• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In the manga thread people talked about some filler episodes, any hope of them starting to do long filler arcs?

3U2JlDQ.gif

The longest one piece filler arc is still pretty short by anime filler arc standards. Two months is a long OP filler.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I imagine filler probably isn't good for ratings.
It literally killed Rurouni Kenshin.

I much prefer it to pacing issues, though. Dressrosa was the worst offender and nearly unwatchable because of it. Whole Cake, so far, has been much better

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Long running tv anime with are growing increasingly risky and unsustainable, and only merch and rating machines like Doraemon, Detective Conan, Dragon Ball or One Piece are the only types of shows that justify year round broadcasts.

Then there is Pokémon which runs weekly and starting a few years ago looks better than almost any prestige series out there.

Then there is Pokémon which runs weekly and starting a few years ago looks better than almost any prestige series out there.

Yeah, Team Kato has been doing some impressive work with the series. Unfortunately not many prestige series luck out and get a director with big ideas and a willingness to experiment. Pokemon is fortunate in the sense that they aren't beholden to a certain look or supplemental media like a manga. They're essentially free to make it look and move however they want. And with a team dedicated to just Pokemon, I assume their pre-production time is much better than other long runners.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wow that had to be some of the best animation One Piece has had in a while.
I was waiting for that scene since music doesn't work well in manga, and I think the anime pulled it off amazingly.

I should also reread that part since I did not remember seeing Amande, Diesel and Randolph getting the ingredients. I mean I vaguely recall that part but I didn't realize it was them.

Big Mom's song was well done, lots of sinister low notes and tight musical editing.

Minor nitpick: I wish Big Mom's evil laugh lasted a HAHAHA longer. I like long evil laughs.

EDIT: Pedro lighting his cigarette with electro is a nice touch. I don't think that was in the manga.

Ogodei

It literally killed Rurouni Kenshin.

I much prefer it to pacing issues, though. Dressrosa was the worst offender and nearly unwatchable because of it. Whole Cake, so far, has been much better

Naruto survived it just fine, though. If Naruto could live through the insanity that was the pre-Shippuden run of filler, One Piece would be good for setting up an average of 3 months of filler a year (which, let us remember, is needed to make up for Oda's monthly breaks if they want to stick to a 1:1 chapter episode ratio)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Naruto survived it just fine, though. If Naruto could live through the insanity that was the pre-Shippuden run of filler, One Piece would be good for setting up an average of 3 months of filler a year (which, let us remember, is needed to make up for Oda's monthly breaks if they want to stick to a 1:1 chapter episode ratio)
My tinfoil hat theory is that they don't want their ratings to drop now that DB Super is direct competition.

Was that the first time seeing Franky's bump? I don't remember seeing it since they changed them.

Loving this arc so far. Didn't know how much got revealed early.

I was kinda getting sick of all the songs that seemed to be added in and taking up large chunks of time, but wow, Big Mom's song was incredibly done. It set the mood for her and Totto Land extremely well.

Akai__

Haha that was a well made episode.

That's certainly not how I imagined Big Mom, after her first introduction, though. Design changed for the better, in my opinion. Also, it sounds like it's not even the same VA anymore.

SolVanderlyn

But they're both made by Toei and run one right after the other as part of the same block? If anything they help each other out, not compete
Oh, you're right.

I dunno then.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Think I prefer Kaido's reveal a little more than Big Mom's but that's mainly because we knew nothing about Kaido before his reveal.

Kaido's reveal: "This guy is a monster!" (In the "Holy shit he's huge and powerful and indestructible how the hell can anyone stop him?" sense)
Big Mom's reveal: "This chick is a monster!" (In the "Holy shit this is creepy and she's nuts!" sense)

SolVanderlyn

I'm not sure I like the boink boink sounds the Germa boots make, but other than that I loved that tease towards the end. That's what filler should be - adding in scenes that feel like they could have naturally happened off-panel in the manga. (Unless that little exchange happened and I just forgot)

Good episode overall, but the pacing is slowing down again. I might wait for One Pace if we go one episode = one chapter again.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The anime's been going at a 1 chapter per episode pace for the last decade and they​'ll continue​ going at it for the next decade after that.

Shit gets bad when Toei tries to get away with less than a chapter per episode.

Not really sure why they would bother including a second centipede as filler when it goes down as fast as the first.

EDIT: plus, in the manga it's implied that Luffy, Carrot, Pedro and Brook all work together to take it down before it cuts away. Why would the filler not include that. Plus it made Nami and Chopper look worse because in the manga, at least they just get scared for a panel before leaving it to Luffy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The anime's been going at a 1 chapter per episode pace for the last decade and they​'ll continue​ going at it for the next decade after that.

Shit gets bad when Toei tries to get away with less than a chapter per episode.
Both zou and dressrosa had more episodes than chapters.

Ogodei

Kind of a blink-and-you'll-miss-it thing, but Carrot had an absolutely savage expression for a second when she put on her spiky shock glove this episode.

SolVanderlyn

The brothers appear. I love their VAs. A lot of people say they should be switched, and while I can see that, I think it works they way it is now. Niji is more stern and angry while Ichiji is more cool and composed, and their VAs reflect that pretty well.

So I foolishly asked this in the Anime Thread, forgetting One Piece would of course have it's own thread: So, I was looking to maybe finally watch a bunch of the One Piece movies, only to discover that a majority of them haven't had proper U.S. releases. Do we have any idea if there's plans on the table to go back and release any of the older ones? Is there a licensing issue? I tried finding the answers myself but no one seemed to be talking about this.

Woot finally caught up after being behind for over half a year.

Good flashback I guess for reminding people who Jinbei is considering how long its been since we saw him or that promise.

Big Mom's rampage felt like it lasted so long (which it did it appeared it stopped around 16 mins into it).

I was like Nami during that scene though, how could they eat that. lol.

Top Bottom