• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Game Informer Details [Audio Design Interview]

ish1BIMT3uia8.png

Love this screen, the expressions are perfect and it looks really brutal. You can see the NPC's eyes bulging, it actually looks like he is choking

So is the game turning out the way you guys want so far?

Yess, I feel people are underestimating it a bit. If all works out, has the potential to be my favorite game! It's a tall order, but I'm confident in their abilities.

Why Audio Matters In The Last Of Us

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/02/15/why-audio-matters-in-the-last-of-us.aspx

Yep sound plays a big part in the game, and will be a very useful strategy.

Yesss! This is exactly the kind of game I've been wanting. I've been feeling games have been too fast and "loud"/hollywood lately. And I'm starting to appreciate the really subtle quiet moments in film and I've been wanting to see that from a game. That ambient feel is my favorite part about the games I play...

Dresden

I hope ND includes a scene where Joel is like, girl, you gotta carry the fire, because the fire, it's in you.

And she's like, wtf are you talking about?

Loudninja

Yess, I feel people are underestimating it a bit. If all works out, has the potential to be my favorite game! It's a tall order, but I'm confident in their abilities.

Yesss! This is exactly the kind of game I've been wanting. I've been feeling games have been too fast and "loud"/hollywood lately. And I'm starting to appreciate the really subtle quiet moments in film and I've been wanting to see that from a game. That ambient feel is my favorite part about the games I play...

I bet we will mostly hear music doing cutscenes and some intense moments maybe.

I doubt we will hear much doing the general gameplay.

Ricky_R

That sound design interview sounds great, but I need to keep my expectations in check because if I go by everything that's been released so far and I assume it's going to translate perfectly into the game, I might go full retard thinking this will be a video game from the Holy Heavens.

Loudninja

Nature’s Ruinous Revenge: The Environments Of The Last Of Us
Naughty Dog has cited numerous pieces of literary and film inspiration for The Last of Us, but the most relevant to shaping the game’s physical world is arguably The World Without Us. Both the non-fiction book and documentary paint a picture of a future world where tree limbs burst through office buildings, vines ensnare the pavement, and huge structures crumble without human maintenance. While the imagery described in The World Without Us may seem fantastical, you don’t have to look further than the American Rust Belt for a glimpse into modern decay.

Naughty Dog isn’t content with simply popping main characters Joel and Ellie and some bad guys into these interesting environments. The developer is paying careful attention to the composition of every location to elicit different emotions from the player. For example, the lush greenery and open air of an overgrown highway may evoke a sense of calm. Conversely, the underpass of the same road may have support beams crossing at rigid angles and prominently feature the color red to instill fear and claustrophobia.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...venge-the-environments-of-the-last-of-us.aspx

Loudninja

Can you image if ND put a level or section like the Fort Shelby Hotel pic?

I really love the look of that picture and what ND is trying to do with the environments.

Loudninja

Sorry for the silly triple post , but a new article is up

Capturing Joel And Ellie From The Last Of Us
Naughty Dog's Uncharted trilogy received plenty of praise for the natural performances from the actors and the all-encompassing method of capturing that performance. The same techniques are being applied to Naughty Dog's new IP, The Last of Us. By capturing both the motions and vocal performance of the actors, the characters in the game feel more unified and real. Watch the video below to learn more about the actors behind Joel and Ellie and to see their raw performances.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-39-s-art-of-performance-with-last-of-us.aspx

reKon

Banned
the sound in this is going to be fucking incredible if they do this right. I've always wanted to see a game where they purposely shut off the music and you're only left with sound effects to help engage you. I think that makes things much more intense and rather than having a soundtrack ruin those portions.

The more I think about this game the more I'm convinced it would be more interesting if you played the game as the girl rather than the guy. You'd feel way more vulnerable etc.

I'm convinced ND will have a section where you play as her, at least...

Loudninja

The more I think about this game the more I'm convinced it would be more interesting if you played the game as the girl rather than the guy. You'd feel way more vulnerable etc.

