• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I do recall someone selling a HD6950 in the B/S/T thread here for about $130. It seems like the sites I've seen comparing them have them pretty even, but does anyone here have firsthand experience in why one might be better than the other? I've not used a Radeon card in years.
I think you are confusing a 560Ti with the 560. It's easy to do, and NVIDIA does it on purpose. 6950 is better than both, but by a substantial margin over the 560.

kharma45

Going to finally buy the first part of my PC, the SSD.

So, Samsung 840 (I'd imagine not lol), Crucial M4 or the Kingston SSDNow V300?

Kingston is the cheapest, seems to be quite new too.

Too late to talk you out of this?

Im all ears for compelling arguements. Two things I can't really change at the moment...

That is the Monitor and Graphics Card... but if the arguement is good enough for the Graphics Card I can do that too.

I don't mind you getting nitty gritty technical, I'd prefer that actually.

What I'd do, is point you to an article that goes over this much better than I do. TechReport's article on gaming with modern CPUs.

Basically, even an i3 outperforms AMD's offerings. It's a sad state.

The AMDs you are looking at in the article are the Zambezi chips... the FX8350 is a Vishera

Now I will point you to this article
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-5.html

That said, yes AMD is lagging behind, I get that, however Im talking about the 199 price range of this specific CPU. Consider it a new iCore generation. Zambezi != Vishera

kharma45

The AMDs you are looking at in the article are the Zambezi chips... the FX8350 is a Vishera

Now I will point you to this article
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-5.html

That said, yes AMD is lagging behind, I get that, however Im talking about the 199 price range of this specific CPU. Consider it a new iCore generation. Zambezi != Vishera

As good a price as it is I'm UK based so it's no good sadly :) Over here I can get the Kingston for £76, Samsung for £77 or the Crucial for £79.

Will a GTX 670 be sufficient for gaming at 1440p? I think it's the maximum I can spend, but I really want the 1440p monitor.

And another question: Will I need a displayport cable or can I use the DVI cable which comes with the monitor (Dell U2713HM)?

I get that, but they haven't improved them enough where it counts.

http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed

*edit*

This is about gaming PC's, not workstations. If someone were asking me for a great build that does encoding on a budget, then Vishera starts to become relevant. As it is, there is no replacement for per-thread performance in games.

Totally understand, as for gaming I see where I can save that 60 bucks and maybe funnel it into a better GPU, but for the variety of things I am doing I dont mind the 10% hit in some gaming performance.

I will explore trying to find out how I can shoehorn a i5 in to that build. (overclocking this chip looks fun though)

mkenyon

Banned
Totally understand, as for gaming I see where I can save that 60 bucks and maybe funnel it into a better GPU, but for the variety of things I am doing I dont mind the 10% hit in some gaming performance.

I will explore trying to find out how I can shoehorn a i5 in to that build. (overclocking this chip looks fun though)
60? It's a $15 difference for a 2500K.

*edit*

$3 difference. It's 203 on Amazon.

MoogPaul

Hey everyone, I'm building a computer for the first time in 12 years. Since then I've fallen completely out of the loop and really don't have any idea when it comes to components. I went mac OS for college and never really went back. Basically, I'm looking to get away with playing the upcoming new releases for the next year or 2 or 3 on the master race and lots of ps2 and dolphin emulation. I'm pretty much going to follow the Hazaro Excellent Build.

My build currently sitting in a new egg shopping cart: Click

Are there any small things that I might have missed? Does the thermal paste come with the CPU or heat sink or do I have to buy it separately? Do I need a bracket for a SSD with the bitfenix shinobi?

I would love to get some feedback before I bite the bullet. Be gentle PC gaf, it has been some time.

Shambles

Hey everyone, I'm building a computer for the first time in 12 years. Since then I've fallen completely out of the loop and really don't have any idea when it comes to components. I went mac OS for college and never really went back. Basically, I'm looking to get away with playing the upcoming new releases for the next year or 2 or 3 on the master race and lots of ps2 and dolphin emulation. I'm pretty much going to follow the Hazaro Excellent Build.

