• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

FrankWza

Did anyone preorder this from Best Buy? If so, how did you get your preorder bonuses?

I preordered from Best Buy but I did not receive an email or a printout on my receipt. Sounds like folks from Amazon and PSN experiencing the same. Were preorder bonuses sent out as codes or are they supposed to appear in-game (once servers are up)?

Got it via email within a minute of picking up the game.

Macattk15

So does this game still perform like a pile of rancid shit online like ALL the rest of them?

I mean ... let me know when the servers are actually up and playable.

So does this game still perform like a pile of rancid shit online like ALL the rest of them?

The show 16 was not that bad actually. Definitely playable.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for 17 so far lol

U2NUMB

Game is still loading so playing the initial game but holy crap on my new TV with my new PS Pro does this game look good..

Once the servers actually worked in 16, they were surprisingly good. I play like 200+ Diamond Dynasty games online and had a problem in maybe 2 or 3 of them.

Any definitive comparisons between the various options for Pro owners?

There is a native 4k mode. There is a 1440p mode. And there is a 1080p mode.

4k mode only maintains 60fps during the pitcher - hitter dynamic. However, it fluctuates noticeably outside of that.

I find 1440p mode the best. Increased resolution, and - as far as I can tell, it holds 60fps well enough. I don't see the point of the 1080p mode to be honest. 1440p is great. 4k is good too, as I said, it looks like it's 60 fps while batting which is crucial, and the clarity in image quality makes hitting easier IMO.

Metfanant

There is a native 4k mode. There is a 1440p mode. And there is a 1080p mode.

4k mode only maintains 60fps during the pitcher - hitter dynamic. However, it fluctuates noticeably outside of that.

I find 1440p mode the best. Increased resolution, and - as far as I can tell, it holds 60fps well enough. I don't see the point of the 1080p mode to be honest. 1440p is great. 4k is good too, as I said, it looks like it's 60 fps while batting which is crucial, and the clarity in image quality makes hitting easier IMO.

1440 mode downsamples for 1080p displays? If it's holding 60fps most of the time, that seems like the right choice

I give up. Tried everything and PSN still won't accept my credit card. POS system sony has.

I can buy stuff from GOG, steam Xbox, Nintendo, & Itunes with no issues. But with Sony, I always have issues.

Hesh

I give up. Tried everything and PSN still won't accept my credit card. POS system sony has.

I can buy stuff from GOG, steam Xbox, Nintendo, & Itunes with no issues. But with Sony, I always have issues.

Why not make a Paypal account and tie your card to that, then pay for PSN purchases via Paypal?

I get that, but failing that (and it is failing at the moment), why not try an alternative method instead of giving up?

I had the same problem. I have 2 Scotiabank Visas and one worked but for what ever reason the other one wouldn't. Just didn't make any sense.

I'll probably grab PSN cards on the weekend. Just sucks as I won't be able to use the 20% coupon...but paypal may be an alternative for online shopping.

how secure is paypal though?

Dunbar

I preordered the steelbook from Best Buy, picked it up a little late today after they had an inventory snafu that temporarily made it look like they didn't have enough copies of the game. They e-mailed my preorder code about an hour afterward. I redeemed the MVP code and the BB code through PSN fine, but the Show servers were down all day and I couldn't get it in to make sure I actually got the items. Guessing it's fine though.

I'm going to wait for final rosters to start a RTTS or Franchise, but doing the tutorial game and some practice sessions, it seems pretty good. I had a hell of a time getting Votto to snag grounders in the Fielding tutorial for some reason though. The way it walks you through the different button setups for batting/pitching/fielding is really helpful.

augmental

I preordered the steelbook from Best Buy, picked it up a little late today after they had an inventory snafu that temporarily made it look like they didn't have enough copies of the game. They e-mailed my preorder code about an hour afterward. I redeemed the MVP code and the BB code through PSN fine, but the Show servers were down all day and I couldn't get it in to make sure I actually got the items. Guessing it's fine though.

I'm going to wait for final rosters to start a RTTS or Franchise, but doing the tutorial game and some practice sessions, it seems pretty good. I had a hell of a time getting Votto to snag grounders in the Fielding tutorial for some reason though. The way it walks you through the different button setups for batting/pitching/fielding is really helpful.

I hope your right about the codes being redeemed. I received an error on my main MVP edition code. It shows in transfer history on the SEN but that's it. I've never had a code essentially 'reject' before.

Hesh

STILL installing. It's been hours. Anyway to turn off the damn song?

Sounds like the same problem I had last year where I was stuck in the demo game and the install got borked. Try restarting your PS4 completely and see if that gets the install to progress as intended.

ElNino

I don't remember the servers being this bad the last few years. I redeemed my MVP edition and pre-order bonuses while I was installing, but I haven't been able to connect to the servers at all since the first boot. I'm going on vacation next week so I might as well give them a couple of weeks to iron things out.

DD still not up in Canada =/

I pulled a DJ Lamiehu and some pretty good silvers and Lorenzo Cain from my loyalty reward, Joc Pederson as my gold mission starter.......so I want to get started already!

I don't know if it downsamples. I have a 4k display. Might want to get clarification on that.

1440 mode downsamples for 1080p displays? If it's holding 60fps most of the time, that seems like the right choice

The answer is No, it does not downsample to 1080p displays.

In fact, there is a theory going around that the Pro visual modes are all bugged for 1080p users, including HFR.

One person claims that the game runs and looks identical on their Pro and HG PS4 hooked up to the same 1080p TV.

I obviously can't vouch for that myself, I don't have an OG PS4 anymore, but I find it very very odd that with a 1080p display I can force any of the visual modes even after it warns you it's not supported, and not notice a difference at all between any of the 3. HFR, Enhanced, and 4k all look and play identically on a 1080p display, and honestly on my 1080p display I don't even feel like HFR, the one mode we are supposed to get at 1080p, is even working. I get all the familiar drops in cutscenes and parts of RTTS games as before....

Very very odd. Something isn't right

...HFR, Enhanced, and 4k all look and play identically on a 1080p display, and honestly on my 1080p display I don't even feel like HFR, the one mode we are supposed to get at 1080p, is even working.
Could you post some screenshots of each mode? I obviously wouldn't be able to say anything about framerate, but I could pixel count for visual differences or downsampling. Even though your Pro is at 1080p, it'd be best if the shots themselves were 4K (this is a separate Share setting). PNG is preferred, but if too big to upload them JPG is okay.

FrankWza

In fact, there is a theory going around that the Pro visual modes are all bugged for 1080p users, including HFR.

One person claims that the game runs and looks identical on their Pro and HG PS4 hooked up to the same 1080p TV.

I obviously can't vouch for that myself, I don't have an OG PS4 anymore, but I find it very very odd that with a 1080p display I can force any of the visual modes even after it warns you it's not supported, and not notice a difference at all between any of the 3. HFR, Enhanced, and 4k all look and play identically on a 1080p display, and honestly on my 1080p display I don't even feel like HFR, the one mode we are supposed to get at 1080p, is even working. I get all the familiar drops in cutscenes and parts of RTTS games as before....

Very very odd. Something isn't right

What do you mean by this? High frame rate mode is not smooth?

Love how quick the menus/loading/going from game to game in RTTS is

Yep, having last played RTTS on the PS3 I love the fact you can jump right into the next game without any loading whatsoever.

Those old loading screens were such a pain in the arse.

What do you mean by this? High frame rate mode is not smooth?

I feel like might have spotted a dropped frame or two at some point in RTTS but it was 3 or 4 am so I can't be sure of anything I saw. Will try and pay closer attention next time I play.

(HFR on 1080p screen. Game mode on)

I turned off boost mode and performance improved on my 1080p display in HFR mode. I don't think I was getting the full Pro benefits with boost mode on, it was my Pro playing the game like it was an old release without a Pro patch in boost mode.

I think something is bugged when playing this game on 1080p displays. I am honestly 99.9 percent sure of it. I truly feel like if DF does an analysis they will find some very strange things, unless it is patched by then.

I am going to buy a used OG PS4 today and do some testing.

Something is very odd with how this game behaves on 1080p displays

HFR IS smooth, but you gotta realize that the base game got a famerate upgrade on regular PS4s as well. Apparently some people, including myself, were feeling like the game played exactly like it does on base PS4 on our Pro (with a 1080p display). Then I turned boost mode off, and that changed. I have rarely seen a drop in RTTS or any other mode since then. Which is odd.

What is more odd is how you interact with the 2 other visual modes, enhanced and 4k, with a 1080p display, that it lets you force apply changes even after warning you its not supported and that there is no difference in anything at all between the three at 1080p.

Setzer

I love that retro mode uses the same audio from Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball on the SNES. Even the menus are the same. There's an 8-bit filtering option but not a fan of it. Wish there was an option to make the graphics look like the ones they use in the small windows that show base runners. So far enjoying my time with it.

If there is any truth to what my perception is of what is going on, it would explain why the Pro mode was only quickly outlined and no comments were made about 1080p benefits other than one single one word answer where Russell said "Yes."

Something just doesn't seem to be working as intended.

Yes it is awesome. The only thing is the jaggies, especially around the bat.

Agreed. I'm using the enhanced visuals mode for that reason. Gameplay is staying at 60fps and cutscenes are prone to drops, but all the jaggies in the foreground are pretty much gone due to the 1440p resolution.

Falchion

Just bought it so that I can at least pretend the Braves are good this season. Also excited to play in their new park.

RC0101

Can't believe how slow my PS4 downloads. It was saying 7 hours until it's complete, every other service downloads so much faster for me.

Xater

Seems like the servers are working properly today. At least they got them sorted out faster than last year.

The OT makes it sound like this is the first installment on Ps4 that offers meaningful improvements over previous installments.

However, the Hardcore Gamer Review, which gives it a 6/10, points out that its basically the same as last year.
What is it now?

Anyone else completely off on their hitting timing compared to previous years? I'm basically early on everything and if I do try and sit back it seems like there is a sort of "jump" of the ball in the last few frames.

Definitely not my TV.

Also, I appreciate them putting in the 4K mode but it's sort of unplayable. I'm picking the enhanced visuals right now and loving it.

tim1138

Played a bunch of Retro Mode last night with my wife, and had an absolute blast. Retro is everything the new RBI game should be and more, I would have happily paid full price just for it. Every time we'd hear one of Griffey's one liners we'd die laughing with how unenthusiastic he sounds. I probably won't dive into Franchise and RttS until this weekend, when I have some time to really get invested in it. I have no idea what the Diamond Dynasty thing is, I haven't played the Show since PS3 days (I actually bought a PS4 a couple weeks ago just for this year's edition).

Top Bottom