• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

.hack//New World is shutting down its servers in December

RRockman

Banned
Thats what Link was. Then people complained how repetitive it was doing the usual .hack gameplay loop for 60+ hours lol. Breaking the games up gave people and the gameplay serious breathing room.

That's not quite fair. The other games had ways to mix things up. The original had grunties and Goblin chase events, G.U. had you maintain a freakin motorbike and allowed you to customise it, both had players roaming around so you could talk or barter with them for rare goods, both had large hub towns with fantastic music and atmosphere. You could also email your team members and talk with them in both games too. ( y'know discover their hidden depths and interests.)

LINK has NONE of those things. the large hub towns are now menus, your teammates technically aren't actually "people" so no emailing or communicating ether. It was just fighting and the fighting wasn't done well at all.

Best combat was G.U. By far. Being able to switch weapon types/gameplay styles on the fly and extending combos with skills that facilitate said switching is simply amazing. AI was a large improvement too!

Caim

I had played this for a little bit. It was okay.

I liked how your first roll could be rerolled until you got the character you wanted.

They gave Kite for free so I kept going until I had BlackRose.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
That's not quite fair. The other games had ways to mix things up. The original had grunties and Goblin chase events, G.U. had you maintain a freakin motorbike and allowed you to customise it
How much time did ya spend raising a Grunty or even using it? Doesn't take all that long ta raise one once ya got all the needed items an then what're they good for? Usually its quicker to pop a Speed Charm at the start of a field an run straight for the dungeon. The bike in Vol.1 was utterly worthless, slow, clunky. It got better from there but still useless outside of a quest/campaign. The time it takes ta load into/out of it never got any better. Anyways instead of raising or getting new bike equipment you build up your bases facilities in Link.

both had players roaming around so you could talk or barter with them for rare goods, both had large hub towns with fantastic music and atmosphere.
Link has players in Towns and Areas ya can talk to.

You could also email your team members and talk with them in both games too. ( y'know discover their hidden depths and interests.)
That was replaced with the fskits which are often comical but also show some more about a character / group of characters.

It was just fighting and the fighting wasn't done well at all.
Fighting was more well done then G.U. in that battles don't take ages. Link took after IMOQ in that respect.

RRockman

Banned
How much time did ya spend raising a Grunty or even using it? Doesn't take all that long ta raise one once ya got all the needed items an then what're they good for? Usually its quicker to pop a Speed Charm at the start of a field an run straight for the dungeon. The bike in Vol.1 was utterly worthless, slow, clunky. It got better from there but still useless outside of a quest/campaign. The time it takes ta load into/out of it never got any better. Anyways instead of raising or getting new bike equipment you build up your bases facilities in Link.

There's races that you can enter with your Grunties to win items to raise your max HP and SP as well as art. I combed entire areas to get different fruit for grunties so I could see all of the types.

Link has players in Towns and Areas ya can talk to
This doesn't excuse the fact that they are menu based now and you can't even walk around. You're missing that MMORPG feel if you can't see people walking around and seeing snippets of their chat above their heads as they run by you.

That was replaced with the fskits which are often comical but also show some more about a character / group of characters.

I guess this is a personal preference thing but I'd rather have that in tandem with the email system past games had. I really like how they immerse you in the player character's shoes that way. Like it was really cool to find out Wiseman/
Yata
was into
digimon cards of all things
and seemed pretty realistic for something like that to come out via a one on one discourse than in a skit.

Fighting was more well done then G.U. in that battles don't take ages. Link took after IMOQ in that respect.
I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. G.U. had a nice flow to it in combat.
The only time fights took forever in G.U. was when I was under-leveled IMO. Like the
fight with Ovan in Vol 3
took forever when I was rushing through but I beat him quickly once I stepped back leveled up for a bit.

cLOUDo

.hack will live on...

Through Sword Art Online...

tumblr_n7lcfk896e1qleyp9o1_250.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The fact we don't have remasters of IMOQ and GU is one of gaming's biggest crimes right now.

I refuse to accept SAO as the only MMO simulator. Kite is an actual character!

MogCakes

SAO has nothing on .Hack and never will. Log Horizon has a better chance if it ever becomes a video game. I know CC2 is working on VIIR so they're tied up, but .Hack is completely dead in the water if they don't make an actual console jRPG game of it in the next few years.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
There's races that you can enter with your Grunties to win items to raise your max HP and SP as well as art. I combed entire areas to get different fruit for grunties so I could see all of the types.
Once ya take 1st place in the race the rewards go downhill so unless ya feel like goofing off / improving your times its a once an done thing. Dun remember having ta seriously explore for Grunty Food since almost all of its thrown at you in bulk an ya don't need terribly many to raise each new set of grunties.

This doesn't excuse the fact that they are menu based now and you can't even walk around. You're missing that MMORPG feel if you can't see people walking around and seeing snippets of their chat above their heads as they run by you.
The presentation is one of the things I feel like they failed at in Link but that wasn't the point? The players are there for better or worse.

I guess this is a personal preference thing but I'd rather have that in tandem with the email system past games had. I really like how they immerse you in the player character's shoes that way. Like it was really cool to find out Wiseman/
Yata
was into
digimon cards of all things
and seemed pretty realistic for something like that to come out via a one on one discourse than in a skit.
I think the skits are a nice twist since they can add depth to multiple characters at a time. Instead of their relationship with main character as was in the previous series, we get interpersonal scenes between up to 4 characters. Besides since we played/watched/read the previous .hack stuff we already know these characters so seeing how they interact with others provides new takes on 'em.