Are there any small things that I might have missed? Does the thermal paste come with the CPU or heat sink or do I have to buy it separately? Do I need a bracket for a SSD with the bitfenix shinobi?

I would love to get some feedback before I bite the bullet. Be gentle PC gaf, it has been some time.

The Hyper 212 comes will a small syringe of thermal paste which will be enough for many applications, so don't worry about buying any. I can't speak to the Shinobi but it looks like it doesn't come with a 2.5" adapter based on neweggs pictures. One of the reviews also confirms this.

kharma45

If you're just gaming you don't need 16GB of RAM, just get this stuff http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00592002W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

TheDeadSinger

Neo Member
Dell XPS 720 (silver metal case w/ red plastic)
Your Current Specs:
q6600 2.4ghz intel core 2 quad /
4gb, i think it's ddr2) /
Motherboard NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
BFG nvidia GTX 280 1GB ) /
1000W - it's a special size, don't think it'll fit in the new build. /
Case - Dell XPS 720

Budget: $450
Main Use: 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming-2,
Gaming-5,
Emulation (PS2/Wii)-3,
Video Editing-4,
HD Streaming-3,
3D/Model work-5,
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)-2. (that's what the linux partition is for)

Monitor Resolution: 1080p/120hz (benQ... you know, the gaming one.) no, not upgrading for awhile.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
3ds max, STALKER: COP, Borderlands 2, BF3,
Is 30FPS acceptable? i really want at least 45fps. and i know i'm wasting my 120hz if it's under 60.
Will you use CUDA accelerated software? no idea.
Looking to reuse any parts?: my HDD - 1TB sata II, SSD - 120gb sata III, perhaps my BFG Nvidia GTX 280, optical drives.
When will you build?: within the week, tho if you've got something else that's coming in 6 weeks, i'll listen... a price drop or a performance increase
Will you be overclocking?: about 500 mhz, not too much. doesn't turbo boost do the job adequately?

---okay. here's an accurate look at the specs:
i want a smaller, lighter case, this one is 70+ lbs. i want a quiet computer, if that's feasible. i want a new mobo and a new CPU. i would like firewire and an optical toslink audio out.
and you know how some cases put the HDD bays perpendicular to the case, so you can't add a pata-to-sata adapter? i hate that.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zpkU

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zpkU
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zpkU/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zpkU/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $395.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 20:18 EST-0500)
---someone suggest a micro ATX? i'm only ever gonna use 1 video card, i'll probably get a heat sink, if it would mean a quieter or longer lasting computer.
i got the z77 for futureproofing. an i5k or i7k will be a major upgrade still, when the prices have dropped or when i have some more money?
do i need a 550? i can't see myself spending more than $300 on a video card, unless you think i'll need it for 3ds max, building PC games...
also.... what about AMD CPU's? no love?
yes, and something that i would REALLY like... is to make this a hackintosh. really i would. i need to see what kind of parts restrictions that will give me...
---anandtech comparisons of the q6600 CPU i have and the i3-3225 aren't enough to justify the $130, i think i'll bite the bullet now and get an i5-3570k, those numbers are all about doubled, for an extra $90. it's still in my budget, mostly.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I can't wait to upgrade. My P6T i7-920 has served me well, but it needs to retire to a general living room PC and just live out its golden years.

June needs to get here already. What does everyone think the new Intel CPU prices will come out as?

kharma45

I can't wait to upgrade. My P6T i7-920 has served me well, but it needs to retire to a general living room PC and just live out its golden years.

June needs to get here already. What does everyone think the new Intel CPU prices will come out as?

Same as they are at the minute roughly.

Shambles

I'm expecting each price point to jump $10-$20.

Sarcasm

Answers for each:

64gb is alright but i think the sweet spot is 128gb right now (especially for the crazy $70-80 deals that went on last year). You can have the OS, programs and some games plus you can use Steam mover tool to transfer certain steam games when you desire. Hopefully the 256s get cheap enough.

it should bump the score up but that Windows experience thing is fucking bunk and relegated to some epeen bullshit imo.

