• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

Iacobellis

360 used:

Samsung
Hitachi
Benq
Lite-on

For what it's worth.

But for some reason, they were all missing the protective tabs that prevent the disc from touching the lens. No idea why this went down, but that's why the console was so prone to scratching discs.

oh man, can you imagine what would happen if the console couldn't read disk and overheated at the same time.

Broken Blu-Ray is a feature. You can't overheat your console if you can't install and play a game.

Joking aside. Sorry to hear anyone is having a problem. That's got to be an awful feeling to be so hyped to get a console on day one and then not have it work.

I felt bad for missing the midnight PS4 launch and had to get it in the morning but these guys are going to have to wait days to get a return back.

Petrae

I felt bad for missing the midnight PS4 launch and had to get it in the morning but these guys are going to have to wait days to get a return back.

3-5 business days, by the sounds of folks sharing on the Xbox forums. So that's probably a good week or so before they'll get to make any use of their $500 investments and, for those who took time off from their jobs to play with it, make that time off a waste.

I genuinely feel for those who got hosed here. Unlucky.

GavinGT

Banned
if it is i can't think of a worse thing to hold from potential consumers. what's CBOAT going to say:

"yeah, this is what we knew about, we just wanted people to throw away $500 for shits and giggles"

There are worse things than being without your console for a day, or a week, or two weeks, or whatever. It's better for these things to happen right at launch than to present themselves years down the line.

This seems perfectly comparable to the PS4 HDMI thing, in that it's a pure manufacturing defect. It doesn't appear to be indicative of a ticking time bomb like RROD.

Another....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHK_KIc8P90

LbkoOU9.png

Donos

Things like this get always blown out of proportion. This will only happen to a tiny % of buyers. Still really sucks for the people who are affected.

Look at every Iphone release or any other major electronic device. Always a bunch of bad units.

mjontrix

Some days, you go, through the raaaaain
Some days, you feed, on a BLUUUUU RAAAAAAY

What a thrill...
With darkness and grinding through the night
What a thrill...
I'm searching and I'll insert my disc into you
What a fear in my heart
But you're so supreme!

I'd give my discs
Not for honour, but for you! [Disc Eater]
In my time there'll be no physical
Crime, it's the way I fly to you! [Disc Eater]
I'm still in a digital world,
Disc Eater!

Someday you go through the rain
And someday, you feed on a Blu-ray
This ordeal, The trial to survive
For the day we see new light!

I'd give my discs
Disc Eater!

I am still in a digital world,
Disc Eater!

[Disc Eater]

Petrae

There are worse things than being without your console for a day, or a week, or two weeks, or whatever. It's better for these things to happen right at launch than to present themselves years down the line.

This seems perfectly comparable to the PS4 HDMI thing, in that it's a pure manufacturing defect. It doesn't appear to be indicative of a ticking time bomb like RROD.

At the same time... I can understand the frustration in paying half a grand (and then some for games and accessories), bringing the thing home, hooking it up, taking that deep breath... here it comes, I can't wait...

Click of death.

I'd be rip-roaring pissed. Yeah, I get that I asked for it by picking up a launch unit, but it's still anger-inducing and confidence-deflating towards the company that made your lemon. When it happened with my PlayStation back in 1995, I ripped into the manager at Electronics Boutique and then ripped into Sony customer service. If I'd had YouTube back then, I would've made a video about spending $400+ overall on something that gave me a bouncing screen. Worse-- Sony could do nothing about it and told me to get a new TV.

Keep in mind, too, that some people planned their lives around this launch. Many took time off from work or school. They fit it into their schedules and were genuinely excited. You can't get that time back. It's lost... especially if it's time off from work. Sure, you don't have to work, but now your whole purpose for that time off is gone.

Ranger35

Neo Member
Well my Xbox One works fine. No install or connection issues. Easy set up, played some dead rising 3, and now on a break! :)

Petrae

What a thrill...
What a thrill...
What a fear in my heart
But you're so supreme!

I'd give my discs
Disc Eater!

I'd give my discs
Disc Eater!

Disc Eater!

[Disc Eater]

Well done. I didn't think anyone would actually do it. :)

Touch

"it will sound like a chainsaw...it'll kill the disc once and for all.. all all all"

/hide

but for real I hope this doesn't turn out to be a thing like 360. :(

jWILL253

Banned
I know the forum portal was posted, but here's the direct link to the thread about Xbox ONE's disc failures: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1625602.aspx?PageIndex=1

Also, here's a quote from a post in that same thread, on page 4. Anecdotal, but might be damning:

yes i just got off the phone this is a pre launch problem that they knew about and shipped them anyway, they said so on the phone. call them tell them your store is sold out and they will send you a replacement in 3 to 5 days. its happening to 50% of the consoles, its already being called the click of death.

Have no idea why customer support would say anything like that, but still...

King_Moc

Banned
At the same time... I can understand the frustration in paying half a grand (and then some for games and accessories), bringing the thing home, hooking it up, taking that deep breath... here it comes, I can't wait...

Click of death.

I'd be rip-roaring pissed. Yeah, I get that I asked for it by picking up a launch unit, but it's still anger-inducing and confidence-deflating towards the company that made your lemon. When it happened with my PlayStation back in 1995, I ripped into the manager at Electronics Boutique and then ripped into Sony customer service. If I'd had YouTube back then, I would've made a video about spending $400+ overall on something that gave me a bouncing screen. Worse-- Sony could do nothing about it and told me to get a new TV.

Keep in mind, too, that some people planned their lives around this launch. Many took time off from work or school. They fit it into their schedules and were genuinely excited. You can't get that time back. It's lost... especially if it's time off from work. Sure, you don't have to work, but now your whole purpose for that time off is gone.

Yeah, very true. I'll be gutted if my PS4 doesn't work on launch day. Though Mario 3D World will soften that blow.

If both companies maintain a failure rate in line with what you'd expect from a consumer electronics launch, then fair enough though. You can't help the fact that a small percentage just won't work.

TTSupra

Banned
What a thrill...
What a thrill...
What a fear in my heart
But you're so supreme!

I'd give my discs
Disc Eater!

I'd give my discs
Disc Eater!

Disc Eater!

[Disc Eater]

21st Century Edgar Allen Poe is here guys!

thelastword

Banned
No, I never saw so many videos of problems at the PS4 launch. What's worrying here, is that so many buyers have the same bluray drive issues.

We also can't isolate the problem by saying that perhaps one retailer got a bad batch of consoles etc....as we've had similar bluray error reports from people both in the Usa and in Europe and it appears that more said reports are trickling in to youtube as we speak.

At least with the PS4 you could sort out the pins on the bent hdmi slot, there is no easy fix here in this case, you either have to get a replacement from your store or from Microsoft.

Lucifon

No, I never saw so many videos of problems at the PS4 launch. What's worrying here, is that so many buyers have the same bluray drive issues.

You have to remember this thing is launching in a large number of countries today. The PS4 has only arrived in the US so far.

Top Bottom