• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Sitting in the airplane to Dubai and then immediately to Tokyo. Ninja Sim will save my life over there. Got a cool Hotel for the first few days :) quiet nervous! I also got the JR Pass. I will Land in Narita and then drive to Tokyo by using the Express train with my pass. I have to get to Sengakuji Station which should be easy from Tokyo right? Just have to buy the Pasmo card and then use the normal trains in the City to the Station I guess... Should work out :))

Have fun in the line to get your JR Pass ;P

Using the NEX is actually not the best way to get to Sengakuji, but since you're using the JR Pass, it's the cheapest I guess. Probably best to ride the NEX to Shinagawa and then take the Keikyu train to Sengakuji, then you'll only have to change trains once.

KillGore

Just a few days until the trip and I was wondering:

1- Where would be the best place to exchange my USD? I'll be leaving from LAX and arrive at Narita, if it matters.

2- Would I have trouble exchanging the money if all my bills are $100 USD bills?

3- I read that 7 elevens have atm machines that work with some US cards, will it work with the cards that have the "Plus" logo in the back?

Thanks guys *looks at Mike*

Just a few days until the trip and I was wondering:

1- Where would be the best place to exchange my USD? I'll be leaving from LAX and arrive at Narita, if it matters.

2- Would I have trouble exchanging the money if all my bills are $100 USD bills?

3- I read that 7 elevens have atm machines that work with some US cards, will it work with the cards that have the "Plus" logo in the back?

Thanks guys *looks at Mike*

inb4MikeHattsu

I wouldn't exchange large amounts of cash because usually the rates aren't great. Look into whether or not your bank has foreign transaction fees and if their terms are good, just get cash out as needed from an ATM. I've had good luck with 7-Eleven banks and slightly worse luck with Japan Post ATMs which are typically at Family Mart but you'll find them everywhere. One of my debit cards has a Plus logo and I had no problems with it at the ATM. I didn't use it much because of foreign transaction fees. My other debit card doesn't have that since it's a Master Card and I also had no problems.

Also, if you are using a Visa card, a lot of electronic stores, like Bic Camera, offer a 5 % discount if you use it. Using it with duty free means a huge discount.

KillGore

inb4MikeHattsu

I wouldn't exchange large amounts of cash because usually the rates aren't great. Look into whether or not your bank has foreign transaction fees and if their terms are good, just get cash out as needed from an ATM. I've had good luck with 7-Eleven banks and slightly worse luck with Japan Post ATMs which are typically at Family Mart but you'll find them everywhere. One of my debit cards has a Plus logo and I had no problems with it at the ATM. I didn't use it much because of foreign transaction fees. My other debit card doesn't have that since it's a Master Card and I also had no problems.

Also, if you are using a Visa card, a lot of electronic stores, like Bic Camera, offer a 5 % discount if you use it. Using it with duty free means a huge discount.

Sweet, thank you very much! I'll check with my bank then. If they have a terrible transaction fee, what do you recommend? Exchange in US or in Japan? I've heard there is a better exchange rate in Japan, though that was like 2 years ago. Maybe things have changed. Anyways, thank you so much.

Sweet, thank you very much! I'll check with my bank then. If they have a terrible transaction fee, what do you recommend? Exchange in US or in Japan? I've heard there is a better exchange rate in Japan, though that was like 2 years ago. Maybe things have changed. Anyways, thank you so much.

I've only used exchanges for a small amount of money. In the past, I got good rates by having my bank purchase yen for me but that also depends on your bank and how they purchase foreign currency.

I don't really know whether you could get better rates in the US or Japan at an exchange office. It could vary by the day so there's probably no general rule for that.

An ATM, if your fees are non-existant or low, will give you rates that are close to the current rate so that would be your best option if you don't bank with Chase, US Bank or a similar bank with high foreign transaction fees.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Finally booked the flights for my trip in July/August.

