• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Papa

tabsina said:
what have you done!!! i know what i'm going to be doing on my 15hr flight from melbourne to la on saturday :p
Alchemy is one of my favorite games, glad you like it :)

Have fun in LA while you're here! Where you staying?

kaching said:
It tries to be a little too clever for its own good and doesn't fully nail the execution. It has a few features like the tilting that are "Ok, cool, but why?" type of things and it breaks some basic UI requirements like soco points out. That screams wrong priorities and wouldn't be something I'd want to see extended to the entire OS.

I can see taking a few select pieces from it - the transparent styling of the menus, the breadcrumb trail navigation at the top. The rest, not so much.

Knowing why these people were crying in the first place, it shouldn't be any surprise why they're still crying.

Jtwo said:
In my opinion the eye candy totally gets in the way of usability.
Yes, the popup share menu is MUCH better than the scrollable overlay of other apps, but they can have that without all the BS.

Fair enough. I'm the type of user who doesn't care about excess as long as it doesn't get in the way of anything. A lot of people and reviews said "Why?" to live wallpapers, I said "Why not?"

I can see some shortcomings of the Gallery app but I don't see the point in freaking out or being concerned. That's the inspiration for the new look/UI, not the rulebook.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
ZZMitch said:
I have been setting up google voice and I think I got it almost working, but when I try to enter the google voice app it shows a pop up saying Call settings and says reading settings... with a loading animation. It has been sitting like this for an hour or so...

Any ideas DroidGAF?
Start from the top: did you enter your cellphone's number into google voice and validate it as a GV line by responding with the two digit code when Google calls the phone?

jonnybryce said:
Fair enough. I'm the type of user who doesn't care about excess as long as it doesn't get in the way of anything. A lot of people and reviews said "Why?" to live wallpapers, I said "Why not?"
Same here, when we're talking about a standalone app rather than an entire approach to the OS. I have no problem with live wallpapers either - I don't use them but I'm okay with the fact that they exist because it isn't something that impacts my use of the phone if I choose not to use them.

I can see some shortcomings of the Gallery app but I don't see the point in freaking out or being concerned. That's the inspiration for the new look/UI, not the rulebook.
Right, hopefully that's the extent of it. But I get concerned because the rumors seem to put so much emphasis on how much effort is going into it. There's another rumor on BGR now that they're "burning the midnight oil" and I'm beginning to wonder if they're not obsessing over this too much. Android UI/UX doesn't really need *that* much of an overhaul, just more consistency and a more streamlined approach in some areas.

I don't think they're ever going to be able to convince OEMs/cell providers to stop tinkering with the UX and making it their own...it's an open source OS, FFS, it comes with the territory.

Is there an app out there that can put my phone in a certain state, like silent or mobile internet / wifi, depending on time?

for example, I want my phone to be put on silent at 9am to 5pm mon-fri, mobile internet turned on at those times and the wifi turned off at those times?

cheers.

Zeppu

MarkMclovin said:
Is there an app out there that can put my phone in a certain state, like silent or mobile internet / wifi, depending on time?

for example, I want my phone to be put on silent at 9am to 5pm mon-fri, mobile internet turned on at those times and the wifi turned off at those times?

cheers.

Setting profiles.

MarkMclovin said:

cheers.
Timeriffic or setting profiles

Edit: why does setting profiles need so many permissions? Read sms and Send sms messages for example

Zeppu

sableholic said:

Edit: why does setting profiles need so many permissions? Read sms and Send sms messages for example

I think you can set profiles to trigger when you receive an SMS.

tabsina

I like what I've seen from the Gallery app, and to be honest I wouldn't mind seeing how that translates into an OS, I assume (as others have suggested) it is just referring to the 'sleekness' of it rather than a copy paste job

But firstly give me some 2.2 in my desire

El Papa said:
Alchemy is one of my favorite games, glad you like it :)

Have fun in LA while you're here! Where you staying?