Yea Samsung dropped out of the HDD sector and sold it to Seagate but the SSD side is all Samsung.

its generally recommended to completely match them and its not hard just buy another batch of the one you bought before. (i.e bought a 8gb venegenance aka 2X4gb sticks, just get another one so you will have 4x4gb sticks, assuming your motherboard has enough slots)

I live in Taiwan so I got my stuff from a vendor in Taipei..just have to find that vendor again I guess lol.

But thanks..I may just shell out for the 256 if the price is decent. I plan to keep DOTA 2 on the SSD atleast =D

kharma45

Bought myself a Kingston SSDNow V300, £69 from Amazon. Reviews were good across the board for it so here's to hoping it lives up to expectations!

I just did the math, thanks to you all I've improved my build, and cut the price down by about $150 the only thing I've compromised on is going to a lesser case, and a slightly lesser storage SD. IN fact, some of my other components are now much better :). Thanks for all the help, hope to start purchasing this weekend, assembly in 2 weeks after I get through some grad school applications.

Here's what it's looking like, at this point the only question is the GPU. I'd put that 7870XT or MYST on there, but it's not in the PC Part picker list, so I'll probalby go ahead and another 30 in to pick that up.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.51 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($217.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $955.40
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 23:04 EST-0500)

I'm Stoked :)

Okay, finalized my build (I think). Can you please advise on the current components?
-Is this motherboard sufficient for the chosen parts?
-Do you foresee any issues with the components fitting in the case?
-Any advice? This is my first build.

I haven't gotten much response previously and want to build this as soon as possible. I appreciate the help.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($117.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (Black) ATX Desktop Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1377.85
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 22:27 EST-0500)

Edit: that Cooler Master case, the specifications state, "Supports 240mm radiators with extra clearance for thick, high performance radiators or push-pull fan configurations." What exactly is this referring to?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Alright folks. Now is the time for space war. I've been playing a lot of Planetside2. After 30 hours and twenty dollars I've reached the top of the learning curve and the view is glorious. It's the most amazing experience gaming currently has to offer. It has literally ALL the graphics you've ever seen. All at once. Especially with a tweaked user config file, it is virtual reality. And the rush. My god, the rush it gives you when you're shooting guys one by one, dozen after dozen, wave after wave. They just keep coming and you just keep blowing them up. Sometimes you blow up so many guys all at once that you can't see anything and even if you could see, all you'd notice is OTHER people blowing guys up too. The game is euphoric in its chaos. You can't take time to notice the 25 gunships spiraling around each other shedding missiles by the tens of dozens because you'll miss the 15 invisible snipers just behind the horizon who are all aiming at you. You can't take a sip of beer as you spawn in because you're falling through the clouds from a drop pod and you'll miss the opportunity to crash into an enemy helicopter. The game is relentless. Is spellbinding. As you're whisked away in an airship on to the next objective you see what was once an infinite battlefield of plasma fire and fallen bodies become a speck in the distance and you remember that this isn't a map. It isn't a level. It's an entire world.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Looks like February 6th is the date I get to start buying the last 4 main pieces of the puzzle. Thus far, I've bought.....

-Corsair 500R (w/free 16GB USB 3.0 thumb drive)
-4 Corsair SP120 fans
-1 80mm LED fan
-Artic Silver
-Seasonic x850
-4 Samsung 4GB DDR3 1600 DIMMS

Total cost thus far, 402.90USD

4 big things to get and they are the big ones.

-Intel 3930k 569.99
-ASUS Sabertooth X79 329.99
-MSI Lightning 680 499.99
-Corsair h100i 109.99 (if the price stays on sale)

Final price - 1912.86. Of course, I sold my old rig to a friend on Steam for 500 (2500k, 6970, 8GB RAM, MB, etc) so that alleviates some of my cost.