I'll arrive in Osaka on a Saturday morning because I'm attending a conference in Kobe from Monday to Friday. So my plan is to acclimate and check out Kobe on Saturday and Sunday and then be at the conference during the week (= week 1). Then I plan to get a 7 day JR pass to go on day trips to Hiroshima, Kyoto and other interesting places in the area while staying in some Airbnb in the Kobe area near a Shinkansen station (= week 2). On the last day of the JR pass, I'll travel to Tokyo and stay there for a week until I fly back from there on a Saturday as well (= week 3).

Does that sound like a solid plan? I want to minimize traveling with luggage as much as possible and preferably make do with a 7 day JR pass, because I don't feel like I'll be able to fully utilize a 14 day JR pass to make up for the price difference. Unfortunately the trip to Tokyo will be right at the weekend before Obon week (August 11-12), so from what I've read I can expect a lot of people in the train.

Does that sound like a solid plan? I want to minimize traveling with luggage as much as possible and preferably make do with a 7 day JR pass, because I don't feel like I'll be able to fully utilize a 14 day JR pass to make up for the price difference. Unfortunately the trip to Tokyo will be right at the weekend before Obon week (August 11-12), so from what I've read I can expect a lot of people in the train.

Hm... Might be better to stay at an AirBnB place in Osaka the time you're planning on traveling around?

Book the Shinkansen tickets to Tokyo ASAP when you get your JR Pass to ensure you get a reserved seat. You can book it at any time after you've picked up the JR Pass.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Hm... Might be better to stay at an AirBnB place in Osaka the time you're planning on traveling around?

Book the Shinkansen tickets to Tokyo ASAP when you get your JR Pass to ensure you get a reserved seat. You can book it at any time after you've picked up the JR Pass.

Yeah with Kobe area I meant the general Kobe/Osaka/Kyoto area. I haven't looked into what place gives me the best access to the train network for the day trips. Is there anything worth going to in Osaka? From what I've heard it's mostly an industrial city with not that much interesting stuff.

Thanks for the tip about booking the ticket though, I'll note it in my to do list.

Yeah with Kobe area I meant the general Kobe/Osaka/Kyoto area. I haven't looked into what place gives me the best access to the train network for the day trips. Is there anything worth going to in Osaka? From what I've heard it's mostly an industrial city with not that much interesting stuff.

It has Dotonbori for eating/nightlife, Nipponbashi which is similar to Akihabara in Tokyo, Osaka Aquarium and Universal Studios if you like theme parks. And it's got one of the best access to travel around the Kansai area if you got an JR Pass ;P

Thanks for the tip about booking the ticket though, I'll note it in my to do list.

takoyaki yo

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
It has Dotonbori for eating/nightlife, Nipponbashi which is similar to Akihabara in Tokyo, Osaka Aquarium and Universal Studios if you like theme parks. And it's got one of the best access to travel around the Kansai area if you got an JR Pass ;P

Ok, seems like basing my trips from Osaka is a good idea then, thanks for the info.

I'm convinced! The main reason I want to go to Hiroshima already is a video about Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki I saw like ten years ago.

Osaka not having anything interesting to go is like the complete opposite I heard from every single Japanese person the last time I was in Tokyo.

Any of you that remember my username from a month or so ago, my wife and I tried to go to Tokyo while flying standby. unfortunately we were unable to get on the flight. Either due to Spring Break popularity or Sakura blooming at that time, we just missed getting a seat.

So now we're looking to go over the summer instead. June or July. Now I know that's the rainy season and it's hot and humid. How rainy are we talking? Days of nonstop, washouts? How about temperature? I'm from Chicago, so hot 80/90 F days with high humidity is nothing usual to me for the summers....is that the type of temps to be expected in Tokyo in June/July as well?

Thanks!

So now we're looking to go over the summer instead. June or July. Now I know that's the rainy season and it's hot and humid. How rainy are we talking? Days of nonstop, washouts? How about temperature? I'm from Chicago, so hot 80/90 F days with high humidity is nothing usual to me for the summers....is that the type of temps to be expected in Tokyo in June/July as well?

There's lots of sunny days and then you can suddenly get 2-3 days of just massive downpour. Depends on your luck. There's more sunny days on average than rainy days in the whole period.

