• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

knicks

Holy shit.....
KuGsj.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Like before on the PS4 problems, if true, we must wait to see as it develops how wide spread it is. Launch issues will always occur on some units, and it's a shame... so concern is for immediate expedited replacements and for it to be relatively isolated.

I don't think it's chewing the disc. One of the videos has the disc ejected pretty easily, and it didn't appear to be damaged.

However, I do have to wonder if this is the great shitstorm that CBOAT foretold, or just another Blue Light Of Death overblown minor issue.

Like before on the PS4 problems, if true, we must wait to see as it develops how wide spread it is. Launch issues will always occur on some units, and it's a shame... so concern is for immediate expedited replacements and for it to be relatively isolated.

Yea. People are going to get broken consoles. Shit happens

Skilletor

I saw one video where the lights blinked red.

MS, why would you use red lights again? lol

I doubt this is a big deal. Internet makes everybody think things are a lot worse than they are. MS isn't going to let another RROD fiasco happen.

FranXico

Until more data comes to expose any underlying problem, these are just launch batch defects, it is unfortunate and sucks, but it always happens.

I feel bad for the people who had this nasty surprise. I am sure MS will solve their problem.

Metfanant

design choice, not a compromise...

in all seriousness though i find it interesting that they all make nearly the exact same sound, for the same amount of time...sounds like a very specific malfunction with the disc drive...that is a little worrisome...but in fairness, just like with the PS4 these things need to be taken into context, and MUCH MUCH more evidence is needed to even begin to think its a widespread problem...

i do however wonder, if the media will play this up like the PS4 errors on launch day...

FranXico

nobody is making it into a scandal... not yet at least. people are just posting videos of their problems.

please explain how this is easily fixable.

I am not sure about "fixable", but I think he means that MS will promptly replace any defective units.

Petrae

Perfect opportunity for a vocally gifted person to perform a "Snake Eater" parody called "Disc Eater".

UberTag

So GAF... what are we calling this one? Grindgate?
Still not seeing any disc damage outside of the noise and discs not being read.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

UPDATE: And just like that the nightmare is over. 11 hours after I first plugged the console in, it has started working of its own accord, without me changing anything. I wasn't even in the room when it moved into the proper console setup. What a relief. Thanks to the people who were nice in the comments. The rest of you are your own punishment.

How is it easily fixable if the drive is shot? Wouldn't they need to replace it?

Just buy your games and movies digitally. Problem solved

Top Bottom