Alright folks. Now is the time for space war. I've been playing a lot of Planetside2. After 30 hours and twenty dollars I've reached the top of the learning curve and the view is glorious. It's the most amazing experience gaming currently has to offer. It has literally ALL the graphics you've ever seen. All at once. Especially with a tweaked user config file, it is virtual reality. And the rush. My god, the rush it gives you when you're shooting guys one by one, dozen after dozen, wave after wave. They just keep coming and you just keep blowing them up. Sometimes you blow up so many guys all at once that you can't see anything and even if you could see, all you'd notice is OTHER people blowing guys up too. The game is euphoric in its chaos. You can't take time to notice the 25 gunships spiraling around each other shedding missiles by the tens of dozens because you'll miss the 15 invisible snipers just behind the horizon who are all aiming at you. You can't take a sip of beer as you spawn in because you're falling through the clouds from a drop pod and you'll miss the opportunity to crash into an enemy helicopter. The game is relentless. Is spellbinding. As you're whisked away in an airship on to the next objective you see what was once an infinite battlefield of plasma fire and fallen bodies become a speck in the distance and you remember that this isn't a map. It isn't a level. It's an entire world.

I've heard the Vanu Sovereignty is behind that Nvidia Titan card.

LegendX48

reading through some of the posts here about AMD and Intel processors makes me feel kinda silly for buying a phenom II x4 965 BE cpu fairly recently >_<

DEO3

I have a question regarding the Windows 8 upgrade that's available right now for $40.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Pro, but I've got a new CPU/Motherboard/Memory/SSD on the way. Once they arrive and I have them installed, I'd like to be able to put a clean install of Windows 8 on my new SSD without having to install my copy of Windows 7 first. Is that possible with the upgrade? Like can I buy it now with my current system before the offer ends (on the 29th I think?), then install it later on my new system? Or how would I go about doing this?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I have a question regarding the Windows 8 upgrade that's available right now for $40.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Pro, but I've got a new CPU/Motherboard/Memory/SSD on the way. Once they arrive and I have them installed, I'd like to be able to put a clean install of Windows 8 on my new SSD without having to install my copy of Windows 7 first. Is that possible with the upgrade? Like can I buy it now with my current system before the offer ends (on the 29th I think?), then install it later on my new system? Or how would I go about doing this?

To my understanding if you get a product key for Windows 8 all you need to do is find a bootable image of windows 8 and when prompted insert the product key.

Why man? Why? Do you have a touch screen monitor? If not I just don't understand.

mkenyon

Banned
I just did the math, thanks to you all I've improved my build, and cut the price down by about $150 the only thing I've compromised on is going to a lesser case, and a slightly lesser storage SD. IN fact, some of my other components are now much better :). Thanks for all the help, hope to start purchasing this weekend, assembly in 2 weeks after I get through some grad school applications.

Here's what it's looking like, at this point the only question is the GPU. I'd put that 7870XT or MYST on there, but it's not in the PC Part picker list, so I'll probalby go ahead and another 30 in to pick that up.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.51 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($217.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $955.40
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 23:04 EST-0500)

I'm Stoked :)
Looks solid!
Okay, finalized my build (I think). Can you please advise on the current components?
-Is this motherboard sufficient for the chosen parts?
-Do you foresee any issues with the components fitting in the case?
-Any advice? This is my first build.

I haven't gotten much response previously and want to build this as soon as possible. I appreciate the help.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($117.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (Black) ATX Desktop Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1377.85
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 22:27 EST-0500)

Edit: that Cooler Master case, the specifications state, "Supports 240mm radiators with extra clearance for thick, high performance radiators or push-pull fan configurations." What exactly is this referring to?
I'd swap the RAM for something low profile.

The radiators they are referring to are either H100-esque closed loop coolers with fans on either side of them like this:

img9619c.jpg

Or the thick radiator that you can see in the front of my case here:

This is why Jtwo is my favorite poster on GAF. I might have to play this at a LAN I'm hosting this weekend. I'm the last one in my group holding out on PS2.

Mangotron

As far as I'm aware, if you make a bootable usb/dvd with a regular Win 8 iso (widely available online, I think from MS themselves) and enter the key you get, it will work like a regular copy of Win 8.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Well that sounds pretty awesome.

I've never even looked at this game; but I just watched the GameTrailers review. Looks pretty good (if a bit mindless and twitchy); but I think I'll give it a download.

Viperik

Banned
Will a GTX 670 be sufficient for gaming at 1440p? I think it's the maximum I can spend, but I really want the 1440p monitor.

Do you mind playing at around 30 fps with some of the more demanding games currently released? Everything else you should be good. I run a 670 SLI setup with a 4.8 Ghz 2500K @1440p and I get around 60 fps on all games save for Metro and Crysis.

Past 1080p I think AMD cards scale better (Crossfire). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

reading through some of the posts here about AMD and Intel processors makes me feel kinda silly for buying a phenom II x4 965 BE cpu fairly recently >_<

iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it too much though -- the Phenom IIs were pretty competitive bang for the buck, so if you got a good deal on it, it's a fine option. The higher-end x4s actually tend to handle games a bit better than AMD's newer processors.

DEO3

To my understanding if you get a product key for Windows 8 all you need to do is find a bootable image of windows 8 and when prompted insert the product key.

Why man? Why? Do you have a touch screen monitor? If not I just don't understand.

It sounds dumb, but other than my video card, this is the first major upgrade I've been able to do in nearly six years. Because of that I kind of want the upgrade to feel like a whole new system (hence a clean install of a brand new OS), and seeing as Windows 8 is currently available for $40, now would be the perfect time for me to try it. Worst case scenario is I install something like Start8 and forget that any of that Metro stuff even exists.

So the consensus is to buy the upgrade now, get a key, then just find a bootable .iso of Windows 8 to do a clean install with onto my new SSD, using the key I got previously?

mkenyon

Banned
Do you mind playing at around 30 fps with some of the more demanding games currently released? Everything else you should be good. I run a 670 SLI setup with a 4.8 Ghz 2500K @1440p and I get around 60 fps on all games save for Metro and Crysis.

Past 1080p I think AMD cards scale better (Crossfire). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Do you mean 60 FPS as an upper boundary? Because a single 670 should have no problem having frame times under 8.3ms (120fps) in most games.
What do you consider low profile? Is it the size of the ram that concerns you? How do I even tell what would be okay size wise?
Thanks for the response.
The samsung RAM in the post above your build is a good 'un. Basically, get ram that doesn't have huge fins and things sticking out of the top.
iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it too much though -- the Phenom IIs were pretty competitive bang for the buck, so if you got a good deal on it, it's a fine option. The higher-end x4s actually tend to handle games a bit better than AMD's newer processors.
It's baffling, isn't it?

LiquidMetal14

Any PSU experts want to chime in on this inquiry?

Got the Seasonic x850, reading one of the reviews, it stated that the PSU can draw around 1000 from the wall. Stellar reviews.

I will be overclockin my 3930k, have SLI 680's or better (at some point), 1SSD, 1HDD, DVD drive, h100i, and around 8 case fans including the 4 for the h100i. How much power draw does that equate to? I've never pushed my PSU to the limits but it seems like having all that goodness would really start to make the PSU work.

Do you mean 60 FPS as an upper boundary? Because a single 670 should have no problem having frame times under 8.3ms (120fps) in most games.

The samsung RAM in the post above your build is a good 'un. Basically, get ram that doesn't have huge fins and things sticking out of the top.

It's baffling, isn't it?

Are you sure that it won't fit? I am partial to that ram based on the reviews.

Any other advice on my build?

mkenyon

Banned
Are you sure that it won't fit? I am partial to that ram based on the reviews.

Any other advice on my build?
Get the same RAM, just the low profile version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

In either case, the Samsung is a way better product. If you like it for the black heatsinks, then get the low profile version above. It helps avoid all sorts of odd complications.
Any PSU experts want to chime in on this inquiry?

Got the Seasonic x850, reading one of the reviews, it stated that the PSU can draw around 1000 from the wall. Stellar reviews.

I will be overclockin my 3930k, have SLI 680's or better (at some point), 1SSD, 1HDD, DVD drive, h100i, and around 8 case fans including the 4 for the h100i. How much power draw does that equate to? I've never pushed my PSU to the limits but it seems like having all that goodness would really start to make the PSU work.
Like 600ish watts.

LiquidMetal14

That will work nicely then. Will have to run some tests when I get things up and running. Thanks for the fast response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom