• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Tosyn_88

Keylor Navas was a fantastic goalkeeper last season. But ever since his injury he's lost it.

Why aren't any top clubs going for Kasper Schmeichel?

Because they will quote a ridiculous price for him. He also isn't in the same stratosphere as the kind of keepers we are talking about.

Tosyn_88

Maybe we lose De Gea maybe we don't, I hope it's all nonsense and he stays because any quality replacement will cost almost as much as we get for him lol.

Saw that Fosu Mensah is hurt now too. the lack of a January buy with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger going out spread us thin in midfield even when healthy. Pogba likely to be back midweek vs Celta so Herrera and Carrick will have to start against Swansea, Rooney ahead of them.

This is exactly my point as well. The club will know that to replace him after such fee would be ridiculous. It's the reason why clubs tend to sign their replacement before they sell. If Manchester doesn't sign a quality goalkeeper in the window, David is staying put. Madrid can roll and Marca can write but nothing will happen. Also as I said, the fee isn't relevant to the discussion because Manchester doesn't need it at all. What is needed are quality players and Madrid will have to provide that otherwise nothing will happen. They are best going to alternatives like Oblak, Courtious and Donnaruma

Pachimari

This is exactly my point as well. The club will know that to replace him after such fee would be ridiculous. It's the reason why clubs tend to sign their replacement before they sell. If Manchester doesn't sign a quality goalkeeper in the window, David is staying put. Madrid can roll and Marca can write but nothing will happen. Also as I said, the fee isn't relevant to the discussion because Manchester doesn't need it at all. What is needed are quality players and Madrid will have to provide that otherwise nothing will happen. They are best going to alternatives like Oblak, Courtious and Donnaruma

What makes you say our chances are bigger by going after Courtouis and Donnaruma? The first mentioned is hell-bent on staying at Chelsea, and Donnaruma is already playing in his dream club. And yet, Real Madrid won't up big for an 18-year old goalkeeper; how I wish we would though.

Clydefrog

If Spurs can beat Arsenal this weekend, there will be no St. Totteringham's Day this year. omfg

On the other hand, if there ever was a time to "Spurs," it would be this Sunday. I'm ready.

Tosyn_88

What makes you say our chances are bigger by going after Courtouis and Donnaruma? The first mentioned is hell-bent on staying at Chelsea, and Donnaruma is already playing in his dream club. And yet, Real Madrid won't up big for an 18-year old goalkeeper; how I wish we would though.

The reason I say that is because if you bid 50 million for oblak or Donnaruma, the deal can happen. Courtouis has strong affiliation with Madrid, I think his wife also lives there I'm not sure but I have hears Chelsea fans talk about it before. In all those scenario, only Manchester and maybe Chelsea aren't as bothered by huge fee. Esp Manchester, the fee doesn't interest the club at all. They will be looking to satisfy Jose Mourinho and what Jose wants is players not huge fee. The club is rumoured to be willing to spend upwards of 300 million to give Jose Mourinho what he wants this summer so tell me how 75 million even makes them consider. The club is already awash with financial muscle, what they need are players, then you are talking about losing one of their most important players for a fee? I can't see it happen. I can only imagine a situation where Madrid offer players the club wants otherwise it won't happen. The CEO won't want to upset Jose by dismantling what he's building

Anarkin

It's insane how Isco isn't starting this match when he's so much in form and don't the El Clasico. Instead James gets the nod.

Both should be playing after the last match. Casemiro is just average and can play against Barca but not against defensive teams like Valencia.

Pachimari

I have no doubt we're gonna fight hard for the league. And Marcelo with yet another of those cut-to-the-inside runs and finish with his right food. I love our team. Hala Madrid!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Casemiro fouls so much that he could get 3 yellow cards each game.

Edit: it was a good game. I still don't understand Zizou's rotation in picking up the team. Like there's little reward for playing well when this doesn't impact on being picked for the first team or being substituted.

In the end Marcelo's beautiful run saved the win. La Liga is still pretty safely in Real's hands this year.

Jy1ebjD.png

last time Sunderland were in the top-10 was 5 years ago

lol

Gambit

so is there a reason why Ancelotti only now starts a proper rotation and gives Coman, Kimmich some game time?

I know it's only Wolfsburg but Kimmich and Coman are playing great, and make you question why they have been ignored so thoroughly till now

Jack cw

so is there a reason why Ancelotti only now starts a proper rotation and gives Coman, Kimmich some game time?