I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. G.U. had a nice flow to it in combat.
The only time fights took forever in G.U. was when I was under-leveled IMO. Like the
fight with Ovan in Vol 3
took forever when I was rushing through but I beat him quickly once I stepped back leveled up for a bit.
Underleveled, same-leveled, slightly above the areas level are all times battles go slowly in G.U. When it takes multiple rengekis to bring down a single monster out of a possible 3 max, a bunch of which can call in backup, ya gotta admit things are slow. The cooldown time on skills/items also makes things drag out. Not to mention excessively high SP costs on every skill/spell causing your allies to run out and get stuck in basic attack mode just a short ways into an area. In IMOQ ya could be underleveled and still blow through baddies in short order if ya know what you're doing. In G.U. its all about your level compared to theirs.

Kalentan

The fact we don't have remasters of IMOQ and GU is one of gaming's biggest crimes right now.

I refuse to accept SAO as the only MMO simulator. Kite is an actual character!

I really liked Haseo imho. Really grew to like him over the course of 3 games. Also I like how he was actually Sora from .hack//sign. Makes him using Skeith all the more awesome after what happened to him.

I forgot outside the Sora-Skeith thing and Balmung making a brief appearence in Signs... How much did SIGNS even matter to the original quadrilogy.

NsirhC

This sucks.. I didn't even know about this and they're already closing the servers :/

My only hope is somehow the emergence of VR will eventually lead to the re-imagining of the .hack series and The World.

Mozendo

While G.U. made me lose the love I had in the series for essentially being the Shadow The Hedgehog of action RPGs, its still sad that CC2 refuses to give fans what they want

Kalentan

While G.U. made me lose the love I had in the series for essentially being the Shadow The Hedgehog of action RPGs, its still sad that CC2 refuses to give fans what they want

I began to watch some of the cutscenes on youtube to refresh myself with how the characters in the game moved and such and... you know. It really would work in VR now. Like it could function just like the games did, granted not as much over the body (mainly head movement and maybe mouth movement based on either text (like FFXIV) or based on your mic), but I really feel like you take the general systems of G.U. and just make it exactly that but actually online and with VR.

Hell, it doesn't even need to be super realistic, in fact I'd love for it to be an HD version of that art style.

I... I just find it funny that we're now at that point where we have set ups that look just like the anime did and yet we still don't have our 'The World'.

302713.jpg

PSVR(6).jpg

Like we're there! Finally! Can they at least try? Please? :(

Edit: Hell look at this...

latest

Even G.U. took place in 2016. :(

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Tried it when they put .hack stuff into it, but it felt so bland that I don't think I even got through the whole tutorial. :(

As for people asking for GU in HD. Really? Am I the only one thinking those fields and dungeons got super repetitive around the second game?

Anyone suggesting you can just re-release the quadrillogy... F- off. Those were god awful games that were intentionally stretched and filled with busy work to force you to buy 4 games in a horrible failed episodic way on ps2. Also so much X mashing!

GU holds up better, but even it's third disk starts to fall into this as well with repeated virus fights...

Either make a new traditional .hack game, or remake the original and cut 50 hours of filler and remake the combat system from scratch.

i-Jest

The old games have already faded into obscurity. Bandai Namco refuses to acknowledge the series outside Japan. They wouldn't even TRY to give us .Hack//Versus and Link as digital releases. The series is just as ignored by them as the Shining Force series is by Sega, but atleast some of the Shinning Force games got a re-release on the Virtual Console.

I actually regret not giving the mobile games a chance though. God know the series NEEDS all the support it can get.

I began to watch some of the cutscenes on youtube to refresh myself with how the characters in the game moved and such and... you know. It really would work in VR now. Like it could function just like the games did, granted not as much over the body (mainly head movement and maybe mouth movement based on either text (like FFXIV) or based on your mic), but I really feel like you take the general systems of G.U. and just make it exactly that but actually online and with VR.

Hell, it doesn't even need to be super realistic, in fact I'd love for it to be an HD version of that art style.

I... I just find it funny that we're now at that point where we have set ups that look just like the anime did and yet we still don't have our 'The World'.

302713.jpg

PSVR(6).jpg

Like we're there! Finally! Can they at least try? Please? :(

Edit: Hell look at this...

latest

Even G.U. took place in 2016. :(

Whoa, your right. It's so eeire just how close we are to something like that now.

i-Jest

They are suppose to be making an open-world game and an VR game currently so there that....but dunno how those will go.

Open world and VR? Any chance of this being .Hack related?

VR's becoming a thing. Why not just make The World already?

Give everybody a chance to go into a game-induced coma.

Watch the SAO fans use this as some sort of sick hype :p But really though CC2 has got to see the writing on the wall. We litterally have the tech now to make this kind of thing. Provided it's worth the investment, the tech will only get better.

But price of hardware is a big issue with consumers right now. VR is just too expensive for most. What's the point in making a game most people won't have the money to play? They want it but the barrier to entry is pretty high. I'd like to see The World VR happen one day when the barrier to entry isn't a big issue, for most, though.

Mozendo

Anyone suggesting you can just re-release the quadrillogy... F- off. Those were god awful games that were intentionally stretched and filled with busy work to force you to buy 4 games in a horrible failed episodic way on ps2. Also so much X mashing!
And you can't say the same about .G.U.? G.U. has better combat and a better Altimit/ BBS but IMOQ had a better story, characters, atmosphere, etc. I'd go as far to say that the story about The World R:2 would have made for a better story than the actual one. G.U.
GU holds up better, but even it's third disk starts to fall into this as well with repeated virus fights...
No, it's start to get repetitive within the very first few hours of Rebirth, it has less variety than IMOQ.

It doesn't even have t o be a VR specific game honestly since the camera might be a problem. Just make a PSO2 competitor, that's all they need to do.

Top Bottom