From what I am reading you will feel plenty vulnerable in the game playing as Joel.

Ricky_R

I think there can be many scenarios where playing as Joel might be far more vulnerable due to the burden/fear he has of protecting/losing Ellie. By playing Ellie (all the time) you might constantly feel like there's a very capable man near and ready to help you. Thus the sense of vulnerability could be lost.

That's what I think anyway.

I really hope the game makes it that you need to conserve ammo to stand a chance against the fungas zombies.

That has been suggested in almost every interview after the reveal cut-scene. Scarce ammo will play a major role according to ND.

Not really, because mechanically it's almost guaranteed it'd play the exact same way. You'd just *look* more fragile.

I don't think that's true. You wouldn't be a great fighter, would you? It'd be more about hiding, staying out of danger, etc etc as Joel was the main person who fought the zombies. Perhaps you could help grab a few people in certain circumstances or something, but you'd never be able to fight someone that well. As he was fighting maybe you could find an escape, secure an area, or something like that.

You'd need really good AI for Joel to make that work though.

When did GI start putting fanfic in their game articles? A year ago, something like that? I really don't know how anyone stomachs reading them, it is so damn corny. If there's one example that shows just how lame things have gotten with storytelling in games, it's this.

Unsurprisingly this one was extra corny.

KorrZ

I don't think that's true. You wouldn't be a great fighter, would you? It'd be more about hiding, staying out of danger, etc etc as Joel was the main person who fought the zombies. Perhaps you could help grab a few people in certain circumstances or something, but you'd never be able to fight someone that well. As he was fighting maybe you could find an escape, secure an area, or something like that.

If that actually was the case I agree with you it would be way more fun and tense. I just think that in reality if they actually were going to let you play as Ellie, they would basically have you playing in the same way Joel does now. I just don't see them going through with the idea of letting Joel handle most of the combat while you hide or sneak around enemies.

If that actually was the case I agree with you it would be way more fun and tense. I just think that in reality if they actually were going to let you play as Ellie, they would basically have you playing in the same way Joel does now. I just don't see them going through with the idea of letting Joel handle most of the combat while you hide or sneak around enemies.

Yeah, I don't either. I still think the game will be fun in its current form, I just can't help but wonder what cool stuff they could try if they had Ellie as the main character :) In reality I'm not sure we're at the point where they'd be able to do it justice.

Loudninja

Sure, but you're always going to feel more vulnerable as a teenage girl.

Not to mention it would be interesting to play as someone other than an adult male for once!
I understand wanted to play as a younger character.

The game having little ammo, weapons that break, and time need to apply health packs make Joel just as vulnerable.

Thats not the game they are going for though and to me would be boring.

To you. To me it would be really interesting.

I mean, Amnesia was a game where you just ran away from enemies and it was the most scary/tense experience ever.

KorrZ

Yeah, I don't either. I still think the game will be fun in its current form, I just can't help but wonder what cool stuff they could try if they had Ellie as the main character :) In reality I'm not sure we're at the point where they'd be able to do it justice.

Yeah, I hear ya. It would be a really great concept if they actually did let you play like that. I just don't think it'll ever happen with a big budget AAA game :\.

rdrr gnr

Wow. They were considering Carter Burwell and A.R. Rahman? It's like the soundtrack to this game was destined to be God-tier. I hope they call on those two guys for future titles, though I'm completely satisfied with Santaolalla.

Irish

GI just put up an interview with Balestra and Wells:

Naughty Dog has always been a studio about teamwork. Originally founded by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin, the duo expertly guided the company until their departure in 2004, when they made room for Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra to take the helm and become co-presidents of the legendary studio. Game Informer editor-in-chief Andy McNamara sat down with the co-presidents to talk about their history, the studio's emphasis on storytelling, and what it has been like to hand the reins of a second team over to Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann for the Last of Us. Watch the video below and let us know what you think in the comments.

Mikey Jr.

This game feels like a E3 2012 Sony press conference opener.

That, or GOW IV.

Either one of those. Something to make the people shit their pants.

Top Bottom