And comparing last year Chicago and Tokyo, it was about 2-3 degrees hotter in Tokyo and a bit more humid as well. If you can think about like the 2-3 worst days in Chicago, that's like every day in Tokyo.

Mendrox

Have fun in the line to get your JR Pass ;P

Using the NEX is actually not the best way to get to Sengakuji, but since you're using the JR Pass, it's the cheapest I guess. Probably best to ride the NEX to Shinagawa and then take the Keikyu train to Sengakuji, then you'll only have to change trains once.

Arrived in Dubai now. Thanks for the tip i will do the later tip :) hopefuly the queue wont be too long at 6pm... :)

Repgnar

For what it's worth, MyStays Kameido is mostly a business hotel and there was no smoke odor in the single rooms we had. I'd probably stay there again, it was decent enough.

Appreciate the info. I have a hard time believing the newer or well kept budget hotels are gonna have a smoke odor. We're planning September or October so we have some time for research before pulling the trigger.

daegan

Ok, seems like basing my trips from Osaka is a good idea then, thanks for the info.

I'm convinced! The main reason I want to go to Hiroshima already is a video about Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki I saw like ten years ago.

Osaka not having anything interesting to go is like the complete opposite I heard from every single Japanese person the last time I was in Tokyo.

Yea this is more something ppl say about Nagoya (which I had fun in the day I was there, but was just one day, lol)

25 days and counting, getting antsy now. I feel like I have a lot listed but nothing prepped properly! Too hyped either way.

@MikeHattsu whats the easiest way to get from the Narita airport to Shinjuku? And can I purchase a suica card anywhere in the airport to prep for bus travel later that day?

danowat

Banned
@MikeHattsu whats the easiest way to get from the Narita airport to Shinjuku? And can I purchase a suica card anywhere in the airport to prep for bus travel later that day?

We are using the N'ex, it goes direct, might not be the cheapest option, but seemed to (me at least) be the simplest.

Yeah, NEX is the easiest.

Hm... Where are you taking the bus? You can get a suica/pasmo card from a lot of the ticket machines:
https://www.thejapanguy.com/how-to-get-a-pasmo-card/
https://www.thejapanguy.com/how-to-get-a-suica-card/

Awesome, thanks guys! I'm also debating just taking the keisei skyliner and transferring from nippori station to the yamanote line. Oh and I just meant can we buy it in the airport at Narita, but apparently you need cash as well to purchase a suica card? Is that actually true?

Awesome, thanks guys! I'm also debating just taking the keisei skyliner and transferring from nippori station to the yamanote line. Oh and I just meant can we buy it in the airport at Narita, but apparently you need cash as well to purchase a suica card? Is that actually true?

Keisei + Yamanote will be cheaper and the transfer at Nippori is pretty easy.

You might be able to purchase a Suica card with credit card at the JR Travel Service Center, but then you'll have to wait for several hours in line with the people getting their JR Passes... Better to just get some cash from an ATM and get one from a ticket machine.

Is it really that busy?

Depends on when you arrive, but yes. People not only getting their JR Passes but taking time asking questions about how to get here and there slows the line down as well. The line is often so long that it goes outside the Travel Service Center.

Mendrox

Just arrived two hours ago. It took longer to search for everything (money and Rail Pass) than getting the pass and getting a perfect seat in the NEX. Currently riding it and iam amazed by this train even though I am from Germany. Free WiFi everywhere is awesome too. I didnt buy a Tourist sim at the airport because i want the Ninja Sim which looks like the better offer.

I think I will also walk the way to my Hotel from Shinagawa (thanks for the tip, hyperdia is still a bit confusing but I am starting to get the grip on things) which is only 14 minutes to my Hotel.

Also people are soooo kind. It's confusing at first and I feel like somebody special here csuse of that. Feels nice to meet people who are Kind and respectful on the streets like yourself. :)

Edit: Getting the JR Pass at Narita Airport at 6Pm took me less than 5 minutes.

danowat

Banned
Depends on when you arrive, but yes. People not only getting their JR Passes but taking time asking questions about how to get here and there slows the line down as well. The line is often so long that it goes outside the Travel Service Center.

We land at 9am, is there only a single TSC?, or is there multiple ones, potentially less busy?

reriel

Just arrived two hours ago. It took longer to search for everything (money and Rail Pass) than getting the pass and getting a perfect seat in the NEX. Currently riding it and iam amazed by this train even though I am from Germany. Free WiFi everywhere is awesome too. I didnt buy a Tourist sim at the airport because i want the Ninja Sim which looks like the better offer.

I think I will also walk the way to my Hotel from Shinagawa (thanks for the tip, hyperdia is still a bit confusing but I am starting to get the grip on things) which is only 14 minutes to my Hotel.

Also people are soooo kind. It's confusing at first and I feel like somebody special here csuse of that. Feels nice to meet people who are Kind and respectful on the streets like yourself. :)

Edit: Getting the JR Pass at Narita Airport at 6Pm took me less than 5 minutes.

How is the weather right now ? I'll be there next week :)

Last time I got a JR Pass I can't imagine the line was more than 3-4 people. Only took like 15 minutes to get through. This was at Haneda though, not sure if Narita is a lot worse or something.

So if I won't need the JR pass right away, I could just exchange it at a big station like Ueno, right? I'm arriving on a Friday afternoon, so maybe that's a bad time for queues.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yes. Better just check how many people are in queue and decide then if you want to wait or not.

Make sure you check the opening hours if you're exchanging it somewhere else:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/exchange.html
I'm going to activate the pass one day after arriving, and my hotel is quite close to Shinjuku station (East gate).
Guess I'll do the same to exchange my vouchers.

danowat

Banned
Damn, my trip is so, so close I can taste it........

Couple of quick final questions, I am planning to book my shinkansen trips in one go the day after we arrive, at Shinjuku station, is this a good idea?, obviously I'll look to do it outside of rush hour.

danowat

Banned
Yeah, that'll be fine.

Thanks, I'd prefer to get them all locked in as early as possible.

Weather is looking good, although looks cold for when we land in HEL, not that we're going out of the airport, hope the transfer is as easy as they say it is, because we don't have long to change planes!.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've just realized GlobalAdvancedComm hasn't sent me a shipping confirmation email for my Pocket WiFi.
They said they would send one 2 to 3 days before my arrival, but having ordered it a long time ago I honestly forgot.

...Fingers crossed they didn't fuck up my order :/

EDIT: Good grief. They did ship it.

Mendrox

I've just realized GlobalAdvancedComm hasn't sent me a shipping confirmation email for my Pocket WiFi.
They said they would send one 2 to 3 days before my arrival, but having ordered it a long time ago I honestly forgot.

...Fingers crossed they didn't fuck up my order :/

EDIT: Good grief. They did ship it.

Hmm I bought a Sim card today and Set everything up with him which was funny because everything was german but we winged it with my English anime Japanese which he thought was funny lol

Getting a Sim card at big point is easy too for anyone else :) powerbank + Smartphone is enough for me, but I am also traveling solo.

Currently sitting at the Shinto Shrine in Asakusa :) currently the weather is perfect so anyone traveling here the next days is fortunate.

Mendrox

Nice, how packed with tourists is it at the moment?

To be honest... I expected way more people but I dont feel pressured with the people in any way. So it's totally fine. Even Shinjuku right now could be...fuller? Maybe I expected to much with everyone saying that it's a full country but I can even sit in almost every train so far so... It's cool. It's very fun.

I did the Meiji Shrine, Akihabara, Asakusa Shinto Shrine, Shinjuku today and now gotta eat some delicious ramen, take an Onsen in my Hotel and then I will go to bed lol

Walked way too much today but it's so fun that I cant stop. You easily get everywhere for cheap. I filled up my card with a Balance of 4500 Yen and I still have 3600 Yen after buying three drinks and traveling around the area.

And I still havent seen anything but I already like it way more than Thailand e.g.

Edit: Takoyaki and Karaage are too delicious. What is it with this country and everything being too delicious?!

Top Bottom