I know it's only Wolfsburg but Kimmich and Coman are playing great, and make you question why they have been ignored so thoroughly till now

He did this all of his career though.
But I think he realises that 18 players in which 14 are constantly playing, are to few.
Bayern should skip the idea of Kimmich playing Lahms part. He can play the Alonso part.
All it needs now is Sanchez for Costa and we have a very decent wingers again with him and Coman.

Gambit

He did this all of his career though.
But I think he realises that 18 players in which 14 are constantly playing, are to few.
Bayern should skip the idea of Kimmich playing Lahms part. He can play the Alonso part.
All it needs now is Sanchez for Costa and we have a very decent wingers again with him and Coman.

Let's hope you are right and he realises it.

Also, I agree about Kimmich. His best games have been in midfield. Also the way he is playing it feels like he still plays "Pep style pressing". I am really enjoying it.
Maybe we should get Henrichs as right back instead.

Sanchez for Costa would be such an incredible upgrade and such an easy solution for our Lewy backup question that I almost feel it's NOT gonna happen. It makes too much sense.

Pachimari

So it seems like we are looking into loaning out Jesus Vallejo for another season in the Bundesliga. I would agree with this move upon his major injury, back in February. This would be good to get him back into form and to develop his talent further.

BVBs performance the last 5 years regarding the championship is the only cringeworthy thing here.
Blablabla

Copying Iceland's Euro celebration from last year, in the worst possible manner, was more sad than Lahm during his interview on Wednesday. Which I did not think was possible.

Carbonox

I have Dortmund and Bayern tattooed on either testicle in honor of both sets of fans on GAF. It's truly a clash of the ages.

--

Newcastle win, Brighton lose, Leeds can't make play-offs, if Carlsberg did weekends...

Brighton have to go to Villa on final day whereas we have Barnsley at home. Title's ours.

Devil

Blablabla

Copying Iceland's Euro celebration from last year, in the worst possible manner, was more sad than Lahm during his interview on Wednesday. Which I did not think was possible.

The Iceland celebration wasn't even original. Lots of clubs have been doing it way before EURO. Ask Hansa Rostock fans for example, lol.

Boogs31

So I'm no expert in soccer (I never played), don't really know much of the history of the game and have only been an avid fan of the sport for about 5 years.

Can someone explain to me why Pep Guardiola is rated so highly as a manager? Obviously I get that he's really good tactically at least in terms of possession.
But from what I saw with his last couple champions league runs in Munich, he doesn't value defense and just got torched on the counter attack by Barcelona and Real Madrid in consecutive years.

This year with Man City he has consistently put out lineups that are not possibly capable of recording a clean sheet. His lineups against Monaco in the Champions league had like 7 attackers, 2 center backs and a single defensive midfielder. I know Monaco can score but aren't you asking to be scored on with that sort of lineup?

I can't help but think he's terribly over rated and has only had success because he's had crazy amounts of talent on some of his teams. I think the best coaches get the most out of whatever roster they have and he certainly hasn't done that this year with City.

I'm much more knowledgeable with Basketball than I am with soccer, and if I could compare him to a basketball coach I would compare him to Don Nelson. He certainly has a gifted offensive mind, but he doesn't care about defense and consistently plays lineups that are not capable of clean sheets.

I mean Pellegrini got more out of this group of players than Pep is and yet Pep's job is safe and they're going to spend enormous amounts of money this off-season.

DBT85

Pep is well regarded because he won a lot with the best team in Spain and the best team in Germany.

Many have (rightly IMO) said that him taking on the City job is his biggest challenge as they aren't the top dog and can't just buy anyone they like from any league rivals. He's taken on a squad in need of a makeover with a lot of important players over 30 and in league where just about anyone can cause an upset.

He could quite easily be here for 3 years and win nothing but still do well in cups and get 2nd in the league to Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool or United, but that's not what he or the bosses want.

Kyoufu

I have Dortmund and Bayern tattooed on either testicle in honor of both sets of fans on GAF. It's truly a clash of the ages.

--

Newcastle win, Brighton lose, Leeds can't make play-offs, if Carlsberg did weekends...

Brighton have to go to Villa on final day whereas we have Barnsley at home. Title's ours.

Villa have been pretty good at home all season but it's still Villa so I can't get my hopes up.

Top Bottom