I'll be staying with relatives in Valencia [?], it is like 5 minutes from Magic Mountain

Anything good for me to do besides the usuals (magicmountain/universal studios etc)? (i've been to LA quite a few times - so i'm looking for more 'random' things to do/check out this time)

Jim

NomarTyme said:

I've done the Yahoo Asia free Yahoo POP3 Plus trick, so it feeds into my regular Mail app... but for some reason, the act of pulling messages in that way marks them all read by default. I'll stick with that.

NomarTyme

Jim said:
I've done the Yahoo Asia free Yahoo POP3 Plus trick, so it feeds into my regular Mail app... but for some reason, the act of pulling messages in that way marks them all read by default. I'll stick with that.
I'll try that.

elitehebrew said:
Know its not am app I'm asking about but does anyone know when the 2.2 release is dropping for droid? I appreciate any help
Near future. No set date hinted at all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Jim said:
I get imap for my yahoo account already in the email app, is there any benefit to getting this app instead?

ZZMitch

kaching said:
Start from the top: did you enter your cellphone's number into google voice and validate it as a GV line by responding with the two digit code when Google calls the phone?

I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling already, thanks though.

Jim

VanMardigan said:
I get imap for my yahoo account already in the email app, is there any benefit to getting this app instead?

Yahoo IMAP doesn't work on WiFi.

The actual app has all of your Yahoo folders and contacts and things if you need that kind of stuff. And Messenger.

andycapps

Jim said:
Yahoo IMAP doesn't work on WiFi.

The actual app has all of your Yahoo folders and contacts and things if you need that kind of stuff. And Messenger.

Isn't that a separate app? I had something in my RSS feed today that said that Yahoo released 3 separate apps yesterday. Doesn't affect me since I don't use Yahoo for anything.

A coworker of mine is ridiculously stuck in the past and wants POP access for his Yahoo mail. I have it set up for him via the stock Mail app (he has Yahoo Plus so it works) but it's not ideal. For example, you can set deletion on the device to always delete from the mailbox or to never delete from the mailbox, but he would like to be able to choose each time.

Also, when he deletes from the device, the same messages that are in the inbox are then redownloaded to his phone.

I've tried to convince him of the advantages of IMAP and specifically Gmail but he's just stubborn about it.

Anyway, does the new mail app offer POP?

Jayge

sableholic said:

Because it's crazy powerful, and it can trigger configs on almost any type of prompt.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
andycapps said:
Isn't that a separate app? I had something in my RSS feed today that said that Yahoo released 3 separate apps yesterday. Doesn't affect me since I don't use Yahoo for anything.
Yeah its a separate app.

jayb

Battersea Power Station said:
A coworker of mine is ridiculously stuck in the past and wants POP access for his Yahoo mail. I have it set up for him via the stock Mail app (he has Yahoo Plus so it works) but it's not ideal. For example, you can set deletion on the device to always delete from the mailbox or to never delete from the mailbox, but he would like to be able to choose each time.

Also, when he deletes from the device, the same messages that are in the inbox are then redownloaded to his phone.

I've tried to convince him of the advantages of IMAP and specifically Gmail but he's just stubborn about it.

Anyway, does the new mail app offer POP?

Yahoo mail doesn't offer IMAP?

SimleuqiR

Swift key Alpha release!! Just got my e-mail.

Dear all,

It's been a while since we last contacted you... a warm welcome to
all new members, and apologies to those who have been affected by the
expiry of the previous version. We've been working hard on improving
many core aspects of SwiftKey, and have made some fundamental changes
to the underlying code. Improvements include:
- User language module handling
- Appearance and GUI rendering
- Punctuation handling
- Autocompletion / correction
- Third party app integration
- URL and email handling
- Decimal number entry

IMPORTANT: BEFORE INSTALLING THIS VERSION OF SWIFTKEY YOU MUST
UNINSTALL THE PREVIOUS VERSION.
This is because the package name has
been changed for this release. See the following link if you are
unsure about how to uninstall applications:

jayb said:
Yahoo mail doesn't offer IMAP?
Huh?

