• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk this Jace sounds pretty good in UW monument type decks problem is those deck are losing thraben inspector and spell queller.
A few people here need to re-read Jace's minus. The token only dies to spells, not abilities. Ballista/Gideon +1/Earthshaker Khenra don't insta-kill it.

He's still pretty bad, but the minus is actually decent.
I hate when they approximate established abilities.

A few people here need to re-read Jace's minus. The token only dies to spells, not abilities. Ballista/Gideon +1/Earthshaker Khenra don't insta-kill it.

He's still pretty bad, but the minus is actually decent.

That's better, at least, though I still don't think it's very good.

3 CMC Gideon isn't even setting the world on fire and he's a flat-out much better card.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gafers are bad at card evaluations. This discussion solidifies pirate Jace as broken and likely to be banned pre pro tour.

I don't know what deck it would even go in. None of it's abilities are particularly busted.

alternade

Jace isn't bad if there are enough 1-2 cmc creatures or counter/disruption spells to clear the way for him to come down on time. This set seems like it will be faster with all the treasure we have to accelerate us.

I'm LOVING the white vampire clerics and UG merfolk

Santiako

I have to say I'm mildly annoyed at this card:

en_Cu9bETMyt6.png

Blue and Red get Prowess, but Green gets permanent prowess? (I know it's a riff of old cards like Quirion Dryad, but still).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem Jace has is that Jace's +1 isn't good in the least, his -2 isn't even vaguely broken and his ultimate isn't either all that achievable or all that good.

The only scenario in which he does anything that great is if you have Doubling Season out. But every Planeswalker ever is good with Doubling Season.

Angry Grimace

Mono-Green Merfolk don't bother me for an obvious reason: because there's nothing inherently blue about the ocean other than the fact the blue mana symbol has a drop of water in it.

Mono-Green Merfolk don't bother me for an obvious reason: because there's nothing inherently blue about the ocean other than the fact the blue mana symbol has a drop of water in it.

Lorwyn didn't even have oceans and merfolk were UW, UB and a little UG. Wizards takes many creative freedoms with tribes.

Look at the mono white Vampires they are people of faith, a complete antithesis.

Angry Grimace

All this treasure mean it's Marionette Master's time to shine, bay-bee.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
en_q5ePSq2ZwS.png

Just noticed this. Confirmation that Vraska is working for Bolas.

Quick question about playing this card: So if the player picks up his cards and has more than seven in his hand, he will have to discard the rest, right? (Unless he/she has a card that allows more than seven, obviously.) I see the main reason to play the card, clear the battlefield, but is the above another way to think about the effectiveness of the card?

A_Dang

I have to say I'm mildly annoyed at this card:

en_Cu9bETMyt6.png

Blue and Red get Prowess, but Green gets permanent prowess? (I know it's a riff of old cards like Quirion Dryad, but still).

Forgotten Ancient and Managorger Hydra say hello. They do the same thing, but better (especially Forgotten Ancient). And Ancient is an old card, certainly pre-dating Prowess (as a keyword ability) by years.

Quick question about playing this card: So if the player picks up his cards and has more than seven in his hand, he will have to discard the rest, right? (Unless he/she has a card that allows more than seven, obviously.) I see the main reason to play the card, clear the battlefield, but is the above another way to think about the effectiveness of the card?

They don't have to discard until the very end of their own turn, which means they usually end up getting to play enough cards back out to not have to discard.

yes but only at the end of his or her turn meaning he or she have a chance to replay some of their cards and go below 8 cards. If it were an instant you could do it on their end step like the much maligned Cyclonic Rift.

Discarding down to hand size happens at end of turn, not immediately.

Forgotten Ancient and Managorger Hydra say hello. They do the same thing, but better (especially Forgotten Ancient). And Ancient is an old card, certainly pre-dating Prowess (as a keyword ability) by years.

Those two care about spells your opponents cast, not you.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
They don't have to discard until the very end of their own turn, which means they usually end up getting to play enough cards back out to not have to discard.

yes but only at the end of his or her turn meaning he has a chance to replay some of his cards and go below 8 cards. If it were an instant you could do it on his end step like the much maligned Cyclonic Rift.

Discarding down to hand size happens at end of turn, not immediately.

Thanks for the responses.

I am also becoming truly addicted to this fucking game. To the point where it's all I really think about.

Santiako

Did you not read the second of my two sentences? " (I know it's a riff of old cards like Quirion Dryad, but still)."

Non-creature spells opponents cast as a source of +1/+1's for a Green creature makes a certain kind of sense, as a "big green meathead who just gets madder and madder about NERRRRRRDS".

Maybe we can get a pre-PW Garruk print with it the next time they do time travel (never?).

A_Dang

Did you not read the second of my two sentences? " (I know it's a riff of old cards like Quirion Dryad, but still)."

I was just trying to drive home the point even further (that green has a potent/permanent version of prowess), especially because the two examples I brought up are less specific and more universal than prowess.

Angry Grimace

Not if it results in her getting upset over it an unexpectedly joining The Gatewatch.

Sets up a lot more interesting plot points IMO

I would be highly surprised if Jace even knows anything about the Gatewatch. I'm guessing he's mind-wiped again.

Angry Grimace

How else would a PW be a castaway but getting his mind wiped.

I really would have liked getting a chandra PW with her in the wheel chair.

I feel fairly confident we're going to see all four of them doing goofball shit in some backwater plane. I imagine Liliana is going to be in Dominaria given that's where she is from.

Angry Grimace

That reminds me why is Ajani on Ixalan again? He was supposed to go to Dominaria.

I would think the most valid assumption is that the Gatewatch never came back because they were brilliant and figured they'd fight Bolas head-on and failed so he went to look for then using his kitty-nose.

I would think the most valid assumption is that the Gatewatch never came back because they were brilliant and figured they'd fight Bolas head-on and failed so he went to look for then using his kitty-nose.
Paths taken through the blind eternities are only supposed to stay open for a short time IIRC but that's book knowledge which is always in flux.

Angry Grimace

PWs can chase PWs through the blind eternities, when a PW opens a path other PWs can reopen them basically and take the same.

I mean, they can just handwave it with "Ajani sensed that shit was going down on Ixalan." Thinking too hard about the Magic story is usually a bad time.

barbecube

Okay sexy Jace is all right but where are the nipples? Where were Gideon's?

It seems like they're bending over backwards to show us more man-walker skin but without any nipples or abs, this is weird.

Santiako

It could also be as simple as Ixalan taking place some time after Hour (months at least probably) and Ajani has been looking for the wonderkids in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom