• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFC confirmed for Smash Bros for Wii U

I assume they'll be used to store your custom settings - player name, control defaults, custom character settings, etc. You'd choose which character figure you want to use for your data.

Insta-unlocks seem likely, too, though. Although, of course, when you buy the figurine it can also be used in other games.

Tenki

I would've thought that, much like how Melee and Brawl has more than one way to unlock hidden characters, the NFC figures would be a third way to do it. Sort of like:

TO UNLOCK CAPTAIN FALCON

Beat single player in 8 minutes

- OR -

Play multiplayer for 4 hours

- OR -

Scan your NFC character in

I'd be fine with that. I can carry my Ganondorf figurine everywhere and scan that shit in for guaranteed main in anybody's version. :D
I'm ok with this.

ryanofcall

I'm so looking forward to the figurines! Finally I can get every character at the same size :D
My wallet is crying though.

Oh and I still think that the "Smash 6" we read earlier somewhere is the NFC Game. TW101 was supposed to be something Smash-like in the first place (with crossover characters from Nintendo) So "Smash 6" might be what this was going to be (with NFC) :D

maxcriden

O h dear lord

Mah wallet

image.php

;)

MrT-Tar

I imagine this will be similar to the TCG cards for Kid Icarus: Uprising. Trophies can be unlocked via traditional methods, but also by owning the corresponding card (or in this case figure).

ryanofcall

NFC Figures can be used to transport custom movesets to and from different consoles. I'm assuming that's all.

Maybe they'll also transport your data (unlocked trophies, statistics etc.) when you're playing at your friends place (so you can take home the ones you unlock at your friends). Also you could play with characters your friend hasn't unlocked yet that way. There are many possibilities. Let's face it... I'll buy it anyway even if it's nothing.

EulaCapra

Please no figurines if they're doing the playable roster. I want full fledged 3.75" action figures with points of articulation. :gasp: They can be in their own version of Toy Story. And I'll be Master Hand!

jonno394

NFC Figures can be used to transport custom movesets to and from different consoles. I'm assuming that's all.

Yeah im sure Nintendo said how they wanted people to use the 3DS version on the go to build up their characters, so it makes sense that the figures will be used to switch between consoles and to bring them round mates houses etc

georly

3DS is supposed to be compatible with NFC figures at some point. Hopefully 3DS Smash will be.

I assume they will, otherwise, what's the point? I guess we don't know what NFC is for, but I assume it's how you 'link' the 3DS and Wii U versions.

adroit

So did Nintendo "leak" this on purpose to see how people would react to it...or should we be expecting to see Stephan Bole's obituary published tomorrow? It seems hard to believe the "directeur général de Nintendo France" would leak this accidentally in an arranged interview. Or was Le Figaro supposed to keep this interview under wraps until E3 but screwed up and published it early?

None of this matters now, of course. Just wondering.

Tom_Cody

Assuming that they aren't outrageously overpriced and they look pretty good, I will buy these at the very least:

Pit
Mega Man
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Link
Princess Zelda
Sheik
Geninja
Lucario
King Dedede
Marth
Rosalina & Luma
Toon Link
Pikmin & Olimar
Little Mac (if they have a wire-frame version)
Captain Falcon (I think this is a safe assumption)
Ness (I think this is a safe assumption)

I am ok with this if and only if there is no substantial game content (i.e. characters, stages, modes) that you need a figurine to unlock.

If the figs unlock extras like costumes or additional music tracks, or if they are a way to store your customized characters or whatever, that's fine. In fact, I'd be more likely to buy DLC if it came with a little physical extra that I can decorate my office with.

georly

It depends on WHAT the nfc figures do, of course, but I plan on buying ALL the zelda ones, regardless. Just to have them.

If they're useful, i'll buy anywhere from my smash bros 'mains' to 'all of them', depending on how useful they are.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
> Everybody has their own NFC figurine with their own data on it
> Use your own figurine on your friend's gamepad
> Play with your customized character

Sounds similar to what they did with saving data on the Wii Remotes and using that at a friends place.

Taker666

This could be quite a selling point for future software releases.

They could include exclusive NFC figures with new retail releases allowing you to download the latest version of a character in Smash.

maxcriden

hmm odd. what if this article was just a whole big mistranslation? Could that be the case?

I don't think so. I translated the line from the original article about SSB for Wii U using NFC and I think I did so correctly, although my French is admittedly rusty.

Shiggy

I hope these will unlock stuff that can also be easily unlocked in-game. Don't want to see some ripoff crap like they did with the e-reader back in the day.

Are there cheap NFC writers these days anyway to find a DIY solution?

DrZeus

This could be HUGE for Ninty this holiday season! My e3 hype meter continues to rise surprisingly lol.

Long Live teh Leaks!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To be honest, I'd wait for E3 before thinking about how empty our wallets will be. It could be a screw up of some sorts. Especially considering how October for Smash 3DS shouldn't be possible, since it's a Summer release.

MilesTeg

Banned
The way Nintendo are using NFC, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in many of their games moving forward. One Mario figure for example will be used across various different software. So some of the figurines will presumably have more value than simply being used for just one game.

TreIII

Sounds similar to what they did with saving data on the Wii Remotes and using that at a friends place.

What I was thinking, too.

Since the days of memory cards are far behind us, I'd be fine with this, if it effectively meant another way to save at least some of my game data that isn't exclusively locked to the console itself.

Anth0ny

They'd be dumb not to. Smash lends itself to this kind of stuff more than any other game.

Expecting unlockable trophies at the very least.

Tom_Cody

I hope these will unlock stuff that can also be easily unlocked in-game. Don't want to see some ripoff crap like they did with the e-reader back in the day.
I'm hoping (and I think it's most likely) that they will go the route of the AR cards in Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Physical AR cards can immediately unlock trophies that can also unlocked through other means with-in the game.

FSLink

Banned
I'm hoping (and I think it's most likely) that they will go the route of the AR cards in Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Physical AR cards can immediately unlock trophies that can also unlocked through other means with-in the game.

Yeah and maybe the occasional figurine that unlocks an exclusive trophy but that's not really a huge deal. I don't think they'll tie character DLC or something to them without an alternate way of getting them.

Dr. Buni

Oh well, at least this is apparently only for the Wii U version. Even if you need to buy those toys to unlock stuff, the 3DS version will be free from those shenanigans.

Kouriozan

To be honest, I'd wait for E3 before thinking about how empty our wallets will be. It could be a screw up of some sorts. Especially considering how October for Smash 3DS shouldn't be possible, since it's a Summer release.
But 1st October is Summer + 10 days or so :p

Shiggy

With other teams at Nintendo I'd be more worried, but I think Sakurai is actually interested in fair game design and not user exploitation.

A thought that I just had which would never happen, yet be completely hilarious, is if Nintendo actually used these to announce games. So you'd get your Captain Falcon figure for Smash, unlock him or whatever, then you notice in the box a little slip of paper saying "Oh btw get ready for F Zero UX!"

It'd be amusing, and would likely set the world on fire.

Someone will be pissed at this news. Let's see who it will be.

If it means characters will be locked out without figurines, or some other elements of the game require me to buy figurines, then yes, I'll be pissed about that. Is there a reason that shouldn't piss people off?

Son Of D

I wonder if there will be some sort of cross game NFC stuff as well. For example, if your Link figurine has Hyrule Warriors data stored on it and is activated with Smash it unlocks the HW design costume for Link (as opposed to having to unlock it in-game or buy it as regular DLC).

Top Bottom