He doesn't want IMAP, as I explained. He's stubborn about POP, as he wants to have two different inboxes. I know, I know. Trust me, I've tried to show the idiocy of this over the last two years and I've failed to convince him.

Anyway, the new Yahoo app does offer IMAP. Previously, you could use IMAP but only over cellular data connections and not over WiFi.

Just got a Nexus One today and loving it so far.

Couple questions--

Any suggestions for an app to help organize a trip coming up?

Also, what happened to Exit Strategy NYC? It's gone from the marketplace...

bathala

Banned
so I was watching Launcher Pro overview on utube and one vid mentioned Fancy Widget.

now I checked appbrain and it was pulled by HTC.
any alternative? I do like that weather app

gcubed

Mercury Fred said:
Just got a Nexus One today and loving it so far.

Couple questions--

Any suggestions for an app to help organize a trip coming up?

Also, what happened to Exit Strategy NYC? It's gone from the marketplace...
Trip it, but beware they want to own your trip info. I really don't care and I love it

ZZMitch

Launcherpro is so amazing. I mean it is crazy how one app on the marketplace can completely change my whole phone.

I was using my friends Droid with out launcherpro and it was pretty annoying... then I used my other friends new iPhone 4, don't even get me started :lol

It just ups the productivity and how quickly I can get around my phone astronomically.

Also, <3 Gesture Search, pretty awesome as well. (Tip- download gesture bar on the marketplace to so with gesture search).

I feel like my phone gets updated almost everyday to become better. It is pretty amazing really.

Nif

Question: I'm stuck on AT&T at the moment and thinking about getting the Captivate later this year. I hear AT&T locks out non-market apps, though. Is there too much I'd miss out on while I wait for a method to root it? I mostly want my mail, twitter, gps/maps, calendar and games, but some basic, good looking productivity apps would be nice. I guess my only other option is the iphone, but I'm not really attracted to it. I think it's the fancy backgrounds and the widgets on android.

Also, would I be stuck with AT&T's crappy branded apps?

Stryder

ZZMitch said:
Launcherpro is so amazing. I mean it is crazy how one app on the marketplace can completely change my whole phone.

I was using my friends Droid with out launcherpro and it was pretty annoying... then I used my other friends new iPhone 4, don't even get me started :lol

It just ups the productivity and how quickly I can get around my phone astronomically.

Also, <3 Gesture Search, pretty awesome as well. (Tip- download gesture bar on the marketplace to so with gesture search).

I feel like my phone gets updated almost everyday to become better. It is pretty amazing really.
Dude, I just learned of gesture search and gesture bar from your post. My phone just got 10x better. thanks!

Jayge

eznark said:
anything big?
More memory management options. Expanding on what was apparently a very positively regarded addition in the most recent update (that added the awesome scrollable dock). Launcher Pro is officially my favorite app on the phone.

nocode

Stryder said:
Dude, I just learned of gesture search and gesture bar from your post. My phone just got 10x better. thanks!

Gesture bar and Quick settings are two apps that you simply need to have. They make the phone work the way it should.

jiien

Jayge said:
More memory management options. Expanding on what was apparently a very positively regarded addition in the most recent update (that added the awesome scrollable dock). Launcher Pro is officially my favorite app on the phone.

It was just updated again this morning, with dock notifications. Fricking awesome. The guy develops like a mad man, and actually follows his forums, so if you post a bug, he'll find it and fix it for the next update. I submitted a couple of bugs to him via the forum, and he fixed them up within hours.

HooDoo

What's the benefit of launcher pro when you're running sense on a 2.1 phone ?

Is there a better UI than sense on the market that might be worth the change ?

skybaby

Launcherpro has been updated again, this time:
dock_counters-300x61.jpg

Dockbar notifications! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom