. Most importantly, it's fun and probably the closest I'll ever get to actually jumping out of a plane. It's a must try. It exceeds what I would expect for something that's Free. I think it requires Move controllers, btw.

Funny story, my buddy told me about it and I think we both expected it to be a 360 video thing. It's not. It's a full VR experience.

chekhonte

I'm still really enjoying superhypercube though I've completely plateaued and i can't break past 5th place on the leader board.

Top Bottom